BajaNomad

Tuna times in Asuncion...Woody's da man!

shari - 11-1-2009 at 08:34 AM

Nomad Woody finally arrived safe but with some trashed boards...I'll let him tell that tale...so no surf for him but yesterday he and his wife and Boe4fun set out to find tuna.

They fished thier faces off all morning in perfect conditions, calm, no swell, clear water and dolphins and fish everywhere. They limited out on nice tuna, yellowtail and calico...with MS.Woody catching the biggest fish...a yellowfin around 50 lbs...that Juan Carlos had to bring in by hand when her line got a birds nest.

They were happy Nomads but pretty tuckered out! and celebrated their outstanding fishing adventure with Yellowtale Ales!

The campground ladies enjoyed a gorgeous day of shore fishing at San Roque and caught nice Corbina and halibut.

DSC03974-2.JPG - 42kB

mulegemichael - 11-1-2009 at 09:55 AM

shari...you have a way of getting us prepared for our visit...see you in less than a week...hogtie some of those hogs for us, willya....and we have some smelly stuff fer ya too!

Iflyfish - 11-1-2009 at 11:51 AM

Can I have the empty chair please?? Looks about right today!

Iflyfishwhennotensconcedinalawnchairwitharodinmyhand

amirravon - 11-1-2009 at 11:59 AM

LOOK LIKE PARADISE

Diver - 11-1-2009 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

The Woodies sure seem to find the good times, wherever they go !
Nice pair of smiles !!!

fishbuck - 11-1-2009 at 05:13 PM

The weather looks nice!

shari - 11-1-2009 at 05:44 PM

the weather is outstanding....ocean is calmadito...only a light breeze and about 83 degrees....perfecto! Had a great beach day today...we gathered periwinkles...yum yum...all the visitors were shore fishing and relaxing.

BajaWarrior - 11-1-2009 at 10:26 PM

Please let Woody know that I have a Big Freezer in my garage to store any fish he may have, I only charge a steak (or two). :biggrin:

shari - 11-2-2009 at 07:42 PM

woody asked me if you have room in your freezer for this honker?

DSC03979-2.JPG - 33kB

Pither - 11-2-2009 at 08:05 PM

Looks like great fishing in Asuncion right now!
Sheri, there is a chance a buddy and I will be heading your way this next weekend. I was wondering if there is a freezer available in town to freeze up fillets while we're down there?

BajaWarrior - 11-2-2009 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
woody asked me if you have room in your freezer for this honker?

Ha Ha! Good one, but seriously...:lol:

shari - 11-2-2009 at 08:15 PM

Pither....well now ....that depends...ya gotta be really nice to me!!!

Pither - 11-2-2009 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Pither....well now ....that depends...ya gotta be really nice to me!!!

I can be really nice... What's your poison? :bounce:

Bob H - 11-2-2009 at 10:51 PM

Shari, this is a great thread! Would love to see you guys and the dogs again! Bob H

shari - 11-3-2009 at 08:26 AM

well pither...the last campers who bribed me were very successful with some of that fru fru liquor ya can put in coffee...kinda like Baileys!! Now yer talkin freezer space amigo!

here are last nights kayak fishers booty...nomad DanD!

DSC03983-1.JPG - 41kB

woody with a view - 11-5-2009 at 02:15 PM

THANKS SHARI FOR HAVING US AT YOUR SLICE OF HEAVEN. WE'LL BE RETURNING....

after a 12.5 hour run for the border we crossed at 7:30 pm last night. 5.5 hours of sleep and i'm back in 29 palms. i LOVE driving. fishing was off the hook, we only blew up one reel on that 50 pounder that Juan Carlos hoisted aboard.

as for the boards.... about 50 miles north of LA Bay turn off i noticed the big black bungee cord hook wasn't visible in the mirror! RUTROW!!!!! luckily about 8 miles back we came upon two cars parked in the southbound lane fighting the 40 mph winds to get my boards in their trunks. guys with fishing poles were heading for GN. after grabbing my boards outta their trunks (they musta thought i was a maniac!) one guy layed on the boards on the roof of the camper (mucho winds) while i restrapped them down. i borrowed some rope from an older couple a few miles down the road. i forgot to get their names, but they finally arrived in BA that evening.

one fin box is broken out of the longboard. the deck of the 8'6" landed on a rock the size of a big fist and pushed 1/2 through the deck buckling a fin in the process. i haven't had the heart to actually take them out of their board bags yet but i imagine it won't be pretty.....

did i mention the fishing was UNREAL? and Shari has a real 1st class operation going on.....

THANKS FOR A GREAT 5 NIGHTS!!!

shari - 11-5-2009 at 03:18 PM

thanks Woody...glad you made it home safe and sound with all that fish....you guys are the bomb!! these 2 KNOW how to camp...ya shoulda seen the disco ball they had in their princess tent!!

sorry about the boards but hey...there wasnt any surf last week anyway!

Your neighbour and camp queen Shelley has been shore fishing twice a day since you left...she now even baits her own hook and does her own casts. Check out this fat corbina she caught this morning 5.5 lbs...she's the corbina queen now too....she's hooked!!

[Edited on 11-5-2009 by shari]

DSC04006-1.JPG - 36kB

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2009 at 03:24 PM

Getting yellowtail and bonito from a kayak must be a blast (er ... I mean, thrilling).

Sunman - 11-5-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

after a 12.5 hour run for the border we crossed at 7:30 pm last night. 5.5 hours of sleep and i'm back in 29 palms. i LOVE driving. fishing was off the hook, we only blew up one reel on that 50 pounder that Juan Carlos hoisted aboard.

as for the boards.... about 50 miles north of LA Bay turn off i noticed the big black bungee cord hook wasn't visible in the mirror! RUTROW!!!!! luckily about 8 miles back we came upon two cars parked in the southbound lane fighting the 40 mph winds to get my boards in their trunks. guys with fishing poles were heading for GN. after grabbing my boards outta their trunks (they musta thought i was a maniac!) one guy layed on the boards on the roof of the camper (mucho winds) while i restrapped them down. i borrowed some rope from an older couple a few miles down the road. i forgot to get their names, but they finally arrived in BA that evening.

one fin box is broken out of the longboard. the deck of the 8'6" landed on a rock the size of a big fist and pushed 1/2 through the deck buckling a fin in the process. i haven't had the heart to actually take them out of their board bags yet but i imagine it won't be pretty.....

did i mention the fishing was UNREAL? and Shari has a real 1st class operation going on.....

Buuuummmmer...at least you got 'em back, and not soon enough. Close call.

woody with a view - 11-5-2009 at 05:52 PM

yep.

a question was posed after the adrenalin rush subsided a bit. if the guys finding the boards had got them but were heading north, how far do you chase a ghost? with all of the sheer cliffs it would have been really agonizing trying to decide to keep heading north chasing a ghost instead of really looking over the edges everytime..... who knows?

with hundreds of trips into baja since 9th grade, i guess i was due. at least i got them back.

i'll try to post some fish pics this weekend or next week.

[Edited on 11-6-2009 by woody in ob]

Sunman - 11-5-2009 at 11:15 PM

I can dig it. Heading down for a week manana...you can bet I'll be extra careful tying 'em down. ;D

Paulina - 11-6-2009 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

As for those bungee cords, they suck! I've come to the conclusion many years ago that some sort of rope/pull tape/straps is the sure bet for lash down situations, be it surfboards, kayaks, your favorite broom sweepers(ha-ha) and in the construction world, ladders.

There's nothing worse than seeing an 8' ladder spiral off your lumber rack in your rear view mirror on the 101, doing 65mph during rush hour because your blown out rotten bungee decided to call it quits.

I'm sure this won't happen to you ever again.

It's also good to know that those folks that found your boards were cooperative. Gotta love Nomads.

Saludos,

DERN

woody with a view - 11-6-2009 at 12:36 PM

ratcheting tie downs from now on. never a problem before, but never again....

Gadget - 11-6-2009 at 02:08 PM

Been there.
Son and I heading home from trip in the Hermanas in '07.
Crossed a rivine with howling wind blowing down it from the east and my pristine 7'8 Prodanovich pin tail that was riding alone on the rack, double bungied ( it always got to ride by itself) took off like a leaf.
I watched in the side view in panic as it spun off accross the road and disappeared into the ditch on the west side.
It was several miles before we could turn around and come back.
It was sitting fins up, 50 feet off the road in just a canvas Julie Designs bag, with not a scratch or dent on it :?::?::?::tumble::tumble::tumble:
Ratchet straps with foam rail savers are standard equipment for me since.
Sorry to hear your sticks got abused Woody.
I can feel your anguish as you tried to track them back down.
I was flipping and we didn't see or pass a single vehicle getting back to my pinner.

woody with a view - 11-7-2009 at 01:40 PM

Joe Roper says $170 for my 8'6". $140 for the new fin box on the 9'6" epoxy board........ repairs are way cheaper than buying new, right?

at least i got them back, i think!:wow:

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by woody in ob]

woody with a view - 11-8-2009 at 05:22 PM

i guess the tuna bellies coming off the smoker at halftime propelled the CHARGERS to victory!!!!!!

ANDALE'

shari - 11-8-2009 at 06:11 PM

Orale...yummy...the tuna were thick out there today too and very close...just around the corner from San Roque...if I can find those dang papers, maybe I'll smoke a couple tomorrow!!

Oh yeah, and I saw a pod of what I think may have been either humpbacks or maybe fin whales off our place this morning...awesome!!!

capt. mike - 11-9-2009 at 10:23 AM

couple of very positive trip reports on BBP forum re BA and Shari recently.
Doug was the writer. don't know him yet.