BajaNomad

A good day out...

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 03:21 PM

Great day out...

Well after having no contact with Squid these last days, I was getting bored, so I went out diving with three friends yesterday, Sunday. We launched from San Bruno, and took the first dive at Titch's Seamount (named in honour (English spelling) of my youngest daughter) after she dived there last year, while on her school vacation.

Viz was about 25ft to 30ft (7.5m to 9m), surface temps at 79f and no colder at 100ft/30m, and as the reef fell away into the depths, so did the fish life. There was just so much to see and the fish were falling it seemed, into oblivion out into the depths to charge back up the walls and drop once again. This seamount certainly has the potential for big pelagics, and needs exploring to greater depths. A beautiful dive, yet better was to come. This was Beth's Deep Dive on her PADI Advanced Course.

Dive two was near the north light where the resident Sealion population hang out. As we approached, the colony slowly became active, and began dropping into the water in anticipation of playing games with us.
I rolled in and was immediately surrounded by some 30 plus animals, mostly mothers and pups. I was alone with them while the other three continued to kit up, and we played hide and seek and the usual game of tag. The other three divers joined me, and we swam towards the rocks to the WNW at a depth of some 50ft/15m. Viz was better here at about 50ft/15m also. Danya was simply rocking 'n rolling with them, and I hovered back to watch the fun. We were totally immersed in a pride of sealions. What does one call a group of sealions??
I will be heading back in a few days, weather permitting, this time with my underwater camera in tow. Oh to own a UW video outfit!!
Beth did brilliant as she managed to ignore somehow these flashes and up close and personal interactions while searching for the items I had hidden for her to find. She was concentrating so much on her compass navigational U pattern that she failed to note a playful pup riding shotgun and playing in her bubbles.

The final dive was quite bland and boring in many ways, marine life wise. We were on a sandy area and Beth was completing her final dive on her AOW. This was Peak Performance Buoyancy, and although almost no marine life as such, we had fun swimming through hoops, playing with buoyancy and generally getting that "feeling" for good buoyancy control.

Congratulations are in order for Beth successfully completing her PADI Advanced Open Water Course. Ed for finishing successfully his PADI Rescue Course, and to Danya for her first dives in the fabulous Sea of Cortez, and interacting so ballerina like with her new found friends. Definitely a great day out, with the promise of more to come!!

vandenberg - 11-2-2009 at 03:25 PM

Nice post Mick.

dtbushpilot - 11-2-2009 at 03:25 PM

Sounds like you had a blast Mick, wish I had been there. Perhaps I will be some day soon.....dt

Ken Bondy - 11-2-2009 at 03:36 PM

Great post Mick. Hope I can dive with you someday.
++Ken++

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 03:45 PM

Thanks guys for your responses. I do however have a couple of questions for yourselves or indeed others.

That was my first "posting" other than to reply as I am sure you guys are aware, so, question one. How do I place a "signature" on my postings?? I dive, skydive (well used to) climb, run marathons, do all sorts of crazy things that keep me alive, but when it comes to computers, I am in the bottom of the baby buggy with the sh*t, biscuits and dirty diapers. I simply have so little knowledge of computers that it is sometimes embarrassing!!

Question 2. Really, do you guys know what they call a group of Sealions?? A damp Pride?? Wet whiskers??

Finally, Ken, I loved your pictures of the Tiger Shark(s), and so much of your other work. I love photography, but feel that you out do me by a million miles. Definitely nice work.

elgatoloco - 11-2-2009 at 03:55 PM

Pride of sea lions.

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Pride of sea lions.

Really, that simple?? Thanks, I shall remember that...

Santiago - 11-2-2009 at 04:05 PM

From the Marine Mammal Center:

"Sea lions do swim in groups at times. A group of sea lions swimming together or resting in the water is called a “raft.” "

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
From the Marine Mammal Center:

"Sea lions do swim in groups at times. A group of sea lions swimming together or resting in the water is called a “raft.” "

Thanks Santiago. I seem to remember that now from my days studying marine biology part time many centuries ago back in London. Cheers!!

Santiago - 11-2-2009 at 04:22 PM

No problem - I think a group of seals is referred to as a 'harem' - anyone know if I'm remembering right?

I thought seal lions would get aggressive if you got too close to the shore where they are resting -- this right?

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
No problem - I think a group of seals is referred to as a 'harem' - anyone know if I'm remembering right?

I thought seal lions would get aggressive if you got too close to the shore where they are resting -- this right?

I believe you are correct as to seals, but would not stake my life on it.

I make it a rule not to go onto any of the small rocky islands where the sealions are. I have snorkeled up to the shoreline and never felt threatened, but those babies have big teeth. I have been interacting for almost four years with these animals now, and everytime I go there I believe they become "tamer', or at least far more inquisitive. Yesterday's action was by far the best I have had. It was truly amazing, and feel it will only get better.
The bull barked a few times, and even gave us a "fly by" a few times, but never did he become aggressive.

I was filming them for a Japanese TV company two years ago, and the bull was sunning himself on the rocks inches above the waterline. We took the panga in to nudge the shore and he simply looked at us with one eye open, barked and roared, and went back to sleep, mouth wide open and snoring. We were two feet from him!!
The show's producer wanted to get some land footage and tried to slip ashore. She never made it as he was instantly awake and off into the safety of the depths while she still had one foot over the gunnels. Very funny and amazing creatures for sure, and every dive/snorkel gets better.

Bajagypsy - 11-2-2009 at 05:11 PM

Sounds like you had an amazing time! Gosh, wish we were there instead of freezing canada!

capt. mike - 11-2-2009 at 05:21 PM

Mick - we met at Serenidad's pool. will see you soon - maybe i'll round up Ken Bondy too!

Skipjack Joe - 11-2-2009 at 05:25 PM

Quote:

A group of seals is called a club or a pod.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_group_of_seals_called

Perhaps a group of female seals is a harem.

DENNIS - 11-2-2009 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

And thensome......whatever "thensome" means.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question94011.html

vandenberg - 11-2-2009 at 06:54 PM

When we're out and see them we usually say"
"Hey, look at that "bunch" of sealions.".:biggrin::biggrin:

shari - 11-2-2009 at 06:59 PM

hey mick...although we sang God Save Our Gracious Queen every day at school...maybe we canucks have a different lingo...we say a sh*tload of sealions!!! So probably skipjack is correct...he's that kind of guy...so I like the sea lion club idea....we always snorkel with juveniles here and they LOVE to play chicken. Nice to see you posting amigo

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Sounds like you had an amazing time! Gosh, wish we were there instead of freezing canada!

Thanks Bajagypsy, we certainly did. Wish you had been here also. As you said the other day, we still have to dive together, and it would get you away from a freezing Canada. That's one reason I never regret leaving Norway, the bloody cold!! My regards to your other and lesser half. Just don't tell him, he's bigger than me!! XX

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Mick - we met at Serenidad's pool. will see you soon - maybe i'll round up Ken Bondy too!

Of course I remember you Capt Mike. That wa some time back now I believe. Would be great if you could arrange with Ken to get down here. I have an idea about sharks in the area, and Ken would be a great one to involve!!

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_group_of_seals_called

Perhaps a group of female seals is a harem.

Many different answers. All I can say is that a pod, bunch, raft, group, flock, class or whatever is fun to be in the water with. I have had the sheer pleasure of diving all across our watery world, and yet these sealions never cease to amaze and entertain me. Just like Thea, my youngest daughter, comics through and through!!

Thanks for your answer Skipjack Joe. M

Mulegena - 11-2-2009 at 08:15 PM

Mick's right. That part of the Sea of Cortez has some magic going for it.

Each time I've been there diving with Mick and his clients/students or if we manage to get out just the family, we've had some adventures like nowhere else. That colony of sealion are very special-- extra curious and friendly each time we've visited.

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey mick...although we sang God Save Our Gracious Queen every day at school...maybe we canucks have a different lingo...we say a sh*tload of sealions!!! So probably skipjack is correct...he's that kind of guy...so I like the sea lion club idea....we always snorkel with juveniles here and they LOVE to play chicken. Nice to see you posting amigo

Shari, God save the Queen?? You must have been singing about that incredible rock band, Queen, with the equally incredible Freddie Mercury as their lead singer. One of the worlds top rock bands in their day before Freddie died. Look them up if you like Rock 'n Roll, or at the least, rock!!
Sorry you had to suffer such deprivations as singing the national anthem to some woman or family that should not rule over us Brits. Britian should be a republic for sure. Still, that takes us away from the theme of this thing, and thats playing with sealions.

Yes, sealion "club" sounds good to me, but then again, I am not championing anyone in particular as I see I have many answers. I know the fishermen in the NE of England call them a "pain in the arse" and shoot them, then blame divers for scaring them away when tourists come to see these stunning animals. Life never was fair!!

I remember going out with Juan and snorkeling with them when Maria and I were over a few years ago with a certain Gypsy Lady and her man. The two Pacific dives were good, but the sealions were kind of special.

Thanks for your words, I am new at this, have little time, but am enjoyinmg the contact so to speak. I called your house about half a doxzen times last week, but no reply. I will try again on Wednesday probably as tomorrow I am off to Loreto for the day. M

Bajamick - 11-2-2009 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Mick's right. That part of the Sea of Cortez has some magic going for it.

Each time I've been there diving with Mick and his clients/students or if we manage to get out just the family, we've had some adventures like nowhere else. That colony of sealion are very special-- extra curious and friendly each time we've visited.

Yes, we have had some good times out there M, that's for sure. Those sealions are great, and you'll have to dive with me again to see them when you return.

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2009 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey mick...although we sang God Save Our Gracious Queen every day at school...

In Australia the custom was to project a smiling queen on the silver screen at all movie theaters in the evening before the shows started. All movie goers were expected to rise and remain standing while God Save the Queen was being played. Fortunately, none of us were required to sing it as well.

A copy of my orginal post in Gen Discussions

Bajamick - 11-7-2009 at 01:02 PM

Great day out...

Well after having no contact with Squid these last days, I was getting bored, so I went out diving with three friends yesterday, Sunday. We launched from San Bruno, and took the first dive at Titch's Seamount (named in honour (English spelling) of my youngest daughter) after she dived there last year, while on her school vacation.

Viz was about 25ft to 30ft (7.5m to 9m), surface temps at 79f and no colder at 100ft/30m, and as the reef fell away into the depths, so did the fish life. There was just so much to see and the fish were falling it seemed, into oblivion out into the depths to charge back up the walls and drop once again. This seamount certainly has the potential for big pelagics, and needs exploring to greater depths. A beautiful dive, yet better was to come. This was Beth's Deep Dive on her PADI Advanced Course.

Dive two was near the north light where the resident Sealion population hang out. As we approached, the colony slowly became active, and began dropping into the water in anticipation of playing games with us.
I rolled in and was immediately surrounded by some 30 plus animals, mostly mothers and pups. I was alone with them while the other three continued to kit up, and we played hide and seek and the usual game of tag. The other three divers joined me, and we swam towards the rocks to the WNW at a depth of some 50ft/15m. Viz was better here at about 50ft/15m also. Danya was simply rocking 'n rolling with them, and I hovered back to watch the fun. We were totally immersed in a pride of sealions. What does one call a group of sealions??
I will be heading back in a few days, weather permitting, this time with my underwater camera in tow. Oh to own a UW video outfit!!
Beth did brilliant as she managed to ignore somehow these flashes and up close and personal interactions while searching for the items I had hidden for her to find. She was concentrating so much on her compass navigational U pattern that she failed to note a playful pup riding shotgun and playing in her bubbles.

The final dive was quite bland and boring in many ways, marine life wise. We were on a sandy area and Beth was completing her final dive on her AOW. This was Peak Performance Buoyancy, and although almost no marine life as such, we had fun swimming through hoops, playing with buoyancy and generally getting that "feeling" for good buoyancy control.

Congratulations are in order for Beth successfully completing her PADI Advanced Open Water Course. Ed for finishing successfully his PADI Rescue Course, and to Danya for her first dives in the fabulous Sea of Cortez, and interacting so ballerina like with her new found friends. Definitely a great day out, with the promise of more to come!!

DENNIS - 11-7-2009 at 01:31 PM

Hey Mick......FYI.. most everybody here lives on TODAYS POSTS. Look up to the the top of the page and click on that.
Now you can see all posts in all forums as they are posted. This will save you the trouble of duplicating your posts and nobody will miss it.

Just trying to be helpful..:saint:

vgabndo - 11-7-2009 at 03:33 PM

Dennis has a good tip that I am surprised so many don't know. For me it is always just three automatic clicks. BajaNomad...Forums...Today's Posts. Works well for me.

DENNIS - 11-7-2009 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Dennis has a good tip that I am surprised so many don't know. For me it is always just three automatic clicks. BajaNomad...Forums...Today's Posts. Works well for me.

Even quicker, since we're all running short of time.....open TODAY"S POSTS and put that in your favorites and you're there with the first click.
It all works.

Bajamick - 11-7-2009 at 08:53 PM

Cheers and thanks Dennis and Vgabndo for the tip. I'll remember that in future. Have a good weekend, what's left of it...