BajaNomad

Roosters on the beach!

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 09:51 AM

Went for a ride on the beach....I mean a walk...with my sweetie and her smelly dog to do a little swimming and fishing. I've been trying for 2 years to catch a decent size Rooster fish from the beach with little success. It's hard to come up with live bait on the beach and the bigger roosters are almost impossible to catch on a lure. I saw this guy and his twin brother swimming about 40' from the beach and cast out ahead of them. To my surprise they both went after it and this guy was the winner (or loser). To his credit his twin stayed with him giving him encouragement throughout the fight only leaving him at the beach....It was touching.We continued riding....I mean walking down the beach and managed to catch a "fun size" Jack Crevale and one Lady fish landed of a dozen hookups. Those Lady fish have hard mouths. A really fun afternoon with my favorite girl on my favorite beach......what did I do to deserve this?.....dt

[Edited on 11-4-2009 by dtbushpilot]

[Edited on 11-4-2009 by dtbushpilot]

tripledigitken - 11-4-2009 at 09:58 AM

Congrats, what a beautiful catch. Looks like you caught it on some light tackle as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

castaway$ - 11-4-2009 at 11:16 AM

It's nice to see a fishing report other than Asuncion (no offense to Asuncion).
Were headed down in early December for a month or so and I have been watching the reports to see what kind of action is going on. All reports are appreciated, We'll be hitting all the stops from San Q to Cabo so if you have reports, pics or stories please share since Gene isn't reporting anymore and his replacement seems a bit inconsistent so far.

pacside - 11-4-2009 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
All reports are appreciated, We'll be hitting all the stops from San Q to Cabo so if you have reports, pics or stories please share since Gene isn't reporting anymore and his replacement seems a bit inconsistent so far.

Here's a text I received on 11/3 from a friend fishing off his little panga about mile out on Playa Los Cerritos:

"MUGGED ém today: 5 dodo, 60 lbs filleted. Got 30lb 4ér on light rod. Best day so far. Woohoo!"

pacside

pacside - 11-4-2009 at 11:31 AM

dtbushpilot
you must be a skilled shoreline fisherman to catch these big fish. enjoyed the pics.
pacside

Russ - 11-4-2009 at 11:44 AM

David, Very nice! I've been catching a lot of 12"ers from shore here. But that rooster would really put a grin on my mug! Just came in from a two hour tour in "Got Soap?". Got a few more dink roosters and a couple o dink cabrilla. It's all good when you're fishing. Thanks for the report. I suppose the Peanut is a bit heavy to toss with your surf rig ;D

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 11:47 AM

Thanks pacside.

I think its more a matter of how often I go than how good I am at it. Anybody can get lucky once in a while. I'm blessed with miles of beach to fish from with with water often smooth enough to see the fish I am targeting. The East cape really is a beach fisherman's paradise.....dt

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
David, Very nice! I've been catching a lot of 12"ers from shore here. But that rooster would really put a grin on my mug! Just came in from a two hour tour in "Got Soap?". Got a few more dink roosters and a couple o dink cabrilla. It's all good when you're fishing. Thanks for the report. I suppose the Peanut is a bit heavy to toss with your surf rig ;D

Yes russ, she's hard to cast from the beach even if I use a heavier rod. She does troll pretty good though.:lol::lol:....dt

bajabass - 11-4-2009 at 12:49 PM

Looks like a great top water lure!!:lol:

baitcast - 11-4-2009 at 01:06 PM

The Ferrari of the surf zone,nothing compares with it.
Rob

Russ - 11-4-2009 at 01:08 PM

She'd fit just perfect in "Got Soap?"s bait tank.
~~ here all I got other than dink roosters. ~~

2 fish 11:4:09.jpg - 47kB

TheColoradoDude - 11-4-2009 at 03:30 PM

Awesome catch. Would you mind sharing your set up? lb test? Lure?

Thanks

Iflyfish - 11-4-2009 at 03:39 PM

Awesome!

Iflyfish

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheColoradoDude
Awesome catch. Would you mind sharing your set up? lb test? Lure?

Thanks

Rod: Shimano Teramar 7'6"
Reel: Shimano Curado 300 DSV
Lure: Luhr-Jensen Crippled Herring, 1oz, blue over chrome
Line: 40lb Spectra braid with a 15' top shot of 20lb fluorocarbon.
I use a variety of lures with a variety of success. Krocodiles are usually good for anything that swims and eats. Anything that looks like a sardine is a good bet. I've caught about everything on a Rapala Sub Walk. I've had some success with Scampi type lures. I've also had some success with swim baits but don't use them much because the needle fish really like them and bite the tails off. I did catch a small rooster last week on a swim bait without a tail. Didn't have anything else with me when it got bit off so I just kept throwing it.....ya never know....dt

tripledigitken - 11-4-2009 at 04:15 PM

Braid sure has changed fishing. That rig looked to me like it could have been spooled with 8-12# test.

Nice setup.

Ken

TheColoradoDude - 11-4-2009 at 04:15 PM

Awesome info thanks! Is that 15' for a shock leader? I have always debated on using leaders.

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 04:33 PM

Ken, if I was bass fishing at my local lake I would use light line. I would imagine this type of outfit usually is spooled with lighter stuff but for the type of fishing I do with it and the possibility of running into "the big one" I wanted the heavier stuff. This is the first outfit I've ever used Braid on and it took a bit of getting used to but I'm sold on it now. The reel doesn't have a very big spool so you have to use light line or Braid to have adequate line capacity. I got to use line that I had never seen while fighting the rooster, he made some impressive runs.

colorado dude, You do get some stretch and shock absorption from the leader but the reason I use a leader is so that the fish don't see the line. The Braid I use is white and probably ease to see. A small knot at the leader connection is essential with this set up as any hesitation of the line when passing through the guides will cause a backlash like you've never seen. A backlash with braid is no fun to untangle, it doesn't have any "memory" like mono so it just lays there in a tangled mess......dt

castaway$ - 11-4-2009 at 05:29 PM

dt, I use Spectrex braid but I struggle with good knots to join the braid and mono or flouro, what kind of knot do you use?
c$

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 05:52 PM

castaway$, I use a single layer Albright and have had good results with it...dt

mulegemichael - 11-4-2009 at 06:02 PM

you be da man, amigo....we just slayed em here today...roz and i went out alone in our boat and it was nonstop action...wish ya was here...m.

Von - 11-4-2009 at 06:03 PM

mmmmmm delicious looking~~~

castaway$ - 11-4-2009 at 06:04 PM

I just went to netknots.com and they had a "special albright" looked like a good solid knot that is easy to tie, I'll try it, thanks dt.
Hey btw where are you at? We are going to have boats with us but I do enjoy surf fishing with a cold cerveza. Last trip I caught some small roosters of the beach by Tecolote but nothing to write home about so I'm looking for a little better hunting grounds.
Steve

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 06:15 PM

We are in Buena Vista.

If I'm not mistaken the "special Albright" is wound up then back over itself. Looks like a good knot. The standard Albright is only wound down on one layer 12 or 13 turns and makes a smaller knot I think.

I bought a new outfit and let the guy at the tackle shop tie a Bimini Twist to the leader. It was a beautiful knot but a mess trying to cast it. There is a good story that goes along with it but I need to find a picture to make the story good. I'll look for it....dt

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
you be da man, amigo....we just slayed em here today...roz and i went out alone in our boat and it was nonstop action...wish ya was here...m.

Hi Mike, got the picture of roz with the Sierra.....sweeeeet. I wish we were there too......dt

4baja - 11-6-2009 at 07:35 AM

nice fish!! hooked into four around three weeks ago just south of my place in BOLA. to much fun. cal-star jig stick/ torium 30.

rooster 047.jpg - 48kB

4baja - 11-6-2009 at 07:37 AM

2:lol:

rooster 006.jpg - 41kB

shari - 11-6-2009 at 07:43 AM

ah dt....well done amigo and thanks for my favorite nomad doggy photo...good old Peanut! so glad you are catching fish down there.

OK...so I wont tell you all about the wahoo caught yesterday...nor the parade of corbina...nor the constant double tuna hookups this morning in asuncion:P

Russ - 11-6-2009 at 08:51 AM

Shari, That's just mean!:no: