BajaNomad

dt gets a new fishing rod

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 07:07 PM

I decided to get a new rod and reel. I wanted something a little heavier than my "bass rod" that I've been using but not as big as my 30# outfit. Something that I could cast from the beach or pitch a large bait from a boat. I decided on an 8' Shimano Teramar with a Shimano Trinidad TN14.

I was dealing with a young guy that I didn't know, the guy I usually deal with wasn't there. I asked him to spool it with 60# Spectra and we would tie on a 30# leader. Everything went well until he started to tie on the leader. He started to tie a Bimini Twist and I said "lets use an albright so that it will be a smaller knot. He replied that "they would only guarantee a Bimini Twist connection.....I replied "what are you going to do if it fails, give me a fish?"....he didn't even smile, maybe it wasn't funny.

Anyway, I said OK, go ahead. He proceeded to tie a beautiful knot that I knew wouldn't work but no worries, we'll deal with it later.

I tied on a 2oz swim bait and headed to the beach. I tried to cast that thing about a dozen times with no luck. I could have thrown a cat through the rod guides easier than that knot. After one backlash after another I had had enough, I cut it off and tied an Albright.

I noticed that I hadn't trimmed the tag end of the leader as short as I usually do but figured it would be OK. I headed down to the beach and started casting....gently at first....everything seemed OK so I wound up and gave a mighty heave.......as soon as I released my thumb I felt something pop. That long tag caught the first guide and snapped the leader off. I watched helplessly as my lure and leader sailed off into the distance and my new reel puked up about 200 yards of line. I've never seen such a mess.....

I took it home, opened a beer and went to work. I had to take a break or two and drink several more beers but I finally got it untangled.

I haven't used the new rod as much as I thought I would, the old one is so much more "user friendly". Guess I need to suck it up and get used to it.....dt

TheColoradoDude - 11-4-2009 at 07:14 PM

Good stuff!!

Russ - 11-4-2009 at 07:43 PM

Life ain't fair! I just bought a Shamano Curado 2007E. Probably too light for your needs but it doesn't back lash period. And I do know how to backlash! There is a larger version that may be lager enough for your needs. It's a bait caster but it out cast my spinning rods. It has really surprised me how well it works.
~~Maybe you could get by with a shorter top shot? I have 20# braided with a 10# 7' leaded and connect it with a loop at each end. So far no breaks or knot failures. I'll let you know how it works if I ever hook a real fish. Like your rooster. What a drag buying the perfect outfit and it wants to be a loom. :rolleyes: Well, good luck!

Just read your other post.
Rod: Shimano Teramar 7'6"
Reel: Shimano Curado 300 DSV
Lure: Luhr-Jensen Crippled Herring, 1oz, blue over chrome
Line: 40lb Spectra braid with a 15' top shot of 20lb fluorocarbon.
That should be the up side of mine. I feel for you. It should work like a dream.

[Edited on 11-5-2009 by Russ]

Diver - 11-4-2009 at 08:18 PM

Check out this story about magging your reel.
You can just partially mag to make the reel controllable.
The Trinidads spin pretty fast for most of us.

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2009 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Life ain't fair! I just bought a Shamano Curado 2007E. Probably too light for your needs but it doesn't back lash period. And I do know how to backlash! There is a larger version that may be lager enough for your needs. It's a bait caster but it out cast my spinning rods. It has really surprised me how well it works.
~~Maybe you could get by with a shorter top shot? I have 20# braided with a 10# 7' leaded and connect it with a loop at each end. So far no breaks or knot failures. I'll let you know how it works if I ever hook a real fish. Like your rooster. What a drag buying the perfect outfit and it wants to be a loom. :rolleyes: Well, good luck!

Just read your other post.
Rod: Shimano Teramar 7'6"
Reel: Shimano Curado 300 DSV
Lure: Luhr-Jensen Crippled Herring, 1oz, blue over chrome
Line: 40lb Spectra braid with a 15' top shot of 20lb fluorocarbon.
That should be the up side of mine. I feel for you. It should work like a dream.

Yes russ, the Curado does work like a dream. There was a bit of a learning curve but I have no problems with it now. I can cast it further than anything else that I have owned and backlashes are a thing of the past. It does require more maintenance than anything else that I've used but then again, it gets more use than anything I have ever had......but with the new outfit comes a new learning curve. I'm actually getting pretty good at it now and can throw a lure almost as far with the Trinidad as the Curado.....

Give Mason a scratch for me....dt

Osprey - 11-5-2009 at 08:30 AM

dt, I'm not gonna google up Mr. Albright, the knot guy but I have a couple of theories about the knot.
1. Two lines in his tackle box got tangled up, he couldn't untangle them, made a study of how they got together, called it a knot.
2. He started to tie a knot by twisting one line around the other 10 times to make a knot -- he forgot he'd already done that and went the other way.
It is not a knot. I use it cause it works but I expect it to break every time I get a fish on.

vandenberg - 11-5-2009 at 09:02 AM

I know that all distance casting records are set with baitcasting reels, but somehow the trick of casting properly has always escaped me. Use them for trolling only and maybe short (very) casts. Spend too many hours undoing those backlashes and stuck to spinning reels only for casting.
And I'm not a newcomer to this game. Caught loads of fish from riverbanks and beaches.

Russ - 11-5-2009 at 12:05 PM

I just looked thru the reels I seldom use and found a Diawa Saltigo 30. I tried it form the surf and had a few big bird nests but that didn't turn me off on it. Trying to keep the line level while surf fishing was one too many steps for my unidirectional brain. Excellent boat rod though. But the early model has NO clicker. Will trade for the Curado 300E.

Pescador - 11-5-2009 at 01:03 PM

If you are going to cast with spectra, the only way I have found to do this successfully is to use Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra and put the mono up the inside and then bind it. I use this on my Yo-Yo outfit and have never hung up at all. The idea with the magnets is also very valuable. I have a new Avet two speed with magnetic casting and I throw this thing all day and never have had a "Professional Overspin".

[Edited on 11-5-2009 by Pescador]

Cardon Man - 11-6-2009 at 07:12 AM

I'm sorta confused about the way they set up your new rod/reel...Was it a "top shot" of 30# mono or a true leader? I'm envisioning a top shot other wise why would you be casting the knot through the guides? I fish nothing but spectra on my surf casting gear ( all Shimano...but spinning not casting ) however my leaders are never so long as to have to cast them though the guides. I fish a fluoro leader of about 4 feet. This is connected to the spectra via a small barrel swivel.
The long and short of it....why mess around with such a long length of mono for casting from the beach?

Diver - 11-6-2009 at 07:27 AM

Oooo, casting spectra can be tricky.
I back with spectra, use a long enough mono top shot that I only cast the mono, and add a short flouro leader when needed.

For joining the lines, a short section of JB hollow in the appropriate size makes a great splice between almost any lines.

[Edited on 11-6-2009 by Diver]

55steve - 11-6-2009 at 11:36 PM

WOW...that is a monster backlash!

bajabass - 11-7-2009 at 09:54 AM

Surely a birds nest to be proud of! My new Avet MXL 2 speed MC has not done that to me yet. Though I only have used mono up to this point. I have a different kelp-cutter rig that I use braid on, and I can cast it, but it is weird. The braid comes off the spool a lot differently than mono. Great for yanking big fish out of the kelp though!

dtbushpilot - 11-7-2009 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
I'm sorta confused about the way they set up your new rod/reel...Was it a "top shot" of 30# mono or a true leader? I'm envisioning a top shot other wise why would you be casting the knot through the guides? I fish nothing but spectra on my surf casting gear ( all Shimano...but spinning not casting ) however my leaders are never so long as to have to cast them though the guides. I fish a fluoro leader of about 4 feet. This is connected to the spectra via a small barrel swivel.
The long and short of it....why mess around with such a long length of mono for casting from the beach?

Large Rooster Fish are almost impossible to catch without live bait. That said, there are ways to improve your chances. If they are actively feeding (crashing bait) and your lure happens to get in front of them at that moment (no easy feat) you might get lucky. They can also be competitive with each other so if you find them hunting in a group your chances are better. It is important to give yourself the best chance to get lucky.

Large roosters are very shy. If you throw a lure in front of them close enough to hear it they are gone. I want to give myself the best chance (slim as it is) to catch one.

The braid that I use is white. I think the Roosters can see it. I want to have enough leader (top shot, whatever you want to call it) so that maybe they won't notice the string that it is tied to. Does it work? Maybe.

I've found that if I carefully tie an Albright and trim the tag end on the fluorocarbon leader right at the knot it does just fine. I was throwing a 6oz lure with it today and never had a problem due to my line connection. I had other issues but that's another story. I'm getting better at it and was able to throw that thing farther than I thought possible. Here's a picture of the connection.

I'm sure a short leader could work, you could probably tie your lure straight to the braid and catch one. I think a long top shot of fluoro gives me the best chance for success....dt

Russ - 11-7-2009 at 05:50 PM

Looks like you're ready to slay a 40 pound rooster now. Go get'm dt. Don't for get the camera:)

dtbushpilot - 11-7-2009 at 05:56 PM

Thanks Russ. Went today and had a couple of good fish on but they escaped, don't know what they were. I think maybe I'm not setting the hook hard enough for big fish....or maybe I should take up a different hobby.....dt

woody with a view - 11-7-2009 at 07:04 PM

the one(s) that got away are the one(s) that keep you coming back. otherwise, it would get boring....

DENNIS - 11-7-2009 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I think maybe I'm not setting the hook hard enough for big fish....or maybe I should take up a different hobby.....dt

Did you get a knot tying merit badge when you were in the Fishing Scouts?

dtbushpilot - 11-8-2009 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I think maybe I'm not setting the hook hard enough for big fish....or maybe I should take up a different hobby.....dt

Did you get a knot tying merit badge when you were in the Fishing Scouts?

No Dennis, no merrit badges for me. When I was a kid we were too poor for me to join cub scouts, boy scouts, little league baseball or football. Couldn't afford uniforms or shoes you couldn't wear every day....."We don't need no steenkin badges".....dt

Udo - 11-8-2009 at 02:59 PM

Great informatoin, DT. Helps me to be better prepared for my future fishing excursions.
I print this and save it in my yakfishingfile.:bounce:

Osprey - 11-8-2009 at 03:50 PM

It's a good thing to lose fish now and then. When I catch a fish that weighs in at lets say 8 pounds, that's that but if I lose that fish it weighs almost 15 pounds. It's the damndest thing. All the really big ones get off somehow. It does stand to reason that bigger fish are stronger, probably have more tricks to escape than small fry. If I were to add up the combined weight of the ones I brought to the boat, then do the same to the ones that got unstuck, I turn out to be quite a sportsman.

ReaAye - 11-15-2009 at 08:10 PM

I am fishing every week with my friends and sometimes with my family. The best part when I am fishing If my bait will be bitten by a fish . I feel so excited after the fish bite my bait.

Russ - 11-16-2009 at 06:45 AM

It's really blowing here this morning! Average wind speed around 25mph and the high gust was 44! So since I can't fish I'm day dreaming (as usual) about the new reel I ordered. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SC3ER.html... and a longer heaver rod to go with it, of course. I love day dreams. Some how they never reveal that I never catch big fish. And the idea I already have more fishing gear than anyone needs never comes to mind either until after I've placed an order. And I that I just bought a new surf fishing outfit 2 months ago. So this morning I changed my desktop photo ....

Curado 300E.jpg - 47kB

billgow - 11-22-2009 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
as soon as I released my thumb I felt something pop.

I'm an old tyme mono guy, terrified of theses new fangled spectra thingies. I've pondered this connection and searched far and wide for an answer. I admit to knowing nothing about this subject but if I were to use this miracle tackle, I might try this;

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/fishingvideos/videos/103...

BTW - I can't cast a conventional either.....:(

dtbushpilot - 11-22-2009 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
It's really blowing here this morning! Average wind speed around 25mph and the high gust was 44! So since I can't fish I'm day dreaming (as usual) about the new reel I ordered. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SC3ER.html... and a longer heaver rod to go with it, of course. I love day dreams. Some how they never reveal that I never catch big fish. And the idea I already have more fishing gear than anyone needs never comes to mind either until after I've placed an order. And I that I just bought a new surf fishing outfit 2 months ago. So this morning I changed my desktop photo ....

Russ, the Curado is sweet but requires some maintenance. I've cleaned mine a couple of times but hadn't in a couple of months of almost every day fishing. I noticed that it wasn't working as well as it should so when it refused to go into release mode I took it apart and was pretty embarrassed by what I found.

I must admit that I'm a "ride it hard and put it up wet" kind of guy when it comes to my fishing gear but you can't do that with the Curado. It really isn't a salt water reel and will need to be disassembled and cleaned regularly.

Expect to find the original drag washers fused to the plates the first time you service it. It would be a good idea to get a set of spares for it. I had to scrape mine off with a knife.

After cleaning, lubing and servicing it yesterday this was my reward.

Good luck with the new outfit....dt

Russ - 11-24-2009 at 06:41 AM

dt, I have noticed the Curado needs 5X the service of my other, put away wet, gear. But it is worth the extra time. I'll see if I can order some spare drag washers today. I should be spooling up the new 300 this time next week. I was told it arrived. I tried pushing all the brakes in and instant back lash so with just two brake pieces freed up no more worries. Nice photo
I was hoping to get out in "Got Soap?" this morning but at first light there's a 10mph breeze and building. Maybe maņana.....
Photo of a small grouper I got last time out in the boat.
Eddit:i look inside mine http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=...

[Edited on 11-24-2009 by Russ]

Grouper.jpg - 47kB

bajabass - 11-24-2009 at 08:08 AM

I see tortillas and lime in his future.