BajaNomad

Last Sunday at La Fonda in La Mision, Ensenada

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 07:18 PM

Last Sunday we went to the buffet brunch at La Fonda.

The restaurant was busy, with the outside, beach-front tables full of happy people dining in the sunlight. We talked to several people, Americans, who told us that this was their first time back south of the border, because they were frightened by all the “bad news reports”.

All of them said that they were enjoying a wonderful time.

No prime rib, but I didn’t ask. There was a very tasty roast pork on the carving board.

The tortilla lady was making fresh tortillas at a furious pace for the waiting patrons.

The paella was OK for a standing buffet dish and generously stocked with very large tiger shrimp and clams.. The shrimp were dry, but not bad, the clams were dry, but not bad, but the other proteins (chicken and sausage) were dry and tasteless, and the rice was just there

The huevos rancheros were very good, set out on a small tray and frequently replaced so that the eggs had decent runny yolks. (BTW, they have sneeze guards set out now.)

They had French fries, sausage patties and onion gravy which were tasty. The fries were limp, but obviously fresh cut. I went back for seconds on the fries and gravy.

Tacquitos and quesadillas were made in small amounts and continuously refreshed along with the guacamole and salsa containers.

The pancakes didn’t wow the hubby, but they were freshly prepared to order and VERY large, Coconut and fake maple syrup were available.

The patty sausage was OK, but not very flavorful.

The various guisados. i.e., the chile Colorado, chile verde, bistek ranchero, menudo, etc. looked and smelled good, but I did not sample them.

We were too full to try any desserts, but I saw flan, cake and jello type sweets.

My only regret is that I didn’t get a sautéed brown-sugar-coated banana or two.

Always leave wishing for more – so, next Sunday

Paulina - 11-10-2009 at 07:24 PM

Gypsy Jan,

I've never been to La Fonda, my neighbor in Punta Banda swore by the Sunday brunch there. I thought he was crazy for making the drive there and back for a meal.

Thanks for your report. Maybe someday we'll give it a shot.

By the way, I love your signature line. Sr. Hemingway knew how to tell it, didn't he?

P<*)))>{

Bajahowodd - 11-10-2009 at 07:24 PM

They really know how to do pork. I'm glad to see they had a great turnout.

Drive Forty Miles for Brunch at La Fonda?

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 07:33 PM

That's Nuts!

La Fonda is five miles from our home, an easy Sunday drive along a beautiful, winding coastline.

La Fonda is quaint and attractive, but the food is nothing to write home about. There are so many good restaurants in Ensenada and the Sunday brunch at Las Rosas Hotel and Hotel Coral are still stellar, if our friends are telling me the truth.

All of these places offer an ocean view.

knuckles - 11-10-2009 at 07:45 PM

Gypsy Jan:
We used enjoy La Fonda years ago before they moved locations. I think a gentleman named Dimeitre ran it. Do you know any of the history as to when or why, it moved or did it change hands? The few times we have been back it has just been so so food, but you can't be the view and location. They used to prepare a suckling pig that was outstanding.

Dmytri "Retired"

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 07:53 PM

About four years ago, but the handwriting on the menu chalkboards looks suspiciously familiar.

DENNIS - 11-10-2009 at 07:54 PM

"Drive Forty Miles for Brunch at La Fonda?"

Who said that?

dean miller - 11-10-2009 at 07:54 PM

"My only regret is that I didn’t get a sautéed brown-sugar-coated banana or two"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bananas Foster?

or

brown sugar -coated banana?

Paulina - 11-10-2009 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
"Drive Forty Miles for Brunch at La Fonda?"

Who said that?

Just curious, how many miles is it round trip from P.B. to La Fonda?
I always thought he was crazy, but that's just me.

P<*)))>{

Brown-Sugar-Coated Bananas

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 08:01 PM

Sitting on the grill, next to where the pancakes and individual egg orders are prepared.

Hi Paulina - Hemingway

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 08:06 PM

Uhmm, if family history is correct, he bounced me on his knee as a baby.

Also, my my father had a last interview with him before his passing, but could not or chose not to publish.

[Edited on 11-11-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

Dennis, Paulina Said Her Neighbor in Punta Banda

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 08:12 PM

would drive to La fonda for brunch.

Paulina - 11-10-2009 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Uhmm, if family history is correct, he bounced me on his knee as a baby.

Also, my my father had a last interview with him before his passing, but could not or chose not to publish.

My grandfather also had a history with the man, so much so that he fashioned his life after him, as well as his ending. I can understand your father's dilemma.

P<*)))>{

DENNIS - 11-10-2009 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Just curious, how many miles is it round trip from P.B. to La Fonda?
I always thought he was crazy, but that's just me.

P<*)))>{

Oh...did you say that?
Well...let's see........Maybe twenty five miles to the toll gate and another twenty to La Fonda....uh....that's a hundred and thirty miles each way.
What do I know....

Paulina - 11-10-2009 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

...What do I know....

You know that I love you....:P

P<*)))>{

DENNIS - 11-10-2009 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
[
You know that I love you....:P

P<*)))>{

Thanks..:yes:

Paulina - 11-10-2009 at 08:25 PM

And, I bet you're relieved to know that this post was actually coming from me and not my evil twin who doesn't know how to use the Quote box.

Sorry for the hijack. How 'bout them brown sugary bananas?

P<*)))>{

An eat off.....

bajaguy - 11-10-2009 at 08:30 PM

Hey Jan.....you will have to do a Sunday brunch at Baja Mamas in Punta Banda then do a comparison review article.

I Love Punta Banda

Gypsy Jan - 11-10-2009 at 08:41 PM

And the invitation for an "eat off" is welcomed.

Maybe you can help me justify a shopping trip and visit to your favorite restaurant to Mr. GJ? Discounts and pancakes?

bajaguy - 11-10-2009 at 08:45 PM

Pancakes, clams, oysters, omlettes, desserts, ocean view

Terry

BajaRob - 11-11-2009 at 06:21 AM

I'm with you on Baja Mama's. We had the brunch there 2 years ago when we stayed with Mike & Mary ( the lobbyist from Carson City ) in the house they rented in Punta Banda. I know that some locals don't care for it but some such as Big Mike of the PB Yacht Club and we loved it.

Cyanide41 - 11-11-2009 at 12:39 PM

Last September we had brunch there and I can't say I was impressed with the food. My friend from Playas de Tijuana swore up and down it was great. The best part of the meal was the surf session before hand at K58.

DENNIS - 11-11-2009 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
Big Mike of the PB Yacht Club .

Mike has never seen a plate of food he didn't like. :lol::lol:
Just kiddin' Big Guy.

elgatoloco - 11-11-2009 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Gypsy Jan,

I've never been to La Fonda, my neighbor in Punta Banda swore by the Sunday brunch there. I thought he was crazy for making the drive there and back for a meal.

Thanks for your report. Maybe someday we'll give it a shot.

By the way, I love your signature line. Sr. Hemingway knew how to tell it, didn't he?

P<*)))>{

You better NOT think about going there without calling us! The first Sangre de Maria is on us! :dudette: :biggrin:

Meeeyoww!

Gypsy Jan - 11-11-2009 at 01:08 PM

Sr. Crazy Cat, your cunning claws are showing.

Paulina, the bloody mary's are included in the price of the brunch, which I believe is $13.95 U.S. per person.

elgatoloco - 11-11-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles
Gypsy Jan:
We used enjoy La Fonda years ago before they moved locations. I think a gentleman named Dimeitre ran it. Do you know any of the history as to when or why, it moved or did it change hands? The few times we have been back it has just been so so food, but you can't be the view and location. They used to prepare a suckling pig that was outstanding.

It moved because the waiters union black-flagged the place and the head of the Union told the owner during negotiations that “you will meet all our demands because you need us more then we need you”. Mr. D called his bluff and turned his own house in to Nuevo La Fonda. The first day he was open my dad and I had a nice Mexican omelet prepared to order by Mr. D himself. It was sad what happened to a lot of the old waiters, some of them had been there 25-30 years and overnight they were out of a job. A lot of the “runners” became waiters at the new place because they were non union.

I was sorry to see the “old” La Fonda close as I had spent many a fine day and night at the place enjoying the scenery and the dance floor and all the interesting folks one would meet in the bar. Happy hour was all day long. My wife and I had our first date at the old place on September 16th. While the food could/can be uneven the ambiance was/is nearly unrivaled. IMEO.:smug:

elgatoloco - 11-11-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
About four years ago, but the handwriting on the menu chalkboards looks suspiciously familiar.

It has actually been 5 years since Mr. D sold, but he did hang around for awhile. The very first night under new ownership was November 5th 2004. We had 50 guests at La Fonda for a surprise 80th birthday party for my father and he was VERY surprised. Good times! :yes:

elgatoloco - 11-11-2009 at 05:17 PM

Quote:

Paulina, the bloody mary's are included in the price of the brunch, which I believe is $13.95 U.S. per person.

My plan is foiled.:no::dudette::saint::lol:

tripledigitken - 11-11-2009 at 05:38 PM

Would someone describe the prior location? I know I had to have been there, but I can't remember where it was.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

elgatoloco - 11-11-2009 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Would someone describe the prior location? I know I had to have been there, but I can't remember where it was.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

It was south of and attached to the hotel. Now it is north and next to same.

Paulina - 11-11-2009 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:

My plan is foiled.:no::dudette::saint::lol:

Never! No foiling allowed in this family! If when and ever we get the wild hair you and Barb will be the first ones to know about it.

xoxo,
p<*)))>{

Rumor...

Dave - 11-12-2009 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles
Gypsy Jan:

has it that Dmytri will soon take the place back. I've heard that this includes the hotel but not the restaurant...but I expect all to follow. The new owners aren't performing.

Given his age, he's not pleased about it.

DENNIS - 11-12-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Given his age, he's not pleased about it.

Saying most respectfully, the man is a dinosaur. Next we'll hear that he's going to open a dental practice in the building.

Lindalou - 11-12-2009 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Pancakes, clams, oysters, omlettes, desserts, ocean view
Do not forget the biscuits and gravey and you'd better get to them right away as she sometimes runs out of buscits!:(

Bob H - 11-12-2009 at 12:00 PM

I remember the old location... I think the new location is much nicer. They basically opened up their house to make way for the expansion into the new location to the north. Are the chickens still there walking around while you eat?
Fantastic experience there on Sunday's.
Bob H

DanO - 11-12-2009 at 12:50 PM

Yes, the chickens are there, at least when my kids aren't there chasing them around.

tripledigitken - 11-12-2009 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Thanks in advance.

Ken

It was south of and attached to the hotel. Now it is north and next to same.

Elgatoloco,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ken

bajabound2005 - 11-12-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Hey Jan.....you will have to do a Sunday brunch at Baja Mamas in Punta Banda then do a comparison review article.

Terry, you are NUTS. They can't PAY me to go there. They are supposed to open at 10:00 for brunch...they might be ready by 10:30 for your 10:00 reservation if you're lucky. It takes 45 minutes to get your far too overcooked omelet, the place stinks like cigarette smoke and there are dogs running all over the place (the latter is true at my house, too...but it's our home). They add stuff on to your bill that you didn't order. Far too much salt added to the food. All the desserts come from Costco. And the service is pathetic at best. The setting is fabulous....and that's the only positive thing I can say.

But, Jan! Please do go and compare!

Dearest bajabound

Gypsy Jan - 11-13-2009 at 12:11 AM

Bunta Banda is, what can I say, geographically undesirable for a casual Sunday Brunch destination from where we start.

Lo siento, mucho.

postholedigger - 11-13-2009 at 11:37 PM

Sunday brunch buffet is good. Been there a few times. Though I've heard that it's half price on weekdays. Never been there anytime besides the weekend. Work and all...

bajafam - 11-15-2009 at 09:57 AM

We would drive all night for brunch at La Fonda (and we have!). Now I'm really craving some of the Chile Colorado.....oh, it just melts in your mouth! And my kids love the pancakes! We have never had a bad plate of food...occasionally slow service, but always a pleasure!

Mexicorn - 11-15-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Quote:

Terry, you are NUTS. They can't PAY me to go there. They are supposed to open at 10:00 for brunch...they might be ready by 10:30 for your 10:00 reservation if you're lucky. It takes 45 minutes to get your far too overcooked omelet, the place stinks like cigarette smoke and there are dogs running all over the place (the latter is true at my house, too...but it's our home). They add stuff on to your bill that you didn't order. Far too much salt added to the food. All the desserts come from Costco. And the service is pathetic at best. The setting is fabulous....and that's the only positive thing I can say.

But, Jan! Please do go and compare!

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A STRAIGHT UP DUMP LIKE TACOS DE HORSEMEAT DE CANTAMAR-PS I HOPE THE c-ckAROACHS FROM THAT TACO STAND DONT RELOCATE TO THE PALM GRIL THAT WOULD BE A TRAGEDY HUH?

bajaguy - 11-15-2009 at 10:58 AM

One persons opinion.......we do not eat ther often, but it is a different experience from other places.....plenty of local color, great view and so far no problems with the food.......I get my money's worth on the clams and oysters.

One should try places themselves, then make your own decisions