BajaNomad

Tacos El Yaqui Closed by Health Dept: Horse Meat

Woooosh - 11-12-2009 at 11:52 AM

Word around around Rosarito Beach is the beloved Tacos El Yaqui has been closed by the Department of Health and is no more. An on-site test of the meat they were using came back as Horse. Apparently that heavy handed seasonings they used contained a lot of meat tenderizers too. They sure tasted good though.

A local man was caught stealing a horse, and said he was going to butcher it for meat...

Can anyone confirm?

[Edited on 11-12-2009 by Woooosh]

Bob H - 11-12-2009 at 12:02 PM

Whatever they used for meat... it was darn good! I hope they reopen soon!
Bob H:bounce:

capt. mike - 11-12-2009 at 12:12 PM

i still say generally horses are no smarter than cows.

i once knew a pretty smart mule. he was a smart arse.
we ate horse in Mazatlan in 1974. tasted ok i think. the Fench eat it all the time.

what's with the auto edits??

[Edited on 11-12-2009 by capt. mike]

Woooosh - 11-12-2009 at 12:17 PM

So is it illegal to eat horsemeat in Mexico- or is the crime here not disclosing what people are being served?

David K - 11-12-2009 at 12:21 PM

Gee and I thought it was dog and cat meat all this time! I even heard barks and meows as the meat was being chopped!:lol::yes:

DENNIS - 11-12-2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
So is it illegal to eat horsemeat in Mexico-

Well...what do they do with a dead horse? I can't ever remember seeing a horse grave.

If, in your Baja travels, you come upon a taco stand with the name, Sr. Eduardo, just drive on by.

bajabass - 11-12-2009 at 12:47 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one Dennis!!

Bob H - 11-12-2009 at 12:48 PM

I don't believe any of this hog-wash... errrrr.. horse-wash.
Bob H

Hookers and Horses

Dave - 11-12-2009 at 01:19 PM

Health department?

The same organization that reportedly regulates the safety of the prostitution industry?

Neigh, I say.

The Gull - 11-12-2009 at 01:44 PM

Neigh, Neigh, Neigh

Yaqui's was given the Rosarito Beach Excellence in the Culinary Arts award for 2009. It was presented by Mr. Ed, Willlbuuurrr.

Woooosh - 11-12-2009 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Neigh, Neigh, Neigh

Yaqui's was given the Rosarito Beach Excellence in the Culinary Arts award for 2009. It was presented by Mr. Ed, Willlbuuurrr.

of course, of course...

Barry A. - 11-12-2009 at 03:27 PM

Picky, picky, picky health dept. My Mom could not afford beef during WW II (and it often was not available), so we ate horse meat from the pet store for special occasions----------excellent meat-------loved it!!.

Barry

arrowhead - 11-12-2009 at 03:27 PM

Well, I don't know about Tacos Yaqui, but horsemeat is legal for human consumption in Mexico, and is sold everywhere. So is burro and mule meat. I've had it, it's not bad, just kinda stronger tasting, like venison. Horsemeat is eaten in France. The main dish is steak tartare, which is finely chopped raw horsemeat.

Dave - 11-12-2009 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
horsemeat is legal for human consumption in Mexico, and is sold everywhere. So is burro and mule meat.

Burro tartare is very popular in TJ. Sold off the street in and around Revolution.

Raw egg is extra.

Bajahowodd - 11-12-2009 at 04:17 PM

The US has never embraced horsemeat. In fact, the last horse processing plant in the US closed last year. Even when they were operating, they were strictly for export. I won't attempt to question arrowhead's post about France. but, I do know that from an encyclical promulated over a century ago, Catholics were entreated to avoid horsemeat.

JESSE - 11-12-2009 at 04:23 PM

I don't care of its coyote meat, they are darn good and will continue to visit them everytime i am up there.:tumble:

Bajahowodd - 11-12-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quizas, pero tenga cuidado con su restarante.

Woooosh - 11-12-2009 at 05:00 PM

Whoa Big Boys... We haven't even got confirmation it's closed yet. Maybe you have to have a licensed jockey prepare horse and they will re-open. Can horsemeat really be that much cheaper than beef? That place didn't close until it ran out of food every day. Always busy and a must-stop for many Baja Nomads.

This board seems fine that Tacos El Jaqui would serve horesmeat for tacos so long as you have a picture of Mr. Ed prominently displayed on the menu.

I prefer to take the Col. Sherman T Potter view: "A horse is a noble animal." When I can't afford a Mexican taco made with beef I'll stop eating them.

[Edited on 11-13-2009 by Woooosh]

Paulina - 11-12-2009 at 07:50 PM

Our boy Handy thinks the entire idea of eating members of his brotherhood stinks.

I remember my mom buying horsemeat at the petstore for our St. Bernard when he was fighting some type of sickness. I've had to put a horse down, his meat was donated to a wild animal refuge.

I don't like the idea of horses butchered just for their meat. Sent to the glue factory because they didn't run fast enough. Cashed out for insurance money if they didn't end up in the winner's circle.

End of rant.

I don't think they are stupid animals, but then again I'm partial. Regarding comparing them to cows; I've never seen a cow be a member of the Olympic Team, or preform in an elegant Dressage presentation, or clear 8' jumps in a Stadium jumping competition. Cows roping cows? I'd like to see a cow do it better than Handy.

Modeling for dental advertisements? That might be a good calling for Handy when we have to retire our boy vs. serving his up in a torta.

Back on topic, Mr. Ed was/is one of my favorite shows. I'd rather go hungry than munch down on horse.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 13-11-2009 by Paulina]

Woooosh - 11-12-2009 at 08:27 PM

What a great horse! Maybe Crest Whitestrips in Apple flavor? ?

Wahoo - 11-13-2009 at 10:16 AM

Id have to use alot of tapatio!!!!:fire:

Iflyfish - 11-13-2009 at 11:04 AM

I'll take my whinney steak with chipotle please.

arrowhead - 11-13-2009 at 03:22 PM

I found out El Yaqui has a myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/tacoselyaqui

It says they are having some legal problems with their location and have moved back to the old location across the street in the interim.

Fake Yaqui's

The Gull - 11-13-2009 at 06:36 PM

He had problems with who rented him the property.

Yaqui's stop the payments of the property rent and the owner tooked it back. The land owner is using the same building selling Perrones.

The Real Yaquis moved to the next corner.

Woooosh - 11-13-2009 at 07:18 PM

So the new "owner" would have been the one serving horsemeat (if true at all), not the real Taco El Yaqui- which has now moved across the street? Can you ask him if he serves horse? Just in case... and tell him to go take down or cover his sign. The guy's killing his reputation. It does seem like a problem businesses and renters alike deal with a lot- unreasonable landlords.

[Edited on 11-14-2009 by Woooosh]

Santiago - 11-14-2009 at 08:13 AM

"The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man"
RR

The Gull - 11-14-2009 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
So the new "owner" would have been the one serving horsemeat (if true at all), not the real Taco El Yaqui- which has now moved across the street? Can you ask him if he serves horse? Just in case... and tell him to go take down or cover his sign. The guy's killing his reputation. It does seem like a problem businesses and renters alike deal with a lot- unreasonable landlords.

Nobody is stopping you from telling Yaqui, except you. If you are the one who knows about the horse incident and now you assert it is killing his reputation, being a fellow Playas de Rosarito resident, you should be the one who tells Yaqui.

bajaguy - 11-14-2009 at 10:40 AM

Would like to know what type of ...."An on-site test"........they used????

Bajahowodd - 11-14-2009 at 12:52 PM

On-site test? Neigh!

DENNIS - 11-14-2009 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Would like to know what type of ...."An on-site test"........they used????

Has to have something to do with glue.

Paulina - 11-14-2009 at 02:22 PM

Here's to the horses that took it on hoof, the lucky ones that got away!

bacquito - 11-14-2009 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
So is it illegal to eat horsemeat in Mexico- or is the crime here not disclosing what people are being served?

Neither, stealing horses is the crime:lol:

castaway$ - 11-16-2009 at 01:05 PM

Ever been to a rodeo Paulina? the bulls might not be smart but some are extremely athletic and talented at throwing off cowboys, but then again if I had that thing strapped around my boys I'd be pretty good at dancing around:O

The Gull - 11-16-2009 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
if I had that thing strapped around my boys I'd be pretty good at dancing around:O

Are you sure? Maybe you should try it.

jeans - 11-16-2009 at 03:01 PM

I dropped by on Saturday. I had to drive past the old driveway to their new place on the other corner and I paused to look. Their "parking attendant" was VERY animated in his attempts to get me to pull in.

The new place was not very busy, and it really looks like it was slapped together in a hurry, but the tacos were excellent. The meat is grilled up right next to where we stand in line and smelled wonderful but my Spanish skills are not good enough to start a conversation with..."RUMOR on the internet has it that you're grilling up horse meat." Si o no? :o

Paulina - 11-16-2009 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Ever been to a rodeo Paulina? the bulls might not be smart but some are extremely athletic and talented at throwing off cowboys, but then again if I had that thing strapped around my boys I'd be pretty good at dancing around:O

I've been to a few. Participated in one (not really).

If you call hitching a ride while roping a bull participating. I was having fun.

If those bulls were really smart they wouldn't let them tie anything around their boys in the first place.

Just kidding.

There are some beautiful bulls out there.

P<*)))>{

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
There are some beautiful bulls out there.

:lol::lol::lol: Given the theme of this conversation, I had to read that twice. :lol::lol::lol:

Paulina - 11-16-2009 at 06:34 PM

:saint:

Howard - 11-16-2009 at 06:53 PM

I find some of the reports on his thread appalling!

Quit horsing around, do the neigh borly thing and somecow find out if this is true. If it is true, pony up to the truth. Also, isn’t Bangor the capitol of mane?

I’m through, promise!

Wahoo - 11-16-2009 at 07:19 PM

Wow, I learned that Steak Tatare is/can be made from horse meat, from this thread and goggled it!!!!, yup, giddy el cabbalitto!!!!!! ORALE!!

NO THANKS!!!

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wahoo
Wow, I learned that Steak Tatare is/can be made from horse meat, from this thread and goggled it!!!!, yup, giddy el cabbalitto!!!!!! ORALE!!

NO THANKS!!!

Why not? Afraid you might get the runs? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Von - 11-16-2009 at 07:44 PM

This is hard to believe horse meat lol!:lol:

The meat is so good mmm~~

I would have to talk to the detective about this to believe it~& see the

report~

Paulina - 11-16-2009 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Wahoo

NO THANKS!!!

Why not? Afraid you might get the runs? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No Dennis, from eating horse you'd get the trots.

El Camote - 11-16-2009 at 10:17 PM

Paulina,
http://instantrimshot.com/ :lol: