BajaNomad

San Carlos question

El Jefe - 6-30-2004 at 09:54 PM

My son and his wife are planning to go to Puerto San Carlos in Mag Bay to meet some friends who are sailing around the world. They want to join them on the boat for about five days and surf the barrier island spots. I'm totally jealous. the question is, where is a safe place for Alex to park his truck while they are afloat?

Tom, if it were me

capt. mike - 7-1-2004 at 05:01 AM

i'd find a business there and offer to pay the owner to watch/store it on his property, a reasonable fee like airport parking say $5 to $10 a day - big money for some one for not much effort. and will create a bailor/bailee relationship defacto.

i would never just park it and hope for the best. hell, i pay in cities to have my rental guarded at dinner!

Car safe parking

Jack Swords - 7-1-2004 at 07:05 AM

Mike's comment is right on. We kayak at San Carlos and ask a local if we can park on his property next to his house for security. They appreciate the trust and take care of the truck. We, of course, pay him upon return. This has worked for us all over Baja and Mexmainland. Good way to interact and develop friendships too. Nice to have some toys for the kids too (there are always kids).

San Carlos

jrbaja - 7-1-2004 at 07:32 AM

Try the Hotel Brennan. I'll see if I can find the number. They may have a website.

surfer jim - 7-1-2004 at 07:40 AM

What have you heard about the surf spots out there?......

El Jefe - 7-1-2004 at 12:09 PM

As always, the Nomads come through with good information. Thanks Mike, Jack and JR.

And surfer jim, all I've head is that it is just horrible out there...check it out.
http://www.magbaytours.com/

Natalie Ann - 7-1-2004 at 12:39 PM

When Alex gets to San Carlos, he should ask for Martin Flores - everyone knows him, he's well respected in the community. Either they'll take you to him or he'll come to you. If he can't keep your truck safely in his corral (with guard dog), he'll find you someone who can. Doesn't speak a lot of English, but enough to work things out. Great guy, lots of fun, trustworthy.

If you do see Martin, please say hello to him and the charming Senora Flores from Natalia y Esteban.

surfer jim - 7-2-2004 at 07:53 AM

Good site and good links....need to find some swell info as I have a trip maybe for next weekend to SAN CARLOS....but this is the one just south of El Rosario.....

elgatoloco - 7-2-2004 at 07:57 AM

It's been mainly zonal flow in the South Pacific lately so not much new swell was aimed our way. Friday's modest scale SW(205-220) swell will be joined by a similar SW'er by the end of the weekend into Monday. Mid next week looks a little better.
An area of disturbed weather is brewing 700 miles SSW off the end of Baja. The westward drifting disturbance has potential for slow growth over the next few days. Disorganized thunderstorms off southern Mexico could also deepen then.

surfer jim - 7-2-2004 at 08:05 AM

Thanks...I am thinking about late Thursday until Sunday afternoon for the trip...IF there will be enough waves....

El Jefe - 7-2-2004 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for the tip Natalie Ann.
Jim, that other San Carlos looks interesting too. Let us know how your trip goes. Tom

Punta San Carlos

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:28 PM

The pueblo

The Windurfing Camp

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:30 PM

The Trailer Park

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:32 PM

Landing Strip and 1 Ba?o

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:34 PM

The Bay

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:38 PM

The Point

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:39 PM

The Camping

jrbaja - 7-2-2004 at 12:48 PM

I generally don't pay to camp at the beach in Baja. The guys from the windsurfing camp had done such a good job of keeping the place clean, installed really nice outhouses, and cooperate with the fishermen, that I didn't mind paying $6.00 per night.
Good spot.

surfer jim - 7-3-2004 at 08:35 AM

Looking at those photos reminded me about the time we got rained out there ...HEAVY rain for 14 hours...spunoff from a storm around Cabo....destroyed road ....

Markitos - 7-5-2004 at 05:49 PM

Isnt that fun !!! ya turn around and the arroyo is a wash and youre not going anywhere. Breack out the dominos it's gona be a long night

surfer jim - 7-5-2004 at 10:08 PM

About 15 miles of the road was under water or with mud and each crossing of a channel was an adventure....we waited a day and decided to give it a try....still not sure how we made it out....seeing those photos with standing water brought it all back...

San Carlos and the Long Night

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 12:19 PM

When I took those photos, I was with my dogs who always travel with me and one of Andis puppies, "Willy".
I generally stop every once in a while to let the dogs be dogs and stuff. This trip was no exception other than the fact that immediately after resuming driving after these stops a horrid smell would engulf the inside of the van.
After inspecting to see if I had stepped in something bad or the dogs forgot to wipe or whatever, I realized it was probably one of Willies cute tricks. My dogs are much better trained.
So, we are driving out to San Carlos for the first time and the road is really washboard so I am following the side path which is much smoother. I had to cross back onto the road in a few spots but generally could go about 35-40.
I am on the main road to San Carlos and see another place to cross onto the smooth road and do so, in spite of the wire I see about 6" off the ground across the entrance.
So, back up to speed when I see a truck stopped up ahead. It's the guys putting up the wire I just ran over. They are putting it up to keep people like me on the main road. As well as the racers who sometimes use the road.
We have some beers, I found out I passed the place I was looking for a few Km's back but yep, this is the right way to San Carlos and it's about an hour. Cool.
Except for the Willy issue which is still highly in effect.
We arrive at San Carlos and I talk to the Mexican fishermen who show me where the windsurfing camp is and I go meet a couple of the guys there. Nice guys, nice place, time for camp.
Generally when it is raining, I let the dogs sleep in the van. Under the present circumstances, and not being absolutely sure that Willy was the culprit, I set up the tent for the odiferous beasts, whichever one it was.
Alls well, dinner for all, a little exploration, very little rain, dogs are set, ice cream and to bed.
Until about one in the morning when I hear dogs barking and realize it's pouring. So much so that I can't see the tent out the windows. Uh oh, I am assuming it has blown over the cliff so I get up and open the door.
It is pouring and I can barely see the tent about 6' away. But, I can make out Willy, sitting in the doorway of the dry tent, barking and growling at Andi and Big and not letting them in. What a JERK!
Andi is Willies Mother. Big is twice as big as Willy. They were wet, I was dry, back to bed for me. Work it out you mangy mongrels. Kick his arse!
Wake up in the morning and dogs are all in the tent so I guessed they fixed his greedy butt. Decided to head further south so went back out the road to the east. Many deep crossings, fouled plugs, time outs to dry things, the worst grades I have ever encountered because of the rain, slick clay and angles. Nothing quite like having to stay on the gas going downhill on a winding slippery road. Weeee Haaaaa!!!!!
That was my San Carlos Dog Trip. Willy hasn't traveled with us since. Just in case.

San Carlos Road

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 12:48 PM

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 12:51 PM

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 12:52 PM

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 12:58 PM