BajaNomad

LA to La Bufadora and back. 11/7/09

Daj - 11-16-2009 at 09:17 AM

The drive from LA to San Diego was uneventful- I was redbulling a massive hangover and trying not to think about last minute things I probably failed to pack.
I stopped for gas on the last exit before San Ysidro and got gas before crossing the border- which was shockingly easy..I didn't even have to stop- they just waved us through. I was so caught off guard by this that I missed the exit to the toll road and ended up on the 2- somewhere in what I think was SW TJ. I backtracked and made it to the 1 toll road and headed south. I love the way people drive in Mexico. It makes me laugh really hard most of the time, it's so laizze but it's also extremely efficient and polite for the most part. I love it.
The drive is beautiful and the only time I regretted going alone was when I wanted to pay attention to the scenery and not the road. I drove straight to Ensenada and got lost in the downtown tourist area. 2 boats were docked and the place was stuffed with the fanny-packed masses.
I stopped at the walmart on Reforma Hwy and bought beer and wine. I found Estero beach resort and decided to get a room. While it was very pretty there- not quite what I was looking for, but nonetheless a nice hotel.
On Sunday I got lost (surprise surprise) looking for the road to La Bufadora. I passed this "Sharkeys' place you guys speak of. I wanted to stop but they were closed.
I had breakfast at La Bufadora- I forget the name of the restaurant, but they had amazing fish tacos..
I got back on the highway heading for San Diego. I stopped at La Fonda for lunch. Lovely view..I saw this famous brunch spread- it def. looks like something I will partake in next time.
I wish I had more time to spend there- I didn't want to come home. I am def. going back over Thanksgiving..I'm really excited and thank you all for your wonderful advice!!!

Fred - 11-16-2009 at 10:17 AM

That is a nice trip and lots of people who live in the area can tell you different places to see. Maybe next time cross at Tecate and drive down. You will see some different country side. But as far as Sharkey's being closed, you will have to hear from Captain Dennis on that. Hope you try this adventure again. Baja is great.

Fred

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 11:48 AM

Sharkey's opens around 2PM.
Fred is right about the Tecate drive. I much prefer it although I think it's still undergoing extensive road work so, save that trip for later.

David K - 11-16-2009 at 12:04 PM

Sounds like you have the right attitude to travel in Baja! Congratulations!!

bajabass - 11-16-2009 at 01:28 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip. The area from TJ playas to La Bufadora is magical in its beauty. I have almost had several accidents from getting lost in the views! After hundreds of trips to La Mision and Ensenada, I still smile the whole way down and back.

Bajahowodd - 11-16-2009 at 01:37 PM

I found Estero beach resort and decided to get a room. While it was very pretty there- not quite what I was looking for, but nonetheless a nice hotel.

Sounds like a fun, short trip. But I am just a little curious as to what you meant about Estero Beach. Too quiet, maybe? There's a number of affordable hotels in town proper that allow you to walk around town and partake of the scenery.

Daj - 11-16-2009 at 01:44 PM

I think I was looking for something ...a little less....gated? if that makes sense..
But it kinda worked out because I really did just want to hang out with myself for two days and de-people.

Im going back this month..and I will probably go back in dec. too...
It was so much fun- so gorgeous...

Bajahowodd - 11-16-2009 at 01:51 PM

Gotcha. It wasn't too long ago that especially on weekends, Estero Beach Hotel would fill up, and reservations were a must. It's very family-oriented. And you probably noticed not only the RV campground, but the permanent residences, too. The gated thing appeals to many of those folks.

bajaguy - 11-16-2009 at 05:00 PM

Daj

There may be a place out on Punta Banda....Campo LaJoya.....right on the beach, and "less gated".....some Nomads who live in that area might chime in!!!!!

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

There may be a place out on Punta Banda....Campo LaJoya.....right on the beach, and "less gated".....some Nomads who live in that area might chime in!!!!!

Sounds like he needs a room, Terry. There are three or four rooms at La Joya but, I hear they're spartan, to say the least.
It's a long story which I won't attempt at this time but, the police went to the Motel across from Sharkey's last week and gutted the place. Every stick of furniture, appliances, even the bimbo who thought she owned it were put out in the street. It was a beautiful sight. I heard three months ago that this was imminent and it finally happened.

mulegejim - 11-16-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Sharkey's opens around 2PM.
Fred is right about the Tecate drive. I much prefer it although I think it's still undergoing extensive road work so, save that trip for later.

I was through there a couple of weeks ago going north and there was a lot of roadwork going on, however, it moved along well - not much of a problem. It is a great drive on Mex-3 through the valley.

[Edited on 11-17-2009 by mulegejim]

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
I was through there a couple of weeks ago going north and there was a lot of roadwork going on, however, it moved along well - not much of a problem. It is a great drive on Mex-3 through the valley.

Thanks, Jim.....I'm due for a trip and I'll see what's up. The last time I went through a construction zone on the road, I had to drive through fresh oil and it was a mess. I don't particularly want to take my new car through that.

Yeah....I love that drive, mostly in the Spring.

Want to avoid the contruction in Guadalupe?

tripledigitken - 11-16-2009 at 05:39 PM

Just turn left at the Bibayoff Winery sign and go up to the paved road turn right and enjoy 2-3 wineries while bypassing the construction and you end up at Guadalupe and your back on RT3 and on your way to Tecate.

We just did it 2 weeks ago.

Ken

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Just turn left at the Bibayoff Winery sign and go up to the paved road turn right and enjoy 2-3 wineries while bypassing the construction and you end up at Guadalupe and your back on RT3 and on your way to Tecate.

Ken....Have you ever been to the Russian Museum, downtown Guadalupe? It's interesting given the history of the valley.

tripledigitken - 11-17-2009 at 02:58 AM

Dennis,

No I haven't but it is the list. Funny you should mention that though. Bibayoff Winery is owned by a family with roots from Russia. They have a small family museum worthy of a visit. We really enjoyed our visit to this small winery. The owner is a really nice guy. Would be a great place for a picnic.

Ken

bajamigo - 11-17-2009 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Dennis,

No I haven't but it is the list. Funny you should mention that though. Bibayoff Winery is owned by a family with roots from Russia. They have a small family museum worthy of a visit. We really enjoyed our visit to this small winery. The owner is a really nice guy. Would be a great place for a picnic.

Ken

This group of Russians, the Molokans, have an interesting history. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"During the early 1900s under his fellowship, about 2,000 Molokans (mostly of the Jumpers and Leapers Sect) left for the United States and settled in the Los Angeles area near the area of Boyle Heights. It is there that they influenced in practice and doctrine a later American Revival called "the Pentecostal Azusa Street Revival" at the turn of the last century. The founder of The Full Gospel Business Men's Association associates this Pentecostal Revival to the child prophet of the Molokan Jumpers. When they arrived in Los Angeles, California, they were befriended by local settlement house director Dana W. Bartlett[1]) and some other parts of the West Coast and Canada. The Klubnikins continued to be involved in cattle and groceries, as they probably had done in the area of Tambov prior to exile. Others received a land grant from the Mexican government and settled in the Guadalupe Valley in Baja California, Mexico. "

bajaguy - 11-17-2009 at 07:57 AM

Quote:

Sounds like he needs a room, Terry. There are three or four rooms at La Joya but, I hear they're spartan, to say the least.
It's a long story which I won't attempt at this time but, the police went to the Motel across from Sharkey's last week and gutted the place. Every stick of furniture, appliances, even the bimbo who thought she owned it were put out in the street. It was a beautiful sight. I heard three months ago that this was imminent and it finally happened.

SHE needs a room.....maybe Irka has something for a few days?????

mulegejim - 11-17-2009 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim

Thanks, Jim.....I'm due for a trip and I'll see what's up. The last time I went through a construction zone on the road, I had to drive through fresh oil and it was a mess. I don't particularly want to take my new car through that.

Yeah....I love that drive, mostly in the Spring.

No oil when I went through, although, that was several weeks ago. Looks like they are just grading and paving - will be real nice when it's finished.

Martyman - 11-17-2009 at 12:14 PM

How can I join the Jumpers & Leapers sect?