BajaNomad

CONCEPTION BAY RIDE - CHAPTER TWO

Pompano - 11-17-2009 at 06:43 AM

TODAY WE ARE...BAY WATCH

Yesterday was one of those perfectly flat days on the water in Bahia Coyote. I looked out and saw how relaxed these guys looked out there...

...and said "Hey, let's take a boat trip around Conception Bay and visit some old jaunts."

Great! Okay, first..launch the boat.

We took out a boat I recently agreed to buy from a distressed Mulege riverfront-homeowner and will soon be advertising to recover my expenses. Will be a super deal for someone.

We started out from Coyote Bay on a day that was so flat you could not tell where the horizon stopped and the sky began.

Motoring slowly out the bay past Rogelio Rookery, our first Bay sighting is an old friend, Clemente Diaz, who is angling for some pescado at his favorite spot. He was having fun on his day off from being one of NOLS long-time employees. Nice panga, Clemente.

We head over to Barga Island, where about 36 years ago, a chum and I decided to try island camping..mano y mano. First on that little beach, and then in the cave above...see pic. Our wives stayed back on the main camping beach, being the smarter gender. In our imaginations we were Kochimi nomads...rugged and ready for anything.

Wrong...It was a disaster. Birds = guano = insects by the millions!
We got quite the ribbing from the gals after we beat a hasty retreat the next day...paddling humbly back to the Coyote Bay base camp. Then it was...itch, itch, itch.

Barga has two little satellite islands full of marine birds and there is always lots of action there. It's also a prime spot to snorkle among the myriads of fish swimming through the reef. Got my first really bad sunburn here when I just couldn't stop snorkling around these two islands. My shoulders cracked and bled...pretty dumb northern stunt.
Saturday, these frigates gave us a good looking over before flapping up to soar around and around over our heads.

Motoring around the bigger island, we meet a Zodiac carrying 3 fishermen. Hi guys, catching anything? (from the 60's to the 80's we caught everything that swims in Conception Bay..sadly the years since the Golden Age of Baja are a different matter.)

Can you readily spot the heron in this photo?....he blends in fairly well with Isla Barga.

BARGA ISLAND - NUDE BEACH
Going around Barga Island to the north side you will come upon Nude Beach...and Dead Dog Cove..both named for pretty obvious reasons.

Dog Grave...site of many a nude 'wake'...leave a kind memento of your visit as so many have over the years. The rule of thumb at Nude Beach: If it's occupied you shear off and wait your turn!

The crystal clear waters show the shellfish life on the cove's bottom.

Just a short hop over to this 'almost white' island...Isla Blanco.. thousands of birds..and white guano..phew.

I cut the engine and we silently glided underneath these frigates, gulls, and pelicans roosting on this tiny bird island. The frigate..man-of-war..is a great soarer and also a telltale for dorado fishermen during that season. If you should happen to spot one circling..head over there fast, as the frigate most likely has a gamefish below him, as he waits for a piece of the action.

PLAYA REQUESON (COTTAGE CHEESE BEACH)

PLAYA REQUESON FROM THE NORTH...AND SCORPION ROCKS ON HILLSIDE

PLAYA REQUESON FROM THE SOUTH...AT LOW TIDE, SAND BRIDGE SEEMS WASHED AWAY..NO CAMPERS.

PLAYA BUENAVENTURA -- RESTAURANT AND HOTEL -- NO NAVAL GUNSHIPS IN SIGHT!

MARK & OLIVIA'S RESTAURANT

Edit: We had a great dinner at the restaurant last night, Wednesday, Nov. 18. Mark and Olivia were super hosts. The fish and shrimp plates were huge and delicious, accompianied with nice conversation while we ate at the bar. Very cozy. Very nice..go check it out for yourself.

MUNOZ HOTEL AND HOUSING

SANTA BARBARA COVE..AND NEW DEVELOPMENT

MACE HAS BEEN BUSY

TOURIST SCALLOP DIVER OFF OF SANTA BARBARA COVE

DOWN THE SHORELINE FROM SANTA BARBARA WE COME AROUND THE CORNER INTO COYOTE BAY CAMPING BEACH.

THIS OLD HOTTUB WAS CEMENTED UP WITH ROCKS ABOUT 1960. WE USED TO SOAK THERE A LOT...WAS 'VERY HOT' AT ONE TIME, BUT NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE.

MANGROVES ARE COMMON THROUGHOUT CONCEPTION BAY...GREAT HABITAT FOR LOTS OF MARINE LIFE...INCLUDING THOSE SUCCULENT MANGROVE OYSTER CLUSTERS.

THE DAY WE MOTORED BY, LAST SATURDAY, THERE WERE VERY FEW CAMPERS ..SO LOTS OF ROOM FOR MORE.

THIS FELLOW IS GETTING INTO THE BAJA SPIRIT..AND BUILDING HIMSELF A NICE PALAPA. THIS PHOTO SHOWS THE PALMS BEING SOAKED FIRST BEFORE PLACEMENT ON THE TECHO..ROOF. HAVE FUN, GUY!

COMING BACK INTO COYOTE COVE..AND THE CASA...

...TIME TO CALL IT A DAY. HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS TRIP AROUND THE BAY WITH US.

ADIOS, AMIGOS.

[Edited on 9-23-2010 by Pompano]

noproblemo2 - 11-17-2009 at 06:50 AM

Really good pics, Thanks...

capitolkat - 11-17-2009 at 06:55 AM

What a great tour- thanks for letting us join in--

MICK - 11-17-2009 at 07:08 AM

Sure make us miss it more than we do. great pic's wish I was there.
Mick

bajabass - 11-17-2009 at 07:18 AM

Nice little photo essay. Almost like being there.

Russ - 11-17-2009 at 07:18 AM

That was fun! THANKX!

BajaGringo - 11-17-2009 at 07:23 AM

Thanks Roger for sharing a diferent look into your part of the peninsula. Always love your photo stories and comments...

shari - 11-17-2009 at 07:47 AM

great tour roger but a little light on the cerveza eh....sheesh....I was getting pretty thirsty by the time we got to manonegros digs.
Love the thong necklace though captain.

capt. mike - 11-17-2009 at 07:55 AM

Roger - consider that Trophy boat sold.....do you mind storing it for me for about 10 years??!!:?:;)

David K - 11-17-2009 at 09:22 AM

Super dooper Roger!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

vandenberg - 11-17-2009 at 09:42 AM

Thanks Roger,
saves me a 50 to 70 mile trip.:biggrin:

Concepcion tour

tehag - 11-17-2009 at 09:50 AM

Thanks for a really great post.

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by tehag]

bajamedic - 11-17-2009 at 11:16 AM

Pompano, what a FANTASTIC tour of your part of Baja. I have gone over the entire post three times and will “tour” it again. Is anyone else willing to post a tour of the area around the area around them??? JH

Lindalou - 11-17-2009 at 12:07 PM

This was just great Roger, thanks so much......Linda

Sharksbaja - 11-17-2009 at 01:11 PM

Good one Roger. Are the big plans for Sta. Barbara still in place or have they scaled it back? That whole point and cove are supposedly going to be some huge aristocrat retreat replete with Zen rooms, a golf course and big stylish condos/homes.

I like that tent there, looks Arabic. Seriously, that mangrove cove and beach area has such high ground water that it looks like it's regularly submerged.

Hope it doesn't grow.

[Edited on 11-17-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DENNIS - 11-17-2009 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
replete with Zen rooms,

Amazing they would go to those extremes here. Most of Baja is one big Zen Room. I guess the rich don't like to get dusty.

Bob H - 11-17-2009 at 01:40 PM

That was GREAT! I felt like I was on the boat with you.
Thanks,
Bob H

Just for balance

Sharksbaja - 11-17-2009 at 02:44 PM

Here is yesterdays' weather on the OR coast.

Storm_bridge_11.09.JPG - 21kB

Crusoe - 11-17-2009 at 02:45 PM

Again....Nice One. Thanks Pomp!! ++C++:smug:

KurtG - 11-17-2009 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Good one Roger. Are the big plans for Sta. Barbara still in place or have they scaled it back? That whole point and cove are supposedly going to be some huge aristocrat retreat replete with Zen rooms, a golf course and big stylish condos/homes.

The developer, Lomas Santa Fe Group, in San Diego County has removed the Estero Santa Barbara website and de-activated the link to it from their own site, www.lsfg.com. The finished development was to be run by Aman Resorts who operates some of the world's most exclusive and expensive hotels. Their website also makes no reference to the Santa Barbara development. I suspect that the current financial situation has changed such high end plans. There were some good rumors in Mulege such as the old Año Nuevo airstrip being reopened as a private strip for the resort with a helicopter shuttle between them.

Heather - 11-17-2009 at 03:06 PM

thanks! I've only seen the bay from the drive by, so nice to see it from the other side! Saludos, H.

Sharksbaja - 11-17-2009 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

The developer, Lomas Santa Fe Group, in San Diego County has removed the Estero Santa Barbara website and de-activated the link to it from their own site, www.lsfg.com. The finished development was to be run by Aman Resorts who operates some of the world's most exclusive and expensive hotels. Their website also makes no reference to the Santa Barbara development. I suspect that the current financial situation has changed such high end plans. There were some good rumors in Mulege such as the old Año Nuevo airstrip being reopened as a private strip for the resort with a helicopter shuttle between them.

There IS a God!

knuckles - 11-17-2009 at 03:20 PM

This is an awesome post. Thanks for sharing with us. Not sure about the rest of you, but I am relieved to hear the developments have stalled.

mulegejim - 11-17-2009 at 04:31 PM

Roger, what a great post - have spent some time in the Bay but your post is just excellent - makes me wish I was there right now. Thanks, Jaime

Ken Bondy - 11-17-2009 at 05:25 PM

GREAT ride Roger!!! Thanks for taking me along.
++Ken++

Skipjack Joe - 11-17-2009 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for providing us with pictures of where the turtle bust occurred. This helps.

JESSE - 11-17-2009 at 05:38 PM

What!!!!! you didn't take any pics of the aircraft carrier on front of the restaurant??? how could you??

Udo - 11-17-2009 at 09:03 PM

Really excellent foto essay, Roger. Just like being there!

MUCHAS GRACIAS

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by udowinkler]

David K - 11-17-2009 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What!!!!! you didn't take any pics of the aircraft carrier on front of the restaurant??? how could you??

Here is the view from in front of the restaurant at Buenaventura... wait, what is that in the water? Is it the navy gunboat? An aircraft carrier? A frog?

No just Oliguacomole's UNDERDOG!

Me and Mark (Oliguacomole)... (from my trip report of last July)

Still no gunboats...

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by David K]

BajaGringo - 11-17-2009 at 09:36 PM

I could have swore I saw a submarine out there in the bay patrolling in one of those photos...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by BajaGringo]

ligui - 11-18-2009 at 05:39 AM

Thanks for the great trip around the bay ! I havn't been to baja for over a year :(

Will be thinking about your photo's today while I shovel the snow out of the driveway. :bounce:

Thanks again......ligui

Bajagypsy - 11-18-2009 at 05:43 AM

So what part of Mulege are we going to tour today? I can't wait!

Pompano - 11-18-2009 at 05:47 AM

Just for you, Gypsy...(because you're an Up North gal)..I'll post a tour through Mulege taken just the other day. Life is returning to our little village.

jkruk - 11-18-2009 at 07:10 AM

great, how did the boat run? home sick and better educated about Conception, thank you

Pompano - 11-18-2009 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jkruk
great, how did the boat run? home sick and better educated about Conception, thank you

jkruk, glad you could see the Bay again...and the Trophy runs great. For more on it, see this other thread of mine.

GOOD CENTER CONSOLE BOAT FOR SALE

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42495

Bajagypsy - 11-18-2009 at 03:23 PM

Thank you Pompano!

oladulce - 11-19-2009 at 12:58 AM

Photo #1 takes my breath away!

capt. mike - 11-20-2009 at 08:03 AM

Mace does nice work.
hey Pomp - do you have a pic of Dunn's hillside shack at the posada hill?

BigWooo - 11-20-2009 at 08:08 AM

WoW, incredible photos. We're up here NOB preparing for the move south, seems like there's so much to do, and no end in site, your photos are definitely motivation to get it done!

mulegejim - 11-20-2009 at 09:15 AM

Roger, I believe it was "Bad Day at Black" that John Sturgis directed, although, thanks for mentioning Eagle Rock for that is where I grew up and lived for many years.

tripledigitken - 11-20-2009 at 09:26 AM

Pompano,

Isn't there another celeb with a home out on the point at Santispac? Heard that rumor awhile back.

Ken

BajaGringo - 11-20-2009 at 09:35 AM

You somehow managed to top your first chapter - wonderful work my friend. You truly live a charmed life...

capt. mike - 11-20-2009 at 09:42 AM

Bad day at Black Rock?

Steve in Oro Valley - 11-20-2009 at 09:46 AM

Great POST!

Bad Day at Black Rock (not Eagle Rock) with Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan and Ernest Borgnine...

Sturgis also directed MYSTERY STREET with Ricardo Montalban and Bruce Bennett in 1951 (film noir CIS type movie circa 1950)...

Steve in Oro Valley

Steve in Oro Valley - 11-20-2009 at 09:59 AM

The IMDB database spells his name as John STURGES

Steve in Oro Valley

David K - 11-20-2009 at 10:01 AM

Roger, how about J.W.'s place or the things he built around there since the 1960's when Uncle Erle brought everyone down there the first time?

HWY. 1 at Concepcion Bay, before 1970:

One of J.W.'s off road machines (a 'Butterfly') with Erle Stanley Gardner onboard, at Concepcion Bay:

'The Man', J.W. Black:

Pompano - 11-20-2009 at 11:19 AM

NO NO NO! ...You are ALL very confusitated. This was the other John Sturgis (correct spelling) and HIS movie was Bad Day at EAGLE Rock and Debby Does Hong Kong.

I BE :cool:

Bob and Susan - 11-20-2009 at 01:21 PM

we are retired = NO WORK!!!

susan was just getting the "botchi ball" court ready for the afternoon game...

we lost to the "boys"

i knew i'd be in trouble when we saw roger pull up...

he didn't even bring a fish!!!

sus12.jpg - 47kB

David K - 11-20-2009 at 01:37 PM

Tough life at Playa Frambes... wish I was there, again!

Bob and Susan - 11-20-2009 at 02:40 PM

it is nice to live on the bay...

our neighbor mike brought over lunch...

mike1.jpg - 41kB

toneart - 11-20-2009 at 03:21 PM

Wasn't that Debbie Does King Kong? I think you got your Hong on wrong. :P Linda Loveface had a lot of talent. :tumble:;)

Hey Rog! Great Photo Essay. It started to snow here in the west face of The Sierras. Good incentive to get back down there. I'll come by in my boat. Trade you straight across for the Trophy. The Bahia sure looks beautiful. :yes: Say hello to Bob & Susan, Mace, Macyman and Russell.

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2009 at 03:38 PM

That sierra is a beaut!

Bob and Susan - 11-20-2009 at 03:41 PM

that's pretty big isn't it

it sure tasted good right out of the water

it was still moving when....you know:o

BajaRoadrunner - 11-20-2009 at 04:22 PM

Wish I was there paddling my kayak.

Really nice pictures. Thank you.

Udo - 11-20-2009 at 06:43 PM

David K's as well as Pomp's fotos are worth the Nomad membership.

Muchas gracias, compadres!

David K - 11-20-2009 at 07:00 PM

Fun to mix the old with the new!

capt. mike - 11-21-2009 at 12:16 PM

what kind of fish was that?? not a sierra with those spots was it?
it looks like sea trout. or a salmon.

Bajagypsy - 11-21-2009 at 01:22 PM

Thank you for the wonderful tour!

My pleasure...it was a fun boat ride.

Pompano - 11-22-2009 at 12:55 PM

Right after I got back, Clemente called to me from the seawall ramp.

I went down and there he was with a smallish, but nice hen dorado he had just caught off Pta. Rosa..which is south of Pt. Conception. Got it with some carnada..bait...slow trolled behind his panga while provisioning some kayakers from the school here.

Comida! Good job, Clemente. The latest dorado in the season for me was December 10th about 10 years ago. Caught mine in the Bay entrance with a feather while looking for a sierra to hit.