BajaNomad

Ray's Restaurant

Beachgirl - 11-18-2009 at 02:56 PM

Mulegemichael and I went for a little drive out Ice House Road into the valley to check on Ray's Restaurant. Ray met us outside and said he is now open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 4 PM until everyone is tired of having too much fun and good food.

Hope to see lots of our Mulege and neighboring friends getting out there for great food, and supporting another local business which is back on it's feet after Jimena.

PB170084-1.JPG - 48kB

ArvadaGeorge - 11-18-2009 at 07:22 PM

Do you have directions ?

mulegemichael - 11-18-2009 at 09:23 PM

head out the icehouse road just north of town center and follow the signs...pay attention...you'll think you're in the middle of nowhere, but you're not...follow the signs to "rays"...it'll be one fine experience for you

dtutko1 - 11-19-2009 at 07:29 AM

We have been eating at Rays since he was in a palapa with shell floors in Santispac. Never had a bad meal there, try the calamari. Ray is the perfect host. His current place is a little dificult to get to, but well worth it. we consider it one of the best on the Baja

Joelt - 11-19-2009 at 07:40 AM

We had a great time out there on his opening weekend. Ray knows how to show you a good time. He served us a cheese plate then oysters Rockefeller then a combo plate with 2 kinda of shrimp, his coconut shrimp and a large prawn with lobster stuffing and wrapped in bacon, scallops and lobster. Then we had some great flan. As usual, everything was excellent and Ray and his staff were outstanding hosts. The road out there was in good shape also and it is a beautiful place.

mulegejim - 11-19-2009 at 08:19 AM

Completely agree - great host, great food and a great view. I would suggest getting there before sunset so you can enjoy watching as the sun sinks behind the mountains.

k-rico - 11-19-2009 at 08:27 AM

How full is the RV park?

mulegemichael - 11-19-2009 at 08:37 AM

there was one rig in the park when we were there yesterday...and the place is all cleaned up and looking great...a really nice place to park an rv

capt. mike - 11-19-2009 at 09:48 AM

this is all outstanding news!!
what about the model homes and lots? how did they fair?
what was the vertical max rise on the waterline thru his property?

tripledigitken - 11-19-2009 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
this is all outstanding news!!
what about the model homes and lots? how did they fair?
what was the vertical max rise on the waterline thru his property?

Looks like he expected some water, look at the design of the restaurant! Looks like the outer banks on the east coast.

Ken

mulegemichael - 11-19-2009 at 02:59 PM

everything got thumped pretty badly, mike, as you can imagine...but...the houses are still there, albiet trashed before being cleaned up...he lost the entire roof on the restaurant but all is repaired..the grounds looked like they liked the water...life is almost back to normal

Heather - 11-19-2009 at 03:39 PM

Is that grass growing? Wow!

Bob H - 11-21-2009 at 09:51 AM

A good friend of mine just went there last night with some other people. And, here is his take.... on Rays place... Bob H

"Driving out in the fields, one would hardly expect to see a great restaurant, but we did. And the characters who go there are something else. (not including us). As the sun set over the Mulege mountains, we selected a 4 course dinner that was the best! I have never had calamari so tender and tasty."

mulegemichael - 11-21-2009 at 11:54 AM

we went there last night also with several amigos...and bob's buddy is right; the calamari is to die for..as well as the oyster rockefeller, as well as the coconut shrimp, as well as the papa gallos, ....well, you get the picture...don't miss this place if you are anywhere near mulege

Ray's Restaurant - Mulege - Muy Bueno

C205Driver - 10-26-2010 at 11:15 AM

. . .Just got back from a too short trip to Mulege & PSFO; 4 of us enjoyed the BEST chille rellano at Doney's & a Fantastic dinner (brought a few our own bottled Albeno Munari 2006 Syrah wine with us!) with Great Sunset Views @ Ray's in the Mulege Valley - Go there - will not be disappointed! . . .Talked to several merchants & walked around town & down river; vey poor economy with the drug wars & recession! At PSFO they are remodeling the bathrooms (PSFO method), however sometimes you do not have water & if you do it might even be warm! Airstrip in great condition & Juan & son, Rosa & Mingo there with assorted naval / rancher / ejido types passing thru. Was cool & breezy for us . . .

Bajahowodd - 10-26-2010 at 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update. I noticed a couple of signs posted on the main highway noting that Ray's was open Thursday, Friday and Saturday "for now". Wasn't sure whether they were current, or just old. Figuring that ride out to nowhere is a bummer if the places isn't open, we didn't go. Geez.

BajaBlanca - 10-26-2010 at 03:18 PM

my my my, that sounds like a place we HAVE to go to ... are they open for lunch ??? How do we know where the ICE ROAD is ?

Bajahowodd - 10-26-2010 at 04:14 PM

Not for lonche. Signs will show you the way. Trust me. You absolutely cannot get lost.

BajaBlanca - 10-26-2010 at 04:30 PM

dinner it is then !! gracias .... how far off the main road is it ?

mulegemichael - 10-26-2010 at 05:08 PM

it's probably 5 miles mas y mano...there are signs, but they are small....it's well worth the exploration...try the calamari; you won't regret it

Bajahowodd - 10-26-2010 at 05:42 PM

And, it's dark. Tenga Cuidado. It's worth the trip.

mulegemichael - 10-26-2010 at 05:47 PM

yeah, that's right...but it's really not that bad considering you can't drive any faster than about 20 mph at the outside on this road...so...there will be no high speed crashes...it's really a safe drive even after dark as you're just CRAWLING along..fun all around..and a fab host and staff...to say nothing of the unreal comida

toneart - 10-26-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
dinner it is then !! gracias .... how far off the main road is it ?

Blanca,

I will take you and Les there when I arrive later this winter. :yes:

bkbend - 10-26-2010 at 08:57 PM

Quote:

it's probably 5 miles mas y mano...there are signs, but they are small....it's well worth the exploration...try the calamari; you won't regret itText

Probably less, just seems like more... also pay attention to how you got there, the signs will be at your back on the way out.

David K - 10-26-2010 at 09:24 PM

Give me the GPS and I will make a Google Earth set of images for it.

We had such a great meal and atmosphere at El Patron (on the beach, end of north river road) the past two trips through Mulege, we didn't try to go anywhere else.

BajaBlanca - 10-27-2010 at 01:57 PM

Tony !! You're on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try to plan it so we spend the night with you in Mulege, sound OK? We hate driving in the dark.

mulegejim - 10-27-2010 at 04:09 PM

Can't beat Ray's - great food and location - arrive in time to enjoy the sunset. Other spots in town are also great - don't want short any of them as they all are very good. Jim

David K - 10-27-2010 at 06:24 PM

Read some older posts on Ray's... so he closes down for the summer?

mulegemichael - 10-27-2010 at 07:21 PM

yeah, david...shuts it down as there are no gringos here...opens around now through march...we love his place

David K - 10-27-2010 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
yeah, david...shuts it down as there are no gringos here...opens around now through march...we love his place

Okay, well I guess that means we keep hoping El Patron stays open when us 'non-gringos' vacation in summer!:light:

July is so awesome on Bahia Concepcion... who likes it cold?

Thanks Michael for the answer... I hope we can get to Sur someday when Ray is there!

toneart - 10-27-2010 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Tony !! You're on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try to plan it so we spend the night with you in Mulege, sound OK? We hate driving in the dark.

You're always welcome!:yes:

MelissaF - 11-3-2010 at 04:42 AM

Do you have directions for this restaurant?
If yes can you share it with me here ?

dtutko1 - 11-3-2010 at 05:03 AM

Anyone have Rays e-mail?

willyAirstream - 11-3-2010 at 09:42 AM

I added directions and pics on my blog.

Follow the Signs off Mex 1

Bajahowodd - 11-3-2010 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MelissaF
Do you have directions for this restaurant?
If yes can you share it with me here ?

tripledigitken - 11-3-2010 at 03:43 PM

Tip

If you have a GPS make sure it is on when you drive in the first time. I found it handy leaving to go back to town in the dark, just follow the cyber tracks.

Ken

[Edited on 11-3-2010 by tripledigitken]

Pompano - 11-3-2010 at 03:54 PM

Or just follow the signs that say ....'RAY'S'...it is quite easy to spot them, even the backsides show up very well. After a couple trips, it is easy going.

From the ice house road you turn...Left, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right..

..and you are there!!...

...although a little dizzy. ;)

Bajahowodd - 11-3-2010 at 04:15 PM

You sure you got your turns correct? :P

Maybe I'm just too old school, but if you need GPS to find this wonderful restaurant, then you certainly shouldn't drink any alcohol while there. ;D

Pompano - 11-3-2010 at 04:29 PM

ALCOHOL? ..at Ray's?!! Since when?

KAT54 - 11-3-2010 at 06:14 PM

Rays does not sell drinks anymore?
No wine with dinner?

mulegemichael - 11-3-2010 at 08:19 PM

at rays????....drinks, drinks, and more drinks....this is NOT a non alcohol establishment....free brandy alexandras for every customer...he's fun!!!

tripledigitken - 11-3-2010 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
You sure you got your turns correct? :P

Maybe I'm just too old school, but if you need GPS to find this wonderful restaurant, then you certainly shouldn't drink any alcohol while there. ;D

You didn't read my post correctly. I said it came in handy to get home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second time is a snap it's just for the first timer.

Ken

Hmmm...booze at Ray's? Oh yeah, now I remember...

Pompano - 11-4-2010 at 07:13 AM

[Edited on 11-5-2010 by Pompano]

BajaBlanca - 11-4-2010 at 10:47 AM

looks much better than I could envision, great photos ....Can't wait til we can get over there ....

mulegemichael - 11-4-2010 at 11:34 AM

blanca/les...we have accomodations that you are welcome to use when you pass this way...we're headed to ray's tomorrow night so will give ya an update....say hi to mark and dale for us and tell them we want a fishing report!

BajaBlanca - 11-4-2010 at 11:47 AM

well, Mark and Dale and Steven are headed back to Mulege cause the tides here were far too high to launch by the time they arrived at the estero this morning :(

so they will fish at home in Mulege or maybe go to the island ....

thanks for the offer of accomodations ! we will be in santa rosalia this thursday but I doubt we can make it to Mulege/Ray's this time since we shall have guests staying with us and have to get back early ....

Response to the question....

CasaManzana - 11-5-2010 at 04:24 PM

....his email address is- raysrancho@yahoo.com

Pompano - 11-5-2010 at 05:04 PM

Headed there in about an hour or so....hic.

dtutko1 - 11-6-2010 at 06:13 AM

Here's the question for thanksgiving dinner. Rays or the pig roast at Serinidad? Life is good!

mulegemichael - 11-6-2010 at 07:11 AM

...given the choice i would ALWAYS choose ray's over the serinidad..

Cypress - 11-6-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:

Any day of the week!:yes:

David K - 11-6-2010 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
I added directions and pics on my blog.

Road to Ray's: http://360panoramas.com/?p=233

Good Job willyAirtream!

BajaBlanca - 11-6-2010 at 12:27 PM

So, now we know how to get there !! that was a good path and it is clearly marked, so it seems. thanks David and Willy.

Except....

Bajahowodd - 11-6-2010 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Quote:

Any day of the week!:yes:

Isn't he only open three days a week right now?:lol:

Seriously, I totally agree on the choice. Like going out for a good steak and choosing between Morton's or Coco's.

Not to knock Serenidad. It is what it is.

David K - 11-6-2010 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
So, now we know how to get there !! that was a good path and it is clearly marked, so it seems. thanks David and Willy.

I only posted a thanks to willy and the link to his page on the directions...

I did find the GPS for it in Mike & Terri Church's 2006 'Camping Mexico's Baja', as Ray has a campground there too, it seems... Wish he was open in the summer as we would like to check it out!

Based on the GPS, and the many turns mentioned... I think I found the road, from space... let me know if it looks right!

The next 7 views are all looking west:

So, is this it?... Ray's driveway:

mulegejim - 11-6-2010 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
Here's the question for thanksgiving dinner. Rays or the pig roast at Serinidad? Life is good!

Don't forget Bart's Jungle on the river - great turkey dinner and many good amigos. See you there. Jim and Melinda

capt. mike - 11-7-2010 at 02:29 AM

only an idiot could not find Ray's.
he has it well signed and well he should as he owns it and wants peoples to find it.
even after dark you easily find the roads to town.

mulegemichael - 11-7-2010 at 07:04 AM

we went there last night with a group of amigos....as usual, the food, the atmosphere, the ambiance, the host and all the staff, were off the charts!...ray brought us so much "complimentary" stuff that i don't know how he makes any money...it was just a spectacular evening!

Russ - 11-7-2010 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
he has it well signed and well he should as he owns it and wants peoples to find it.

Who you calling an idiot!:fire:

capt. mike - 11-7-2010 at 07:57 AM

no one in particular....only anyone who who can't find it i guess.. hahahahaha:lol::lol::lol:

Pompano - 11-7-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:

So okay, okay...we may have followed the wrong damn sign.

k-rico - 11-7-2010 at 09:18 AM

We go to Ray's every time we're in the Mulege area but not for the restaurant. If you're an early morning type, make a thermos of coffee and drive out there at dawn some morning. The valley farmland is a wonderful place to watch and listen to as it wakes up for the day.

Bajahowodd - 11-7-2010 at 03:08 PM

Gee. What have you got against Ray??:lol::lol::lol:

Marc - 12-18-2010 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
head out the icehouse road just north of town center and follow the signs...pay attention...you'll think you're in the middle of nowhere, but you're not...follow the signs to "rays"...it'll be one fine experience for you

Thanks for the directions. I will be sure never to take that road. At least past the ice house. Ray serves old food. :barf: