BajaNomad

San Diego - Tecate

Pompano - 11-23-2009 at 08:19 PM

San Diego - Tecate

Note: Please forgive the tardiness on this trip report that took place in late October, almost a month ago, but I've been busier than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. There's just too much to do in Baja, folks.

As narrated by Pompano....and Co-pilot.

We start this trip report with tongue in cheek....and......Ladies First.

Co-pilot:

Well, after a simply lovely day of sun and fun, we left the pretty coastal cities of Oceanside & Carlsbad, California and made a leisurely drive down to San Diego. I have to say, I LOVED watching those hot buff surfer dudes in their stretchy little outfits..My, My...gets me all a-flutter.

and then there was this breath-taking cathedral on the drive south...Just Gorgeous and so white.

Pompano:

Yeah..there was some real neat sights along the way.

Co-pilot:

We arrived to spend the day at Mission Bay Park, where I took great pleasure in walking Jazzy and Dexter, my adorable Maltese twins. The entire walkways around Mission Bay, and indeed most of San Diego, were just so..so..so..clean. The grass lawns were nicely mowed and just so..so..clean. San Diego must have people from Salt Lake City doing all that cleaning...or maybe they are Dutch.

Pompano:

Uh..yeah, sure. You took a nice relaxing stroll along the malecon with the pooches....while I performed this little 'task' at the handy RV dump next to the Visitor's Center at Mission Bay. Just off I-5 and Clairmont Drive. Empty and fill your tanks and leave it as clean as a whistle - the next guy will thank you.

Never forget this, guys:
"A woman works from sun to sun..but a man's work is never done."

And do you have ANY idea of how much duck poop is on that grass? I wouldn't let those white pooches run around that area too much. They'll look like tie-dye shirts if they do.

Co-pilot:

Oh, those lovely ducks wouldn't make any messes...just like my two little boys don't either. I bet those cute birds use scented pet pads, too. Those Dutch Mormons would see to that...or maybe that would be the Japanese? They have ducks you know...in little garden ponds, to swim with those darling poi fishes. You really should read more, dear.

Now let me tell these nice folks on Nomads about the RV camp we stayed at in Santee, CA. It was called 'something Lakes RV Resort'..and it was in Santee next to those 5 Santee Lakes. Very nice, a diamond in the rough as far as San Diego County campgrounds go. A lovely RV Resort on a long chain of 5 lakes right smack in the middle of Santee. I'll think of the name soon and let you know, but it was very lovely and scenic.

Pompano:

If those little quackers get any closer, I'm adding 'em to our Thanksgiving dinner. Mauled Mallards ala Pompano. I'll whip up some dumplings, too.

Actually this Santee Lakes sign did impress me..being an off-grid solar home owner for about 35 years now..AND..ahem...I supply 100% of my power needs.

Co-pilot:

Solar homes! That reminds me...let's go to Humphrey's Concert on the Bay tonight. How do you like this oufit? Now if you can get showered and all dressed up, we'll get going.

Pompano:

Sounds vunderbar to me, liebchen. I'll just get me one of those fancy-shmancy pedicures and manicures to make me look more like a 'metro man.'

Okay...I'm ready. Let's roll.

Co-pilot:

Well, this is next day and it was interesting and fun at Humphrey's On The Bay last night. We had a simply super and elegant dinner. I had the shrimp scampi lite and Pompano, being a bigger eater, had the Oysters Rockerfeller platter and a rack of lamb on the side. It's good to see a man with an appetite eat like that. Almost like a magic act...one minute it's right there in front of you..and the next...Poof!.. it's gone!

But today we are off to Pt. Loma Seafood on the marina waterfront. This is a seafood cafe that is very popular and always has a lot of customers because of that fact.

The marina at Shelter Island, Point Loma. A delightful place on San Diego Bay that smells just like the sea. I saw someone swimming and diving around the boats..then Pompano told me it was a sea lion. They are cute but a bit weird-smelly and loud.

Those nice big charterboats look like the ones you could fish from and stay comfortable. Not like a canoe.

Pompano:

Ah...Fishermen's Landing...paradise. A great place to yak about fishing rods, reels, lures, what bait is producing, where to fish, when to fish, why fish? Hey....It's all about the fish!

Can I try this out in Baja for a couple months and let you know?

Co-pilot, why's he laughing like that?

Co-pilot:

This place at Point Loma is super if you like seafood...like me. My favorite is shrimp...they call them camamarooons in Baja. I love them broiled or grilled in garlic butter..yummy.

This place is the bomb!

We had deelish sandwiches and some rolled things that tasted like rice and something else. Well Hey!..when in Romania!

Pompano:

Those were DANG TASTY clam and fish sandwiches..made with sourdough bread..and chips....scurrrumptuous! With some sushi and iced tea we were in seventh heaven. Mite on the smallish side, but what the heck.

Co-pilot:

After that great luncheon, we walked along the charterboat offices and noticed what the fishermen were bringing off their boats.

Guess what? It was FISH!

See?

"Did you catch this one? They get LOTS bigger than that, don't they?"

All in all we had a wonderfully great time at Point Loma and the marina. I'll think I'll date this photo October 26th, 2009.

Pompano:

Yes, we certainly did...and also a great time on Coyote Beach back in 1977....

......so, Co-pilot, what say let's get back to that beach in Baja?

Yes!

BAJA ROAD TRIP CONTINUED HERE:
Co-pilot

Oh Wonderful!...well, while I really do love San Diego and the malls and all, it's sooo nice to be on the Road to Baja again.

Here's how we left the big city. We went east on I-8 to El Cajon, south on Hwy 125, and finally onto Campo Hwy 94 through the hills to the Hwy 188 turnoff for Tecate. So simple even a cavegirl could do it....with my gps...hee, hee.

This scenic highway has a somewhat slower driving pace, and is truly a very pleasant drive from El Cajon to the border, with some quaint places to stop, like the quaint little Dulzura Cafe and western style Barret Junction.

DO try some Dudley's bread at Barret Junction, it's very good and we bought a couple loaves. Keeps great in the freezer, too.

Pompano:

Hey..I forgot to pack the damn Kevlar body armor so we could'nt go the TJ - Rosarito - Ensenada route even if we wanted to... and that's why we are going through Tecate again. No open sewers or ricochets. Timewise, you lose about 30 minutes, but it's well worth it not to go through the hassle of TJ.
On stopping at those roadside cafes on the Campo Road, try the 1-1/4 lb California cheeseburger.. a real gutbuster at the Dulzura cafe..with fries or rings of course. Dulzura Cafe has a great selection of hand mixers and spatulas...if you're into that sort of 'thang.' (Hi Corky)

Co-pilot:

The hills and trails to the south of these two cafes are favored by countless hikers we have seen over the years. It must be so NICE to belong to such a gregarious hiking club. Some trips we have seen long lines of them. Looks like a great workout and watching them always prompts me to boost my daily walks with more vigorous committment. Funny how we always see them hiking north, never south..very funny, but also kind of strange, too. Then there is this place where you can pull off and talk to some nice young guys in uniform.

Pompano:

Hiking clubs?? Good grief. Say goodnight, Gracie...and wave to the nice Border Patrol people.

Co-pilot:

We met some real nice folks from Campo, Ca. They had the cutest camper truck combo. Their bed was on top of the truck with a railing around it. I bet it was fun being up there under the stars and a full moon...wow.

Taking the turnoff from Hwy 94 to Tecate, you quickly and easily find yourself at the border between the USA and Mexico.

Here is where you can convenientely park, walk across, and get your fmt (tourist visa) if you need one. Also a few kiosks to change dollars to pesos and maybe your last minute auto insurance or a manicure?
We had the same old great experience at the border. We slowed, looked for, but saw not a soul to check our manifest papers (whatever they are..I had all my shots, hee, hee), and easily drove on through the Mexican border. Being in the motorhome again this time, I missed those cute young officials who always want to look in my drawers. Not a glance from the older officials sitting on chairs over to the side. Nobody at the gatehouse windows...all lanes open.

This has been our personal experience more times than not in the last few years. Pretty easy sailing these days...say 2-3 crossings out of the last 20 that we were actually checked out. It's a little different when we come back, because then we are going into the United States.

Many crossings of the US/Mexican border have taught us....nothing is certain in Baja and that makes it oh soooo special. Maybe next time we'll be checked. I hope so. Those border guys are cute. As usual, we'll be prepared...like always.

Pompano:

Of course, if an official is waving you in, you stop.
But luckily for us..again...we cross without a hitch. I guess we don't fit the profiles of most lawbreakers..or maybe it's just karma.

Whatever, we are happy to be back in Baja and heading south. Look for our next leg of the trip in another report...Tecate to..? somewhere south

Wanna come along?
Co-pilot and I would love to have you join us.

p.s. Co-pilot's a helluva good sport and humors me. She says she knows me very well, but likes me anyway.

[Edited on 11-24-2009 by Pompano]

tripledigitken - 11-23-2009 at 08:33 PM

Pompano,

Just past those two Rat Rods is Rocky's Crown Pub, I hope you stopped in for arguably the best cheeseburgers in SD. If not, try them next time through.

Ken

[Edited on 11-24-2009 by tripledigitken]

Ken Bondy - 11-23-2009 at 08:37 PM

Roger I am soooo glad you take the time to do these reports. You can't imagine how much I enjoy them. Thank you so much. Mil gracias!! ++Ken++

DENNIS - 11-23-2009 at 08:45 PM

Those Mormon Temple Missles are aimed at Iran. They'll be departing soon.

DENNIS - 11-23-2009 at 08:48 PM

Thanks Roger. Neat dialog technique you used there. Great fotos as well.

TheColoradoDude - 11-23-2009 at 09:06 PM

How funny! I just crossed Tecate today and am now in Ocean Beach next to Pt. Loma! :)

Bob H - 11-23-2009 at 10:41 PM

Roger, you outdid yourself on this one..... just love the format! WOW! Pilot/Co-pilot... GREAT.
Your posts are top notch! I hope to meet you some day!
Bob H

LaTijereta - 11-24-2009 at 08:47 AM

Amigo,
Sign me up for the trip south...
Can we stop and pick-up some popcorn...Just up the right there is a little store where we park this rig :tumble:

David K - 11-24-2009 at 08:56 AM

Great as usual Roger! Thanks for the time and effort you do to make your trip stories so informative and fun!

Baja Angel lived right above Santee Lakes when we met, seems a very popular place.

boe4fun - 11-24-2009 at 09:16 AM

Pompano, Great trip report, thanks!

capt. mike - 11-24-2009 at 09:27 AM

Pompano - curious about that claim on the Santee lakes RV picture - a million KW produced a year they say??!!
that's 1000 mega watts of juice. could they have misplaced some zeros??
a 200 KW plant needs 20,000 SF of panels typically.
how much RV shade do they have?
or is it a city project?