BajaNomad

Cocos con Camarones at the Tiki Cafe Cantamar

Gypsy Jan - 11-24-2009 at 03:33 PM

I have already posted about the very good, fiery camarones a la Diabla that they make here, I can't get Sr. GJ to order anything else on the menu, even though he always comments to me, about halfway through his meal, "My lips are burning - but in a good way."

When the restaurant is open (7am-6pm) and they set out a table full of green coconuts with a sandwich sign advertisement.

Locals drive up, stop and honk their horn. Someone runs out and picks up a machete that looks like it was made from a leftover auto part, places the fruit on a strategically placed tree stump and starts hacking away.

Once the top is removed, the coconut juice is poured into a plastic bag, a straw is inserted and then the bag is securely fastened with a rubber band. The shell is returned to the kitchen and the soft, mild meat is scraped clean from the shell and then the whole is delivered to the waiting cusomer, with a plastic fork.

What about the camarones (shrimp) you ask? Well, we dined in and after the water delivery and the scraping of the shell, several very fresh, large cooked shrimp were added into it, along with cucumbers, onion and cilantro in a clear tomato/habanero broth.

It made my lips burn - in a very good way.

The cost for the coco con camarones was $70.00 mn or $5.10 USD.

[Edited on 11-24-2009 by Gypsy Jan]