BajaNomad

San Quintin: Lodging, Camping, n'Stuff

Pompano - 11-28-2009 at 08:52 AM

The date: November, this year of our Lord 2009. (I give that about 15 seconds for a response...I am sooo bad.)

Ensenada to San Quintin is pretty much just a fast drive for me. I'm in a hurry to get home and I really don't need any jarred olives, bags of oranges or clay pots...but IF we need a place to stay or camp, here are some of our choices.

The Old Pier RV camp and motel...fun times and great history. Sea brant hunting and bottom-fishing fills my bill. Road is always rough, so take your time.

The Old Mill camp is close by and also an old time Baja hangout. Same road advisory. 'You takes your chances.'

If you are moteling and in a hurry, I can recommend the San Quintin Villas. Good prices, good cafe, good services. South section of town on west side of highway. Left as you head south.

If you MUST have them, you'll find lots of goodies among the highway vendors.

Lots of services in this area for motorists.

And...more plastic sheeting than anyplace else in the world....ugh.

Now comes one of the most scenic and less-used campspots on the Baja Road/Baja Norte.

South end of San Quintin Bay..just at the curve where the Baja Road turns inland and uphill.

If you are apprehensive about camping alone, then maybe this is not for you. If so, then head for the other places mentioned above.

Even has a 'facility'

We've camped there for years and it's a favorite oasis in that part of the world. But use discretion...it is also a favorite spot for 'other' activities. :rolleyes:

Okay, back on the trail....We buring daylight, pilgrim.

Next Stop..El Rosario.

More on Villas de San Quintin........

CasaManzana - 11-28-2009 at 09:35 AM

A great place to stay as stated earlier here. Naomi is part of the family run business (motel and restaurant) and she will take your reservation at- villasanquintin@hotellavilla.biz . Be sure to put NAOMI in the email headline. Rates just went up to $600/night for two but well worth it. Be sure to have your ether net cable if you want internet- no WiFi. Rooms are spotless and the restaurant will give you take-out ice. You will never find a better 'chicken cesar salad' then there- $65 pesos. The ravoilis are great too. NOT pet friendly and all rooms/restaurant non-smoking:yes:

mulegejim - 11-28-2009 at 10:02 AM

Roger, great post as always. I always try to stay at the Villas de San Quintin when heading north - very quiet and secure. The other spot, right near there, is the Maria Celest - also fairly new and nice rooms - about the same price.

Pompano - 11-28-2009 at 10:06 AM

I agree, Jim...Maria Celest is a great place to stay. More so now after the price hike at the Villas.

But for my part, RVing back and forth to my place in Coyote makes so much more sense. I get tired these days at the oddest times! Convenient to just pull over and fire up the blender.

BajaGringo - 11-28-2009 at 10:10 AM

Wow, with that price hike at Villas, Jardines Baja looks like a really good deal. It is only a mile off the highway on a well maintained dirt road (by Guillermo) and has a great restaurant next door. They have a big parking area Roger and a lot of folks who RV stop there to spend the night. Great Wifi too...

mulegejim - 11-28-2009 at 10:12 AM

Roger, I hear you - just wanted to post for those that motel it. Hope to be in Mulege after the Holidays.

Pompano - 11-28-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Wow, with that price hike at Villas, Jardines Baja looks like a really good deal. It is only a mile off the highway on a well maintained dirt road (by Guillermo) and has a great restaurant next door. They have a big parking area Roger and a lot of folks who RV stop there to spend the night. Great Wifi too...

Great info on Jardines. Groan....We meant to stay at the RV park there on this last trip south, but forgot to make that dang turn. Glad to hear they have Wifi. Next time for sure!