BajaNomad

Surf fishing in Bahia Asuncion

Susana - 11-29-2009 at 04:56 PM

Just spent three days at Campo Sirena surf fishing right in front of the campground. We had some quality surf fishing on Kastmasters and sand crabs. Lots of corbina up to 5 pounds, plenty of halibut and even a yellowfin croaker thown in! If you are thinking about Asuncion, it is well worth the drive in. Road was good when we went. The campground has a great view and is situated close to town.
Also, Shari, (as you all probably know already) was a great host. She checked on us often to see if we needed anything at all. We felt very welcome there by everyone. Can't wait to go back again.
We also ran into our friend from San Quintin, Jonsy. He has opened a nice palapa beer bar that we enjoyed a few at.
Now, we are off to Loreto and then La Paz, hope our good luck holds.

Pompano - 11-29-2009 at 05:04 PM

Thanks Susana for your great report..especially the surf-fishing! We were over there just before Thanksgiving for about 4-5 days and enjoyed the place and hosptilaty IMMENSELY. We spent a night close to where you were and the rest of time blocked Shari and Juan's oceanfront view.

I know that stretch of beach you fished very well...great fun. But next time, go out with Juan and fish some BIG ONES.

Congrats on a fine trip..and welcome to Nomads. :yes:

Russ - 11-29-2009 at 05:13 PM

I've been waiting for a surf fishing report and you nailed it for me. Thank you! I've been busy ordering surf fishing stuff for my Xmas presents ..... to me. I may need a trailer. But I'll have enough stuff to share. I even made a sand crab screen. Hope to be over there soon after the New Year.

shari - 11-30-2009 at 09:28 AM

It was a pleasure to meet you both and nice to see you posting here....welcome amiga....chicks rule!!!
Susanna is an awesome surfisher...what a gal...see ya again soon.

Iflyfish - 11-30-2009 at 09:52 AM

Russ, tell us about your sand crab screen, sounds like required gear.

Iflyfish

Russ - 11-30-2009 at 10:49 AM

When I was a kid there were store bought ones so I suppose there still are. But being down here and with time on my hands I jury rigged this about 1/2 size of what I remember.
The idea is to put the screen down in front of a crab bed and move your feet as the surge goes out. all the crabbies go into the screen and the sand and small rocks wash thru. Presto a pale full of SC's that you can sort for size, softness & eggs. Then it's only a matter of taking the fish off the hook:tumble:
in the sand

move your feet

collect you prize

Iflyfish - 11-30-2009 at 05:24 PM

Russ,

How absolutely cool is that !!! Good one! Great design, first I have ever seen. Can't beat matching the hatch! Thank you.

Iflyfishwhennotfishingusingbait/lures

cbuzzetti - 11-30-2009 at 05:44 PM

The crabs were pretty small the first week of Nov. Only a few larger ones. 1/4" screen may be the largest you will want to use. IMO

Russ - 11-30-2009 at 05:53 PM

They were really small when I was there the last week in Oct. And that was miles in both directions. Hope they grow up. The folks that were using them were loading their hooks up with them. And were going well. Of course, cbuzzetti, you know that you were there.

fishbuck - 11-30-2009 at 06:07 PM

"We also ran into our friend from San Quintin, Jonsy. He has opened a nice palapa beer bar that we enjoyed a few at. "

Jonsy opened a bar:?: Okay I guess I might have to make the trip.
Kinda makes sense for him to open a bar I guess.;D

shari - 11-30-2009 at 06:09 PM

tuna are still here fishbuck...saturday looks like it's going to be a decent day.....

fishbuck - 11-30-2009 at 06:12 PM

Yeah, it was Dec 23 or so last year when I was there. I think you told me that they still were getting limits 2 weeks before that. Is that right?

shari - 11-30-2009 at 06:15 PM

right-o but water temps are cooling off faster than last year so we're not sure how long the tuna bonanza will last...juan's thinking another week or two. We had a storm blow through the last couple days, today was around 25 knots of cold wind, 8-9' swell...crappy but a couple guys in a little Whaler got into tuna anyway...gluttons for punishment and they took a nice big wave into the boat and decided to come in...crazy buggers.