BajaNomad

THE BEGGAR OF CATAVINA

Pompano - 11-30-2009 at 08:20 AM

CATAVINA..land of giants, spas, and beggars.

I always know I'm halfway to my Baja destination when I drive into the small desert compound of Catavina.

For me, it's about 650 miles from the Tecate US/Mexico border to my driveway.

Once upon a time, a young child called this place the LAND OF THE GIANT ROCKS and I am reminded of that ever time I pass through this scenic boulder field. Just seeing some boonjums again warms my heart with old memories.

Did you see this wash just north of town? I am also reminded of flash floods and when this arroyo's smooth stone bowls would be full of fresh water...and we would swim in them for hours. Our spa. A rare luxury in the heat of the desert.

We have all come across this vado or dip in the road just a couple miles north of Catavina. One of the landmarks of the Baja Road that was oftentimes flooded. At times we would take advantage of the running water and wash our rigs here. Safely over to the side of course...no sense hogging the whole roadway, even though it was an hour or two between vehicles back then.

Some strange events happened to me at this bump in the Baja Road. Right there at the bottom of the vado, where a sharp trench cut by the water made you slow way, way down...I crossed paths with an amigo I had just met the year before when he and his wife were camping in Coyote Bay. He was traveling north and I was southbound. We pulled off into a wide spot and had lunch together, renewing our friendship, then finally continueing on our separate ways. A welcome chance meeting of Baja Buddies.

The next year at about the same time I am headed north and who do I meet at the very same bump in the road? Si..the same fellow, who is my amigo Pier. We were both totally amazed and decided to call it Dos Amigos Vado. That was over 30 years ago and we've met almost every year since in other Baja places. Who knows when we will connect again at our vado?

Knowing us and how much we love Baja, I'd say the chances are pretty damn good.

I noticed a new addition to this area a few years back. Now DON'T ask me how many, I might say 2 when it was probably 12..;) That new addition was.....

....a new tourism business...a museum, camping, and hiking trail enterprise.

Unfortunately when I passed by the last few times (NO, I don't know how many times!) the facility was in shambles. Looks like Mother Nature batted last.

Once upon a time in Catavina we stayed at this pink motel & adjoining..uh, cafe. It was called Mi Cabana...My Cabin.

Well, I really love cabins..grew up in them all over the Up North country. So I figured that with that name going for them, these would be a welcome change to the never-any-hot water & no-electricity at the old El Presidentes, which became Pintas, and now..you know, called something Desert or..?...wait, that's it, I think.."Desert Storms", right? I can never quite keep up with all these name changes over the years.

My gal's mother and her nice cat-in-a-cage took one room, while we took the adjoining one. One look inside did not bring to mind any 'cabin' I had ever stayed in Up North. A cell at a monastery would have more decor and appeal than this cement cubicle. The bed was a wobbly narrow swayback with a threadbare blanket and one pillow. No sheets, no pillow case. Our furniture was an over-turned can with a half-burned candle melted down on top. No matches. We DID have a window to escape through if a chupacabra or such busted down the 1/8" plywood door.

I heard a slight cry of alarm from the room next door.

I thought, 'That guy is not going to refund one centavo, soooo...'

I hauled in a big cooler full of Pacificos and Cokes, a bottle of Bacardi...and got some limes and chairs from the 'cafe.'

After 3 or 4 hours the rooms were not so bad. The cat had a bad hangover the next day.

NEED GAS?

Although this gasoline is muy caro it is for those emergencies when you have forgotten to top off your tank. You know you've done that, right? Here I am getting about 5 gallons ... just in case. It's about 70 miles north to the next Pemex...and almost 100 to the south.

I really liked these remote Baja Road hotels when they were first built during the highway construction era...1972-73. Back then they were all El Presidente Hotels and they were a welcome sight to weary travelers. Later this one became one of the Pintas, and now today of the Desert Inns. Far more than being merely a place to rest and eat, the lounges became gathering spots for early Baja vets to share experiences of their trip to date.

You always seemed to meet an old friend in the lounge..or meet a new one. You ran into some real 'characters' out here in the middle of the Baja desert. Fun stuff around those evening bull sessions at the old Presidentes. A chance meeting with some Baja authors, or amiga Baja Patti, who I had already met in Conception Bay. The tequila flowed that night! What stories she had..and what a love of horses and horsemen.

So many others get lost in the fog of my memory banks, faces you had seen somewhere before?, familiar rigs like the Tortuga out in the lot, more amigos like JW Black aka Blackjack, an ex-girlfriend from Polson Lake (Hi Joyce! oh mama mia...), well..you get the idea. These were the kind of places Baja-lovers would bivouac for the night, pulled together by that common bond, the love of this land a lot of us now call home.

And there are some Newer additions.....

Hold on a sec..thinking of 'Baja Characters' who hasn't passed through Catavina the last couple of years without being greeted by this unique guy. The Beggar Of Catavina

"Gotta extra peso?"

For myself, I first ran across him sitting on the wall next to the highway pretty close to that little general store on the north edge of Catavina. If you slow down enough he'll approach and ask for a small 'donation'..."gotta peso?" Give him a fewkh and then ask how he came to be in this lonely stretch of real estate...You'll be truly amazed at the stories that will enfold!

After listening to just ONE of his explanations as to how he came to be here...I looked up an old photo online to check that story out for myself. I dunno..he really doesn't look that much like 'BOY' in the old Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies. 'Sides, those movies are a mite dated for his age, doncha-think? ;)

'Andy' (a name he gave me one time) also invented the Frisbee and the Hula-Hoop. You gotta love him, though. He's part of what makes the Baja Road so damn much fun!!

The last time I visited with Gottapeso was Sept 15 during one of my trips to Mulege after Hurricane Jimena. He asked where I was from and then told me many actual facts about my home state. So indeed, it seems he has a wealth of information at his disposal to impress and entertain. Hey, it's his rice bowl. I asked if I could take some photos of him and post them on the internet with a story about him. He said fine..and when I pass by again I will show him this result.

Another Plus..it's just plain fascinating around the Catavina Rocks. No small wonder it became a national treasure and park worthy of it's legal protection, the Desierto Central de Baja California, Baja's unique Central Desert.

The various cactus found in these parts are truly amazing and should keep any botanist busy for weeks.

Hundreds of species of cactus live here, many of them found nowhere else.

This desert is also home to many non-cactus species,

including two almost identical looking but unrelated versions of the elephant tree,

and the cirio, or boojum, Baja's signature contribution to the world of unusual flora.

Some interesting history on The Boojum. This plant looks like nothing else. It mimicks a giant carrot growing upside down, with its root sticking up to fifty feet in the air. It has a trunk and leaves, but no branches until it's a hundred years old or more, when the trunk divides into two or more whip-like tops. A fifty-year-old specimen might be a foot thick at its base, and less than five feet tall. It's one of the slowest growing plants in the world, at the rate of a foot every ten years, which means a mature fifty-footer may be more than 500 years old.
An Arizona botanist, in 1922, applied the name boojum, after the imaginary "boojum" that inhabited "distant shores" in Lewis Carrol's Hunting of the Snark. The early Spaniards called it cirio, or candle, probably because of its resemblance to the handmade tapers that decorated the Jesuit altars.
After plentiful rainfall, the "candle" sprouts a flame of yellow blossoms at its tip, and its trunk is covered with small green leaves. When water is absent, it sheds all its leaves, to preserve moisture within the trunk. The boojum is abundant in this two hundred mile strip of desert, but the only other place it grows is a small patch at the same latitude across the Sea of Cortez, in the State of Sonora.

This is fertile ground for the giant cardón, the world's largest cactus, reaching more than sixty feet tall. The cardón is often mistaken for its smaller northern cousin, the saguaro. In Indian lore, the cardón sometimes took on human attributes and moved around the desert at night when people slept.

These giant cacti may have been an inspiration for the ancient cave paintings of giants in the nearby mountains.

OR...the cactus may be just damn glad to be here in Baja and simply signaling YIPPEE!

Unique varieties of barrel cacti, organ pipe (pitahaya), prickly pear (nopal) and cholla also decorate the landscape, along with yuccas, agaves and rare varieties of ocotillo, a thorny Medusa-head vine distantly related to the cirio.

These plants provided food and water for the Baja native people who survived in the desert for thousands of years before the arrival of the first Europeans. Then as now, some of the woody stalks were used as firewood, and for constructing shelter and fences. One of the first things I noticed in area were the unique cactus-rib and living fences.

Young nopal pads, and pitahaya and several other types of cactus fruit are still popular foods in Baja today. All of us have noticed these well-cared fields of 'ping-pong paddles', as that youngster used to call them so long ago.

Well, the shadows are getting longer and ..."I have miles to go before I sleep"..so it's time to move the herd south again.

Can you hear that familiar voice out there..? I can.

"We're burning daylight, pilgrim."

[Edited on 12-3-2009 by Pompano]

wessongroup - 11-30-2009 at 08:25 AM

Can only say, thank you so much for sharing ...... the pictures just add so much to a thread, and thanks for all the work putting all this together to put up... :):)

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 08:33 AM

Ahh, Roger....When I see your travelogues, I'm happily reminded of this song:

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet
From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

Cypress - 11-30-2009 at 08:40 AM

Pompano, Thanks.

Pompano - 11-30-2009 at 08:43 AM

Dennis...my sister sang that Wanderer song to lots of children. Once I think we were on a school bus going to the lake to swim one summer day long ago. Sure takes me back..

[Edited on 11-30-2009 by Pompano]

k-rico - 11-30-2009 at 09:02 AM

Somebody told me the beggar's name is "Un Peso" because that's what he asks for. I usually give him 10 pesos. We always stop at Catavina to stretch our legs and let the dogs out. I first saw him several years ago and he's been there every time since.

He told me the Tarzan movie story and that he helped Lennon and McCartney write their songs. He is truly insane in a harmless way. Really. If you've never spoken with a 100% deluded person, chat him up, it's interesting from a psychological point of view. He's tough to shut up once he's on a roll though.

Catavina is a magical place. One of my favorites along the road. Un peso has found a nice place to dwell upon his madness.

I am grateful for the posting Pompano.

fixtrauma - 11-30-2009 at 09:05 AM

It took a lot of effort to to post it and I enjoyed it. We will watch for the "Beggar of Catavina" when we drive through if a few weeks.

rts551 - 11-30-2009 at 09:05 AM

Great. Haven't seen the begger in a while????? Mexicans call him "gotapeso"

vandenberg - 11-30-2009 at 09:05 AM

Thanks Roger,
Saves me another trip.:biggrin::biggrin:

Udo - 11-30-2009 at 09:08 AM

Your photolog is exactly what I needed, Roger, while putting up with up with 25 degree weather as well as 5" of fresh snow and 30MPH winds.

BajaGringo - 11-30-2009 at 09:17 AM

Another great photo/story post Roger. What a great way to start my day...

AcuDoc - 11-30-2009 at 09:48 AM

I'm also postive this is the same guy I met years ago at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio. There were some really wild stories about the movies, how he was once married to the daughter of the Corona Beer fortune etc...

[Edited on 11-30-2009 by AcuDoc]

David K - 11-30-2009 at 09:50 AM

Thank you Roger...

The Cataviña El Presidente was the last one constructed in the last section of Hwy. 1 to be completed... before the end of 1973. It was an amazing rush job of construction crews... We went through there in July of 1973, and the new road bed had not reached Santa Ynez from either direction (there was no 'Cataviña' yet... just the neame from the abandoned rancho down the arroyo. Just Rancho San Luis and Rancho Santa Ynez in the 60's and until the end of '73.

The new roadbed, unpaved had reached near Agua Dulce from the north (pavement ended near El Progreso) and to Laguna Chapala from the south (pavement was in sections to Punta Prieta and solid to Villa Jesus Maria coming from the south that July).

KurtG - 11-30-2009 at 10:01 AM

I've never forgotten riding my then new Honda 750 through Cataviña in the Fall of '74. It was absolutely stunning and I camped in the rocks under an almost full moon. Recently I have looked inside the old cafeteria there and and at the BOLA turn off, sad to see the remnants of those lovely places with their little rock and cactus gardens in the center. That trip was my first to Baja and I had a grand plan to ferry to the mainland and then ride back to the states. I rode to La Paz and then to San Jose del Cabo and San Lucas and after enjoying that area for a couple of weeks decided I wasn't going to find anyplace I liked more than Mulege so headed back north and settled into the Hacienda for a couple of weeks. Found a little house for rent behind Las Casitas which I rented from Cuca's brother Alan. Went back to Minnesota where my two pre-school children were staying with my parents while I did my traveling and we headed back to Mulege where we spent much of the next two years. That may have been the best part of my life and my children have great memories of our life and subsequent visits there. Looking at old photos from that time brings back fantastic memories.

LaTijereta - 11-30-2009 at 10:26 AM

That "Dos Amigos Vado" has not changed much in 30+years

1978 Catavina Vado

I remember driving through it slowly to help cool the underside of the car when there was water sitting in it..

k-rico - 11-30-2009 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fixtrauma
It took a lot of effort to to post it and I enjoyed it. We will watch for the "Beggar of Catavina" when we drive through if a few weeks.

He could probably use some warm clothes if you have some to spare.

Happy Wanderer

Skipjack Joe - 11-30-2009 at 10:27 AM

I thought I remembered hearing that melody sung in German when I was a toddler.

Sure enough, it was written after WWII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Happy_Wanderer

Acuity - 11-30-2009 at 10:47 AM

Pompano - your posts are one of the reasons I look at the forum. Very enjoyable!

gnukid - 11-30-2009 at 10:48 AM

One peso please?

Catavina's rock garden

Skipjack Joe - 11-30-2009 at 11:01 AM

A natural playground.

motoged - 11-30-2009 at 11:30 AM

More....More !!!!:yes::yes::yes:

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
A natural playground.

I'll bet the rattlers like it.

tripledigitken - 11-30-2009 at 11:54 AM

It is always a highlight of our trips to Baja to spend a little time in Catavina. Thanks for the post.

Love the Blue Palms!

Taken at Rancho Santa Ynez

[Edited on 11-30-2009 by tripledigitken]

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 11:58 AM

OK Nomads...Sing along with Roger as he makes his way home.

The words are above and I hope this music links:

http://www.qsl.net/n7jy/images/wanderer.mid

toneart - 11-30-2009 at 02:43 PM

Dennis,

The music link worked! Only thing is...no words. It is just you getting a chance to play your drums with the accordion-playing, Un Peso, in Catavina. :lol:

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 02:49 PM

Here ya go, Tony. I posted them way up on this thread.
-------------

The Happy Wanderer

I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.
Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet
From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

Bajahowodd - 11-30-2009 at 02:50 PM

Roger- Your travel posts are outta sight. Always look forward to them. You reminded me of that pink motel. It lends a whole new meaning to the term "basic". It's my understanding that it is run by the daughter of the folks that run Rancho Santa Ynes. And the only time it ever gets any action is during whale season, when unwitting travelers, not driving self-contained equipment drive up to the Desert Inn late in the day without a reservation, only to learn that the whale tour operators had reserved most, if not all the rooms there.

24baja - 11-30-2009 at 02:51 PM

My dear Sir Pompano, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking me on a very lovely journey. It is cold here in Grants Pass, foggy and icy, just looking at that stretch of road has warmed my heart and soul. Thank you for sharing your travels. Connie

toneart - 11-30-2009 at 02:51 PM

Roger,

Again...great photos! I have seen the beggar, Un Peso, for the last couple of years..around eight trips through Catavina. I usually give him a few pesos but never asked him to relate his story(s). Glad you could fill us in. Those vados, and the boulder fields are old friends too.

Thank you.

:yes::cool:

Ken Bondy - 11-30-2009 at 03:38 PM

Roger, can't tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts, both your commentary and your magnificent photos. Catavina is a favorite place, very unique with the rock gardens and cirio. In all of my flying trips I never knew it existed (even though I landed a few times at Rancho Santa Ynez). Discovered it when we started driving about eight years ago. Thanks again, ++Ken++

Paulina - 11-30-2009 at 08:19 PM

Thank you Pompano, I really look forward to your posts. Thank you for taking the extra time on your journey
that it must take to take all the photos, then put a post together for our entertainment once you get home.

If I may, I'd like to add a little bit of what I have on Gottapeso.

"My name is Andy Hurr, but that's not really my name."

We took a video of him in Aug. but I can't get the video to sinc with the sound when I put it on my computer. Here are some notes I took on our way south. I took the video on our way back north when we gave him a small yellowtail. He didn't know what it was but was going to cook it in butter on his one frying pan.

"My name is Andy Hurr, but that's not my real name. I is the baby who stared in Tarzan. Jane was my real mom. I think I came from Hollywood and Vine but I can't remember cause I was just a baby."

He's waiting for his trust, which is in Switzerland but he "can't have it here otherwise it will get spent."

The house in the movie Scarface is his real house. He has a house in Brazil.

He either wrote most of The Beatles songs, or gave John Lennon the ideas.

"I wrote most of Elvis' songs. Elvis didn't want to make the movie Blue Hawaii because he didn't know how to surf, so I took Marilyn Monroe to Hawaii so she could teach Elvis to surf."

He invented pink champagne for Marilyn.

He invented the steam iron for Marilyn because she hated ironing.

He doesn't collect aluminum cans because, " I had 4 cans once and the can guy never came around."

He invented the crockpot, the rotisery oven, pipes under concrete to melt snow and ice, navagation systems, the Hybred motor, drew the designs for the motorized lawn mower, Invented the name "Catapillar" for the heavy equipment company at the age of 8 when lying on his back in a park with a girl watching a catapillar crawl by.

That's all I had jotted down in my journal. He has always answered to the name Andy when we greet him. We'll check in on him again come December.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 1-12-2009 by Paulina]

Skipjack Joe - 11-30-2009 at 08:23 PM

Sounds like Forrest Gump.

Sh*t, he even looks like Forrest.

fixtrauma - 11-30-2009 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by fixtrauma

He could probably use some warm clothes if you have some to spare.

Thanks for the heads up k-rico. We will be ready.

Mexicorn - 11-30-2009 at 10:23 PM

What no Sizler?

vgabndo - 11-30-2009 at 10:23 PM

Gottapeso...

I've heard some of those stories and more. He invented the Frisbie. The Beatles and Marilyn are frequent threads in his version of reality.

IMG_0502.JPG - 36kB

Diver - 11-30-2009 at 10:29 PM

He looks a bit older but this sounds like a guy that we met at Los Equipales in Mulege about 6-7years ago.
He bought us a drink and we bought him 2.
I have heard that he stiffed the owner of Los Equipales for some bad checks; from his trust.
At the time, he was Johnny Weismuller's son, a hollywood producer and "they" were after him.
He lived in a small rental on the south side of the river.
Maybe Pompano knows if it's the same guy ?

Mexicorn - 11-30-2009 at 10:34 PM

Maybe he's the guy from the Dos Equis comercials you know the guy who blood smells like cologne. The most interesting man in the world.

Paulina - 11-30-2009 at 10:48 PM

vgabundo,

He was quite a bit heavier in your photo. That must have been taken quite a few years ago?

P<*)))>{

BajaNuts - 11-30-2009 at 11:41 PM

I can't figure out how to post them together, but it looks like the same baseball cap in Pompano's and Paulina's photos, the cap is different but the person looks the same in vgbndo's pic.

fishbuck - 11-30-2009 at 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
vgabundo,

He was quite a bit heavier in your photo. That must have been taken quite a few years ago?

P<*)))>{

Ya, that's the Gottapeso I know. If those other photos are him he ain't looking to good.

BajaNuts - 11-30-2009 at 11:56 PM

FISHY! yer online! did I miss the next chapter or conclusion of your story?

nuthin' like putting pressure on the author!:biggrin:

And ps-thanks pompano for a wonderful pictorial story.

irenemm - 12-1-2009 at 12:03 AM

Wow
nice photos and a great story. I have lived almost 30 years in Vicente Guerrero and have never been south. Maybe this next year coming up sure looks great.
thanks again for all the photos

Catavina personalities

SunnyDay - 12-1-2009 at 12:11 AM

That pink motel is owned by the managers of Rancho Santa Inez, the couple hotel rooms at the ranch are pretty rough too. Do you know Marv Patchen' who's got a tiny cabin near the runway? Ralph and Pat who live up behind the ranch house? Wonder how they are doing, haven't been by in a couple years. Marv wrote a couple Baja adventure books and one about the cabin he let anybody/everybody stay in. He was getting in in years and frail last time I hiked with him, Dec 2007.
PS - That begger guy joined us on a picnic/nap stop and would not stop talking. Fed him lunch. When we said "bye-bye" it's our nap time, he berated my cooking (quesadillas.)

fishbuck - 12-1-2009 at 12:12 AM

I've had a little writers block but I've been thinking about the next chapter. Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
FISHY! yer online! did I miss the next chapter or conclusion of your story?

nuthin' like putting pressure on the author!:biggrin:

And ps-thanks pompano for a wonderful pictorial story.

Skipjack Joe - 12-1-2009 at 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
More....More !!!!:yes::yes::yes:

This is one of my favorite cactuses: the candelabra.

fixtrauma - 12-1-2009 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Maybe he's the guy from the Dos Equis comercials you know the guy who blood smells like cologne. The most interesting man in the world.

:lol: :lol: I did literally LOL when I read your post. My kids keep showing me all the Dos Equis commercials on YouTube. They are quite funny. :lol: :lol:

[Edited on 12-1-2009 by fixtrauma]

capt. mike - 12-1-2009 at 08:06 AM

this is fascinating.
can any mental wonks/pros here chime in on what exactly this disease he has is?
is is schitzophrenia or some other dementia? i am simply curious.
it reminds me of the character in the recent movie Jamie Foxx played who had similar behavior as far as i can interpret.

DENNIS - 12-1-2009 at 08:23 AM

Could be schizophrenia, dillusional. Could be drug warped. Could be many things. No problem as long as he's harmless.

bill erhardt - 12-1-2009 at 09:57 AM

Great post, Pomp!

noproblemo2 - 12-1-2009 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AcuDoc
I'm also postive this is the same guy I met years ago at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio. There were some really wild stories about the movies, how he was once married to the daughter of the Corona Beer fortune etc...

[Edited on 11-30-2009 by AcuDoc]

That is also where I remember seeing him, years ago as well.... Very polite guy...

makana.gabriel - 12-1-2009 at 01:29 PM

Great pics & fabulous narrative!!!
Thanks!

bajabass - 12-1-2009 at 01:40 PM

Been through Catavina several times in the last 3 years, and never missed seeing him. He named M&M's after Marilyn, a couple other candy bars as well. Dillusional at best, flat out loonie tunes most likely! Hard life living there on bummed pesos. Last time through I gave him a buck and a cold soda. Great photo trip, Thanks!!

Sharksbaja - 12-1-2009 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
this is fascinating.
can any mental wonks/pros here chime in on what exactly this disease he has is?
is is schitzophrenia or some other dementia? i am simply curious.
it reminds me of the character in the recent movie Jamie Foxx played who had similar behavior as far as i can interpret.

Could he be a Vietnam Vet?:light:

Natalie Ann - 12-1-2009 at 04:52 PM

Quality pix, even better stories.... boy! do I love cyber-road-tripping with you, Pompano!
Thank you again for a truly fun adventure.

nena

Crusoe - 12-1-2009 at 05:34 PM

Thanks Roger for such a grand and graphic tour. The standing rocks area is one of our most favorite campiing spots while traveling. If a person takes the time to follow some of the dirt tracks that go west, some go for 3/4 of a mile or so, and you will find your own personal little amphitheater. Away from the hi-way and if the moon is near full one can climb to the top of some of the higher rocks and have a most amazing expierience. Thanx again for such a wonderful photo tour. ++C++

Wiles - 12-1-2009 at 06:30 PM

Salud Pompano, you bring a wonderful Baja spirit to the table. We all enjoy dining there.

Speaking of the vado north of Catavina, does anyone remember seeing a Porsche 911 Carrera in the wash next to the vado? Time frame somewhere between 79-81. What a strange site that was for several weeks.

Paulina - 12-1-2009 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiles

Speaking of the vado north of Catavina, does anyone remember seeing a Porsche 911 Carrera in the wash next to the vado? Time frame somewhere between 79-81. What a strange site that was for several weeks.

Wiles,

I don't remember the Porsche, but do you remember the DeLorean in the wash just north of the San Fernando Velicata ruins - El Pregreso region, about 10 mi. north of Quayaquil? The car was in the wash on the west side of the road for the longest time.

P<*)))>{

bajamigo - 12-1-2009 at 07:10 PM

A deLorean? For the longest time? What's that about?
:?:

Paulina - 12-1-2009 at 07:26 PM

They don't rust.

:spingrin:

On edit: Serious, it looked as if it was heading north, missed the very sharp turn or over corrected and hit the hard 90 left into the arroyo. Of course it was stripped instantly and over the years it sank deeper and deeper into the sand. At one point it was gone, probably collected during the dead car body clean up that happened a few years back.

P<*)))>{

[Edited on 2-12-2009 by Paulina]

Wiles - 12-1-2009 at 08:04 PM

Well yes Paulina, I do remember that DeLorean, stainless steel skin and all.

Speaking of DeLorean, In 1982 he was held for a short time in the Terminal Island Federal Pen located in the Los Angeles Harbor awaiting trial for drug smuggling. At the time I was an on board marine sciences instructor for the LA County School System and we would drag an otter trawl within the restricted zone adjacent to the prison twice a day collecting specimens. It was fun to point out who was behind the barbed wire to the visiting teachers and parents. They thought it was really cool.

mulegemichael - 12-1-2009 at 08:12 PM

geez, i thought we were ALL vietnam vets....where have i been?

vgabndo - 12-1-2009 at 08:42 PM

My photo was taken the 3rd. week in January this year.

Oh, and Michael. I was as close as the Tonkin Gulf and I don't call myself a Nam Vet. I was back in the world at Pendleton before the De Nang landing. No one who wasn't in country is a veteran of that mess. IMJ

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by vgabndo]

BajaWarrior - 12-1-2009 at 09:33 PM

I saw a YouTube video once titled Forrest Gump of Baja (or Mexico, I forget) Sorry don't know how to upload onto Nomads... I was about that very beggar man of Catavina.

DENNIS - 12-2-2009 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
I saw a YouTube video once titled Forrest Gump of Baja (or Mexico, I forget) Sorry don't know how to upload onto Nomads... I was about that very beggar man of Catavina.

Maybe this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KQz91OTobE

Casey67 - 12-2-2009 at 02:37 PM

Great pics and posts Pompano!

Hook - 12-2-2009 at 04:40 PM

My favorite tidbit was the fact that he had been growing strawberries in a nearby valley and THAT was the inspiration for Strawberry Fields Forever.

I guess I never knew that John Lennon did Baja.....................

Crusoe - 12-2-2009 at 04:41 PM

Hook............:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

vgabndo - 12-2-2009 at 04:47 PM

How terribly unfair to the fictional Gump.

My impression is that Gottapeso is too young to have been damaged during the Vietnamese civil war. It may be that there is a reason that of all the other things he believes he did in his life that serving in SE Asia may not be one of them, or that he is blocking-out the memory. This is not to say that there are not thousands of veterans who behave much like him because they were never able to overcome the damage done by being drafted into a life of insane barbarity, then promptly forgotten.

Please remember these men and women.

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-2-2009 at 04:54 PM

I feel sorry for him! I hope he is ok.

Bajahowodd - 12-2-2009 at 04:58 PM

It's probably just my general crankiness, but I found the You Tube video to be way too patronizing. Several years ago, we overnighted at the El Moro outside of Santa Rosalia. come dinnertime, we went into their restaurant to find a very paltry buffet (which we opted out from). But we did meet one fellow, a self-described Viet Nam vet, who lived in his van in the Mulege area. He told us that he drove up from Mulege just so he could enjoy this (awful) buffet. I sincerely hope he is OK. But the bigger issue here is that this country needs to stop throwing its youth at the world just so a fortunate few can make obscene profit. The last legitimate war this country was involved in was WWII. We were attacked by Japan. We were helping our European friends beat back the assault fro Hitler. Everything since that time has been little more than a thinly veiled excuse to make people rich at the cost of our precious youth. Still happening today.:(

fishbuck - 12-2-2009 at 05:00 PM

I never give him any money but I feel sorry for him too! That's got to be a tough life.

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
I feel sorry for him! I hope he is ok.

DENNIS - 12-2-2009 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
civil war

Oxymarooon delux.

Skipjack Joe - 12-3-2009 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
My favorite tidbit was the fact that he had been growing strawberries in a nearby valley and THAT was the inspiration for Strawberry Fields Forever.

I guess I never knew that John Lennon did Baja.....................

Forrest Gump: In the land of China, people hardly got nothing at all.
John Lennon: No possessions?
Forrest Gump: And in China they never go to church.
John Lennon: No religion too?
Dick Cavett: Ah. Hard to imagine.
John Lennon: Well it's easy if you try, Dick.