BajaNomad

Tacos better than Yaqui's???

The Gull - 11-30-2009 at 06:43 PM

Yes, and here's why.

The manager of Yaqui's for many years was the dude behind the counter who made the cat noises. He broke off from Yaqui's (before Yaqui moved because of his dispute with his landlord who he didn't pay rent for three years).

There is a location in Playas de Rosarito and two in TJ. The name is Tacos El Gerente. In Playas de Rosarito it is on the same street as the (now two) Yaqui's, but about 3-4 blocks north on a corner behind (east of) Hotel California. Tested and passed the good tasting test this weekend.

Also, need to report that Taqueria 2000 has fallen off on quality and should be ignored.

[Edited on 12-1-2009 by The Gull]

JESSE - 11-30-2009 at 07:40 PM

Be warned:

I just struck a deal with the ex manager of Yaquis, now owner of El Gerente. Next year i am opening a Yaqui style Taqueria here in La Paz.

:bounce:

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Be warned:

I just struck a deal with the ex manager of Yaquis, now owner of El Gerente. Next year i am opening a Yaqui style Taqueria here in La Paz.

And...it will be called...what? Yakityaquis?

JESSE - 11-30-2009 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Be warned:

And...it will be called...what? Yakityaquis?

:?:

DENNIS - 11-30-2009 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
:?:

Gotta keep teachin' you foreigners, huh. :lol:
-----------

Yakity Yak Lyrics by Coasters, The

Take out those papers and the trash
Or you don't get no spending cash
If you don't sweep that kitchen floor
You ain't gonna rock 'n' roll no more

Yakity yak
Don't talk back

Just finish cleaning up your room
Let's see that dustpan with that broom
Get all that garbage out of sight
Or you don't go out Friday night

Yakity Yak
Don't talk back

You just put on your coat and hat
And walk yourself to the laundromat
And when you finish doing that
Bring in the dog and put out the cat

Yakity yak
Don't talk back

Don't you give me no dirty looks
Your father's hip he knows what cooks
Just tell your hoodlum friends outside
You ain't got time to take a ride

Yakity yak
Don't talk back

Yakity yak, Yakity yak (til fade)

Wait!!!

Dave - 11-30-2009 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Be warned:

Cancel the deal. I'll give you the recipe. ;D

JESSE - 11-30-2009 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Be warned:

Do you really have it or should i get ready for a horse joke:spingrin:

Yes, El Gerente is the Real Deal

Gypsy Jan - 11-30-2009 at 08:32 PM

We stopped going to Yaquis after some disappointing meals, then one of our friends told hubby to go to El Gerente down the street.

There he was, Hugo, the master cook and catcaller. The tacos were same great ones that we used to get at Yaquis.

The Gull - 12-1-2009 at 07:15 AM

So, Jan, you have holding out on the rest of the Nomads and not providing this key information about El Gerente. :fire::mad:

tripledigitken - 12-1-2009 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
We stopped going to Yaquis after some disappointing meals, then one of our friends told hubby to go to El Gerente down the street.

There he was, Hugo, the master cook and catcaller. The tacos were same great ones that we used to get at Yaquis.

Gypsy Jan,

What makes their tacos so outstanding?

Ken

Meow

Dave - 12-1-2009 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Hugo, the master cook and catcaller.

Gypsy Jan,

What makes their tacos so outstanding?

Ken

Look... up. ;D

tripledigitken - 12-1-2009 at 11:52 AM

That just may be too exotic for my taste.:o:barf:

The secret's in the meat

Dave - 12-1-2009 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Be warned:

Do you really have it or should i get ready for a horse joke:spingrin:

Thicker cut skirt steak. It's really not a secret. Search the internet for Sonoran style tacos. With your, or your chef's abilities you can make 'em as good...or probably better.

BTW, I see where Taco's Yaqui is now in SoCal and is selling franchises.

Sorry, Gull

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2009 at 12:11 PM

Hubby brought the tacos home with him. I haven't personally visited El Gerente myself, yet, so I was waiting on that before I posted a report.

Just Cook At Home

Bajahowodd - 12-1-2009 at 12:26 PM

http://catrecipes.com/

Hey tripledigitken

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2009 at 12:34 PM

Years ago, Tacos Yaqui had a newspaper interview written about them by El Mexicano, I think, posted in a frame on the wall. Since I had plenty of time on my hands while I waited in the long line, I polished up my Spanish language reading skills by making my way, painfully and slowly, through the story.

If I remember correctly, Tacos Yaqui opened up in 1985. The older man that was the founder told the newspaper that he orders a special cut of beef (arrachera, I think) from a Tijuana butcher and then the steak is marinated in a secret recipe for twenty-four hours.

Also, the beans are cooked in a soupy broth with special special seasonings (not refried), that is supposed to be typical of "Yaqui" style cooking, hence the name, Tacos Yacqui, and that's the reason for the caricature mural of the Indian that is painted on the wall of the building.

The whole "cat meat" thing came about when a customer jokingly remarked that all the neighborhood cats had disappeared since the business had opened, and the guys there quickly picked it up and ran with it. They loved nothing better to see little kids eyes open wide when the cook meowed while chopping up meat with the cleaver.

makana.gabriel - 12-1-2009 at 01:23 PM

I am going to Rosarito tomorrow on business but not that familiar with the place. Can you please tell me more detailed directions? Is Hotel CA that is mentioned on the main boulevard?
Many thanks!

Rosarito Downtown Map

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2009 at 01:38 PM

Go to: http://rosaritomap.com/html/downtown.html

Sorry, I don't know of a Hotel CA, do you mean Hotel Corona?

Also, This Rosarito Downtown Satellite Picture Map

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2009 at 01:41 PM

Go to: http://www.mlsbaja.com/RosaritoMaps.html

The Gull - 12-1-2009 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Go to: http://rosaritomap.com/html/downtown.html

Sorry, I don't know of a Hotel CA, do you mean Hotel Corona?

Do you REALLY LIVE in Playas de Rosarito? Here is a picture of the place. Print it out and match it to buildings along the main drag. The Website is still under construction, but the place has been there for at least a decade.

http://www.rosaritobeach.net/hotel-california.htm

Yes, I live in Playas de Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2009 at 05:28 PM

According to my official address as issued by the Mexican government.

But I live pretty far away from Rosarito Centro and much prefer that state of affairs.

Bajahowodd - 12-1-2009 at 05:46 PM

If this wasn't the Nomad board and if I didn't know Gull on here for a long time, I'd wonder if this wasn't an attempt for a home invasion thing.:o

arrowhead - 12-1-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
The manager of Yaqui's for many years was the dude behind the counter who made the cat noises. He broke off from Yaqui's (before Yaqui moved because of his dispute with his landlord who he didn't pay rent for three years).

There is a location in Playas de Rosarito and two in TJ. The name is Tacos El Gerente.

That's original. "Tacos El Gerente" means "The Manager's Tacos."
:lol:

The Gull - 12-2-2009 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
If this wasn't the Nomad board and if I didn't know Gull on here for a long time, I'd wonder if this wasn't an attempt for a home invasion thing.:o

Well Wonder Boy, Wonder no longer. Where do you live?

P.S. You DON'T know me. Careful or I will sic Gloria Allred on you.

makana.gabriel - 12-3-2009 at 11:41 AM

We went there yesterday. What a great find!! For those not real familiar with Rosarito like myself, the hotel is now called Hotel Del Sol and directly across from El Nido and El Gerente is up the street behind the hotel on the one way going towards the water. We have also found another fish taco place we enjoy called Mariscos El Poder across the street from La Flor de Michoacan. For you locals living there, any better recommendations for fish tacos?

JRs Fish Tacos

Gypsy Jan - 12-3-2009 at 12:42 PM

JRs Fish Tacos and Tijuana Jrs (no relation) are on the main road (Benito Juarez Blvd. which is also the Carreterra Libre)

Both are located on the west (ocean) side. Go south past the entrance to the Rosarito Beach Hotel, over the bridge, passing a Pemex station on the left. JRs Fish Tacos is about one-half mile farther down on the right.

Tijuana Jrs is located approximately one-to-two miles farther south on the same road, also on the right side.

Ther are easy to spot, goth have good signage.

The food is good at both of them, but we tend to go to Jrs Fish Tacos more frequently.

The Gull - 12-3-2009 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by makana.gabriel
We went there yesterday. What a great find!! For those not real familiar with Rosarito like myself, the hotel is now called Hotel Del Sol and directly across from El Nido and El Gerente is up the street behind the hotel on the one way going towards the water. We have also found another fish taco place we enjoy called Mariscos El Poder across the street from La Flor de Michoacan. For you locals living there, any better recommendations for fish tacos?

The mecca for fish tacos is Mariscos Alegria in Cantamar (Primo Tapia) nine miles south of Playas de Rosarito on the old road. It across the street from the Pemex in Cantamar and about two blocks further south next to a llantera and a window/screen shop.

Flor and her daughters really make awesome pish tacos.

Gull, You Are Right About Mariscos Alegria

Gypsy Jan - 12-3-2009 at 01:24 PM

In fact, one day when we stopped in, we saw Hugo the cook formerly from Tacos Yaqui and now with El Gerente, eating at Mariscos Alegria on his only day off.

I asked him, "You drive all the way from Rosarito to eat here?"

He replied, "Yes, she makes the best fish soup."

Gloria Is Busy Right Now

Bajahowodd - 12-3-2009 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Well Wonder Boy, Wonder no longer. Where do you live?

P.S. You DON'T know me. Careful or I will sic Gloria Allred on you.

She's flacking for one of Tiger's mistresses.:P