BajaNomad

Rooster Day!

Beachgirl - 12-6-2009 at 01:31 PM

Amazing, calm day on the water. Caught my first rooster, and baby, it was over forty pounds. Took me a looong time to bring this in. Mulegemichael had to hold it for the photo op (too big for me) before we slipped him back into the water once more.

PC050093-1.JPG - 50kB

mulegejim - 12-6-2009 at 01:33 PM

Nice!!!

bajabass - 12-6-2009 at 03:56 PM

Beautiful fish! Way to go!! Looks like a nice panga also:P

Beachgirl - 12-6-2009 at 04:46 PM

Yep, great fish. Mateo is our pro fishing guide here in Mulege. He always knows the spots. Highly recommend hiring him if you get to Mulege.

Paulina - 12-6-2009 at 05:37 PM

That was a beautiful fish, and still is since you let it go. What were you using for bait? I've only caught one and that was using a Ladyfish.

Wow. I want a turn!

P<*)))>{

mulegemichael - 12-7-2009 at 07:52 AM

...this beauty was caught on a purple mirrolure....the downside to the experience is that i asked mateo to hold it up so i could get a photo before releasing it...he reached down to gill it, the brute flopped and drove the front hook of the lure up to the bend in the meaty portion of his thumb..bad part of this is, the back hook was still in the mouth of a very angry pez gallo...mateo looked at the situation and calmly said,"just rip it out". i already had the needlenose in my hand, got a good grip on the hook, braced myself, and ripped it out...i still flinch when i think of it..mateo then just wrapped an old, oily rag around his hand and said, "get the gear back out"...in a few minutes i had the fish revived, and released it then we were fishing once more...one tough hombre, folks

Beachgirl - 12-7-2009 at 07:52 AM

Paulina I used a purple Mirrorlure

Beachgirl - 12-7-2009 at 07:55 AM

....ok, Mike got a jump on my one liner with the story of Mateo. Brave man. The rest of the deal is that we then hit a pile of cabrillo and proceeded to get double hook-ups. Big fat ones. Yum.

bajabass - 12-7-2009 at 08:45 AM

Great fight and great food! Ouch on the hook. A good reason to pinch the barbs down.:no:

Iflyfish - 12-7-2009 at 09:05 AM

Wow, great fish!
Here is a technique for removing fish hooks using fishing line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg&feature=relat...

I carry a large hypodermic needle in my gear. Once had one removed by an ER doc, fisherman using this method. Method: place sharp end of hollow needle over barb of hook, push a bit deeper and back it out. Works.

http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse1017.htm

Iflyfish

mulegemichael - 12-7-2009 at 09:35 AM

yeah, i've used the "line" technique all too many times...problem was this time, as i mentioned ,the lure was still in the mouth of a very much alive grande pez gallo and i was afraid he was gonna start thrashing around doing a whole lot more damage...we really needed to expedite the process

Santiago - 12-7-2009 at 09:49 AM

Get one of these 12" bolt cutters @ Harbor Freight for $5.99. I keep this on the boat and have used it when a treble went into my buddies thumb with a yellowtail on the other end flopping around. Cut the hook off from the lure and then popped it out using the line technique. Poured some beer into the wound and fished on.

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by Santiago]

bolt.gif - 11kB

bajabass - 12-7-2009 at 12:01 PM

Hey, a good, logical reason to carry some tequila on the boat! Medicinal purposes!!:light:

acadist - 12-7-2009 at 09:07 PM

You really made my 8 yo night with that tall tale!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Mike & Roz,

Here's what happened to me with a rooster - pez gallo - a few years back. Honest...:rolleyes:

Getting out of bed at the crack of noon, I heard, then spotted a monstrous fish boil happening just 50-60 yards from the shoreline. I rushed down to my sea wall, grabbed my surfrod from it's pole holder, and chucked a 4 oz. crocodile with treble barbed hooks into the frenzy of feeding roosters.

It was all going great until suddenly the crazy hooked-rooster rushed me on the sea wall and threw himself up, smacking me hard in the stomach!

I was impaled by all 3 hooks deep into my lower abdomen and could do nothing to get them out or release the poor rooster...which had now gone limp..thank Zues.

There was nothing left to do..but tune him and play him like a guitar.

This is a trew story of course. :spingrin:

Cardon Man - 12-8-2009 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
...he reached down to gill it...

why is it that so many anglers and panga captains insist on gill grippin' roosters? i mean if you're gonna kill it that's one thing...but don't kid yourself, hoisting a 40lb fish into a boat by it's gills is not a particularly good release method.