BajaNomad

Trading the 2005 for a 2010 Tacoma! (Photos added)

David K - 12-7-2009 at 10:59 AM

I am almost as surprised as you...

As some of you know, I was encouraged to get a 4WD Toyota Tacoma by several Baja amigos back in 2000: Neal Johns, Bajaboy, 4baja, etc. etc. It seemed like it was the far and away #1 Baja light truck of choice!

Since the truck is used primarily of business, and lacking piles of money... I lease my trucks. The 2001 2 door xtra cab Tacoma was obtained in November of 2000... I had it until August 2005, put 136,000 some miles on it... and it was nearly flawless with no breakdowns and only a water pump replaced at 90,000 miles when a drip was noticed during routene service. There was no question that I was going to get another Tacoma... No mileage penalty with Toyota leases at my Totota dealer, when trading for another!

The 2005 Tacoma is bigger than the previous years... almost the size of the old Tundra and I went with a four door so my growing kids and other adults could comfortably ride in the back... The truck bed on the 4 door is a foot shorter, but the bigger '05 truck's bed is wider and deeper and so fits the same amount of cargo as the 2001's 6 ft. bed.

From August '05 to December 2009 I put 102,000 miles on it, while it never broke down and is very comfortatble to drive, it wasn't as perfect as my '01:

The first set of brakes made an intermittent clicking noise at 8,000 miles that ended when new pads were installed, a few thousand miles later... and never made noise again. The only 'failure' was the wiring harness (behind the dash) that had to be replaced when the air bag warning light came on... for no good reason. The mud flaps also tore off from the weight of Laguna Salada mud!

The only modification the truck needed was in the rear suspension, which was too soft and bottomed-out when there was a load in the back, driven at 'my' speed over bumps. I had off road warehouse install Ride-Rite Air Springs ('air bags') that could be adjusted to increase rear height and firmness... worked like a charm. The stock Bilstein shocks were upgraded to Bilstein 5100s as well.

Since there is less than a year on my lease, and my Toyota dealer was inviting us Tacoma owners to come in for possible upgrading, we went last night and I now have a 2010 Tacoma with just 10 miles on the odometer! It is pretty much identicle to my '05... a silver, 4 door TRD 4WD...only with some new stuff... like a back up camera with a screen that appears in you rear view mirror... fancy stereo (JVC) with satellite radio... some ABS off road button and enhanced traction device I still need to read up on... Still have the locking rear differential (for Mision Santa Maria)!

I am picking up the new truck today, that's why I don't have the full details on the gizmos yet. I had to keep my truck last night so I could remove the Hella lights and wiring harness/ switch. They are removing the light bar and air bags today...

Sweet deal is that Toyota is exchanging the '05 with 102,000 miles for the '10 with no money down and only $20/ mo. more on my lease... That is the only way I could afford it, at this time of year!

So, I am back to BFG Rugged Trail tires (same that came on my '05) that lasted 25,000 miles...

The tires on my '05 now are the Cooper Discoverer ATRs purchased in November 2008 and have 16,000 miles on them. They appear to be just over half worn... so I put them at 30,000 miles... The same life my Toyos gave me... The Cooper Discoverer STTs gave 35-40,000 miles (the second set on my truck), but were too noisey with that aggressive tread... but looked cool!:lol:

So, starting over with my third new Tacoma today... as always, I will share with you the good and the bad so you can make an informed choice in light trucks, when your time has come! I posting this also to finalize the tire wear report.

See you on the highway!

PS u2u me if you would like my salesman's name/ number... he has been great for all 3 of my Tacomas and Baja Angel's new Corolla!

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by David K]

El Camote - 12-7-2009 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Sweet deal is that Toyota is exchanging the '05 with 102,000 miles for the '10 with no money down and only $20/ mo. more on my lease... That is the only way I could afford it, at this time of year!

Sounds like a good deal, David, but I'm curious what your new monthly for insurance and registration breaks down to. California just majorly upped registration.

BAJACAT - 12-7-2009 at 11:09 AM

Great David now you should be set for the Santa Maria or Matomi trip, I want so much to get me the new Power Wagon but work is low for me right now I have a few payments left on the ram and then will be a diferent story. Enjoy your TACO....TOYOTA RULES RIGHT AFTER DODGE JAJJA

BajaGeoff - 12-7-2009 at 11:54 AM

Nice DK!

With only 10 miles on it, that new Taco smell should last a long time!

dtbushpilot - 12-7-2009 at 03:01 PM

Congratulations DK, hope you enjoy many Baja adventures in your new truck....dt

David K - 12-7-2009 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Quote:

Sounds like a good deal, David, but I'm curious what your new monthly for insurance and registration breaks down to. California just majorly upped registration.

Hi Mike,

It keeps getting sweeter and sweeter... first off, the new registration and paperwork costs are in the lease payment, so no money 'extra' until a year from now when I renew the truck's registration (the '05 was about $250 last August). I just called my insurance agent to give them the news... my insurance increased $8.00 every 6 months... ie. about $1.34/ month... State Farm.

David

David K - 12-7-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Great David now you should be set for the Santa Maria or Matomi trip, I want so much to get me the new Power Wagon but work is low for me right now I have a few payments left on the ram and then will be a diferent story. Enjoy your TACO....TOYOTA RULES RIGHT AFTER DODGE JAJJA

Just as soon as the economy allows for growth so we in the outdoor construction or home improvemnet business can get bact to work... then the truck needs a good Baja break-in!

If you recall, my '05 went to Baja the very day I got it! Was four wheeling on the beach and arroyo near El Rosario the next day!

The next month, we went from the beach at Cielito Lindo to Mikes Sky Rancho and on to San Felipoe and Shell Island Photos: http://vivabaja.com/905

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by David K]

David K - 12-7-2009 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Nice DK!

With only 10 miles on it, that new Taco smell should last a long time!

Yah... it's great... no smokers in the new truck to keep it that way!

David K - 12-7-2009 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Congratulations DK, hope you enjoy many Baja adventures in your new truck....dt

Thanks David!

Let's all pray for some real change to this economy to get America working again... I need some trickle down!

Not much irrigation requests with this rain, either! That's trickle-on!

[Edited on 12-29-2009 by David K]

Bajaboy - 12-7-2009 at 03:35 PM

Good deal DK. I'll be getting a new truck in late summer with another baby on the way. The access cab has been perfect for our family of three but will be a bit tight with another baby. I will probably get the double cab but am also going to look at the FJs as well.

zac

David K - 12-7-2009 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Good deal DK. I'll be getting a new truck in late summer with another baby on the way. The access cab has been perfect for our family of three but will be a bit tight with another baby. I will probably get the double cab but am also going to look at the FJs as well.

zac

Yah, they are great... The bed offers cargo hauling if you ever need that, otherwise the FJ or 4Runner gives you nice clean interior for gear and people. The 4 door Tacoma has very comfortable full size back seats with the '05 or newer models.

mtgoat666 - 12-7-2009 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

zac

4runner beats FJ. FJ is kind of a juvenile design, sort of a faux offroad sheetmetal and dashboard design, and is hard to get in/out of backseat of FJ relative to 4runner. better luggage room in 4runner. guts of machines are about the same.

DianaT - 12-7-2009 at 04:04 PM

Thought about trading for a 2010 Tacoma, but the mileage is TERRIBLE. So we keep the Tundra for another year or so (it is paid for) and then if Toyota gets there act together we will look at the Tacoma. They can improve the mileage, if they want----and with the competition breathing down their necks, we hope they do.

tripledigitken - 12-7-2009 at 04:05 PM

If it matters, Zac, I read recently that the FJ was on Toyota's short list of being discontinued. They didn't state a reason, see lots of them so I would question poor sales being the cause.

David K - 12-7-2009 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Thought about trading for a 2010 Tacoma, but the mileage is TERRIBLE. So we keep the Tundra for another year or so (it is paid for) and then if Toyota gets there act together we will look at the Tacoma. They can improve the mileage, if they want----and with the competition breathing down their necks, we hope they do.

My '05 got 16-19 mpg city/ hwy. driving the way I do (which isn't slow)... for a heavy/ strong truck with a 4.0 V-6/ automatic, is that really so terrible? If you drove more conservativly than I, I am sure the numbers would be better. Also, there is an optional TRD cold air intake system... supposed to improve things? The motor has way enough power... I will start watching my consumption close, after the 1,000 mile break-in period... and let you know.

Bajahowodd - 12-7-2009 at 04:18 PM

I have to chime in with goat on this. FJs seemed by and large to be driving around town show off vehicles. I really don't think they have the engineering necessary for heavy duty. And they have terrible driver visibility issues. Apologies to any FJ owners out there.

David K - 12-7-2009 at 04:20 PM

Udowinkler will chime in when he sees this, me thinks!:O

DianaT - 12-7-2009 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

My '05 got 16-19 mpg city/ hwy. driving the way I do (which isn't slow)... for a heavy/ strong truck with a 4.0 V-6/ automatic, is that really so terrible? If you drove more conservativly than I, I am sure the numbers would be better. Also, there is an optional TRD cold air intake system... supposed to improve things? The motor has way enough power... I will start watching my consumption close, after the 1,000 mile break-in period... and let you know.

The stated, MPG which is always optimal was 16/20 and that way too low---they will need to do way better than that, and we believe the competition will force the issue. Our old Tundra without the camper gets close to the same mileage.

We also looked at the Rav and decided against it for the same reason. The Chevy similar to the RAV has a far superior MPG rating for 2010----not that we would buy a Chevy, but we believe it will force Toyota to do what they can and improve the MPG.

If they don't we move on to another make----Toyota are not perfect as ours has demonstrated as of late. And there have been some major issues in the last few years with both the Tundras and Tacomas-----used to trust them totally, not so much anymore.

[Edited on 12-7-2009 by DianaT]

capt. mike - 12-7-2009 at 04:36 PM

whaaaat??!!
you didn't buy an American Chevy Sierra from O'Bama??:!::light:

hey - my Ford Explorer gets 20 mpg all day long city HW combined.

Can he text while driving around town?

Bajahowodd - 12-7-2009 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Udowinkler will chime in when he sees this, me thinks!:O

Bajahowodd - 12-7-2009 at 05:06 PM

Oh, the irony of a global economy. The Tundra is built in both Indiana and Texas. The Sierra/ Silverado is built in Canada, Mexico and the US. The Ford is built in the US. It kinda boils down to whether you want US jobs at the expense of profits going overseas, or foreign jobs with the profits staying here.

David K - 12-7-2009 at 06:14 PM

My new Tacoma is assembled in TIJUANA, BAJA CALIFORNIA! It will be like going home when we take it south!

Crusoe - 12-7-2009 at 06:22 PM

In defense of the new FJ's..... I have two friends that own them and really love them. They drive them fast alot on dirt logging roads here on the Olympic Penn., and do not take that good care of their equipment, and they seem to be holding up fine. One friend tows a small house trailer with his and claims it so much better on the hi-way than any of the older models that it makes him quite happy. Just a little pricey. ++C++

rts551 - 12-7-2009 at 06:28 PM

oh oh... you purchased knowing the jobs were foreign and the profits were foreign as well????? What happened to all your right wing rhetoric we hear periodically.

BAJACAT - 12-7-2009 at 08:06 PM

gUYS I need help trying to convince my wife that I need a new truck (POWER WAGON THAT IT'S),MY 04 is almost paid off.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by BAJACAT]

dtbushpilot - 12-7-2009 at 09:13 PM

I like my FJ....don't love it, just like it....dt

Mexitron - 12-7-2009 at 09:30 PM

We got our new 4Door Tacoma in May and put it through its paces in our July/August trip---really a pleasure to drive, good all around performance, just bent the trailer plug driving around north of San Roque (that darned road into Bahia San Pablo---the old road had washed out so lots of ledges to cross over....). We replaced the dealer tires with Goodrich ATs and didn't have any problems in that department either...

...can't wait to get down there again! See you there sometime DK--congrats on the truck!

BajaGringo - 12-7-2009 at 09:45 PM

New truck and NO Photos???

wessongroup - 12-8-2009 at 06:47 AM

Guess I've just been lucky with cars, be they foreign or domestic.. use to buy only domestic until I started working for folks that give me a car as part of the job.

And in every case they were American.. Doge pickup 189,000 miles, never missed a lick.. Doge pickup 245,000 not a miss.. Peugeot Diesel 389,000, totaled it in a head on, but bought back as I had just put a new engine in it (got 34 HWY and I used it to cut wood with a trailer, driving on fire roads too).. Cad 60 Special 324,000 and right now a Ford Crown Vic, which the Agency in San Diego begged me to please get off their lot (was a trade in on a MB).

Remember waiting in the lounge for them to bring it around, all the others were talking about their S car or what else.. then some one asked me what kind of MB I was getting serviced.... I told them I drove a Ford.. you could see the people moving away from me... it was like I was a really an "untouchable" ... reminds me of India.. what a cast system we have going..

Keep hearing what crap cars America makes.. guess I have just been lucky... the Ford gets 27 on the Highway at 70-80 with the air on and the trunk full.. the Cad got 26 HWY, Drove a Ford Explorer too, just remembered, put 187,000 on that one, not a one problem. Take that back, a pin in the trans shared off and when I went out to get into it for the morning drive.. it was out in the middle of the street... had just left in park in the drive way.. with out the emergency brake on... Ford fixed with no charge.. it got 23 HWY. The Doges were 18-19 HWY all day long.

The only car that was really a big pain in the butt... An MGA Twin overhead cam that they made for a few years.. it was just a bad engine design, you could adjust the valves daily (with shims) and it would still get out of time and the SU down draft carbs were also impossible to keep turned in...

Never thought of it till right now, guess I have been "lucky" with cars.. I heard such horror stories..

But, then the car my Dad had was a 1937 Chevy, and a 1939 Plymouth and he had one each in the backyard for parts.. yeah, we just loved it while growing up, to invite friends over to OUR house.. My old man always said "if they don't like the view, look the other way", the Chevy ran for ever, the Plymouth.. had terrible vapor lock problems..can remember having to pulling off and set in the desert when going up or coming back from fishing in the Sierras way back in the late 40's and during the 50's when very young.. finally replaced with a Pontiac Station wagon.. in the 1958.. it was used of course, he never bought ANYTHING new..

And congratulations on the new truck, they are nice looking and very handy for a family man, with lots of traveling to do...

Well just close with this.. THEY ARE JUST CARS... I don't have any love affair with them at all.. they are just tools and we know how arguments about tools gets.. ............. and that's the way it is.. Tue Dec 8 2009 Good day...:):)

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by wessongroup]

k-rico - 12-8-2009 at 07:48 AM

Glad to hear folks are buying new vehicles. Keep buying nomads, the American economy and the owners of publically held companies will benefit.

Try to buy American when you can though (or vehicles assembled in Mex). That has the biggest impact on my wallet.

Buy, buy, buy.

Please and thank you.

Steve in Oro Valley - 12-8-2009 at 08:01 AM

Congratulations DK!

Our (new to us) 2008 Toyota 4runner SR5 4X4 with the 4.0 V6 automatic which we just bought 4 months ago was made in Japan...

We averaged 24.5 mpg round trip (700 plus miles) Oro Valley to South Rim of Grand Canyon. City mpg has been 19.0....

4runner drives smoother and quieter than our 1998 Avalon which averages 30 mpg on the highway...

Still have the 1999 Jeep CHEROKEE 4X4 which has been a real money pit (the electrical --windows and doors and locks)...

The Jeep rides hard on all roads but I like it still. Jeep gets 20 plus mpg on the highway with the 4.0 in line 6 after 217000 miles....

Steve in Oro Valley

David K - 12-8-2009 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
oh oh... you purchased knowing the jobs were foreign and the profits were foreign as well????? What happened to all your right wing rhetoric we hear periodically.

Is this as nice as you can be? Seriously, no rhetoric... just facts for balance.

There are tons of American jobs created by us who purchase non- U.S. brand vehicles... which have many parts if not whole cars made in other companies (Jeeps not only come from Toledo but also are made in Canada, are they not?)

I have owned a Jeep and a Plymouth... as well as Subaru, Mitsubishi, Mazda, VW and Toyota... with no close rivals, the two poorest made/ low quality cars were the Jeep and the Plymouth!

I really would love to have American companies build the vehicles I want to buy with the quality they should have. It is GOOD to read the success other Nomads are having with their Dodges and Fords, etc.

My (conservative) dad taught me that buying the best product at the best price WAS the American thing to do. He owned Chevy's, Fords and Jeeps... Had issues with his '70 Jeep Wagoneer and '72 Chevy 'Burb. The '73 Ford wagon was great as was the '65 Jeep Wagoneer.

If not for free enterprise competition, there is no incentive to produce a better product at a better price.

So, I have given the American car companies two chances and both times (1975 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager) were terrible. *The Jeep was a joy when it wasn't in the shop, I must say... and I am still very fond of Jeeps and would consider them again some day, when I can afford to keep them running. We considered the Commander recently.

Live long and prosper... :light:

David K - 12-8-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
New truck and NO Photos???

It was pouring rain all day, yesterday! Maybe today, I will take some and post?

It really looks just like my '05... only with no stickers ("steekers") on the back or light bar on the front (yet)!

Taco de Baja - 12-8-2009 at 08:42 AM

Congrats David,

We just did our part for the global economy and bought a new Scion (Toyota) for my wife to replace her 8 year old Rav4 with 56,000 on the odo. She'd been bugging me for a year and I finally relented. :saint:

Great little car, but it will not be going anywhere near Baja.....:biggrin:

KurtG - 12-8-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
whaaaat??!!
you didn't buy an American Chevy Sierra from O'Bama??:!::light:

hey - my Ford Explorer gets 20 mpg all day long city HW combined.

Remarkably, our 2000 Explorer w/4.0 SOHC engine gets that as well. Just did a round trip to Phoenix from Pismo Beach and got 21mpg over all cruising at 70-75. At 202,000 miles there have been no engine repairs and it runs perfectly. Just did some front suspension work but that has been all. Never so much as an alternator, starter, or water pump in all those miles, can't imagine a more dependable vehicle.

PHOTOS 12-8-09

David K - 12-8-2009 at 04:10 PM

The rain stopped today, even a bit of sunshine... Here is my new baby:

The 110 volt outlet is nice!

and the sun came out from behind the cloud:

TMW - 12-8-2009 at 04:43 PM

The Tacoma has an AC outlet near the tailgate. It's rated at 100 watts /400 watts with a button next to the steering column. For last years Christmas Parade we used the truck to pull the float. It was lit up with Christmas lights, a DVD player and a TV set. All worked OK in the garage when setup. During the parade we found out that when it is set for 400 watts the truck changes to 100 watts when it is put into gear. As you can guess we had no lights or TV playing during the parade. This year we rented a generator, no problem.

Bajahowodd - 12-8-2009 at 04:56 PM

Great looking Mexican ride.:yes:

Taco de Baja - 12-8-2009 at 05:28 PM

Nice truck. BUT....I see there is still a switch on the dash for the t-case.....:(
At least the FJ still has a manual option.

I would consider buying a new Taco if they went back to a manual t-case, but as it is now, it's not an upgrade from my current 1996 Taco, whose 14th b-day is just around the corner in January!...Especially at the current price of $25-30,000+. Ouch!

There are after-market options to have a manual t-case put in, but the one I saw was over $2,500, labor not included....Someday, after I win the lottery maybe ;D

David K - 12-8-2009 at 05:39 PM

Everything is electronic shifting... I had my '05 for 102,000 miles and it NEVER had a problem going into 4Hi or 4Lo with that dial... clunks right in. The locking rear differential is the same... This '10 model now also has Automatic Limited Slip differential that can be dis-engaged if you need the tires to spin to get unstuck, through rocking the truck... a nice touch!

Cyanide41 - 12-9-2009 at 08:52 AM

Nice truck David. I see you got it at Carlsbad where I vowed not to shop after a sales manager literally told me I was dumb for thinking I could get a tundra at my desired price. Which I later did get in Escondido for that same price. Truth be told, I would still shop there if they could deal. Business is business. IMO it's hard to go wrong with a toyota truck. Next time David, don't wait so long to post up pics!

David K - 12-9-2009 at 09:06 AM

All 4 of my dealings with Toyota Carlsbad have been outstanding and easy, so your experience is unusual, but sad none-the-less. Always go to Fleet Sales (Mr. Joy is the manager there) to buy or lease a car...

Before I got my first Tacoma in 2000, I went to the Ford dealer in Encinitas to give the Ford Ranger a fair shot at my business... They gave me the "sell your van first, then come see us" line... Went to Toyota Carlsbad next, and drove home in my new Tacoma that night... Mr. Joy was there then and now, and always makes it easy and painless.

BajaGeoff - 12-9-2009 at 01:55 PM

Great looking truck DK!

I have new 'Yota envy!

capt. mike - 12-9-2009 at 03:47 PM

"Mr. Joy was there then and now, and always makes it easy and painless."

Man - they'll really bend over backwards these days to make a deal.:lol::lol::lol::saint:

wessongroup - 12-11-2009 at 07:09 AM

Wow, just looked at the new pictures of your truck.. now that IS a nice looking truck... and I really like the room you get with that cab too... enjoy your new ride.. a new car is like a "tonic" ....

Just kinda picks you up a notch or two... taking off in a "new" car..

One can't argue with your Dad... he was on point.. seems you listened to the old man pretty well.. your a good Son

:):):):)

David K - 12-11-2009 at 10:17 AM

Gee, thanks...really nice thing to say!

I have been posting on the Tacoma World Forum to learn more about the traction features added since my 2005 Tacoma was mde... I am still reading and learning how they work. Here is a summary what someone there posted about the New Toyota Systems:

VSC:

One of the new devices is VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) created by Bosch: See and hear how it works: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/206114/689691

The normal problem with pickups on slippery roads, fish-tailing on a fast turn has been eliminated with VSC. VSC can be turned off in off road conditions where tire spinning is desired to get un stuck by 'rocking' the vehicle.

TRAC: Limited Slip Differential (LSD) system for 2WD, or 4WD Hi Range (normal paved and dirt road driving).

AUTO LSD (in 2WD only): By pushing the VSC button, normal TRAC (LSD) turns off and becomes 'AUTO LSD' that works harder on slipping wheels to quickly get you 'un stuck' when a tire looses traction, in 2WD.

4WD Hi Range (4-Hi): AUTO LSD goes off, VSC and TRAC are on.

4WD Low Range (4-Lo): Turns off TRAC and VSC.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control): Offers TRAC (LSD) when in low range 4WD. Seems to be a new feature that previous model owners had to cut a wire to have.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERNTIAL (in 4-Lo only): Power goes equally to both rear wheels.

LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL + A-TRAC (in 4-Lo only): Power to both rear wheels and power to front wheel(s) with traction.

With A-Trac and the rear differential locked, you could have only ONE tire on firm ground and it will pull the vehicle out any mud, snow, sand situation.

The ULTIMATE in 4WD control! I am even more impressed with features that the dealer didn't explain or that I understood at the time, easily.

If I find newer or better details on how to explain the drive features, I will add them.

Neal Johns - 12-11-2009 at 01:50 PM

DK, put it in the washer with extra hot water and shrink it to the size of the old Tacoma and I will buy one!:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 12-11-2009 at 01:57 PM

Neal.... it's half your fault I even got started with going to Toyota!:bounce::biggrin:
THANK YOU!

David K - 12-29-2009 at 12:12 PM

Here is wht I posted over on Tacoma World forums about yesterday's trials at Ocotillo Wells:

Okay, I finally took the new 2010 4 door Tacoma TRD 4WD OFF ROAD to the desert today (Ocotillo Wells) to try the new traction controls and 4WD in the sand and on hill climbs.

First off, the truck suspension feels much improved over my 2005, which was very soft and bottomed out with a load in the back. I added Ride Rite air springs to my 2005 to stop that problem. So, off the bat... a better feel off road, at speed.

Steep hill climb attempt... a silt covered 'dry mud' hill with some rock that steadily got steeper.

I made two runs in 2WD. First at normal settings and then with TRAC off/Auto LSD on. Neither got very far up as traction was lost in the silty dirt as soon as it got 'steep'.

So, since TRAC Off/ AUTO LSD are only features that improve 2WD performance, and are way weak if 4WD is available... let's see how many 4WD modes the Tacoma has:

1) In 4-Hi, very impressive climb up the hill... You can tell there is a difference with these limited slip differentials over the '05 with open differentials. You cannot turn TRAC or VSC off in 4 Hi... not that you would want or need to... but I tried pushing the button different ways (in Neutral, drive, etc.) with no change.* All wheels with tracion pulling.

2) In 4-Lo (no TRAC or Auto LSD), lots of low end power, as with the '05... but did not climb as far up the hill as in 4-Hi ... Not impressive in this application. 1 front and 1 rear tire getting power.

3) In 4-Lo with A-TRAC engaged.... WOW, way up the hill to the same approx. place as 4-Hi. As we have read, ATRAC is giving you Limited Slip Differntial action front and rear. All wheels with traction pulling.

4) In 4-Lo with REAR DIFF. LOCKED... Not as far up... I was surprised... But it was likely due to the loose dirt and the torque of 4-Lo digging... 2 rear wheels and 1 front wheel with traction pulling.

5) In 4-Lo with REAR DIFF. LOCKED AND ATRAC... Reached the high point of the hill climb. The limited slip front differential (and locked rear differential) gave the Tacoma all the climbing ability it could have... Rear 2 wheels pulling and front 2 wheels with traction pulling.

In the sand department, 4 Hi did all the driving... after trying 2 Hi normal and with TRAC OFF/ AUTO LSD ON.

Today was a quick run, as I just had to try out the new truck in the dirt. Next weekend we take it to BAJA where we will drive it on the 'bottomless' sand beaches of San Felipe that usually require tires aired down to 10-15 psi for floatation, in 4WD.

The A-TRAC button was a very important addition... for those that need the most traction while in 4-Lo. I see why the excitement about cutting the wire for the pre '09 Tacomas that didn't have the A-TRAC button, but did have TRAC/ AUTO LSD.

I was MOST impressed with the 4-Hi, standard TRAC mode... it was amazing all alone. 4-Lo with ATRAC may only be needed for very rocky, steep grades or extra torque in mud/ snow stuck situations...? The locking rear differential may not be so mandatory as it used to be before TRAC (Limited Slip Differentials).

More testing to come!

* Today, I was able to turn the VSC off in 4-Hi (which also turns off TRAC and AUTO LSD). In 4-Lo, the VSC goes off automatically. A-TRAC gives you back the LSD in low range.

[Edited on 12-29-2009 by David K]

Packoderm - 12-29-2009 at 12:16 PM

Now we just need to see one of these put on the back of it:

David K - 12-29-2009 at 04:28 PM

My tent is bigger and weighs a whole lot less! I also don't have anyplace to store the camper shell for the majority of the time my truck bed is used daily for my jobs.

chernefitter - 12-29-2009 at 06:04 PM

u want trickle down so u can get back to work huh....buy an american product next time maybe......

David K - 12-29-2009 at 06:26 PM

I bought a Baja product... you should too... this is a Baja forum afterall!:lol:

TRACTION CHOICES ON THE TACOMA

David K - 12-29-2009 at 06:28 PM

So, the Tacoma has tons of versatility and drive choices.

Understanding of Terminology:

a) VSC: Vehicle Stability Control was develpoed by Bosch and uses sensors to apply brakes to wheels to keep the truck moving safely if it should go into a skid.

b) TRAC: Traction Control normally on in 2WD uses both brakes and cuts power as needed to create a limited slip differential action by braking spinning wheels and directing power to wheels with traction. In 4WD (H4), engine output is not regulated.

c) AUTO LSD (2WD Only): If TRAC is turned off in 2WD, AUTO LSD turns on and forces power to the wheel with traction by braking the spinning wheel. NO power is cut in AUTO LSD. AUTO LSD (TRAC Off only) cannot be activated in 4WD. (TRAC works the same as AUTO LSD in H4 on all 4 wheels. A-TRAC works the same as AUTO LSD in L4 on all 4 wheels).

d) A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) works only in L4 (Low Range 4WD)... works like AUTO LSD, but on all 4 wheels.

e) RR DIFF LOCK (Rear Differential Lock) works only in L4 on 4WD Tacomas. VSC and TRAC are both off when the rear differential is locked.

---------------------------------------------------------
Now, the various options of driving systems using the above 5 traction controls:

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC normally active.

2) 2WD: Quick push of switch (car with wavy skid lines) turns off 'TRAC' and 'VSC', and turns on 'AUTO LSD'. Gives maximum power to tire with traction by braking spinning tire without cutting power.

3) 2WD: 5 second push of switch turns off all three (VSC, TRAC, AUTO LSD) for free spinning of tires. VSC will reactivate if driving over 30 MPH. This is for getting out of snow, mud, sand if spinning the tires or rocking the truck can help.

4) 4WD-Hi (H4): VSC and TRAC are both on. No engine power is cut in TRAC while in H4.

5) 4WD-Hi: 5 scond push of button (while stopped) turns off VSC and TRAC. This allows spinning of tires if needed.

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off.

7) 4WD-Lo: Push of A-TRAC button (by Cig. lighter) activates A-TRAC and forces power to the wheel with traction by braking the spinning wheel. NO power is cut in A-TRAC (just like how AUTO LSD works in 2WD).

8) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK gives equal power to both back wheels and power to either one of the front wheels (open front differential).

9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK and A-TRAC activated would make the front differential limited slip by braking a spinning tire and forcing power to the tire with traction.

[Edited on 12-30-2009 by David K]

wessongroup - 12-30-2009 at 07:21 AM

You are having a blast with the new one.. good for you.. nice to hear some fun stuff... just don't get any scratches in that "pretty" thing...:):)

forgot to ask, has the wife gotten a chance to sit in the drivers seat yet !!!

[Edited on 12-30-2009 by wessongroup]

Steve in Oro Valley - 12-30-2009 at 08:00 AM

Hi David;

I do not see a center differential lock button on your left dash..

Our 2008 4runner has multimode 4 wheel drive but the regurlar SR5 does not come with a rear differential lock button..

The 4runner manual does refer to Active traction control and this is deactivated when one pushes the center diff lock button. By pushing the LSD OFF button VSC and autoLSD are turned off.

The best 4X4 action on this 4runner model are in 4LO with the center diff locked and NO computerized control of brakes or engine (as I understand it) both front and rear diffs are open .

One should also deactivate the rear side curtain airbag (RSCA) if the vehicle is on a steep slope...

Steve in Oro Valley

David K - 12-30-2009 at 09:56 AM

Hi Steve... there is so much terminology in this, and the manual is not very complete on the options.

The Tacomas have no center differential to turn on or off (which usually is only in full time four wheel drive systems)... I had that in my Jeep with Quadra Trac.

TRAC is the system that is like or better than limited slip differentials.

In 4WD High Range = brake created limited slip front and rear (same as Auto LDS in 2WD or A-TRAC in 4WD Low Range). By pressing and holding for 5 seconds the VSC Off switch you can turn off the TRAC to allow spinning of all tires.

Originally, there was no A-TRAC (LSD) in 4WD Low, but after much requests or comments, it was added in 2009. Previous years' Tacoma models with TRAC had to cut a wire to get A-TRAC or limited slip action in 4-LOW.

There are many pages on this at Tacoma World Forums... It is fun figuring it all out.

I have edited my above list to show the correct operation of TRAC in H4.

For non-Tacoma folks... The 4 wheel drive system is Part Time with automatic locking hubs. With a turn of a dial at any speed up to 55 MPH you can go into 4WD High and hubs lock at the same time. To change to 4-LOW RANGE for steep crawling or max.torque pulling, you stop and put the truck into Neutral and turn the dial from H4 to L4. It works like a breeze and is the same as my 2005 Tacoma. Locking Rear Differential works only in L4 if selected... for loose, rocky conditions where you want power to both rear tires regardless of traction conditions.

What is new with this 2010 the addition of TRAC, A-TRAC, AUTO LSD... all are limited slip differential systems...

VSC works in 2WD and 4WD HIGH RANGE to keep you going where you want if the truck begins to skid. The Bosch system video explains it well.

TRAC in 2WD uses brakes and power reduction to move power to the wheel with traction. VSC and TRAC always work together.

AUTO LSD in 2WD uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction. A big help if you don't have 4WD to get out of a stuck situation.

TRAC in 4WD HIGH uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction.

A-TRAC in 4WD LOW uses brakes, but no power reduction for traction.

TMW - 12-30-2009 at 10:08 AM

DK doesn't the new Tacoma have an improved off road brake feature that improves the braking of the ABS when off road? Or do they just have a switch to turn off the ABS?

David K - 12-30-2009 at 12:41 PM

I don't have any special data collected on the ABS system... We all know that it is really only good on dry pavement and otherwise will not stop the truck as soon as without ABS. Itis disabled when the Rear Dif. islocked... Here are a couple of charts that explaing what works, when...

TMW - 12-30-2009 at 06:51 PM

Thanks, that must be what I read. I know my 07 ABS is not off when the rear diff is locked.

Hook - 12-30-2009 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
My tent is bigger and weighs a whole lot less! I also don't have anyplace to store the camper shell for the majority of the time my truck bed is used daily for my jobs.

Well, I can see why you're carrying a tent.

Maybe Billy Barty could sleep in that truck bed, but that's about it. :P

bonanza bucko - 12-30-2009 at 08:26 PM

For Capt. Mike:
I had TWO "Limited" 4X4 Ford Explorers. Both cost me $12/mile for repairs on "That Road" from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay....two 100 mile round trips and two $1200 repair bills. Number one was due to the entire instrument panel falling out and onto my feet. Number two was a $10 plastic gate in the heat/air system falling off....cost $1200 labor to get at it.

My 2004 Tundra 4X4 has been up and down "That Road" more than 20 times....NO, zilch, nada repair bills...not even a sqweek! It has 151K miles on it now and it is just super. I love it....15MPG city and 18MPG freeway.

The new Tundras don't seem to measure up on "That Road" with the older ones but they still beat the livin' pants offa any Deeeeetroit cast iron. I believe David about Tacoma...good truck. I'm gonna wait to see what Toyota comes up with in 2011 for improvements and mileage. In the mean time I love my truck...almost as much as you and I love our airplanes! :-)

BTW...it Obamachenko motors made a solid gold truck that got 200MPG and never failed I would never buy it.....even if my old boss is now CEO and Chairman of the board. I hope Gummint, Obama motors goes flat broke!.....again.

Udo - 12-30-2009 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
I don't have any special data collected on the ABS system... We all know that it is really only good on dry pavement and otherwise will not stop the truck as soon as without ABS. Itis disabled when the Rear Dif. islocked... Here are a couple of charts that explaing what works, when...

This looks identical to my 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I am guessing that Toyota figgered they got it right on the FJ drive train, and decided to use it in their current 4X4's. :bounce:
The FJ has not been available to purchase in '09, and I don't know if they will make any for '10. If they don't, looks like they will let Jeep keep the bobtails all to themselves.:(

David K - 12-30-2009 at 09:53 PM

I was at Toyota yesterday and confirmed they are still making FJs in 2010... and even picked up a 2010 FJ Cruiser brochure!

Packoderm - 12-30-2009 at 10:03 PM

Quote:

Due to your rhetoric, I assumed you were a land owner.

David K - 12-31-2009 at 08:37 AM

Rhetoric? No, I am a (poor, overtaxed) American trying to be responsible and living within my means. I rent a small home that serves us well.

I have no desire for a camper on my truck. We take about 4 camping trips a year and the rest of the time my truck is for work, so a camper is way more trouble than it is worth.

Hook, the 4 door Tacoma standard bed is 5 foot, but with the tail gate down it offers more than enough length if you want to sleep in the bed. We have a couple times, but a tent or under the stars on our air mattress is more comfortable. A long bed 4 door is available, but I don't need it and it wouldn't fit in my garage.

mtgoat666 - 1-13-2010 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
BTW...it Obamachenko motors made a solid gold truck that got 200MPG and never failed I would never buy it.....even if my old boss is now CEO and Chairman of the board. I hope Gummint, Obama motors goes flat broke!.....again.

sounds like you take the govt bailout of GM personally :lol: i think they have medicine for your affliction :lol:

obama admin stepped in to save a big US firm and save a US manufacturing sector, and if it works out well that will be swell.

yes we can!

mtgoat666 - 1-13-2010 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
I am a (poor, overtaxed) American... I rent a small home...

DK: home prices are low, credit is cheap, you should buy a house and take advantage of the tax deduction for mortgage interest :lol:

David K - 1-13-2010 at 04:59 PM

Nope, I want to live within my means... I don't let politicians (who twisted the arms of banks in '08) talk me into getting home loans I can't afford payments on. Nobody has a 'right' to be dependent on their neighbors' earnings for their home, food or healthcare.

Be responsible to take care of yourself.

tripledigitken - 1-13-2010 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna wait to see what Toyota comes up with in 2011 for improvements and mileage.

Bucko,

The sad thing is that overseas Toyota sells the Tacoma badged as the Hilux and it comes with a diesel option that gets a claimed 30mpg highway. That one I would buy in a heartbeat. Toyota has not announced that it is coming here however.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/163_news091208_2010_...

Ken

[Edited on 1-14-2010 by tripledigitken]

mtgoat666 - 1-13-2010 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
I'm gonna wait to see what Toyota comes up with in 2011 for improvements and mileage.

Bucko,

The sad thing is that overseas Toyota sells the Tacoma badged as the Hilux and it comes with a diesel option that gets a claimed 30mpg highway. That one I would buy in a heartbeat. Toyota has not announced that it is coming here however.

Ken

diesels are hard to design/sell in US market due to our clean air regs.... (blame it on libs? :lol: ) for whatever reason, auto makers won't sell many diesels here

norte - 1-13-2010 at 06:30 PM

Bucko do you bow down to the politicians (in Japan) that subsidize Toy ota every year?

and David. You need to get another job. geeze

David K - 1-13-2010 at 11:00 PM

my Tacoma is made in Baja California, Mexico... So it is very happy anytime I drive it back to its homeland!

New Years was the first trip... and President's day will be the next!

tripledigitken - 1-14-2010 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

Bucko,

Ken

diesels are hard to design/sell in US market due to our clean air regs.... (blame it on libs? :lol: ) for whatever reason, auto makers won't sell many diesels here

Thanks for the update Goat.:rolleyes:

2010 Mileage

David K - 2-11-2010 at 03:46 PM

Last fill up, I got 20.5 MPG (combined city/ highway)! I never got that much before, even if highway only!

Up to now, I was getting 16/18 on the new truck (city/ highway)... It has 3,300 miles on it now, 2.5 months old.

TRACTION OPTIONS

David K - 2-11-2010 at 03:51 PM

I also post over on The Tacoma World forums... it is where I went to figure out the many traction options the '09 and '10 Off Road TRD 4WD Tacomas have. There wasn't one clear explanation there, either... and the manual doesn't do justice to giving us the data we seek.

I have this put together and if any of you Tacoma TRD 4WD (Tacoma or FJ Cruiser or Land Cruiser) folks can benefit, then great!:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to put stuff down in a way we can understand... Here is another way that may help to see the nine modes as being different:

Basically, we have:
1) 2WD with 'mild' LSD (Limited Slip Differntial called 'TRAC'),
2) 2WD with 'strong' LSD called "AUTO LSD", in the TRAC Off mode), and
3) 2WD with open differentials (VSC Off mode, for both TRAC and VSC off).

We have:
4) H4 with 'medium' LSD (TRAC with no engine output regulation), and
5) H4 with open differentials (VSC Off mode)

We have:
6) L4 with open differentials,
7) L4 with 'strong' LSD (A-TRAC)
8) L4 with rear locker and open front differential, and
9) L4 with rear locker and strong front LSD (A-TRAC).

As for when you use those 9 modes... well, whenever you need to! Seriously, the standard setting in H2 and H4 will work. I have never needed AUTO LSD because I have 4WD, so why put your truck through any stress?

H4 with TRAC is fantastic for most 4WD applications... I was amazed on how it took me over deep beach and arroyo sand without deflating the tires (as always necessary before).

L4... well this is the one mode that I say to push a button for, the A-TRAC button, and leave it that way. L4 is for slow crawling up and down grades or through deep snow/ mud... or if you do get stuck in sand. Amazing technology makes our Tacomas tractors (almost)!

Locking rear differential: Well, with A-TRAC I just don't know if this is important anymore. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it! Before A-TRAC, I used the locker many times for steep hill climbing... and it worked. Try a steep climb and if you are halted before you get to the top... try the locker and see if you get any further. My testing at Ocotillo Wells, didn't do anything more than wher A-TRAC got me... There is more 'testing' to do, however!

OPEN DIFFERENTALS? We have the option of making the differntial(s) open in all three drives (H2, H4, L4)... if you just gotta play in the snow or mud with one tire per drive axle spinning away, and the other doing nothing... like on the pre-2009 Tacomas.

So, you have traction opens galore! However, the standard mode in H2 and H4 will take care of you... and push the A-TRAC button once in L4 and leave it that way... making it the 'normal' mode in L4, will be the way to go IMO!

Have Fun Everyone!

1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, 'Vehicle Stability Contro'l and 'Traction Control' (Limited Slip Diff.).
2) 2WD: Switch turns off 'TRAC' and 'VSC', and turns on 'AUTO LSD'. Gives maximum power to tire with traction by braking spinning tire, without cutting power.
3) 2WD: 3 second push of switch turns off VSC, TRAC & AUTO LSD for open differential.

4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC are both on. No engine power is cut in TRAC while in H4.
5) 4WD-Hi: 3 second push of switch turns off VSC and TRAC.

6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are off (open differentials).
7) 4WD-Lo: Push of A-TRAC button activates A-TRAC (Locker-like limited slip).
8) 4WD-Lo: Push of RR DIFF LOCK switch to lock rear differential.
9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK and A-TRAC combined. 5 MPH limit.

Packoderm - 2-11-2010 at 08:32 PM

Play it safe and go with the one with the 'strong' LSD.

David K - 2-11-2010 at 08:49 PM

Different LSD then they use in Berkeley, I think!:O

Packoderm - 2-11-2010 at 09:46 PM

Oh yeah, it's been recalled. "Don't take the Toyota 'strong' LSD..."

David K - 5-13-2011 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The Tacoma has an AC outlet near the tailgate. It's rated at 100 watts /400 watts with a button next to the steering column. For last years Christmas Parade we used the truck to pull the float. It was lit up with Christmas lights, a DVD player and a TV set. All worked OK in the garage when setup. During the parade we found out that when it is set for 400 watts the truck changes to 100 watts when it is put into gear. As you can guess we had no lights or TV playing during the parade. This year we rented a generator, no problem.

There is a solution to keep it at 400 watts, while in gear! (from a post on TacomaWorld):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/156894-how-...

TMW - 5-14-2011 at 05:58 PM

I don't remember which trade magazine I saw it in but they said Toyota is scheduled to come out with the new Tacoma in 2014, probably for the 2015 model year. DK will get a new one then. I'd like to see them get rid of the red instrument lighting or make it changable. Also redesign the door panel, maybe take a hint from Nisson like the Xterra. I'd also like to see a little more space on the inside of the upper front wheels so snow chains and larger tires have better clearance. I'd also like to see the rear differential locked in 4x4 H. Maybe have a larger inverter that can power a MW. Improve the cup holders in the front with two in the console and make the hatchet arms stronger on the two front ones. Also more range on the tilt steering wheel, up/down with seperate tilt maybe. Auto dimming rear view mirror. If they haven't already add auto level control on the radio. I know I'm being picky picky picky.

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't remember which trade magazine I saw it in but they said Toyota is scheduled to come out with the new Tacoma in 2014, probably for the 2015 model year. DK will get a new one then. I'd like to see them get rid of the red instrument lighting or make it changable. Also redesign the door panel, maybe take a hint from Nisson like the Xterra. I'd also like to see a little more space on the inside of the upper front wheels so snow chains and larger tires have better clearance. I'd also like to see the rear differential locked in 4x4 H. Maybe have a larger inverter that can power a MW. Improve the cup holders in the front with two in the console and make the hatchet arms stronger on the two front ones. Also more range on the tilt steering wheel, up/down with seperate tilt maybe. Auto dimming rear view mirror. If they haven't already add auto level control on the radio. I know I'm being picky picky picky.

Suggestions are good...

The locker in H4, may not be a factory option because in 2009, the Tacomas were equiped with Traction Control in H2 and H4 (I noticed a big improvement over my '05 with my '10, it is a very effective limited slip in high range 4WD). The Off Road 4WDs have A-TRAC in low range and a rear locker.

There is a mod. that allows you to lock the rear differential, anytime! On the pre-'05's it is called the Gray Wire Mod. On the post '05's a relay must be used. This can be found on TacomaWorld.com

Ken Cooke - 5-15-2011 at 08:25 AM

When I saw this thread listed in Today's Posts, I thought David was selling his new Tacoma.

Attach some new photos, David!!:bounce:

David K - 5-15-2011 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
When I saw this thread listed in Today's Posts, I thought David was selling his new Tacoma.

Attach some new photos, David!!:bounce:

This is a year old thread Ken... Because it is where TW talked of how the built-in inverter goes from 400 watts to 100 watts when the truck is in gear. This is why I responded here when I had a solution for that.

Newest photos of my truck are in the Lost Mission Expedition 2011 trip report... :light:

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by David K]

mulegejim - 5-15-2011 at 09:23 AM

I would also like to see rear wheel disc brakes either standard or as an option. Much easier to rinse out if you get them in the water launching. Jim

TMW - 5-15-2011 at 10:05 AM

When I said DK would get a new one I ment he usually changes every 5 years, I think on a lease. Me I hold on to a vehicle for years and years or until I hit a buss. My 91 chevy I had for 13 years and then gave it to my son who still has it. My 93 Toyota I had 14 years until I hit the buss in Mexicali. At my age I'm not sure I'll buy another truck since I already have a 2004 GMC and a 2004 Tacoma. Of course when I get as old an Neal Johns I may reconsider. I wouldn't mind having a Jeep or Xterra.

David K - 5-15-2011 at 10:19 AM

TW is correct, as I do get the new Tacomas on a 5 year lease... as I only have one vehicle and it is used for my business as well as travel/ vacation... That is why it must be reliable and able to take the punishment of off roading and never break down as it has to serve me as daily transportation... Only Toyota has proven to me to be such a reliable and well built vehicle.

I am seriously considering converting the lease on my 2010 to a purchase, as it is just so perfect (and with the drop in business miles from the crappy economy, my opdometer isn't flipping as fast as my previous two Tacomas).

J.P. - 5-15-2011 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
When I said DK would get a new one I ment he usually changes every 5 years, I think on a lease. Me I hold on to a vehicle for years and years or until I hit a buss. My 91 chevy I had for 13 years and then gave it to my son who still has it. My 93 Toyota I had 14 years until I hit the buss in Mexicali. At my age I'm not sure I'll buy another truck since I already have a 2004 GMC and a 2004 Tacoma. Of course when I get as old an Neal Johns I may reconsider. I wouldn't mind having a Jeep or Xterra.

I never drove a vehicle more tham two years during my working life .The last new one i bought was in 1998 . My current 2 vehicles are 1995. It took a lot of years to figure out I was throwing away a lot of money and vehicles tha still had a lot of life.

David K - 5-15-2011 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

I never drove a vehicle more tham two years during my working life .The last new one i bought was in 1998 . My current 2 vehicles are 1995. It took a lot of years to figure out I was throwing away a lot of money and vehicles tha still had a lot of life.

Wow, how many miles did you put on in just 2 years that caused you to trade them so soon? Me, I put over 100,000 miles on them in 5 years or less.. but that is less than half a good life for a Toyota!

J.P. - 5-15-2011 at 11:01 AM

I was a union ironworker and it was not unusual to comute 130 miles or more a day and my wife did outside sales work.
Most of the time I traded was not due to excessive miles but I loveeeeeeee the smell of new cars:lol::lol:

David K - 5-15-2011 at 11:38 AM

That's a good reason!:cool:

TMW - 5-15-2011 at 12:56 PM

I agree the smell of a new vehicle is great. I also think cars and trucks get better with new features added every year. My 93 Toyota had the 3L V6 and that was the only grip I had with it. It was great in Baja running at a slower pace and off road but on the freeways of CA it was a dog with a capital D. My 2004 has the 3.4L V6 and the difference is night and day. Had I driven a 3.4L earlier I would have traded in a heart beat. My work truck was a 2007 Tacoma with the 4L V6 and I swear it might beat my GMC Z71 with a 5.3L V8 in a drag race. I really do like the newer vehicles I just don't want to part with my cash. I've owned the title after a few months to every vehicle I've had except this 04 Tacoma, I financed it over 3 yrs. Being retired I didn't want to part with my IRA money too soon.

David K - 5-15-2011 at 01:40 PM

The size, comfort, power and traction controls of the '09 and newer Tacomas are really nice Tom!

Here's one TW's former Toyota trucks

Ken Cooke - 5-16-2011 at 06:07 PM

SPIDERMAN!:lol:

David K - 5-16-2011 at 06:45 PM

I like the last one on the WWII U.S. Telephone (to San Felipe Radar station) Pole Line, Cobblestone paved road!

TMW - 5-16-2011 at 07:25 PM

I really liked that truck, especially in Baja. But I must say my 2004 with the bigger engine is much better. It will stomp over the Jeeps in a heart beat. It will climb a pole line road faster than a speeding jack rabbit. It will, it will I need to control myself....................it will make me happy.

It will, it will...

Ken Cooke - 5-16-2011 at 07:38 PM

TW - Did you know that slow is the new fast? :!: