BajaNomad

Snorkeling with kids

newtobaja - 12-9-2009 at 10:43 AM

hi there,

Can anyone recommend places where I can snorkel with my kids (aged 10, 6) which is safe and beautiful? This will be the first time they snorkel.
I don't mind joining a tour. We'll be driving down so we can do it almost any place (eg BConception, LP, Cabos etc)

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2009 at 11:19 AM

Cabo Pulmo comes to mind.

Just make sure it's a beach that has few stingrays. San Lucas Cove has lots. They seem to like enclosed areas that have little wave action or current. Cabo Pulmo has few stingrays but I'm not sure about camping facilities. A great coral reef though with lots to see.

Ken Bondy - 12-9-2009 at 11:23 AM

The best snorkeling I have experienced in Baja is the reef in front of Hotel Punta Pescadero on the East Cape.

oxxo - 12-9-2009 at 11:29 AM

Lots of snorkeling tours in Cabo San Lucas. Or you can do it yourself at Bahia Santa Maria, Bahia Chileno, or the Hilton Cove all of them along the Corridor. No sting rays and calm water. I have taken many first time snorkelers there including kids and there were tons of colorful fish to keep them fascinated. But.......you will have lots of company!

Ken Bondy - 12-9-2009 at 11:31 AM

oxxo is right, Bahia Chileno also has excellent snorkeling and easy access!

newtobaja - 12-11-2009 at 01:38 AM

thanks for the info. Some great pointers.

What about water temperature around Dec time frame in the La Paz area, Cabo area and bahia concepcion? Will itbe comfortable enough to swim/snorkel in it? In another thread in the Q&A forum someone mentioned that the water may be too cold to swim

Skipjack Joe - 12-11-2009 at 03:10 AM

Looks like low to mid 70's now:

http://www.tempbreak.com/index.php?&cwregion=ml

Paulclark - 12-11-2009 at 07:26 AM

Arbolitos Beach at the south end of Pulmo Bay is great snorkeling for kids. Less wave action and the coral starts 20 ft. off shore. There are public palapas and it is a regular camp spot. The only time it is bad is in a north wind.

monoloco - 12-11-2009 at 09:54 PM

Los Muertos bay would also be a good place for kids.

Mulegena - 12-11-2009 at 11:18 PM

Do you have shortie wetsuits? The further south you go on the eastern side of Baja the warmer the water in the winter.

Pompano - 12-12-2009 at 04:02 AM

The waters of Conception Bay are cooling off as I type and might be too cold for the kids from now until April. I would advise much further south like the above postes suggest..

....or if possible, Costa Rica? Now there's a snorkeling paradise.

fishbuck - 12-12-2009 at 04:20 AM

Yes, I'm struggling with the temperature thing my self.
It is winter. Even in Baja.
Those are some young kids. I would guess that they need water that they can stand up in.
A sandy bottom is good too. Clear warm water also.
But fish like rocks and other structure.
Watch out for sting rays and sculpins.
This time of year I would guess you need to be south of La paz.
Eastcape area.
Bahia De La Muertos might work. But lots of boat traffic.
Las Barriles area might be better.
These kids are small and probably will just play at snorkeling anyway.
Build some sand castles! Fly a kite. Bring a boggieboard.
That's what kids like.
Heck, that's what I like!;D

newtobaja - 12-14-2009 at 09:57 AM

This was helpful. Looks like we won't stop long in bahia conception and head further south to get to warmer waters.

Heather - 12-14-2009 at 11:51 AM

What I would do...in Cabo San Lucas is go out on the Pez Gato snorkeling cruise. The tour is usually from 10 am to 2 pm, they'll take you out to see the Arch, and then down to either Santa Maria or Chileno. They serve lunch and drinks. They will also supply all of your snorkeling equipment (kid and adult size), life jackets to make snorkeling easier, and even some basic instructions. I think the cost is about $50/adult, and maybe $35 per child (don't quote me on this!). They have various boats, the Tropicat is the bigger yellow one that Oscar/Gordo captains, and then there are about 3 Pez Gato's. I like the catamaran Pez I with captain Beto.
I don't recommend much in Cabo, but you and the kids will definitely enjoy this.
The other thing, if the water is too cold, you'll still have a good time on the boat.
Check out their website: www.pezgatocabo.com

For another version/cheaper tour...I would go out on the Zaida glass-bottom boats. They'll give you the tour of the arch, and then you can arrange to get dropped off at Lover's Beach for some snorkeling. They'll leave you as long as you want and come back for you around your pre-arranged time. Isaac and his sister run this operation, and Isaac will give you a good deal. He's got a couple of boats, but the bigger one is the best, and again if the water is too cold, you can still see the fish through the glass bottom.

You can tell them that Heather sent you...they should know who you're talking about! Have fun!