BajaNomad

FMT

BajaGeoff - 12-11-2009 at 12:15 PM

When I went down for the Baja 1000 last month my dad and I stopped in TJ to get our tourist cards. I told the official in Spanish that I had heard of a free tourist card issued for trips that are a week or less. He chuckled and shook his head to indicate that no such thing existed. He left the office as we filled out our forms and came back just as were about to walk to the bank to pay. "Espere" he said. He took our forms back, stamped and signed them and sent us on our way, free of charge.

noproblemo2 - 12-11-2009 at 12:36 PM

Great info, Thanks.......

David K - 12-11-2009 at 12:45 PM

and that is how it is done, in old Mexico!:cool:

woody with a view - 12-11-2009 at 12:50 PM

keep that one for next time (and the next one for the time after that!). we were held up for 25 minutes (OMG!) one early morning while the guy tried to make us pay for the 6 month one. we walked to the bank and the guy inside said their computer was down. what to do? we finally waited the guy out and he produced the proper "free" stamp. VIOLA! it's a miracle! how did that get there?

next time show the guy that yes, there is such a stamp.... and be on your way.:light:

Hook - 12-11-2009 at 01:42 PM

here is the INM website in English. I can find no reference to the 7 day exemption of fees on their site. Not saying it doesnt exist, of course, as many of us have used it, myself included.

It really needs to be stressed that individual INM offices have their own way of enforcing the ley.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/EN/index.php

DENNIS - 12-11-2009 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
here is the INM website in English. I can find no reference to the 7 day exemption of fees on their site.

You'll need to research "Free Zone" travel requirments.
How many times have we been through this....No visa is required in the Free Zone for one week.
There is no document which states one doesn't require a document for that period of time in that place.
It seems that the confusion here is with that last point. Some here are trying to say there's a free visa for one week in the free zone when, in fact, it's not required. There is no such thing.

Bajahowodd - 12-11-2009 at 02:30 PM

There are about as many different versions of the rules as there are posters. If the guy gave Geoff an FM-T good for seven days, it's good throughout the country.

Hook - 12-11-2009 at 02:43 PM

I live in a Free Zone. The document IS required. Paying for it is not, for under 7 days.

You're confusing the exempt zone from the border to Ensenada and the border to San Felipe with the term Free Zone which applies to all of Baja and a portion of Sonora as a trade zone and a permit free zone for vehicles.

How many times have we been through this????????

DENNIS - 12-11-2009 at 02:54 PM

In all the time I've been here, I've never heard the term, "Exempt Zone." But, since you say it, it must be true, huh.

Since you think you know ALL about it, read this:

http://www.mexicolaw.com/LawInfo29.htm

BajaGeoff - 12-11-2009 at 03:52 PM

All I know is that every time I head south of Maneadero I am getting an FMT, no matter what. The fact that a 7 day FMT is free makes it all the more sweeter!

Bajahowodd - 12-11-2009 at 04:21 PM

If someone makes frequent, short trips South of Maneadero, getting the freebie makes little sense. For give or take $20, you don't have to make the stop at the border for 180 days at a time. The idea of a free 7 day really shouldn't appeal to that many folks. We travel to Ensenada for long weekends several times a year. Can do that with no visa. We go to the whales at GN or San Ignacio at least once a year. We drive down to Cabo twice a year. For us, it's worth paying the $20 bucks each time our FM-Ts expire. I see the freebie appealing only to the infrequent traveler.

David K - 12-11-2009 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I live in a Free Zone. The document IS required. Paying for it is not, for under 7 days.

You're confusing the exempt zone from the border to Ensenada and the border to San Felipe with the term Free Zone which applies to all of Baja and a portion of Sonora as a trade zone and a permit free zone for vehicles.

How many times have we been through this????????

Exactly as Hook says, althought the zone has a different name... until I see a federal document that changes it: FM-T is required anytime you go south of the BORDER ZONE, even for 1 minute.

In Baja, the BORDER ZONE is south to Maneadero or San Felipe. IF you go south of those places you are supposed to have the FM-T (Tourist Card)... IT ISN'T checked until Guerrero Negro, so the non-Internet savvy gringo will assume that all of Baja California (Norte) is exempt.

Logic: There are other 'legal' roads that cross into Baja Sur than Hwy. 1... so, you really should learn where the FM-T is required... regardless if it is checked or not by officials.

POINT 2: There is a time limit for tourists in Mexico, in the BORDER ZONE to not need an FM-T. The official documents from INM have stated it is 72 HOURS for all the years I have been traveling to Baja. Dennis was told it is now 7 days... but, where is that written?

SO: GET a Tourist Card (FM-T) anytime you travel south of the BORDER ZONE OR anytime you are in the border zone longer than 3 (or maybe 7) DAYS!

That is IF you want to be 'legal'... :light:

David K - 12-11-2009 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
If someone makes frequent, short trips South of Maneadero, getting the freebie makes little sense. For give or take $20, you don't have to make the stop at the border for 180 days at a time. The idea of a free 7 day really shouldn't appeal to that many folks. We travel to Ensenada for long weekends several times a year. Can do that with no visa. We go to the whales at GN or San Ignacio at least once a year. We drive down to Cabo twice a year. For us, it's worth paying the $20 bucks each time our FM-Ts expire. I see the freebie appealing only to the infrequent traveler.

This is a given... Stopping for the tourist card is a small hassel, so if you 'might' make MORE than ONE trip south of the border zone in 180 days or more than 3 days in duration in a 180 day period, then PAY the $22 dollars and get a 180 DAY FM-T...