BajaNomad

Cabo to Tecate

oxxo - 12-13-2009 at 12:10 PM

Just completed the trip from Cabo to Tecate. Not a whole lot of traffic. We did see several cars with surfboards on top, more than usual. No bandits and no hassles.

We saw lots of cops in Constitucion, but no one bothered us. We went right down the center lane and, yes, there are about 10 stopsigns. But no problem, we were in no hurry. It looks like they are putting up stoplights that may be operating someday. I hope I live long enough to see it!

The road, Hwy 1, is in good shape except for a 5 mile stretch at El Pedregoso, which is pretty rough.

We stayed at Don Gus in GN for the first time. Cost was 450 pesos with in-room wireless and several English language stations on the TV. We think it is a better deal than Los Caracoles - bigger rooms, better furniture, more services. They have a sign posted at check-in that says "no dogs." I don't know if it is enforced. We had a good meal at the Don Gus restaurant. It was rather pricey but most restaurants in GN tend to be more expensive than other locations in Baja.

Came across two different rollovers in the center of the road. One was a panel truck, the other an SUV, both Mexican plated. The second one, north of El Rosario was bad. There appeared to be fatalities.

The bathrooms at Baja Cactus Pemex were as gross as I have ever seen them!

New Pemex's popping up all over the place.

There was about a 20 to 30 minute wait at the military checkpoint south of Maneadero. They were going through every vehicle very thoroughly. There was a long line. Every military checkpoint made us get out of our vehicle for inspection except the one just north of La Paz.

The stretch of road between Ensenada and Tecate is new 4 lane from Ensenada all the way to the wineries. Then it is about 15 miles of dirt road while they complete the rest of the 4 lane. It had recently rained when we passed through and it was one BIG mud bog! We almost got stuck twice. I would strongly advise anyone using this road in the next few months to consider other alternatives, especially if you are towing something or do not have 4 wheel drive.

15 minute wait at Tecate border, Saturday at 5pm.

We were pulled over by the Border Patrol. They follwed us all the way from Ocampo to Hwy 8 because our vehicle looked "suspicious" with all the mud on it. We gave them an explanation and they sent us on our way with an apology and no inspection.

All things considered, a very enjoyable trip!

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by oxxo]

Bajahowodd - 12-13-2009 at 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info. From what you wrote about Don Gus, they must have renovated. It's been years since we stayed there and when Caracoles opened, it was much nicer. BTW, Caracoles does have three larger rooms in the back. As for the Baja Cactus Pemex, if you can "hold it" for another half hour or so, the newer Pemex by Los Pinos has very modern restrooms.

David K - 12-14-2009 at 08:56 AM

There is a bathroom in the lobby of Baja Cactus Motel (door on the left side of the front desk) that you (who need a clean place to use), can use... per Antonio here on Nomad. Too bad that there apparently is no longer a person attending them at the station... He had hired someone to specifically keep them clean a few years ago.

DianaT - 12-14-2009 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo

We stayed at Don Gus in GN for the first time.

The bathrooms at Baja Cactus Pemex were as gross as I have ever seen them!

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by oxxo]

Thank you for your report. Nice to see you were not accused of making things up with your comment about the bathrooms. :biggrin:

I do hope Antonio will be able to build the new bathrooms soon with someone to keep them reasonably clean. Since we have the range to easily go from Guerrero Negro to the new stations by Los Pinos, we are stopping less and less at the one in El Rosario and it has been the place to stop for so long.

Good to hear that Don Gus is fixed up nicely, but we have heard they definitely will NOT take dogs, which if I remember correctly, is a good thing for you. But we will try the restaurant. We have a couple of favorites and tend to go stick with them----time to try this one.

Thanks for the report.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by DianaT]

shari - 12-14-2009 at 09:20 AM

I have always liked Don Gus...very nice professional people and the restaurant is the classiest one around with excellent service...good to know the price is still reasonable.

How did ya like the new facelift in Vizcaino?? New boulevard with palm trees and everything...lots of new stoplights which are kinda confusing but sure looks nicer and not so much dust now..glad you had a safe trip.

vandenberg - 12-14-2009 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
The stretch of road between Ensenada and Tecate is new 4 lane from Ensenada all the way to the wineries. Then it is about 15 miles of dirt road while they complete the rest of the 4 lane. It had recently rained when we passed through and it was one BIG mud bog! We almost got stuck twice. I would strongly advise anyone using this road in the next few months to consider other alternatives, especially if you are towing something or do not have 4 wheel drive.

We're driving up in about a week and like to know exactly which stretch you're talking about.
Somebody mentioned the new road from the bridge to old #1, and mentioned it bypassing a lot of construction. Is that the stretch you mention or is there much more then that? We have a Camry, which is rather low with little clearance.
All information on the Ensenada to Tecate road is appreciated.

David K - 12-14-2009 at 10:37 AM

The bypass is an excellent idea to avoid Hwy. 3 mess... Going north, stay on Hwy. 1 past the Tecate Hwy. 3 exit, and go to the next exit which is the FREE Hwy. 1 Tijuana Mex. 1 road. It is beautiful drive, if you take it north all the way, but the NEW paved road to Guadalupe/ Fro. Zarco comes in about 7 miles up the free road... that will take you back to Hwy. 3 at the Guadalupe Pemex station.

oxxo - 12-14-2009 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
How did ya like the new facelift in Vizcaino?? New boulevard with palm trees and everything...

Vizcaino was a pleasant surprise! Much improved.

oxxo - 12-14-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Good to hear that Don Gus is fixed up nicely, but we have heard they definitely will NOT take dogs,

I'm not sure. Don Gus was recommended to me by a colleage Nomad who stayed there 2 weeks ago. He has a dog with him. I don't want to say who it is and maybe blow his cover, but I presume he stayed there with his dog - medium size about 30 pounds, very sweet.

Please don't misunderstand, I like dogs and had one who was my best friend. I have a "grand dog" now that we baby sit on occassion. I just don't like to sleep in a bed where someone else's dog has slept. My sister-in-law has a dog who sleeps in bed with her, where ever she goes.

oxxo - 12-14-2009 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The bypass is an excellent idea to avoid Hwy. 3 mess... Going north, stay on Hwy. 1 past the Tecate Hwy. 3 exit, and go to the next exit which is the FREE Hwy. 1 Tijuana Mex. 1 road. It is beautiful drive, if you take it north all the way, but the NEW paved road to Guadalupe/ Fro. Zarco comes in about 7 miles up the free road... that will take you back to Hwy. 3 at the Guadalupe Pemex station.

WOW! I was unaware of this alternate route! I will definitely take this route from Tecate when I return to Cabo about the middle of January.

The Hwy 3 four lane goes from Hwy 1 exit north of Ensenada to the entrance to the wine country. Then there is about 15 miles of dirt road through the wine country/winery section itself. If it has been raining, it is a mess. Even if it hasn't been raining, I would think twice about using this section. I recommend following DK's advice.

DianaT - 12-14-2009 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Good to hear that Don Gus is fixed up nicely, but we have heard they definitely will NOT take dogs,

I'm not sure. Don Gus was recommended to me by a colleage Nomad who stayed there 2 weeks ago. He has a dog with him. I don't want to say who it is and maybe blow his cover, but I presume he stayed there with his dog - medium size about 30 pounds, very sweet.

Please don't misunderstand, I like dogs and had one who was my best friend. I have a "grand dog" now that we baby sit on occassion. I just don't like to sleep in a bed where someone else's dog has slept. My sister-in-law has a dog who sleeps in bed with her, where ever she goes.

We very much understand that people have all different kinds of feelings about dogs and some have medical issues with dogs. Our dogs are beyond spoiled and if our little dog belonged to someone else, we probably would not like her very much.

We will check out Don Gus and see. Years ago, they were on the pet friendly list, but I think something must have happened---which is really a shame.

Re: road between Ensenada and Tecate---check this out

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42920#pid473250

Using that road was reported by a new member, and Dennis said he is going to check it out since it used to be dirt.

Hope to hear more from people who have used it as it sounds like a great alternative to that construction mess.

motoged - 12-16-2009 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
[.....I just don't like to sleep in a bed where someone else's dog has slept. My sister-in-law has a dog who sleeps in bed with her, where ever she goes.

Sooooo.....I guess you don't sleep with your sister-in-law.....:lol:

BooJumMan - 12-16-2009 at 08:58 AM

More surfers driving south eh? Damnit!

oxxo - 12-16-2009 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motogedSooooo.....I guess you don't sleep with your sister-in-law.....:lol:

I'd rather sleep with her dog!

Acuity - 12-16-2009 at 10:04 AM

It makes me sad when I hear of people "smuggling " their dogs into pet-free accommodations. While I do understand that, to them, their pets are family and do not cause problems, I also know that for some people, my wife included, pet dander is dangerous to their health. Sleeping in a bed that has been occupied, or laid on by a dog is beyond unpleasant for such people - it can result in severe breathing difficulties.

And now I'll sit back, expecting to get flamed :rolleyes:

motoged - 12-16-2009 at 10:56 AM

Oh gaaaaawwwwddd !!!!!!:rolleyes:

Here we go with a Dog Thread:barf:

Oxxo, Thanks for not taking offense with my cheap-shot one-liner;D

capt. mike - 12-16-2009 at 03:23 PM

Acuity - you got my vote on that.
my wife is very allergic to pet dander especially cats.
i am not a fan of people's pets allowed to stay in hotel rooms.
if i see pets ok - i go elsewhere.
they never clean up after pets well enough, i mean the staff - let alone the occupants.
even on fall and winter hunting trips as a kid the dogs (german short haired pointers and black labs mainly) stayed out in the truck cabs overnight.
big deal, they're dogs.

Bajahowodd - 12-16-2009 at 03:41 PM

Reading the last several posts reminds me, especially when it comes to folks who have allergies. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but is it not the usual custom, all over, to post a warning such as "NO PETS", but rarely does one find a sign saying "PET FRIENDLY"? It become incumbent on potential guests to explicitly ask. That said, for all the dog lovers, and I do understand the additional hassle when traveling with pets, but you ought to consider the potential harm that could be done by sneaking your pet into a room that is not supposed to have pets.