BajaNomad

Dried mangos

bajalera - 7-4-2004 at 09:34 PM

Have any Nomads ever dried slices of mango successfully? In my cookbooks as well as in Internet searches, all I've found are recipes for mango "leather" or ads for companies that sell dried mangos. What I'm looking for are directions for making the kind of dried mango slices
sold in stores.

Lera

jeans - 7-4-2004 at 10:12 PM

You will need a food dehydrator. You can buy them at high-end kitchen suppy places or you can make you own.
http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm

If you make this, let me know if it works. I love dried fruit, but it's hard to find it without the chemicals. Good luck!

It works....!!!

BajaCactus - 7-5-2004 at 08:54 PM

My wife has a dehydrator and makes all kinds of dry fruits... orange, mango, apricots. apple...even grapes..

They taste great... no chemicals added... just the plain fruit and a couple of days in that machine.

Antonio M.

Dried fruits

jrbaja - 7-6-2004 at 09:23 AM

Antonio, do the grapes look like raisins?:lol: We have some growing here and this is our first year for grapes. What a good idea.
Sounds like it won't be just beans, tortillas, and rice for the mountain adventure:light:
We have 3 or 4 different kinds of mangos growing down south. Sounds like a pre trip trip is in order to outfit the expedition.