BajaNomad

Shame on Cabo's Hotel Capella Pedregal

capt. mike - 12-18-2009 at 01:34 PM

for vaunting one of their homeowners and erstwhile yacht club members in taking this 400 LB black marlin in Aug this year.
i see no reason why this magnificent animal couldn't have been released.
this is none of my business by the way - i was solicited by them for a stay 5 and pay 3 nite holiday stay in Dec.
i declined as their lowest suite rate is $700 ++ US $$ per noche.....and i was looking for something a little more spendy.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::lol:

blackmarlin_auriga_081809_sm (Medium).jpg - 49kB

Bajahowodd - 12-18-2009 at 01:51 PM

Geez. I didn't realize they were even open. As you point out, this is a property for the very well-heeled. So, wealth may beget the arrogance that led them to bring that beautiful beast ashore instead of releasing it.

Incredible amounts of money had to be spent just to obtain access to the land this hotel sits on. They had to blast a 300 meter long tunnel under Pedregal, so they could defile a pristine beach. The people behind this and their sister properties mostly were the top honchos with Ritz-Carleton.

I attached a link to their website just in case anyone other than myself is interested in how the other half live.

http://www.capellapedregal.com/

capt. mike - 12-18-2009 at 02:17 PM

Howodd - i stayed at the Cabo Azul in Los Cabos the month it soft-opened in nov. 2007 (baja mil ended in Cabo). Built and developed by Monarch Grand Resorts as both a hotel and interval property ownership resort - they own many.
our 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen and balcony view of the ocean had a rack rate then of $850 a night. they were discounting as a pre opening for $550 a nite.
mine was comped because a friend was a high level exec in the company.
i don't think they are doing too well these days though....
man it WAS fun living large those 4 nights in the midst of the muy rico!!
probably never get luxury like that again in my lifetime.

as i cruised the property i based all my behavior on "what would Rodney (Dangerfield) do..?!:lol::lol:

Bajahowodd - 12-18-2009 at 02:48 PM

Mike- I checked their website. Looks like a great place. Gets me to wondering as to so many high-end resorts opening recently, and a few still under construction, just who is going to stay there, given the economy. It wasn't that long ago when there were only a couple of those pricey high-end places, such as Palmilla and Las Ventanas. glad you got comped. For me, there is still much to choose from among the older hotels that won't cost an arm and a leg. We stayed at Finesterra a couple of years ago and paid less than $100 per night.

Who's staying

wessongroup - 12-19-2009 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Mike- I checked their website. Looks like a great place. Gets me to wondering as to so many high-end resorts opening recently, and a few still under construction, just who is going to stay there, given the economy. It wasn't that long ago when there were only a couple of those pricey high-end places, such as Palmilla and Las Ventanas. glad you got comped. For me, there is still much to choose from among the older hotels that won't cost an arm and a leg. We stayed at Finesterra a couple of years ago and paid less than $100 per night.

How about the folks from AIG, and the rest... they are having a good time reviving the "economy"???? the "green shoots" have turned into a lush tropical jungle for them...:):)

Do agree on the release, you can always catch it again.. more fun.. again:):)

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by wessongroup]

jeans - 12-19-2009 at 11:16 AM

I just went through the website..exquisite staging & photography...

bajabass - 12-19-2009 at 03:09 PM

Eat the dorado, release the billfish. Please!!

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 05:51 AM

Amazing what "big" money can do.... just about anything, except "put it back" the way it was....:):)