BajaNomad

Mag Bay Report - 12/19/09 - Last Wahoo(?), Mako, and Marlin

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:07 AM

Wednesday, after a week of wind that shut down fishing offshore on the Pacific outside Mag Bay I trailered my boat from Loreto to take advantage of a window of calm weather. Thursday morning I launched in Lopez Mateos and ran to the ridge north of Thetis Bank. There I managed only one wahoo in 3 1/2 hours, and I had to fight a sea lion for it. I also caught a small mako shark before heading south to Thetis Bank and an anchorage in Bahia Santa Maria for the night. South of Thetis a double marlin hook-up changed a slow day to a memorable one, since they were my first marlin of the year out on the tuna banks. Yesterday, I was back at the high spot as the sun came up. Three hours trolling for wahoo and a stop to fish under porpoise on the way back to the boca yielded nada for the day. A rare skunk outside Mag Bay. Maybe the fantastic wahoo season outside Mag Bay is winding down, although I will probably have to give it another try on the full moon at the end of the month.
Here is a photo of the one wahoo caught in two days fishing showing the effects of the tug of war with the P-nche lobo.

12-18-1.JPG - 46kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:09 AM

And the mako shark caught Thursday.

12-18-2.JPG - 45kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:12 AM

A striped marlin dancing at the boat.

12-18-3.JPG - 45kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:14 AM

Another.

12-18-4.JPG - 47kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:16 AM

The sun setting night before last behind Cabo San Lazaro at Bahia Santa Maria.

12-18-5.JPG - 44kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:18 AM

A shrimp boat on the hook yesterday in glassy calm seas outside Boca de Soledad.

12-18-6.JPG - 49kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:20 AM

The dunes of Isla Magdalena.

12-18-7.JPG - 45kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:23 AM

The cannery is apparently back in operation following repairs after Hurrican Jimena.

12-18-8.JPG - 43kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:26 AM

The launch ramp at Lopez Mateos yesterday afternoon at high tide.

12-18-9.JPG - 49kB

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bill! Great report and great fishing. You're da man.

You're killing me with these wahoo and shark photos. I caught a 22 inch pinto yesterday.

One more post-Xmas trip, then I am camping at Mag Bay for robalo and whatever is outside.

Roger......I will probably have to admit pretty soon that what has been and incredible year outside Mag Bay for wahoo is over. Let me know when you are going to be over there and I may join you. Ruben Duran caught some more robalo fishing north in the estero last week.

Santiago - 12-19-2009 at 09:51 AM

Thanks Bill; really love these reports. I've always wanted to trailer my boat down but have been worried about the getting through the entrance to the outside. How/where do you punch through or is it no big deal? Which is more dangerous, going out or coming in? What is the smallest/lightest boat that should do this?
Thanks

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Thanks Bill; really love these reports. I've always wanted to trailer my boat down but have been worried about the getting through the entrance to the outside. How/where do you punch through or is it no big deal? Which is more dangerous, going out or coming in? What is the smallest/lightest boat that should do this?
Thanks

Santiago.......Unless I am fishing on the tuna banks south of San Carlos, I access the Pacific from the estero through Boca de Soleda which is about 8 miles north of Lopez mateos. It is a passage not to be taken lightly and it is possible to get into trouble both going out and coming in. Lopez Mateos Captain Ruben Duran gave me advice and company on my first few trips 6 or 7 years ago. I have since made the passage hundreds of times alone and each time experience a surge in pulse rate. I fished outside the boca for 2 or 3 years in a McKee Craft Backwater 172, although I would not recommend a boat that small. I now have a Bluewater 2150 which although it is nominally a 21 footer, with an Armstrong bracket and 24 degree deadrise it handles offshore conditions like a much bigger boat. Actually, for negotiating the boca a smaller, well powered and maneuverable boat will serve you better than a larger more cumbersome craft, although you may pay once you get outside.

dtbushpilot - 12-19-2009 at 10:52 AM

Great report bill, thanks. Any word on the fishing inside the bay?

bill erhardt - 12-19-2009 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Great report bill, thanks. Any word on the fishing inside the bay?

dt........It has been pretty good, based on the limited reports I've heard from the few people I know who have been fishing inside. I don't know anybody who has tried Devil's Bend for snook. Ruben Duran has been finding off and on action for the elusive robalo fishing north, and Ruben as well as Jeff Peterson fishing with Chico have been finding consistent good action on Corbina.

monoloco - 12-19-2009 at 12:23 PM

I'm hoping that your Wahoo are heading south. There was one brought in yesterday at Los Cerritos. The weather has certainly been fantastic for fishing on the Pacific side.

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by monoloco]

Pescador - 12-20-2009 at 08:41 AM

Bill, we canned the Wahoo that we got at La Bocana this year and I think this is the best canned fish I have ever had. Yellowtail and tuna are both great, but Wahoo is in a class all of its own.

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 09:31 AM

Some great photo's, thanks much:):)

bill erhardt - 12-20-2009 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Bill, we canned the Wahoo that we got at La Bocana this year and I think this is the best canned fish I have ever had. Yellowtail and tuna are both great, but Wahoo is in a class all of its own.

Jim......Canned wahoo is indeed top notch. My neighbor does the honors, and it is a year round staple of my diet......