BajaNomad

CostCo Kirkland Anejo Tequila

The Gull - 12-26-2009 at 01:31 PM

A thread recently announced the subject available in 1 liter bottles for $23.99.

Santa delivered some to me this week and it is very good stuff for the price. Has that smokey flavor of Herradura Anejo with a bit more flavor that Patron Anejo. Very nice and easy to drink.

Ladies seem to like it, by the shot.

A best buy, if you drink Tequila.

Bajahowodd - 12-26-2009 at 01:40 PM

Wonder just what that is? Kirkland is having the folks who make Tonala Tequila make it. Thing is, the Tonala aged 2 years costs twice that price. Could it be the same stuff? If it is, why buy Tonala ever again?

Hook - 12-26-2009 at 02:29 PM

Thanks for the review, Gull. I will save my money.

That smoky flavor aka Herradura, Corralejo and Patron is not pleasing to me. But then I really do prefer reposados, except Tres Generaciones.

Bajahowodd - 12-26-2009 at 04:24 PM

Hook- I don't quite understand what you are saying. My experience with super aged Tequilas is that they ultimately end up tasting like cognac. IMHO, There's a major divide between folks who make margaritas and those who prefer sipping.

monoloco - 12-26-2009 at 05:03 PM

I too prefer a good reposada over anejo. The reposadas have a fresh taste that I enjoy, the aged ones remind me more of whiskey.

SDRonni - 12-26-2009 at 05:22 PM

DH loves this stuff. Won't let me make margaritas with it.....says it's definitely for sipping.........

JESSE - 12-26-2009 at 05:41 PM

Best priced premium Tequila is Partida reposado, its 40 bucks but tastes like premium 100us a bottle Tequila.

Hook - 12-26-2009 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Hook- I don't quite understand what you are saying. My experience with super aged Tequilas is that they ultimately end up tasting like cognac. IMHO, There's a major divide between folks who make margaritas and those who prefer sipping.

Some just go overboard on the smokiness/oakiness and those three I mentioned are the biggest offenders, IMO. I see your analogy to cognac.........but I'm not a big fan of cognac either.

I have really only tried about 20-30 brands of tequila in my life so I'm hardly an expert. The Anejos I have liked are Tres Gens, Asambroso, Reserva de Familia (borderline overoak) and Del Dueno.

I drink Hornitos 10-1 over anything else, sipping or mixed drinks. It's not a real exciting sipper, though. I like the Tres for sipping. My second favorite, much to my surprise, is the rather hard to find Patron reposado with the orange necktie.

I've slowed way down on tequila consumption as my wine consumption has increased over the years. Still love a good Hornitos con jugo de toronja fresca with a pinch of salt, though. We are getting great grapefruit and grapefruit juice over here right now.

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by Hook]

woody with a view - 12-26-2009 at 07:39 PM

hey Hook

check out the Hornitos Anejo. it is a little more smoooove than the green label....

BTW, the green label is my second fave, after Sauza Commemorative Anejo for sips. +/- $20 on sale at Ralphs/Vons/BevMo....

100_5377.jpg - 44kB

Once you try this one, you will never go back to others.

JESSE - 12-26-2009 at 10:57 PM

Iflyfish - 12-26-2009 at 11:22 PM

Thanks for the tip Jesse.
Iflyfishsippingernejo

tripledigitken - 12-27-2009 at 01:07 AM

Theres a good reason many of the Anejo's taste like whiskey. Many are aged in used Whiskey Barrels which impart the taste and color. Some actually age their Tequilas in used Jack Daniels oak barrels.

I prefer the purer taste of Reposados and Platos.

Ken

duke62 - 12-27-2009 at 01:41 AM

Did some research after mi esposa bought the Costco bottle. It is from the same plant in Tequila, Mexico, that has the overpriced tequila in pretty earthnenware jugs (With an Agave plant on it. Tenoq?). Did a blind taste test, the Costco won.... Over Don Julio

wessongroup - 12-27-2009 at 08:01 AM

Hey Gull, is that Costco brand the new one that one does not get hangovers from that I have heard so much about.. :):)

Diver - 12-27-2009 at 08:07 AM

The Costco "Perfect" Marguarita;

1 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 1/4 oz Cointreau
1 1/2 oz Kirkland tequila
Salt rim, pour over ice, add
1 oz Grand Marnier floater

Bajajorge - 12-27-2009 at 09:55 AM

:?::?:Why wreck a good Anejo tequila by making it into a margarita???? Margaritas are made by mixing some US supermarket brand, something like Cuervo.

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-27-2009 at 10:28 AM

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

mescal and tequila

wessongroup - 12-27-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8

good job, the last time I remember drinking that stuff... we ended up walking barefoot in the coals of the campfire... no mas .... still gives me shivers to taste it.. worm or no...

but then I have always been a sissy when it came to the hard stuff:):)

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by BajaNomad]

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 10:52 AM

Why mix an Anejo in a Marguarita? Because I can!

Thanks Diver, I will hoist one of these today in your honor! Salud!

These are the good old days!

IflyfishanddrinkmytequilaanydamnwayIwantitatthisageandstageIdeserve!

Hook - 12-27-2009 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
The Costco "Perfect" Marguarita;

1 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 1/4 oz Cointreau
1 1/2 oz Kirkland tequila
Salt rim, pour over ice, add
1 oz Grand Marnier floater

Man, if they would only offer THIS with a hot dog or a slice of pizza.

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 10:54 AM

Mescal is just tequila that is made from agave that is not grown in Jalisco. It can be made from agave other than the traditional Blue Agave. It can be delicious. The worm can turn on you as has been previously posted. Stay away from hot coals when drinking mescal.

Iflyfish

wessongroup - 12-27-2009 at 11:35 AM

with age comes wisdom.. some times:):)

Bajahowodd - 12-27-2009 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Mescal is just tequila that is made from agave that is not grown in Jalisco. It can be made from agave other than the traditional Blue Agave. It can be delicious. The worm can turn on you as has been previously posted. Stay away from hot coals when drinking mescal.

Iflyfish

Mezcal is primarily made from Oaxacan agave. And, one of the major differences between tequila and mezcal is that tequila is distilled twice, mezcal only once.

Anyone have any thoughts on pulque?

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by Bajahowodd]

wessongroup - 12-27-2009 at 12:50 PM

Never tried it... has anyone?

DENNIS - 12-27-2009 at 01:03 PM

Pulque is undistilled and most of it tastes like sewage. There are exceptions that have better care and taste a bit better....not much.

This place has it:

http://www.nextstop.com/p/9UR9qXL5Mys/el-taco-de-huitzilopoc...

As far as Mezcal goes, Just Google it and you'll see some fine sites represented as producers. In my younger days, we'd start campfires with the stuff available then. It was like the Pabst Blue Ribbon of Mexican distilled spirits.

wessongroup - 12-27-2009 at 01:07 PM

Was never one to question where "hooch" came from, only will it make me blind... on leave with some guys down in GA... drinking some of their "shine"... don't know if it was the "purity" or the "proof".. but, had a hard time seeing the next day...:):)

Bajahowodd - 12-27-2009 at 01:33 PM

Pulque may not be distilled, but it is fermented. It has had a semi-religious aura attached to it dating back to before the Europeans came to Mexico. It has about the same alcohol content as beer, and was basically replaced by beer after the Europeans arrived. For anyone NOB who may wish to partake of it, believe it or not, the 99 Cent store chain carries it flavored with various fruits.

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 06:17 PM

Here is probably my all time favorite Tequila. Still made the old fashioned way.

http://www.tequilasieteleguas.com.mx/

Check the link for some fascinating history and info on tequila and if you ever get a chance to try 7 Lequas, do so, you are in for a treat.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 06:19 PM

Now, for a very good Mescal:

http://www.tequilamescal.com/raicilla.htm

Delicious!

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 06:25 PM

I have had pulque in the back country and some of it is sweet, low alcohol. Since mostly home made it can be nasty. The old pulquerias were male only establishments and I wish someone had documented the great murals to be found in these places....lo siento mucho. I found them at the end of their lives and they were pretty taudry places.

Pulque has a long and colorful history in Mexico. Quetzquatle is said to have left Mexico in shame after trying to seduce his daughter while drunk on Pulque. Many have reported hallucinogenic effects from pulque. I don't know if this is true or not, absenthe has a similar lore about it.

Iflyfishswayingtomyagavemuse

Iflyfish - 12-27-2009 at 06:28 PM

More on Pulque:

http://www.tequilamescal.com/pulque.htm

Iflyfish

DENNIS - 12-27-2009 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Quetzquatle is said to have left Mexico in shame after trying to seduce his daughter while drunk on Pulque.

Good thing he didn't nail her. Can you imagine how the Mexican drivers would be if he did?
It's all about the gene pool.

msteve1014 - 12-27-2009 at 08:54 PM

Getting back to the main topic. That is some good chit for $24. Feliz navidad.

wessongroup - 12-28-2009 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Why mix an Anejo in a Marguarita? Because I can!

Thanks Diver, I will hoist one of these today in your honor! Salud!

These are the good old days!

IflyfishanddrinkmytequilaanydamnwayIwantitatthisageandstageIdeserve!

ditto's

The Gull - 12-28-2009 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Hey Gull, is that Costco brand the new one that one does not get hangovers from that I have heard so much about.. :):)

Absolutely, imagine this stuff is equivalent to paying $18 for the standard 750ml bottles of whatever you guys normally drink. Cabo Wabo, Tres Generaciones, Hornitos and Commemorativo are all higher priced when you consider the size of the container.

Jesse, I will try the Partida. Is it better than Penca Azul Reposado? I liked the Partida website for the recipe for Sangrita.

http://www.partidatequila.com/html/products/partida_entertai...

Bajahowodd - 12-28-2009 at 11:55 AM

Anyone recall what that stuff is in the beehive shaped container that I see on store shelves selling real cheap?

tripledigitken - 12-28-2009 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Best priced premium Tequila is Partida reposado, its 40 bucks but tastes like premium 100us a bottle Tequila.

We went to a Tequila tasting back in 2007 and after sampling over a dozen, Partida was our pick regardless of price.

Ken

The Gull - 12-28-2009 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Anyone recall what that stuff is in the beehive shaped container that I see on store shelves selling real cheap?

Death

Bajahowodd - 12-28-2009 at 04:37 PM

But, you can't beat the price!:lol:

wessongroup - 12-28-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
But, you can't beat the price!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

wessongroup - 12-28-2009 at 05:35 PM

Iflyfish, the links were all great... now you have gotten my interest on the all three... could be, I should re-visit these beverages once again... 41 years latter.

Maybe at this point in my life, I wouldn't drink a quart of something and dance in the fire.. rather, slowly slip a well balanced and aged product of excellent quality.

Something, that never came to mind while in my mid 20's sitting in the dirt around a campfire with 8 others all trying to get so drunk they couldn't walk.. each taking swigs, telling the other "mines down do here" .....

thanks Wiley

salsa en polvo

wessongroup - 1-28-2010 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by audiobaja
Eh, just take some cheap white tequila, drop in some olive juice and a few olives, shake it over ice, drain. Sprinkle in a bit of salsa en polvo. Delicious. No need for fancy tequilas.

Hey audio what is salsa en polvo? did a google translation said sauce powder?

Bajajorge - 1-28-2010 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Eh, just take some cheap white tequila, drop in some olive juice and a few olives, shake it over ice, drain. Sprinkle in a bit of salsa en polvo. Delicious. No need for fancy tequilas.

Why does everybody insist on wrecking any good tequila by adding all kinds of junk?:?: Straight shooters or over ice. Very good.:spingrin:

Martyman - 1-28-2010 at 10:43 AM

Just picked up my third and fourth bottle of the Kirkland. It is excellent!

wessongroup - 1-28-2010 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Quote:

Why does everybody insist on wrecking any good tequila by adding all kinds of junk?:?: Straight shooters or over ice. Very good.:spingrin:

After the third shot, it all tastes like water.. to me.. that was my big problem when I USED to drink the stuff.. it goes down so easy after the first few.. was never one to sip, and didn't like fruit, umbrella's, or anything else with my "shot" might have a beer with it.. and that would make it even worse...

I don't even like to think about it.. it wasn't pretty:):)

Udo - 1-28-2010 at 04:22 PM

Last week I finally had the opportunity to buy the Kirkland tequila at Costco.

Man was it great!

It had a very close resemblance to Don Julio Aņejo, which is about twice the price.

David K - 1-28-2010 at 04:42 PM

Speaking of Costco brnd booze... Is it true Costco (Kirkland) Vodka is GREY GOOSE?

sanfelipebob - 1-28-2010 at 05:38 PM

Yes it is Grey Goose.

torch - 1-31-2010 at 03:11 PM

do they sell a blanco or silver version of the kirkland anejo?

Udo - 1-31-2010 at 03:37 PM

That would be a question for COSTCO.:?:

All that we have reviewed is the aņejo.

wessongroup - 1-31-2010 at 04:06 PM

Udo, I don't have a life, but I have given my reasons.. was just crusing this board, just looking at "subjects" and who's name is out to the side, a lot like many reading this right now...

Think was, and maybe I'm totaly wrong, but you seem to be "circling" the "booze" threads, and you have one hell of a lot of knowledge :lol::lol:

Don't get me wrong, I would be drinking right now IF could.. but, I'm on so much meds.. and each one states clearly that I'm NOT suppoed to drink alcohol with any of these med's

But, I'm getting off my observation.. you and booze... what the hell do you do, man you sound like you are having one hell good time in life.. you and your wife.. and good for you both.

But, again.. how have you gained all this knowledge, PLEASE share with us :lol::lol::lol:

Just an old man looking at the Baja Nomads bulletin board.. have a good one

Wiley