BajaNomad

Missing Sailboat traveling from Cabo north

bajafly - 1-2-2010 at 04:59 PM

Missing Sailboat traveling from Cabo north along the west coast of Baja should be in the Magdalena Bay area

Michael Joyce sailing a Catalina 36 named Interlude who fueled in Cabo marina on Dec 29.

He has not been in contact since that date and we are seeking any information you may be able to provide about him. Even the time he left the fuel dock would be helpful.

Thanks for everyones help

Gary Graham
bajafly@bajafly.com

[Edited on 1-3-2010 by bajafly]

shari - 1-2-2010 at 06:55 PM

How do you know he is missing??
I shall contact other cruisers to keep a sharp eye out and ask any northbounders for any info.

gnukid - 1-2-2010 at 07:56 PM

Can you give em a chance, its been like 3 days, they are heading north against the wind with no wifi.

Gaucho - 1-2-2010 at 08:03 PM

I would say it's a little early to panic but if he has a single side band (which he should) that would be your best bet to reach him at sea.

DianaT - 1-2-2010 at 08:05 PM

If you are very concerned, you might check with the local fishing co-ops and ask if they have seen anything.

Good luck and I hope you hear soon

Jack Swords - 1-3-2010 at 08:00 AM

There are many boats on the Pacific side of Baja coming and going. Most have SSB radios and can report boats they have seen at anchorage etc. Find a ham operator and get on the Chubasco Net on 7294 mHz LSB at 8:30 MST daily. There is a health and welfare section that will inform boaters of your concern. Most boaters use this net as they travel.

capt. mike - 1-3-2010 at 11:28 AM

does he not have a sat phone?
or an eperb?

shari - 1-3-2010 at 02:07 PM

just got a report that he fueled up in mag bay on Dec.30th...was there a half hour and in a big hurry to get north...and another report that he also took on fuel in Turtle Bay so sounds like he's OK and just speeding north taking advantage of this great weather window and hasnt gone ashore to email or anything....rascal.

Gaucho - 1-3-2010 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
just got a report that he fueled up in mag bay on Dec.30th...was there a half hour and in a big hurry to get north...and another report that he also took on fuel in Turtle Bay so sounds like he's OK and just speeding north taking advantage of this great weather window and hasnt gone ashore to email or anything....rascal.

He's smart to travel quickly in this nice weather. I've done the Cabo/SoCal run many times and never got it good. The worst part is from Cedros Island > north.

bajafly - 1-4-2010 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the input and concern

Interlude
Latitude:27.67682
Longitude:-114.88865
GPS location Date/Time:01/04/2010 06:42:47 PST

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q...
Message:All is well on Interlude. Track our progress at google maps.

[Edited on 1-4-2010 by BajaNomad]