BajaNomad

Surf Fishing for Roosters

Russ - 1-3-2010 at 06:25 AM

Want to get pumped on surf fishing for roosters? Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA39kTM7ots

Iflyfish - 1-3-2010 at 08:04 AM

Whoa!! Didn't think I was going fishing this morning. Thanks for this great link.

Iflyfish

dtbushpilot - 1-3-2010 at 08:12 AM

Wow, that's just sick. Loved the way they would surf down the wave after the lure.....dt

Pescador - 1-3-2010 at 08:32 AM

Thanks Russ, that is way better than a cappucino to get the blood pumping on a windy and otherwise unfishable day.

Great surf-fisher's video, Russ.

Pompano - 1-3-2010 at 09:13 AM

And perfect timing for me to watch it...I'm just finishing breakfast and will soon be ready for some serious tackle shopping. Am off today to a few places like Fisherman's Landing, Squidco, Big 5, and Hook-Line-N-Sinker here in Shelter Island, San Diego.

This is my day and week ahead for using a great Christmas gift to buy everything from circle hooks to rod butts. A couple new trolling & casting rods and reels will help fill my stocking, along with a gunnel flillet board and barbeque for the Cortez camping boat.

Can't wait until those roosters hit Bean Rocks again this coming March-April.

Rooster flashback. Ah..those pez gallo at Punta Chivato back in the day..

3 of us oldtimers..Me, Bill Alvarado, and George Staples used to keep our surf rods at the ready just below the hotel steps. When you heard someone yell...ROOSTERS!...off you went to grab your rig out of the pvc pipes and pitch your favorite lure into those tall dorsal fins slicing through the baitfish. We had many triple hookups over the years with a gallery cheering us on from the patio bar above.

Saul of La Palapa cafe was one of the bartenders back then, along with Pepe Piano and Nasty Nettie's hubby, Hector. One of them would always bring us cuba libres to cool us down during our battle with the roosters! You can imagine that made the event a helluva fun time after a couple c-cktails wading the shallows hooked to a huge rooster!

Man..those were some fun days!

Thanks for the fire in my belly after watching that surf movie. Now I'm pumped more than ever to return to great fishing times in the SOC.

baitcast - 1-3-2010 at 09:17 AM

My god was that fun!!!!!!! Top-water from the beach it doesn,t get any better,that heavy surf is something to remember.

Must send this to a couple of guys
Rob

wessongroup - 1-3-2010 at 09:19 AM

Just great... thanks for all fun .. :):)