BajaNomad

Four Wheel Pop Up Campers

DERN - 1-11-2010 at 10:09 AM

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these campers, be it New or Used. Used being harder, as they don't come up that often and you have to drive to BFE to get it. I've been all over their website and want the full size Grandby model. The upgrades that I would like includes the 3.0 fridge/freezer, forced air heater, mechanical jacks, screen door, yakima racks, extended cab/bigger bed cab over. With just those features, the total comes to just over 14k not including all the taxes ect.

There are quite a few more items/upgrades that I would like, but I think that I could install them myself, or just do without. Those being; Passenger side awning, ext. shower, rear and side flood lights, porta-potti, folding hook steps, solar/battery set-up. With all the other goodies, it comes to a whoppin 17k!!! Ouch!!

I know that there are a few folks on this board that have these campers. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Positive/negatives, whatever you want to throw out there, I'll take it.

I see these things all the time and think how cool and functional they are. As some of you know, having properties in Baja always amounts to being locked down to just one or two locations and always doing maintainance or chores around the house and not being able to just say, " Hey let's go camp at watchamacallit for the next few days," and always being set up ready to go. Living here in CA., just to get out of Morro Bay and head to Big Sur for the weekend is a bonus. Ditch the computer, the phone, the TV and go experience Mother Earth.

Saludos

DERN

chernefitter - 1-11-2010 at 10:37 AM

Altho I looked at these types a few years back we ended up buying a full on Lance camper, which didn't work out well for the truck we have. One thing that did stick out was how ughly the interior was due to the metal skeleton poles for the canvas pop-up. We ended up buying a vintage (85) class C MH and really love it. Of course we can't go 0ff roading with this setup. There are a ton of camping combinations out there to consider.

tripledigitken - 1-11-2010 at 11:02 AM

Dern,

Have you seen these?

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html

Ken

DENNIS - 1-11-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.

mojo_norte - 1-11-2010 at 11:13 AM

I've had 3 of these - A Grandby A Keystone (9 1/2 foot) on an F150 Longbed and Fleet model on my Toyota 4x4 PU. These were made in Colorado up until the late 80's so there many used on Craigslist in summer - prices range from Free to maybe $2k for real nice one. So you might consider driving out here. The big problem with the old ones is that the lift systems which are plywood panels tend to delaminate with age. I got a quote from where they are now made in California to replace the vinyl canvas and the lift panels - now using more durable material - for $1200- this was few years ago.
If you have a half ton truck these are good because they are light. Most of the Full size overheads and alot of the popups are too heavy for a 1/2 ton when you add in all your baja gear. The thing I don't like is that with alot of gear on the roof it's quite difficult to pop the top plus the lift has a load range- a problem if you moving around alot day to day - like driving down the coast.

GC - 1-11-2010 at 11:47 AM

Dern, I too looked at 4-Wheel Campers before I found my used Northstar. The solar is easy to install, but you might want them to pre-wire for it. Fred loves his external shower, and I wish I had one, but you need to make sure you get a large water tank. I think his is either 40 of 50 gal and mine is only 20. I have never seen him use his awning--we usually just use the shade of the camper and move around to stay out of the sun. Des has mounted the external lights, so no problem there. I am taking mine South for two weeks starting tomorrow, and if there is something I find that I really wish I had, I let you know. They are not cheap, but you can go anywhere with them. Cheers, George.

David A. - 1-11-2010 at 12:33 PM

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum...

Check out this forum. You will gain alot of information on popup campers and the different brand names.

On our way back in the high country, the wind was so bad it tore my enclosed awning up and over my camper. There was not much damabe but the awning was a complete loss. We did not use it much.

mojo_norte - 1-11-2010 at 12:57 PM

Yes , I would also consider other makes esp. if you are looking for amenities and extra features . My Grandby was quite spartan compared to other poptops. The other thing I didn't like about the Grandby is that the roof sits quite low when popped down covering the stove and sink. This prevents you from making a quick meal or cup of tea without popping the top. Also, the door is quite short making it necessary to stoop getting in and out. I found that a bit annoying.

toneart - 1-11-2010 at 01:04 PM

http://www.autohomeus.com/index.php
Someone sent me this link when I was inquiring.

I really want one of these!
http://velcrostrip.com/

Skipjack Joe - 1-11-2010 at 01:15 PM

- I couldn't find a good used one, had to buy new

- Mine is a bit cramped but the Grandby should be adequate. you learn to adjust.

- They have a warehouse in Riverside so perhaps you can drop by and sit in one for awhile. They're always at sportman's shows so that's another place to experience them.

- 3 years now without any major problems. (1) the stove and sink must have some low quality metal 'cause they're showing signs of rust. (2) the overhead lights are getting flaky (but if you open and close the sink panel they come one :lol:).

- I understand that you can buy the basic poptop shell for $5K. Money could be saved if you installed all of the appliances yourself.

- I have no appliances. Use icebox instead of frig (ribeye steak went bad recently :barf:. Coyotes were happy). Turn on the stove burner just a tad with an open vent for heat. Don't laugh. Don't even have auxiliary battery.

P.S. The burner stove as heating is only used in the evening while awake. It's turned off after we get into sleeping bags. Even though these campers have all sorts of alarms that go off due to high carbon monoxide levels I never rely on any of that stuff when it comes to safety.

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Sunman - 1-11-2010 at 01:17 PM

I've got one and love it. Finding a used one with everything you want may be tough but you can do alot of add ons yourself with exception of adding the out door shower. A sun shower still works fine for me.

You best bets for buying used are checking out:

usedfourwheelcampers.com or craiglist.

If you find one you best move quick and have cash in hand, they don't stay on the market too long.

You can also learn anything you want to know about these campers at wanderthewest.com which is a Four Wheel Campers user group.

Skipjack Joe - 1-11-2010 at 01:21 PM

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/forum/4/

surfer jim - 1-11-2010 at 06:10 PM

Got GRANDBY...four years old now.....some very minor problems.....rear grab handle...a few loose screws....maybe some trim pieces but that is about all. Took "ice box" out last year and just got Coleman cooler . It was too small and just kept things cool at best for 2 days.

awning....nice when not windy

shower......is cold when windy !.....hot water sure feels good after surfing

heater.....just use it to warm things up at times.....maybe a BLACK CAT heater would work and save some money

screen door...yes for flies and bugs.... at night especially

lights.....come in handy when needed

artic pack.....not worth it....make something up on your own

steps...didn't get any and still having issues with tall truck

battery.....works good but limited capacity ...go with 2- 6 volts if you do your own

hot water.....sure is NICE

jacks are necessary when needed....I remove mine unless removing/installing camper (20 pounds each)

you will NOT be able to remove camper easily and drive away to explore
1/2 - 1 hour job......

lifting top....takes some muscle....must open windows...

fantastic fan....comes in handy when lowering top to pull sides in

Overall....works GREAT for BAJA !

[Edited on 1-12-2010 by surfer jim]

boe4fun - 1-11-2010 at 06:30 PM

Hola Dern, Check out the Alaskan Camper website. These things are the most bullet - proof pop ups I've come across. You can even car top an aluminum boat on them if you get one with the heavy duty hydraulic jacks inside. By the way, we're neighbors - I live in Santa Margarita!!!

805gregg - 1-11-2010 at 07:15 PM

I picked up a used Lance for 5k, in perfect condition. It's a lot more comfortable than a tent sided camper. I don't know what kind of truck you have but if it's a Toyota, it won't even hold a pop up camper. My friend Rick put a 600# Four Wheel camper and had to put new springs all around. Then it didn't have enough power, so he had a supercharger installed, these upgrades weren't cheap. I put the 3000 lb Lance on my Dodge it just leveled it out.

elgatoloco - 1-11-2010 at 09:16 PM

We have had a Grandby since 2001. We feel it has served us very well and allowed us to go places a full sized camper can't quite get to. We are still OK with not having inside shower and just use the good old sun shower or heat some water on the stove if needed. We thought about an awning but we went with EZ-UP for versatility because you can move the shade around. We have the 12,000 BTU heater and use it sparingly but it has come in handy when camped in higher elevations or after a surf session in February. The screen door is essential as mentioned for bug defense. We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out. Doing so precludes one from utilizing jacks as they don't go high enough to clear top of same. I can still lift top with two kayaks and a surfboard on it but it seems to get a bit heavier every year, maybe I need some smaller kayaks? I have one friend who utilizes a power drill to operate a device that raises the roof. Just make sure drill is charged. We have a fan over the bed area and it is nice because it's reversible and helps with airflow. The fridge is handy when you are on a long trip but we always have at least one ice chest for beverages and snack. We put stuff in the fridge that we don't need as much because frequent opening makes it harder to keep stuff cold. We like having the outside lights for those moonless nights on the beach. We have had our share of loose screws here and there but considering the roads and the speeds traveled that is not surprising, viva locktight! My chef has me bring a two burner Coleman stove these days so she does not have to always be inside cooking while I am outside tending the beer cooler/campfire/bocce ball tournament but it's nice to be able to cook inside when it's cold and or windy. We started camping in Baja out of the back of a pickup with a tent and then moved to a Callen shell and when we moved to the 4Wheel we had to pare down what we brought with us and that was a good thing because there were things we hauled down for years in the other setups just because we had the room but never actually used them. Plenty of storage under the seats for all the necessary stuff. We can pop the top and be setup in a matter of minutes and breaking camp is just as easy. We have had numerous trips both south and north of the border where we slept in/near/on a different spot/beach/forest/lake/river/canyon every night over a week or two. The one thing I would change is the flourescent light over the stove/sink area, it attracts bugs and uses too much juice. Over the couch/bed area we have a two stage incandescent light so if you want to read you can turn it up or not.

If you want we can make arrangements and you can "test camp" ours! :dudette:

Skipjack Joe - 1-11-2010 at 09:35 PM

The low profile has many benefits - and not all have to do with economy. Here's a lake in BC we probably couldn't have reached with a cabover camper. Lots of rainbows back there.

BC.jpg - 49kB

back road

elgatoloco - 1-11-2010 at 09:42 PM

truck.jpg - 41kB

Mateo!!!

DERN - 1-11-2010 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
We have had a Grandby since 2001. We feel it has served us very well and allowed us to go places a full sized camper can't quite get to. We are still OK with not having inside shower and just use the good old sun shower or heat some water on the stove if needed. We thought about an awning but we went with EZ-UP for versatility because you can move the shade around. We have the 12,000 BTU heater and use it sparingly but it has come in handy when camped in higher elevations or after a surf session in February. The screen door is essential as mentioned for bug defense. We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out. Doing so precludes one from utilizing jacks as they don't go high enough to clear top of same. I can still lift top with two kayaks and a surfboard on it but it seems to get a bit heavier every year, maybe I need some smaller kayaks? I have one friend who utilizes a power drill to operate a device that raises the roof. Just make sure drill is charged. We have a fan over the bed area and it is nice because it's reversible and helps with airflow. The fridge is handy when you are on a long trip but we always have at least one ice chest for beverages and snack. We put stuff in the fridge that we don't need as much because frequent opening makes it harder to keep stuff cold. We like having the outside lights for those moonless nights on the beach. We have had our share of loose screws here and there but considering the roads and the speeds traveled that is not surprising, viva locktight! My chef has me bring a two burner Coleman stove these days so she does not have to always be inside cooking while I am outside tending the beer cooler/campfire/bocce ball tournament but it's nice to be able to cook inside when it's cold and or windy. We started camping in Baja out of the back of a pickup with a tent and then moved to a Callen shell and when we moved to the 4Wheel we had to pare down what we brought with us and that was a good thing because there were things we hauled down for years in the other setups just because we had the room but never actually used them. Plenty of storage under the seats for all the necessary stuff. We can pop the top and be setup in a matter of minutes and breaking camp is just as easy. We have had numerous trips both south and north of the border where we slept in/near/on a different spot/beach/forest/lake/river/canyon every night over a week or two. The one thing I would change is the flourescent light over the stove/sink area, it attracts bugs and uses too much juice. Over the couch/bed area we have a two stage incandescent light so if you want to read you can turn it up or not.

If you want we can make arrangements and you can "test camp" ours! :dudette:

It's late tonight. I have a list of replies for everyone. Thanks for the input. We'll all catch up "en la manana."

Matt, you and Barb are my inspiration when it comes to these campers. Hope this doesn't seem too sappy. Talk to everyone tomorrow.

DERN

DERN - 1-11-2010 at 09:49 PM

Great fotos. I'd like to see more of them in Baja.

Dern

Sunman - 1-11-2010 at 10:36 PM

Some pics attached for you Dern:

[Edited on 1-12-2010 by Sunman]

David K - 1-11-2010 at 10:51 PM

What a nice Baja rig!!!:bounce:

Skipjack Joe - 1-11-2010 at 11:32 PM

Lots of nice images, Sunman. The last being my favorite. Also like #3 an awful lot.

woody with a view - 1-12-2010 at 07:13 AM

DERN

my buddy has a 2001 Northstar TS100 with every extra. in/out shower, awning, heat/air................and more. it's like new. my work computer wont allow my to resize fotos but gimme a u2u and i'll put you in touch. he asks $6000 OBO.

mojo_norte - 1-12-2010 at 07:58 AM

Nice rig Sunman! Is that a Grandby or Fleet model?

I like the Kelty Cabana idea also.

Paulina - 1-12-2010 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out.

Mateo,

I would like to have one of those handy dandy elevators too. Maybe you can work your magic on him...

Love to your favorite Chef,

P<*)))>{

Sunman - 1-12-2010 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Nice rig Sunman! Is that a Grandby or Fleet model?

I like the Kelty Cabana idea also.

Mojo,
It's a Hawk model. The Kelty works great for me as I do a fair amount of non-Baja bushwhacking and i think the stock awning might present a problem for me there. Thanks all for the compliments.

SBSRF - 1-12-2010 at 08:49 AM

Had mine since 2001, love it. I've done some pretty ugly off-roading with it fully loaded and not 1 problem.

pop ups

stimbo - 1-12-2010 at 09:33 AM

I've had this Northstar for many years. It has been great, however, if you plan on much rough off-roading, the 4 Wheel Pop Up may be better, as it is lighter in weight. Enjoy your camper search. Jim

tripledigitken - 1-12-2010 at 09:50 AM

Stimbo,

Do you know the weight of your camper loaded? Nice photo!

Ken

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Dern,

Have you seen these?

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html

Ken

Yes. I've seen them in the past. Way cool. I have a Vietnam era trailer that I love. With a few modifications, it holds my quad perfectly. When I/we(Paulina) go out into the sticks, it's nice to have the toy and a few extra supplies. I.E. fuel, water, beer etc. When it's time for dinner or bedding down, the camper is the better option for us.

DERN

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.

Gotcha on that one. Leaning towards lots of baby wipes and a solar shower.

I've been trying to group all these quotes into one big post, but with my limited computer skills I'm having a heck of a time.

DERN

David A. - 1-12-2010 at 10:31 AM

Here is a Granby for 6500 in SD.

:tumble:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/1547735845.html

Skipjack Joe - 1-12-2010 at 10:40 AM

Sunman,

Is that "awning" a Kelty Cabana or a Kelty Carport Shelter?

I did some research on the internet and it appears to be used primarily as a wind shelter. How effective is it doing that? I see lots of openings on bottom and side. It would be nice to have something like that on the pacific side.

Could be used for shade on the Cortez side. Cooking inside in the heat can be too much in the summer.

Martyman - 1-12-2010 at 11:32 AM

Seems like a lot of $$$'s for a little camper.

On a 4WD Tundra doublecab

TacoFeliz - 1-12-2010 at 11:37 AM

70k miles and five years down the road. The 4Wheel camper has been all over the Sierras, eastern Mojave and Baja. I love it! Bought it lightly used.

The hold downs pulled out from the plywood on the first Baja trip, I filled the holes, put 4 by 8 inch by .25 inch stainless backing plates and some used bronze boat turnbuckles ($10 apiece) in to replace the dime-store hold-downs that came with the camper and have never had a problem since.

I've replaced the little screws that were used to hold the seat bench together with loctited bolts after the screws backed out for the 50th time. Nothing else has broken or worn out.

Don't count on using the roof to hold anything on racks unless you want to unload it every time you put the roof up (insert funny hernia story here).

Anyway, great camper, few teeny issues, very strong. Don't bolt through the floor to hold it to the truck bed. Beef up the stock hold-downs. Have a beer and a fish taco.

Sunman - 1-12-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Sunman,

I did some research on the internet and it appears to be used primarily as a wind shelter. How effective is it doing that? I see lots of openings on bottom and side. It would be nice to have something like that on the pacific side.

Could be used for shade on the Cortez side. Cooking inside in the heat can be too much in the summer.

Skipjack,
Yes, it is a Kelty Carport "Medium". It works ok for wind but is not completely enclosed on either end. The Carport "Deluxe" model however does close off on the ends and is probably better for that use if all corners are staked down. I saw a guy with one attached to his Landcruiser over X-mas and New years and it seemed to be working well for them. The good thing about it is that it packs up to the size of a small backpacking tent.

Replies

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 11:48 AM

Mojo Norte,

We have a full size F350. Million and a half ton truck. I've checked out a few older Grandby models and they just seem too outdated for me. Also the element of delamination and dryrot is an issue that I would just assume avoid.

In regards to the load range, they state 1000lbs for the new models and have some sort of lift assist. For me, it would be just a few surfboards, everyones favorite Broom Sweeper and a kayak. What are we talkin? 300lbs?

Also, stopping for a quick snack or coffee in the camper isn't our MO. We typically have an icechest in the truck with all the goodies. The whole crouching to not bash your forehead on the top of the door thing is a concern. I'm not too good at body space and have developed a serious calus on my forehead as a result. This could be a bonus. Four Wheel should give me a discount on my purchase.

Thanks,

DERN

GC(George)

The Northstar line is very nice. However, they are WAY too heavy for my application, even though our truck could totally handlle it. I also don't like the external tiedowns/turnbuckles. Dry weight on these things is in the 1200 lb range. I've checked out Roys next door to us many times as well as the website.

The Four Wheel model that I'm looking at (Grandby) only holds 20gal of water. That's great for just doing dishes, but to also take a shower, 20 gals goes fast.!

Pre-wiring sounds like a great idea. I'm not an expert, but installing basic solar systems as well as installing external lights is a no brainer.

Shade. I see your point on that one. Hell, I've even crawled under our truck for that one.
Have a safe trip.

DERN

David A.

As this thread has gone on, it sounds to me that the whole awning thing is a bust. I can see how they can rattle loose, blow away in the wind, fireworks landing on top of them (Ja Ja). Also, thanks for the link.

DERN

Skippy/Igor

I hear you on the whole heater deal. A clay pot upsidedown on the burner could heat the camper up quite fast. Just need to have a window cracked .

From what I gather, the Riverside showroom is closed. I've heard that they will be at the Del Mar Fred Hall Show. We've tried to see if they'll be in L.B. but no luck.

Now to the whole fridge deal. You have an icebox? Doesn't the block slop around while driving on extreme roads? How cold does it keep your food in the heat of the summer? I have a Fridge Freeze that I would like to wire into my solar camper set-up as well as have the three way fridge. What are the +/- to the ice box?

Thanks in advance,

DERN

Sunman - 1-12-2010 at 11:56 AM

The ice box sucks. I ripped mine out and turned it into a pantry for dry food storage, there is a lot of room in that space. Best thing I ever did.

If you already have a fridge, that is the way to go. I'm still looking at putting an Engle or ARB fridge in mine, which also means solar. I've seen Engle's mounted in Grandby's in the front between the end of the counter and the front camper window, it's almost a perfect fit.

mtgoat666 - 1-12-2010 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ext. shower,

DERN

you don't need an inside shower camping in the desert by the sea. use solar shower bags in the outdoors: one bag of seawater for soaping up, one half bag of fresh water for rinsing.

if you reaally want a kitchen and inside bed, then check out offroad-capable teardrop trailers -- look like more practical than pop-up campers (but what do i know? i pitch a tent or sleep under stars).

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
The ice box sucks. I ripped mine out and turned it into a pantry for dry food storage, there is a lot of room in that space. Best thing I ever did.

If you already have a fridge, that is the way to go. I'm still looking at putting an Engle or ARB fridge in mine, which also means solar. I've seen Engle's mounted in Grandby's in the front between the end of the counter and the front camper window, it's almost a perfect fit.

Kind of what I thought in regards to the icebox. I called the company last week and got the inside measurements for the hallway. My fridge freeze will slide in perfectly and butt up to the front of the camper. I'm thinking that with it in that location, it will be out of the way of daily life inside. Having an extra three way fridge is always a bounus. I would still like one as a back up or use it as just a fridge and dedicate the F.F. to just a freezer.

DERN

stimbo - 1-12-2010 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Stimbo,

Do you know the weight of your camper loaded? Nice photo!

Ken

Thanks Ken. My 15 year old daughter is at the wheel with our golden retriever riding shotgun.

As I recall, this camper weighs in at 1200 lbs. I did a retrofit for water storage. I can carry 30 gallons now. It's easy to get more water in Mexico.... and cheap. It has an external shower and water heater, but we tend to throw solar showers on the hood, let them bake for awhile, then suspend them from the Yakima racks for shower time. jim

Dr. Goat

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ext. shower,

DERN

you don't need an inside shower camping in the desert by the sea. use solar shower bags in the outdoors: one bag of seawater for soaping up, one half bag of fresh water for rinsing.

if you reaally want a kitchen and inside bed, then check out offroad-capable teardrop trailers -- look like more practical than pop-up campers (but what do i know? i pitch a tent or sleep under stars).

That was just a silly comment directed towards Dennis. I've been in the ocean all my life so to speak. I feel my cleanest when I have a huge layer of salt water crusties on me. I can go weeks like that. Camp suds are also my best friend. Good salt water bath with the suds and then a quick fresh water rinse. What else does a guy need?

Been there done that on the whole sleeping under the stars thing. I love it. You'd just have to witness what a huge involved production it is for me for us to just go and camp away from our normal haunts.

A camping trailer is out of the question. As I said in a previous post, the trailer deal is for supplies and toys only. You can't beat the fact that when you have an F350, a 700-800 lb pop-up in the bed is the way to go. Get to your spot, pop the top, throw out the astro turf, set up the simple outside kitchen(weather permiting), couple chairs and your good to go. We're talking a whole 20 minutes- ish time involved for set up and take down.

DERN

Skipjack Joe - 1-12-2010 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Now to the whole fridge deal. You have an icebox? Doesn't the block slop around while driving on extreme roads? How cold does it keep your food in the heat of the summer? I have a Fridge Freeze that I would like to wire into my solar camper set-up as well as have the three way fridge. What are the +/- to the ice box?

DERN

The icebox works for me. I buy crushed ice and cover the more important perishables both above and below. In the summer I get 1-2 days out of it, in the winter 3-4 days. I had a 3 way fridge in the old cabover and it required frequent maintenance. In addition, my camper is small and I don't want some of the storage taken up with accessories.

Unlike many, I don't like tinkering with the camper (adding here and adjusting there). I just got something basic with few parts that can go wrong. Fans, heaters - all that is superfluous at this time. The screen door is a must, though.

BTW, if you buy them at the shows they give you some sort of discount. I can't remember any more. But I think I saved about $1000 by doing that.

Paulina is not going to be happy climbing up to that door. I have that step thing exactly like sunman's and it really helps. One time at Asuncion I was feeling a bit tipsy when I stepped out and put a gash in my left ankle that turned purple and later a putrid yellow green color. That was before the step.

People often ask about the door height but it has had no effect on us whatsoever. The reason is that you naturally bent over as you step down or climb in. We climb into our camper, not walk in.

I am amazed at the amount of stuff on sunman's roof. Not that I couldn't lift them (:cool:) but that those plywood panels can support that weight, especially in the wind. But the people at 4 Wheel claim that it's doable.

Prior to purchasing I was warned about the difficulty of lifting that roof but have never experienced that. We take 10 minute breaks on the highway and lift the roof for a snack of tea and bodillas.

Paulina - 1-12-2010 at 02:30 PM

I think that Dern was digging on the point breaks in the baja photos as well as checking out the campers!;)

I have a feeling that Dern is on a mission with this one.

P<*)))>{

bajarich - 1-12-2010 at 03:27 PM

I bought the Shell Model back in 1998, and have made 8 trips to Baja with it since then and will be leaving next Tuesday for another one. The Shell Model is much cheaper and you can set it up the way you want it. Mine is a Ranger size because I first put it on a Dodge Durango. It outlasted the truck. Now it is on a Ram 2500, but the truck doesn't know it. In my opinion it is a great rig for Baja, not without some problems, but much better for pounding around in than any other camper I know.

The Alaskans are way heavy and way pricey.
Rich

jahImpala3 - 1-12-2010 at 03:44 PM

Check this link out. It's a pick-up with a utility bed and pop-up camper. This is eventually the set up I want to make for traveling in Baja and other places. The utility bed gives you quite a bit of extra storage.

http://www.earthroamer.com/tab_aboutus/about_history.html

Curt63 - 1-12-2010 at 04:56 PM

Not a quick set up, but here's a pretty bonus rig with hardcore offroad capability

Steve's Bajataco

msteve1014 - 1-12-2010 at 05:26 PM

I have a 1991 Hallmark 8.5 that we bought in 93. A little longer, wider and more water, bigger frig. and range than a 4 wheel. Nice when you have 3 people in it. Great for 1 guy hunting, with all the stuff you bring. I also have the ARB freezer, and love it, but you need 150 watts of panels, and batteries, to keep it going. More stuff to haul in the little camper. We could never find a pop up in Ca., in 1993. We went to Denver. Drove all night, got the paper on Saturday and looked at the adds at a Dennys in the morning. There were 20 used pop ups for sale. Bought this camper and took 2 weeks driving back in September, a great time to be in the Rockies, great trip for the family.

Thanks

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 06:47 PM

Sunman, Elgatoloco, Surferjim,

Thanks for all the input. I have come to the conclusion that this is the camper for me. I just have to weigh my options as to what is an absolut must. I can live without most of the foofy options or do it myself. Silly things like awnings, flood lights, steps , battery system and the like I can deal with in the future.

BTW, nice pics of the secret surf spots.:saint:

DERN

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by DERN]

elgatoloco - 1-12-2010 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out.

Mateo,

I would like to have one of those handy dandy elevators too. Maybe you can work your magic on him...

Love to your favorite Chef,

P<*)))>{

I can set you up! Just let me know. :dudette:

My favorite Chef says "Right back at ya!" :yes:

Go Dern Go!! :biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 1-12-2010 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

I have a feeling that Dern is on a mission with this one.

P<*)))>{

Dern right! ;D

Sunman

DERN - 1-12-2010 at 09:15 PM

Sunman

Hey, I noticed in your photos that you have a louvered passenger side window. Is that standard? I can't find the option on the F.W. website. How does it hold up in all the off road conditions? We have a few of those on our trailer in Bahia that always stays in its little spot and they constantly have issues in regards to wind/dirt coming in, as well as the cranks being cranky. Seems to me that a slider would be more practical. Has that become an issue for you?

DERN

Sunman - 1-12-2010 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Sunman

Hey, I noticed in your photos that you have a louvered passenger side window. Is that standard? I can't find the option on the F.W. website. How does it hold up in all the off road conditions? We have a few of those on our trailer in Bahia that always stays in its little spot and they constantly have issues in regards to wind/dirt coming in, as well as the cranks being cranky. Seems to me that a slider would be more practical. Has that become an issue for you?

DERN

Dern,
Yes the louvered windows are standard. They actually used to use sliders on the older models, I'm not sure why they changed. No issues with them on my end, if there were any i'm sure i wouild have heard about it on the WTW forum. The handle is a round twist knob and when it's closed it stays closed.

Agree the slider seems more practical. Maybe they had issues with dust building up and they were hard to open?? They must have changed the design for a reason.

offshore_day - 1-12-2010 at 10:45 PM

Have had a Grandby for 13 yrs, it is great for Baja. It may be spartan compared to others but is very functional and lighter than other brands. I luckily got mine used but it was fully loaded, dual roof vent (one with power), 3 way refer, screen door, closet with vanity, 2nd cabinet, heater (don't really need this). I put on the awning, and moved the auxiiary battery inside the under seat storage for maintenance and access. For some reason they put the battery in the truck bed in front of the wheel well making it impossible to get at without removing the camper. My awning has taken quite a bit of abuse over the years and when it finally breaks, will probably rig up something like the one in pictures shown previously in this post. Solar hookup and wiring to truck electrical is easy, find a "hot" wire that is active when the motor is running to charge the aux battery and to run the 12V function on the 3 way refer. But make sure you put an isolator switch in to prevent the aux battery from draining the truck battery in case of a short. For me, a 3 way refer, stove and screen door are the only real essentials. The best thing I did was get a custom rear bumper rack made that holds 2 gas cans, 4 water cans and my small gas grill. Outdoor shower, look at Paha-que tents, very sturdy and easy setup and use sunshower or even Zodi heater if you wish. I originally had it on a F150, but felt I was maxing it out when loaded down with gear and extra water for prolonged trips to remote areas. Have just recently put it on a F250, but haven't been out with it yet. Good luck and happy trails.

bajasunrise.jpg - 34kB

offshore_day - 1-12-2010 at 10:48 PM

you also should check these:

https://www.allterraincampers.com/home.html

4X4 Pop up For Sale

pangamadness - 1-13-2010 at 03:33 AM

Dern, I have an older model Grandby for sale. If your interested? I have 2 and need to sell one.

4x4 pop post 2.jpg - 34kB

wessongroup - 1-13-2010 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
Hola Dern, Check out the Alaskan Camper website. These things are the most bullet - proof pop ups I've come across. You can even car top an aluminum boat on them if you get one with the heavy duty hydraulic jacks inside. By the way, we're neighbors - I live in Santa Margarita!!!

Alaskan Camper, always wanted one of these..

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by wessongroup]

oladulce - 1-13-2010 at 02:43 PM

my pop up input-

4 wheels:
pros:
1. Windows surrounding the bed make it feel like you're sleeping outside. We had 12 volt fans on each side of the bed for hot summer nights.
2. Fewer gadgets=fewer things to break.
3. That silly foam mattress on a piece of plywood was the most comfortable bed we've ever had!

cons:
1. Fewer gadgets= fewer creature comforts (at least on the 1988 Gradby we had). I was happy to have a porta-potty and fridge back then.)
2. The straps for the roll up windows wicked rain water and the bed would get wet.

The 2 of us could lift the top with 3 boards on top but the kayaks always had to come off first. I made a screen that velcroed on to the back door frame- you've gotta have a screen on the back.

Skamper pop up-

A little heavier (aluminum frame rather than the wood frame of the 4 wheel). Hand crank mechanism was much easier to lift the top than the manual 4 wheel Hernia mechanism.

Desginated potty closet and black/grey water systems.

Fewer windows around the bed but better system so windows didn't leak.

We could leave the Skamper popped-up in most storm conditions, but had to secure the frame of the 4 wheel to leave it up in high winds.

We enjoyed both pop ups and I'd say we like the Skamper better and used it til it fell apart- the frame kept cracking after offroad (gentle) driving.

We got tired of moving everything off the floor of the pop ups campers and moved on to a Lance lite which we still have. Nice to have a potty and indoor/outdoor shower.

It sounds like a simple one like a 4 wheel might be you're best bet Dern. I don't have a picture of our old one handy, but here's one of our Skamper.

wessongroup - 1-13-2010 at 03:12 PM

All you folks have setup's that are to die for in my book.. really nice rigs

Used a VW bus, Coleman ice chest, Coleman stove, took the seats out and put in a piece of plywood and a queen mattress .... everything was under neath the bed.. it worked well, but never approached what you guys are using today...

Again, really nice setup's .... really eating my heart out..

Glad you are out there doing it NOW!!

Thanks for sharing all the information and pictures.. man with these things you can get just about anywhere in comfort .....

Bajahowodd - 1-13-2010 at 03:36 PM

I believe I saw this same vehicle on the lot at the VW dealer in La Paz. Not available in the US. Looks like the ultimate travel vehicle.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/19/business/fi-neil19

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by Bajahowodd]

mojo_norte - 1-14-2010 at 07:44 AM

Here's a Grandby FS in the Denver area. 1700. looks to be a nice older model.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1545214355.html

pappy - 1-14-2010 at 10:09 AM

anybody mention outfittermfg.com? the make a really nice , aluminum framed po-up camper. comes with all the bells and whistles included( things thta four wheeler consider as "options")

For Sale

pangamadness - 1-14-2010 at 03:15 PM

For sale: While we are on the subject I have a 4x4 Wheel pop up camper Grandby for sale. Has propane frig, 2 burner stove, 10 gal water tank and sink, camper jacks, vent fan. $2000.00 or best offer. Contact webmb@att.net If you are intrested or know someone who is intrested please pass on my contact info. Thanks

for sale.JPG - 32kB

Great deal

pangamadness - 1-17-2010 at 11:48 AM

My wife can't understand why I still have two popup 4x4 campers. Doesent someone want an old seasoned 4 wheel pop up camper?

If intrested see last post.

wessongroup - 1-17-2010 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I believe I saw this same vehicle on the lot at the VW dealer in La Paz. Not available in the US. Looks like the ultimate travel vehicle.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/19/business/fi-neil19

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by Bajahowodd]

Thanks that is quite a change from the 1963 I had.. milage 28.9/43.4 and it weighs 3000 kg.. pretty good

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/california/weights-informat...

Tomas Tierra - 1-17-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
Quote:
Sunman,

Skipjack,
Yes, it is a Kelty Carport "Medium". It works ok for wind but is not completely enclosed on either end. The Carport "Deluxe" model however does close off on the ends and is probably better for that use if all corners are staked down. I saw a guy with one attached to his Landcruiser over X-mas and New years and it seemed to be working well for them. The good thing about it is that it packs up to the size of a small backpacking tent.

Kelty Car Port Delux....And a silly little overpriced camper;D

DSCN2790.JPG - 32kB

Tomas Tierra - 1-17-2010 at 02:34 PM

Car port delux up on stilts...

Dern, you won't be dissapointed in a 4 wheel camper purchase.
This is my second one. Thousands of offroad Baja miles on the first one, sold it for more than I paid after 10 years of dutiful service..

DSCN2793.JPG - 15kB

mojo_norte - 1-17-2010 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Car port delux up on stilts...

TT- how does the Kelty Carport fare on a 4.0 day at the secret windsurfing spot ??

Tomas Tierra - 1-17-2010 at 06:03 PM

It doubles as one of those hokey kite rigs.:lol::lol:.

Definately a wind sensitive rig. not bad when its all buttoned down..but up on stilts its about a 8 knot rig..pretty cool though, you can enclose a full size pickinick table under it buttoned down.

Bob and jane - 1-18-2010 at 07:28 AM

tomas tierra,
I see you have the kelty carport attached to your pop up camper. the website says you attach it to the roof-rack of your vehicle. How did you attach the carport to your camper?

Tomas Tierra - 1-18-2010 at 12:48 PM

B&J,

The buckles that hold the pop top camper down line up perfectly with the attach device on the kelty:) your only able to utilize 2 of the 3 hold-downs on the kelty, but it works just great.

TT

Bob and jane - 1-18-2010 at 02:18 PM

Thanks Tomas,
We're plotting a "deja vu" trip to the mainland for a couple of months next winter and this looks like a great option to create a little more living space for our pop up. Not to mention on our frequent shorter camping trips in Baja Sur.
Thanks again

Tomas Tierra - 1-18-2010 at 07:20 PM

great set up for mainland, the Baja breezes get to it a bit..

Skipjack Joe - 1-18-2010 at 07:48 PM

I saw these stairs used by the 4 Wheel Camper people at the Sportman's show this weekend. Getting in and out was really comfortable. Am thinking of buying them.

Anybody use them? What are their cons?

I'm thinking that their clearance may not make them suitable for baja offroading but good for everywhere else.

The 4 Wheel people don't think much of the scissor stairs they used to sell.

Dern, the new Grandby models looked real good to me. Quite a few improvements in the last 3 years.

rhs2.jpg - 5kB

Skipjack

DERN - 1-19-2010 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
I saw these stairs used by the 4 Wheel Camper people at the Sportman's show this weekend. Getting in and out was really comfortable. Am thinking of buying them.

I'm thinking that their clearance may not make them suitable for baja offroading but good for everywhere else.

Dern, the new Grandby models looked real good to me. Quite a few improvements in the last 3 years.

That's great. I'm assuming that the trade show was up north in the Sac. region. Would you mind sharing the improvements that caught your eye? Those steps look tough. It seems to me that if you're on the road, take the steps out of the receiver hitch, then when you arrive at your location put it back in. Is that how they designed it?

DERN

bajarich - 1-19-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:

I've been using them since I bought my 4-Wheel back in 1998, they are great. I just store them inside the door while traveling, never thought of driving with them in the receiver hitch. Rich

Skipjack Joe - 1-19-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
That's great. I'm assuming that the trade show was up north in the Sac. region. Would you mind sharing the improvements that caught your eye? Those steps look tough. It seems to me that if you're on the road, take the steps out of the receiver hitch, then when you arrive at your location put it back in. Is that how they designed it?

DERN

Trade show was in San Mateo.

1. The roof support is now constructed in thicker plywood, therefore sturdier.
2. There are pneumatic lifts(?)that make it easier to lift up roof and add further support when it's up.
3. The stove has been replaced with one of better quality.
4. The sink cabinet has hinged doors instead of sliding ones.
5. The seating arrangements has been changed from a bench seat to seats around the table next to window.
6. The sink has been upgraded to a better quality.

Those are some things I remember.

They're now building a hard top cabover camper also. I don't know why. There are better cabovers on the market.

Paulina - 1-19-2010 at 03:16 PM

DERN,

Nice avatar. Congratulations.

P<*)))>{

bajarich - 1-20-2010 at 09:26 AM

By adding the plywood to the roof, it probably necessitated the need for the pneumatic lifts. The bottom line is it makes the camper heavier.

I was always amazed at how light the top has been, yet strong. The only problem I ever had with the top was nothing to do with it's lightness, but rather the way they mounted the Yakama rack brackets to it back in 1998, screwed into just one of the square aircraft aluminum tubes on each side of the roof. The rocking of the camper on dirt roads with kayaks mounted on top caused a torque on the tube which eventually worked a crack in the aluminum. After talking to the factory, and finding out they wanted over $1000 to repair the roof, I mounted four 3/16" tempered aluminum plates over the cracks and spread the weight distribution to two of the aluminum tubes instead of just one. Problem solved. Now the rack is bombproof and the roof is still light weight. It sounds to me like they never fully solved the problem of how to mount Yakama racks and thus the heavy plywood.
Rich