BajaNomad

Need help on Fish I.D.

Santiago - 1-13-2010 at 09:17 AM

Here are two inshore guys I could not identify: the first one I think is a sunset wrasse but I'm stuck on the second one. They were both caught in 50-100 feet of water, jigging small irons/plastics.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Fishing in general last week at BOLA was very slow. There were huge schools of squid that the pangas fished every night; between 30 and 50 each night. The young man that did some work for me on my place fished two nights with a total of 3000 kilos. During the day, the fish trucks were loaded for shipping to Ensenada and Guadalajara.
One night a shrimp boat came into the south bay, waking us up at 3:00am. Also the military boats were out at night checking registrations of the pangas. Noisy buggers.
Rumors of one 40# white sea bass in the Remidios area. I should say that the spotted bass were out in force and a few damn barracuda were about which was kinda surprising.

David K - 1-13-2010 at 09:49 AM

Santiago, the first one is a Whitefish... Pez Blanco. See if that jives with Gene Kira's page on it: http://mexfish.com/fish/ocwht/ocwht.htm

I caught them north of Smith, years ago.

The second one looks like a type of Jack (Jack Crevalle?) Almost looks like a yellowtail, without the yellow!

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by David K]

Cardon Man - 1-13-2010 at 10:23 AM

the 2nd fish sure looks like it would be in the jack family, carangidae. Juvenille almaco or amber jack? or other?

Cardon Man - 1-13-2010 at 10:26 AM

Maybe it's a fortune jack, seriola peruana?

David K - 1-13-2010 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Maybe it's a fortune jack, seriola peruana?

I think you may have it...

Here is Gene's page on it: http://mexfish.com/fish/fortjk/fortjk.htm

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 1-13-2010 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for sharing, Santiago.

Fish pictures are so much more appealing when the fish are still alive.

baitcast - 1-13-2010 at 12:38 PM

Always did like whitefish,the other is some kind of jack for sure,I like the looks of him,maybe a small amberjack?
Rob

roundtuit - 1-13-2010 at 12:55 PM

First one is what the Mexicans call a pierna (leg) White sweet meat,after you fillet it cut out the bony center of each one. Ending up with 4 fillets

DENNIS - 1-13-2010 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Or, in a tortilla. :light:

wessongroup - 1-13-2010 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Thanks for sharing, Santiago.

Must agree, their color change is very sad.. that's why I used to toss them back, most of the time :):)

smlslikfish - 1-13-2010 at 03:58 PM

actually that 1st one is known as a "razor gilled finger slicer" by the so cal deckhands! Watch out for the back edge of the gill plates.

Pescador - 1-13-2010 at 05:28 PM

They call it a salemon on the Pacific side and the long rangers call it a whitefish and Roundtoit is right that the natives in the Baja side call it a Pierna. The second fish is called an almaco jack, not much good eating there, but the Pierna is great eating.

fishbuck - 1-13-2010 at 05:33 PM

The Whitefish is also known as " The poor mans Yellowtail". Not sure why.

GrOUper-GAr - 1-16-2010 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
The Whitefish is also known as " The poor mans Yellowtail". Not sure why.

they fight hARd, aNd aLL the way up ( not much bladder / if any?)

similar? appearance @ "color"...(kinda, i GueSs)

in the past, 3-6 pounders were noT oUt of the Question whiLe fishing the reefs (middriff area) for Yellows...

DENNIS - 1-16-2010 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrOUper-GAr

in the past, 3-6 pounders were noT oUt of the Question whiLe fishing the reefs (middriff area) for Yellows...

Hey GR....why don't you knock off the upper case/lower case crap so we can see what you want to say without having to spend time on it. It's really tiresome.

roundtuit - 1-16-2010 at 06:39 PM

The pierna seem to hang in the deep waters(250ft) along with the pintos in some of the yellowtail holes that I know of.

Mexicorn - 1-16-2010 at 07:38 PM

Great for Ceviche!

David K - 1-17-2010 at 10:09 PM

Well Santiago, are you happy with these replies... or did you find a differing set of names?:?:

GrOUper-GAr - 1-18-2010 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by GrOUper-GAr

Hey GR....why don't you knock off the upper case/lower case crap so we can see what you want to say without having to spend time on it. It's really tiresome.

pee off daddyo
(just doesnt sound as good as:)

P!sS oFF DaddY-oOO !

Mas...

Pompano - 1-18-2010 at 12:00 PM

NOT so good to eat.....even with mushroom soup!

Maybe in a Saigon cafe.