BajaNomad

Crossing the Border in San Diego :)

nailbender - 1-18-2010 at 05:56 PM

I know you here this day in and day out and answer it day in and day out, but please help. Feb 10 my daughter and I are heading to San Diego and Plan to cross on the 11th, heading to GN for some whale watching.

What is the safest route, the fast route, and even if we have to take the toll roads we don't mind. Any info would be AWESOME!!

Thank you so much :saint:

fishbuck - 1-18-2010 at 06:02 PM

Cross south at San Ysidro. It's usually very quick and easy. The only catch at Christmas was construction at the Playas exit which had things fouled up.
Cross north at Otay. Take BV 2000.
I never cross north at San Ysidro. It's just too annoying.

The Gull - 1-19-2010 at 05:18 AM

Crossing at San Ysidro is still the less miles and more civilized for those who do not cross very often. I have written before that the area around Playas de TJ is a mess, but all one has to do is read signs and drive slowly. After that, have $9.00 total ready for the 3 tolls.

David K - 1-19-2010 at 07:22 AM

This will help you cross at Tijuana and get you on the Ensenada Toll Road (Scenic Hwy.): http://www.rosaritobeachhotel.com/directions_to_rosarito.php

bajabass - 1-19-2010 at 09:50 AM

When you approach the playas, stay right to connect to the toll road. It is reversed during the construction. There are only a couple small signs that read, Ensenada-carril direchio, or Ensenada-right lane. I missed it the first time, a real pain if you don't make an immediate(illegal) u-turn to get back on the toll road on-ramp.

BajaGeoff - 1-19-2010 at 11:27 AM

When I crossed on Friday they had the left lanes coned off near Playas and you had to make a quick left to get to the toll road. Pretty simple to figure out and they had signs indicating the route.