BajaNomad

What is the true story about the road to Gonzoga?

CortezBlue - 1-19-2010 at 11:55 AM

Ok, since the weather is cool and I have some time to kill, I would like to plan a trip to Gonzoga Bay. I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 and feel that it should be more than sufficent to make the trip.

So, I hear from some folks that the road is terrible and it will take 5 hours to drive 50 miles. Other folks I talk to tell me the new road is underway and they have plowed the old road and it is in great shape.

What is the truth.

How long will it take to drive from Puertocitos to Gonzoga?

If you have been there in the past month, what are the roads like?

Do tell, do tell

BAJACAT - 1-19-2010 at 12:43 PM

i did it in 2.5 hrs back 2008, thats before the pavement started, so today should be faster, I think one of the nomads just did this trip...try search in BN.

David K - 1-19-2010 at 02:02 PM

Since I read the posts about that road and last traveled it a year ago (Jan. 2009)... I think we can believe that pavement is about 14 miles south of Puertecitos and new roadbed is already to El Huerfanito (20 miles from Puertecitos)... but you will have at least 25 miles of the 1986 graded roadbed that hasn't be scraped since 2005... and is pretty slow going.

In Sept. 2008, pavement was 2 miles past the Puertecitos jcn. and 12 months ago, the pavement was 4 miles south of Puertecitos... a mile a month is about what they are doing.

Here's a photo from Wayno a couple months ago of the pavement by Cerro Prieto volcano, south of Puertecitos about 12 miles.

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by David K]

bonanza bucko - 1-19-2010 at 03:00 PM

We drove the road from Alfonsina's to SD about a month ago. There were 28 miles of the "old road" left....about 15 miles south of Puertecitos had been paved and another 7 or so had been graded or were construction roads. "That Old Road" is still as bad a ever. There are about 13 miles of extreme washboard and another 14 or 15 miles of draws, grades and small canyons were the road is full of boulders and sharp rocks. You will not need 4X4 to drive the road but you will need a strong truck and very good tires with 3 ply side walls....the sharp rocks will shred yer basic Gringo "off road" tire.

The trip between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay will take you about 2 hours if you know how to drive "above the washboard" and about double that if you don't.

Have good trip. Take your time, enjoy the scenery which is magnificent and tell everyone else who wants to know that Gonzaga Bay is a dump, the Chupacabras will kill your goat and the Burrito Bandido will swipe your cookies.....get 'em to stay home someplace safe north of the border where only the $#@$ gummint can harm you.

motoged - 1-19-2010 at 11:27 PM

David,
You are doing well. I must say....no spelling corrections in your post:saint:

"Puertocitos to Gonzoga?"

CortezBlue - 1-20-2010 at 07:41 AM

:lol:

Refreshing

I type faster than I spell, so english or spanish, it is always spelled wrong

David K - 1-20-2010 at 08:52 AM

I teach by example Ged! :lol:

Guerrero Negro and Puertecitos are possibly the two most often mis-spelled Baja place names!

rts551 - 1-20-2010 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David,
You are doing well. I must say....no spelling corrections in your post:saint:

"Puertocitos to Gonzoga?"

Maybe because he is not flawless. from another post

"Originally posted by David K
Hi Barry, I think Ralph knows... I think he was giving DT a hard time because she used a 'secret surfer' code name for San Jacinto/ Punta Pequeña! LOL "

Later corrected without comment.

David K - 1-20-2010 at 12:05 PM

I didn't comment because I am trying to keep my post counts limited! :lol:

Yes, I used a wrong name, not a mis-spelled name. It was San Juanico and not San Jacinto (a different place). I corrected that as soon as I saw the error! :light:

I am not flawless... I am only trying to be helpful and have some happy times on Baja Nomad. I do try and correct my errors as soon as I can... like the voters in America this year!:lol::bounce::light::cool: YIPEE!!

rts551 - 1-20-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I didn't comment because I am trying to keep my post counts limited! :lol:

Yes, I used a wrong name, not a mis-spelled name. It was San Juanico and not San Jacinto (a different place). I corrected that as soon as I saw the error! :light:

I am not flawless... I am only trying to be helpful and have some happy times on Baja Nomad. I do try and correct my errors as soon as I can... like the voters in America this year!:lol::bounce::light::cool: YIPEE!!

You just can't help can you? I thought you only got political in defense of another comment?

David K - 1-20-2010 at 12:18 PM

It is hard to restrain the joy at seeing the people get their country back!

I did not mention any political party or cause... Just an analogy, nothing political mentioned.

motoged - 1-20-2010 at 02:13 PM

Quote:

Guerrero Negro and Puertecitos are possibly the two most often mis-spelled Baja place names!

David, Some years ago while motorcycling south in Baja, the military had great fun listening to me trying to pronounce "Guerrero"....

I can't roll my "r's" (but I can wiggle my arse) :lol: :lol:

The guys kept on coaching me and laughing every time I tried....a good time was had....at least I have learned how to spell it:light:

[Edited on 1-20-2010 by motoged]

David K - 1-20-2010 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

David, Some years ago while motorcycling south in Baja, the military had great fun listening to me trying to pronounce "Guerrero"....

I can't roll my "r's" (but I can wiggle my arse) :lol: :lol:

The guys kept on coaching me and laughing every time I tried....a good time was had....at least I have learned how to spell it:light:

[Edited on 1-20-2010 by motoged]

That sounds like a good cultural experience Ged... Great!

I had a similar incident with my Spanish at the short lived military checkpoint at the abandoned Tres Enriques cafe along Hwy. (1 near the El Marmol road)...

He asked me where I was coming from. I said "EL MARMOL" (like El Mar-MOL) and he couldn't understand what I was talking about... I couldn't believe he didn't know El Marmol, as the raod to it is signed and a mile away!

Well, after the third exchange... He asked me back "MAR-mol?" (vs. my "mar-MOL"). The accent mark is on the a in marmol (marble/ onyx)... Correctly spelled in Spanish: El Mármol.

The stress on the first half of the word vs. the second half not being there just souded like cat when I meant dog to this soldier. I try to be more careful with my accents now!:light:

did trip 12/26/09

alexgarreton - 1-22-2010 at 10:10 AM

it was my 1st time drive to mex. and in my new 1996p/up 454, 4x4 crew cab, and a slide in pop up camper, it took me 5hrs from puetocito to camp bufeo, 40miles, roads were ok, no rain, so no 4x4 needed, but roads were 5-10mph,, then from camp bufeo to gonzaga roads were ruffer, still no 4x4 needed, not raining, but ths took me 3hrs, from what my notes say, not sure if i went 9miles, or 39miles from camp bufeo to gas station,, got gas, bathrooms at mini mrkt were clean, just take tp.... and from there to hyway 1 at laguna chapala tee was 40miles, 3 3/4hrs,, was able to do 10-15mph,, and i drove some of the sandy roads that ran along side the washroad rocky road, my camper did well, roads were inpressive, and few cars on the road, compare to drive the 1hwy back though ensenada, that was the pits,,, i prefer the dirt road, since i live in phx az, was shorter in miles, and the beaches off the dirt roads were great to stay at. ive got photos of roads, and beaches, if interested write my email-- alexgarreton@hotmail.com, ive just joined nomad, and met many others on the camping rdtrip, that have read nomad stuff too...., hope this was helpful,, happy travels
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Ok, since the weather is cool and I have some time to kill, I would like to plan a trip to Gonzoga Bay. I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 and feel that it should be more than sufficent to make the trip.

So, I hear from some folks that the road is terrible and it will take 5 hours to drive 50 miles. Other folks I talk to tell me the new road is underway and they have plowed the old road and it is in great shape.

What is the truth.

Do tell, do tell

David K - 1-22-2010 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alexgarreton
it was my 1st time drive to mex. and in my new 1996p/up 454, 4x4 crew cab, and a slide in pop up camper, it took me 5hrs from puetocito to camp bufeo, 40miles, roads were ok, no rain, so no 4x4 needed, but roads were 5-10mph,, then from camp bufeo to gonzaga roads were ruffer, still no 4x4 needed, not raining, but ths took me 3hrs, from what my notes say, not sure if i went 9miles, or 39miles from camp bufeo to gas station,, got gas, bathrooms at mini mrkt were clean, just take tp.... and from there to hyway 1 at laguna chapala tee was 40miles, 3 3/4hrs,, was able to do 10-15mph,, and i drove some of the sandy roads that ran along side the washroad rocky road, my camper did well, roads were inpressive, and few cars on the road, compare to drive the 1hwy back though ensenada, that was the pits,,, i prefer the dirt road, since i live in phx az, was shorter in miles, and the beaches off the dirt roads were great to stay at. ive got photos of roads, and beaches, if interested write my email-- alexgarreton@hotmail.com, ive just joined nomad, and met many others on the camping rdtrip, that have read nomad stuff too...., hope this was helpful,, happy travels
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

What is the truth.

Do tell, do tell

Thanks and great to hear about your trip!

Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay is about 45 miles and Campo Bufeo's driveway is about 5 miles north of Gonzaga (Papa Fernandez road) or almost 8 miles from the Pemex. Pemex (Alfonsina's driveway/ Rancho Grande) to Laguna Chapala is about 37 miles... Coco's Corner is 13 miles from Chapala/ 24 from Gonzaga.