BajaNomad

San Felipe

alafrontera - 1-22-2010 at 10:23 AM

I am planning a trip to SF for next month with my g/f and another couple. I don't know the other guy too well yet and last night he says he wants to drag his dune buggy along. I'll admit I'm not thrilled, never been into the offroad thing and towing a buggy through Mexico doesn't really appeal to me. Still, I see it as an opportunity to learn/ experience something new so I'm going to try to make the best of it. Anything I need to know? Any kind of permits or license required? Does it need Mex insurance like I will get for the van? Does it have to meet any kind of standards? Obviously it's not "street legal", are these things even regstered with DMV? (I guess the trailer is anyway, right?)

Basically I know nothing about them and since I don't know the guy very well either I'm not releying on him to know about taking this thing to Mexico (he's never done it before). Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated by this off road novice/ noob.

I have a Chevy Astro van (AWD), is this even enough vehicle to tow this thing with?

Yea, I'm clueless here, help a nomad out will ya?

David K - 1-22-2010 at 10:26 AM

It is a free and open world down there for dune buggy's and ATVs (just don't be dumb, mufflers required... Have a great time! See my links to places around San Felipe, below (Baja Location Photos)

bajaguy - 1-22-2010 at 10:31 AM

You need to obtain Mexican insurance for the trailer and the buggy.

Contact Geoff of BajaBound Insurance....see the top of this page

David K - 1-22-2010 at 10:38 AM

Yes, anytime you are TOWING, you need the Mexican insurance to have THAT added to your policy... As for coverage of the buggy seperately... well, that's something else... As Geoff, as BajaGuy says!

chernefitter - 1-22-2010 at 08:15 PM

I think you will have a blast taking the buggy. I haven't been down for awhile but I remember a ton of off road areas, and the beaches you can run around on. Just be aware of the campos and homes in the area and respect their rights. Be sure to bring tow straps,etc in case of break down. Don't forget the cooler full of hielo and cervezas!!!!:yes:

wornout - 1-22-2010 at 08:17 PM

Have all the registrations for the van, trailer and some kind of title for the dune buggy. That is about all they are checking at the border on the way in. You shouldn't have any trouble towing the db through Mexicali.

There is a 10 mile stretch of road, that is dirt, as they are building new bridges and repaving the road in that area. This section is just before the part of Hwy 5 where Hwy 3 from Ensenada meets up, about 25 miles north of San Felipe. Last night the road was a mess due to rain but as soon as they run a grader through there it will be fine.

We go from San Felipe to El Centro about once a month and have for the last 11 years without any problems.

TMW - 1-23-2010 at 12:36 PM

Off roading can be addictive. Since 1982 I've owned 12 motorcycles and 5 ATVs. I only have 2 motorcycles and 1 ATV in the garage now and I'm the only one who rides them. Never had a buggy but I've riden in them. More into 4x4 trucks now.

alafrontera - 1-23-2010 at 12:55 PM

What I decided is that I'm going to tell this fellow if he wants to take the db it's his job to get it there. I don't want the responsibility or hassle. I'm not towing it, he can drive :P

Thanks for the info folks, I'll let you know how it comes out :cool:

bajalou - 1-23-2010 at 01:08 PM

Click on the" Valle Chico" link below on this post and you can see some of the places to explore in the desert near San Felipe.

DonBaja - 1-23-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alafrontera
What I decided is that I'm going to tell this fellow if he wants to take the db it's his job to get it there. I don't want the responsibility or hassle. I'm not towing it, he can drive :P

I was going to suggest that he pull the buggy down with his own vehicle and you can follow in yours. Since you don't really know him too well then you are not connected at the hip...
You're responsible for your stuff and he's responsible for his..less chance for any possible problemas

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by DonBaja]

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by DonBaja]

motoged - 1-24-2010 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alafrontera

Smart decision....it's a bummer when "group holidays" ruin your own:light:

alafrontera - 2-1-2010 at 02:53 PM

No longer an issue, he can't get the damned thing running :lol:

BAJACAT - 2-1-2010 at 08:00 PM

Hey, I hope he can read this , or you will be the one running:lol::lol: