BajaNomad

GM kills HUMMER (not 'green' enough)!

David K - 2-24-2010 at 06:05 PM

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/g-m-to-close-hu...

G.M. to Close Hummer After Sale Collapses
February 24, 2010, 3:57 pm

General Motors said Wednesday that it was shutting down Hummer, the brand of big sport-utility vehicles that became synonymous with the term “gas guzzler,” after a deal to sell it to a Chinese manufacturer fell apart, The New York Times’s Nick Bunkley reports from Detroit.

G.M. said only that its planned sale of Hummer to the Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Company “cannot be completed,” without giving a reason, but the $150 million deal had been stalled as the companies awaited approval from the Chinese government. G.M. had been trying to sell Hummer for a year, and struck a preliminary deal with Tengzhong last June.

The two companies had planned to close the deal by the end of January, then delayed the deadline by a month in the hopes of getting the green light from China.

“We have since considered a number of possibilities for Hummer along the way, and we are disappointed that the deal with Tengzhong could not be completed,” John Smith, G.M.’s vice president of corporate planning and alliances, said in a statement. “G.M. will now work closely with Hummer employees, dealers and suppliers to wind down the business in an orderly and responsible manner.”

It was the third time since G.M. emerged from bankruptcy protection last year that a deal to sell one of its unwanted brands collapsed. The company is shutting down Saturn after a sale fell through, and it began to halt operations at Saab after an agreement with Koenigsegg AB in Sweden was called off. G.M. later reached an agreement with a Dutch company, Spyker Cars; that deal closed Tuesday.

G.M. also is closing Pontiac but it never tried to sell that brand.

G.M. said it still would honor Hummer warranties and provide service and parts to current Hummer owners worldwide. Hummer has nearly 400 dealerships globally.

The deal would have made Tengzhong the first Chinese company to sell vehicles in North America, though it planned to keep Hummer’s operations in the United States.

Barry A. - 2-24-2010 at 06:18 PM

Hummer H-3 claimed to get 20 mpg on the road, which ain't that bad. That is what my X-terra gets, as well as my Isuzu Trooper, so right there in the ball park.

What a shame to lose that brand.

Barry

mtgoat666 - 2-24-2010 at 06:21 PM

good riddance to the dumber :lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 2-24-2010 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

What a shame to lose that brand.

Barry

as a taxpayer, i am an owner of GM. i think it is better for GM to shut down the brand, and thereby eliminate competitor that would be created by selling brand.

also, in this day of global warming and dwindling oil reserves, our government should not be in business of promoting wasteful gas guzzlers.

DanO - 2-24-2010 at 06:33 PM

What if the name of that potential buyer was Sichuan Heavy Industrial Tengzhong Machines Company? Their acronym would be . . . .

TMW - 2-24-2010 at 07:29 PM

What will Robby Gordon use for body panels at the Dakar race next year? Maybe Toyota truck panels since he drive a Toyota in NASCAR. I bet if he does his accelerator will stick and he'll win every stage.

Sharksbaja - 2-24-2010 at 07:32 PM

What's a hummer?;D

mulegemichael - 2-24-2010 at 08:19 PM

thanks, corky!

Bajaboy - 2-24-2010 at 08:24 PM

It sounds to me like the free market has spoken.

Barry A. - 2-24-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Yep, your right, but I think it still a shame---------stuff happens.

Goat says "gas guzzler"??? at 20 mpg??? You have a decent 4x4 that gets much better?

Barry

El Camote - 2-24-2010 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
What's a hummer?;D

'bout 100 pesos in T.J.

Is that right, fishbuck? ;D:o

AmoPescar - 2-24-2010 at 10:40 PM

MI AMIGO...LOOKS LIKE YOU SPENT THAT 100 PESOS IN TIJUANA...

and...look what happened to you...You got all HAIRY and UGLY!!

Stay away from that den of iniquity my son!

Miguelamo :lol: :P :bounce: :tumble:

Stickers - 2-24-2010 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

20 mpg???

Barry

You'd have to been born yesterday to believe that B.S.

DavidT - 2-24-2010 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
What if the name of that potential buyer was Sichuan Heavy Industrial Tengzhong Machines Company? Their acronym would be . . . .

chitMC:?:
I don't get it.

Packoderm - 2-24-2010 at 11:59 PM

I wonder how much collector's value a mint hummer will have in the future. I also wonder how many zero mile H1s are out there.

David K - 2-25-2010 at 08:19 AM

How many does Arnold own?

BOLARNR - 2-25-2010 at 09:47 AM

I've been driving my H2 down to the bay of L.A. for 2 yrs now and you can not find a more comfortable ride, on or off the pavement. These trucks have been given a bad rap because of fuel economy, heck we get 14.5 per miles @ 68mph. with 6 people and MX fuel @ a little over 2 bucks that's not bad for that many passengers. Throw in all the bridge by- passes I feel a whole lot better knowing I can traverse most problem areas no problemo. I'm not going to get all self righteous about these SUV's it's just personal preference. My solar panels, recycling program and water conservation is about all I'm good for and my carbon foot prints are made with flip flops.

DianaT - 2-25-2010 at 01:55 PM

This belongs in off-topic. Gees, it is getting more and more that these topics stay in general discussion---politics and all.

It is a shame, IMHO

David K - 2-25-2010 at 02:15 PM

There are several Nomads who own Hummers... two amigos I know of are Ken Bondy (H1) and GeoRock (H2). Since Hummers are 'off road' in nature, it seems news about Government Motors killing off that line (to join other GM kill offs: Saturn, Pontiac, Saab, etc.) belongs on Nomad and better in the Off Road forum, then on General Baja Discussion...

There are topics I don't care for on Nomad, as well Diane. It's a freedom of speech thing, I guess. If we don't like what a Nomad has to say, we can move on to another post without calling for the removal of that post... We have so few freedoms left, it seems. :biggrin:

Barry A. - 2-25-2010 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
This belongs in off-topic. Gees, it is getting more and more that these topics stay in general discussion---politics and all.

It is a shame, IMHO

4-wheel drives are not "baja related" somehow, Diane??? It seems very baja-related to me since much of my driving in Baja was in a 4-wheel drive off the beaten path. I almost bought a Hummer-----now glad I didn't, but the H3 is a very good vehicle and it is a shame that it will become a thing of the past, or so it seems..

This subject is of great interest to many on this board, I am betting.

Barry

DianaT - 2-25-2010 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There are several Nomads who own Hummers... two amigos I know of are Ken Bondy (H1) and GeoRock (H2). Since Hummers are 'off road' in nature, it seems news about Government Motors killing off that line (to join other GM kill offs: Saturn, Pontiac, Saab, etc.) belongs on Nomad and better in the Off Road forum, then on General Baja Discussion...

There are topics I don't care for on Nomad, as well Diane. It's a freedom of speech thing, I guess. If we don't like what a Nomad has to say, we can move on to another post without calling for the removal of that post... We have so few freedoms left, it seems. :biggrin:

Since lots of nomads own Fords, Dodges, Chevys, Nissan, Toyotas, Jeeps, etc., they all deserve lots of space--oh, I forgot all those little regular cars we see on the back roads, do they count? It is not matter of free speech, just plain old off topic, but I did not expect you to understand.

This thread is just another way for you to rant about your political beliefs----just a backdoor way.

Now to make it all better. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 2-25-2010 at 02:34 PM

OFF ROAD... Diane... Hummer only made 4WD truck type SUVs... IF any off road vehicle that could go to Baja is terminated, it would be on topic here...

Is this all really that hard for you?

k-rico - 2-25-2010 at 03:30 PM

Was Hummer a profitable GM division? Didn't high gas prices pretty much kill their sales? Could the resources (factories, etc) used to build Hummers be put to better use building cars that sell better? If Hummer was making a handsome profit for GM, would they have killed it?

Skipjack Joe - 2-25-2010 at 03:36 PM

Aaahhh... the sweet familiar sound of a bajanomad thread purrring along.

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2010 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Since lots of nomads own Fords, Dodges, Chevys, Nissan, Toyotas, Jeeps, etc., they all deserve lots of space--oh, I forgot all those little regular cars we see on the back roads, do they count? It is not matter of free speech, just plain old off topic, but I did not expect you to understand.

This thread is just another way for you to rant about your political beliefs----just a backdoor way.

Now to make it all better. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Many nomads wear underwear, so should topic of boxers vs briefs vs comando be in main forum or in off topic?

Really, a car is a car, and the demise of hummer is of little significance to baja nomads, the people of mexico, or anybody else. So what if you can't buy a new dummer!? There are lots of other 4wds (and most are not as despised as the ugliest suv ever built).

Bajahowodd - 2-25-2010 at 03:55 PM

From my perspective, way too many folks bought the gas guzzler to drive around town. I have absolutely no problem with those who bought them to use them as designed- an off-road vehicle. And a very comfortable one in off-road driving. But, as someone earlier posted, there are marooons like the governator, who probably hasn't been off-road, except maybe on a movie set, in years, but buy those things to go grocery shopping.

BOLARNR - 2-25-2010 at 07:16 PM

aaahhhhh Now that's what I be talkin' bout!!!! Off road comfort.

TMW - 2-25-2010 at 07:40 PM

For those of you keeping score against the HUMMER brand, sales in 2008 were down 50.9 percent compared to 2007. The General sold 55,986 H1, H2, and H3 models in 2007 and 27,485 in 2008 (including just 692 units of the new H3T model).

I heard on the radio today that 2009 sales was just over 8,000 units.

grmpb - 2-25-2010 at 08:07 PM

yup, gm was thinking about selling, discontinuing, or completley redesigning it in 2008. not green enough? or just not selling enough:?:

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by grmpb]

David K - 2-25-2010 at 10:30 PM

What I meant by 'not green enough' was not making enough money... a play on the enviro wacko terminology. :spingrin:

classicbajabronco - 3-2-2010 at 07:43 PM

the 2 hummers h1's parked on the beach out front are definately baja offroaders...I have never seen so much stuff strapped to a rig before. They have already rolled one the trip in san pedro martir and broke the others axle. I think this post definately belongs in the offroad section. Love them or hate them.... stock hummer h1's do own the offroad....there's a reason the Military use them in knarly environments. H3's on the other hand suck the monkey:o

flyfishinPam - 3-2-2010 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

chitMC:?:
I don't get it.

the SHEIT Machine Company :lol::lol::lol::lol:

but spelled the correct way that this editor automatically censors even with a $ sign

get it now?

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by flyfishinPam]

classicbajabronco - 3-3-2010 at 10:08 AM

The people on the beach said that 2006 was the only year they made the H1.

Wow....I didn't know SHEIT came from China...I thought everything they made was top shelf??:lol: