BajaNomad

CAMPING SPEARFISHING FISHING RESTRICTIONS

LOSARIPES - 2-25-2010 at 11:31 AM

A group of AZ residents are planning a Baja trip along the gulf cost in and out of the water, using wave-runners,a small boat and pick-up trucks. They are planning on spearfishing, camping, trolling as they travel along the coast and islands.
Does anybody know of any restrictions and/or requirements for these activities?

David K - 2-25-2010 at 11:40 AM

No airpowered spearguns, and no scuba spearfishing is what I recall... but I hope a more knowlegeable Nomad comes forward if I am mistaken!

gnukid - 2-25-2010 at 11:41 AM

No spearfishing from scuba tanks or with a huka (air pump).

No harvesting shellfish...

All persons must have fishing license... on boats where fishing gear exists.

Limits exists for some fish.

Fishing restrictions on foreigners are pretty consistent over the last decade so you can abide for those without problems.

No small boat permit required though current registration is good to have.

DENNIS - 2-25-2010 at 12:06 PM

C4 and electric blasting caps are only permitted during months with an X.

LOSARIPES - 2-25-2010 at 05:05 PM

Thank you all.... I will go to the "Capitania de Puerto" (Harbor Master) in La Paz and ask specific questions once the AZ guys give their list of concerns. Will post anything I consider of interest...

gmata - 3-9-2010 at 06:44 AM

Los Aripes,

I am from La Paz i've been spearfishing all my life and i own a spearfishing company, everything said above is correct, just make sure to have license and no spearfishing in SCUBA.

When are you guys coming?

Gon

LOSARIPES - 3-14-2010 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmata
Los Aripes,

I am from La Paz i've been spearfishing all my life and i own a spearfishing company, everything said above is correct, just make sure to have license and no spearfishing in SCUBA.

When are you guys coming?

Gon

Hi Gon,

THEY... my son and friends plan to hit the gulf in the Bahia Concepcion area sometime mid May.
They have contacted conapesca in San Diego and have received basically the same info. They will get their permits by mail and they will be set.
I went to the local office and the "Licenciado" gave me lots of info but it is really not objective and clear. He "recommends" the divers get fishing permits and don't fish anymore that "common sense" dictates. No specifics.... so... they will simply just do that. Fish, eat and have a good time.
They check this forum once in a while. They have already read your comments.