BajaNomad

La Mision Hotel Restaurant Reopening

Gypsy Jan - 2-28-2010 at 05:30 PM

After brunch at La Fonda today, when we were leaving, I noticed a banner in the window on the upper floor of the hotel that said the restaurant would reopen in March.

Re-Opens 3/19/2010

noproblemo2 - 2-28-2010 at 06:29 PM

That's good news, so it has been moved up from the April 5th date? Thanks Jan...

[Edited on 3-16-2010 by noproblemo2]

Bob H - 2-28-2010 at 08:19 PM

I never knew it was closed? How long has it been closed. Best pancakes I've ever had was at this place.
Bob H

noproblemo2 - 2-28-2010 at 08:23 PM

The past 2 winters they have closed due to lack of business. Berta, the manager, is an absolute doll and goes out of her way to be sure one is happy with their food and drinks.

durrelllrobert - 3-1-2010 at 11:07 AM

Started going there instead of La Fonda because the allowed dogs inside (4 legged) and La Fonda kicked them out because they harrssed the chickens roaming about.

No More Chickens at La Fonda

Gypsy Jan - 3-1-2010 at 01:52 PM

The rooster died of old age and they cooked the hen because she started attacking customers.

Waiting...let the jokes start now.

DENNIS - 3-1-2010 at 01:54 PM

Jan....Your goose is cooked. :lol:

DanO - 3-1-2010 at 02:03 PM

Looks like those 2-legged dogs at La Fonda are going to have find something else to choke besides someone else's chickens.

:o

:lol:

Bajahowodd - 3-1-2010 at 04:23 PM

Sheesh! Am I the only one, despite my love of dogs, that really doesn't want them around and about while I'm eating in a restaurant? And frankly, since there are many folks who have allergies, I certainly can't fault any restaurateur for keeping dogs out.

Uhhmm - How About People With Dog Hair on Their Clothing?

Gypsy Jan - 3-1-2010 at 04:41 PM

I am sympathetic to people with allergies and their struggles, but we do not live in a bubble.

We take our duly licensed service dog everywhere - restaurants, markets and airlines and other public transport included. It is the law.

The dog has more licensing than I do.

When hubby goes to the VA in La Jolla, the dog goes along, no questions asked.

When I had a panic attack episode and was taken to UCSD Thornton, the dog went along and got into bed with me. All the nurses, interns, residents and doctors on shift came by to see the dog.

DanO - 3-1-2010 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Sheesh! Am I the only one, despite my love of dogs, that really doesn't want them around and about while I'm eating in a restaurant? And frankly, since there are many folks who have allergies, I certainly can't fault any restaurateur for keeping dogs out.

You won't like France.

Martyman - 3-1-2010 at 04:59 PM

Dogs smell! I don't want to smell them when I'm eating

Bajahowodd - 3-1-2010 at 05:04 PM

Funny. But I really don't like the French much. Doesn't matter whether it's France, Polynesia, or the Caribbean. So there.:P

bajaguy - 3-1-2010 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

Of course dogs smell, so do cats, cows, horses and humans......You must mean dogs have an odor......but then again, so do people (humans) :lol:

DanO - 3-1-2010 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

Of course dogs smell, so do cats, cows, horses and humans......You must mean dogs have an odor......but then again, so do people (humans) :lol:

Ain't that the truth. I recall being in an art museum in Paris and some vaguely Dutch looking guy with greasy hair and horrible acne walks past and I catch a whiff of . . . The. Worst. BO. Ever. Indescribable, really. It caused an instant gag reflex and made your eyes blink like ammonia. Half the people in there literally scrambled for the exits (and keep in mind, this is in France, where the attitude about such things is fairly relaxed). From that day on, anytime someone stinks, I always tell them that they smell like a Dutch tourist. Those of you from the Netherlands, don't get your noses out of joint -- I'm 25% Dutch myself.

Bajahowodd - 3-1-2010 at 05:56 PM

So, you are 25% in Dutch.:P

Historically, Europeans just didn't bathe or shower as did Americans. That, and a disdain for shaving certain areas. That said, I still believe that that there must be some sort of embargo on all things Mennen and Old Spice because I don't think I've ever been so overwhelmed anywhere like I have been in Jamaica. Just saying.

The Gull - 3-2-2010 at 07:29 PM

Odd that I have always used a dog laying in front of a restaurant door and chickens running around the tables as a mark of a proper and preferred Baja restarant. It is harder to find that quality of a place these days, especially in the BCN.

Gull, You Are Welcome to Come Over for Dinner

Gypsy Jan - 3-2-2010 at 07:40 PM

But be warned that the the dogs will greet you. The only chickens available are in the freezer.

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

noproblemo2 - 3-15-2010 at 05:57 PM

Re-Opens this Friday!!! 3/19/2010

docsmom - 3-24-2010 at 07:34 AM

Ah, La Mision, top level patio (when it's not too windy), fish & chips, maggies, chips & salsa, sunshine. Truly a pleasure.
Also stayed there one time. Corner room (maybe #10?). 'Cuz it was the corner we got great light. Fireplace, balcony, what more can you ask for. Don't know how it would be today since all the surfers camp just to the north. But I would try it again.

Woooosh - 3-24-2010 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

Dogs smell? No one takes a stinky dog in their car with them to go dining. Cigars stink. Every time I eat in a nice restaurant in baja- some entitled burro-wipe gringo feels he needs to light up a cigar and ruin the taste of food for everyone in the room (or even dining outside). wrong battle.