BajaNomad

Bait Hole - Lots of Fishing Photos...Mulege Tournament

Pompano - 3-12-2010 at 10:20 AM

For lack of anything else to do one morning a few days ago..I launched rather late one morning and went to the bait hole off Mulege to see what was happening.

Punta Prieta...Party Beach.

I usually go there 1 hour before dawn...yawn...but maybe not from now on...

Still lots of action at 10:00 AM. I think I'll sleep in more....:rolleyes:

Plenty of bigeyes....

...and always some hammer handles around, too...

..and as I left for home, some visitors came to anchor outside Mulege. Sopalotes del Mar?

Welll, that's about it...not much happening...yawn...just another day in...zzzzzzzzzzzz

.:

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by Pompano]

Iflyfish - 3-12-2010 at 10:25 AM

What a life!!!

Iflyfish

htnfool - 3-12-2010 at 03:02 PM

So you made bait.......

DID YOU CATCH ANYTHING WITH IT?????????

Give RUSS and LUPITA our best.

Scott

AmoPescar - 3-13-2010 at 12:10 AM

SOME OF MY BEST CATCHES...have come late in the morning and in the afternoon.

I'm with you...I never did like getting up at the crack of dawn to go fishing,
even though I love to fish.

SO...what did you catch with those nice baits????

And as usual...great pictures and narrative!!!

Miguelamo :spingrin: :bounce: :D :tumble:

Pompano - 3-13-2010 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by htnfool
So you made bait.......

DID YOU CATCH ANYTHING WITH IT?????????

Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar

SO...what did you catch with those nice baits????

Miguelamo :spingrin: :bounce: :D :tumble:

Well..of course I caught something. We just have to wait a bit to find out 'what'?

Don Alley - 3-13-2010 at 08:44 AM

There are some big ones out there...

Howard - 3-13-2010 at 09:38 AM

You guys should be punished! Here we are up North counting the days until we come down (14 and counting) and you show bent poles with no fish. The way you tease us is very unkind. Show the damn fish!

Pompano - 3-13-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
You guys should be punished! Here we are up North counting the days until we come down (14 and counting) and you show bent poles with no fish. The way you tease us is very unkind. Show the damn fish!

Okay! ..okay! jeez...

It was quite a fight...but I won out in the end.

[Edited on 3-14-2010 by Pompano]

willyAirstream - 3-13-2010 at 10:58 AM

I'll bet you are eating those strawberries and drinking champagne with co pilot. Now that's a good catch! :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes:

Howard - 3-13-2010 at 01:34 PM

Something was taken off your post.

"403 forbidden"

Even though we might not of met, how can I trust you? For all we know there is nothing but lead weight on the bottom of your line or you caught the bottom.

DAMN IT, WE WANT, NEED AND DEMAND THE TRUTH!

What was really on the end of the line?

Don Alley - 3-13-2010 at 03:57 PM

Here's mine.

Those yellowtail are really strong for their size. Gram for gram, the strongest fish in the sea.

Pacifico - 3-13-2010 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Here's mine.

Those yellowtail are really strong for their size. Gram for gram, the strongest fish in the sea.

So, that's the fish that has been stealing my iron!!!!!

GrOUper-GAr - 3-14-2010 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Here's mine.

speaking of GraMs...

Pescador - 3-14-2010 at 01:16 PM

It is pretty amazing to hear how good fishing is at Mulege, but today was the Mulege tournament and I could hardly find a space to park from all the boats and trucks at the marina in San Bruno. Guess when the money is on the line, some of these guys know where to find the big fish.
I never enter tournaments any more but I was curious as to what the day might turn up if I had chosen to enter. I pulled in a 46 lb 14 oz bruiser that would easily win any tournament in this area. Had several offers on the fish but, I told them all it would not be fair but it was pretty funny when they laid eyes on the fish.

46lbyellow.jpg - 47kB

Hook - 3-14-2010 at 02:13 PM

WOW! Biggest YT I have seen, even fishing San Benitos and Cedros.

Is that your personal best, Jim?

Cypress - 3-14-2010 at 02:16 PM

Pescador, Nice fish! Congrats.:D

Pescador - 3-14-2010 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
WOW! Biggest YT I have seen, even fishing San Benitos and Cedros.

Is that your personal best, Jim?

No, actually I have a 52 for this year, but the interesting thing about this fish is that I nailed it in 56 feet of water with only 50 lb line. I thought it was a grouper because you could really feel the pulse of a big fish and it made several runs for the bottom, but I held on as much as I dare and while I did make contact one time (abrasions) the line held.
Since I no longer use a gaff, when I saw the size of this head, I had second thoughts about sticking my hands in the gills of this baby.

bajabass - 3-14-2010 at 03:37 PM

:wow: No, :wow::wow:, shoulda, coulda, woulda for sure. Lots of sushimi and tacos there. Funny, my wife was in San Bruno last night, and I told a friend, while at work at 7 this morning, that I should be on a panga at San Marcos, instead of here in OC.:( Nice fish Jim, glad you got him in such shallow water, those fish pull!

Don Alley - 3-14-2010 at 04:49 PM

Tuesday:

Sunday:

bajabass - 3-14-2010 at 05:11 PM

You are killing me guys! The wife is in La Paz, I'm stuck here, and you are catching toads. Keep up the good work. :yes:

Cypress - 3-14-2010 at 05:16 PM

Don Alley, Wow! Thanks for the pictures. Nice fish.:D

Pescador - 3-14-2010 at 07:36 PM

Yeah, but Pompano has us all beat with the beauty in the front of his boat.

Skipjack Joe - 3-14-2010 at 10:20 PM

Nice amberjack, Don.

TOURNAMENT FISHING NEWS FLASH!

Pompano - 3-15-2010 at 11:31 AM

Yesterday was Mulege's fishing day. It was the Marty Robison Memorial yellowtail tournament.

I will try and write a different thread about this rather interesting day on the water, ......

....but here a couple of highlights:

A nice yellowtail right out of the gate for my fishing partner.....on a nice flat, calm ocean... ;D

One in the boat takes the skunk off right quick.

My turn to HOOK UP!....and.....

it's almost smaller than the bait...Pepper is saying..."Hey Pompano, thanks, I could use a little snack."

Hah, NOW I hooked a nice BIG one. It weighed about 30llbs...

....OR WOULD HAVE..if it had not been bitten in half right when my partner was ready to gaff. :rolleyes:

]

Reminds me of this old song..."He got the Gold Mine...la-la.. I got the Shaft."

Care for a little swim in the ocean?...:rolleyes:

But all is not lost...the culprit hits again on the next drop...and we hit HIM!

...and the REAL fun starts......

We need a bigger boat...much, much bigger...and some Kevlar body armor.

To Be Continued On Another Thread:

baitcast - 3-15-2010 at 11:59 AM

I think I like the looks of that tail !!
Rob

capt. mike - 3-15-2010 at 03:17 PM

roger - had i known you and bendix were gonna have that much luck and the seas look calmer than they were gonna be - i should have stayed and gone out.

nice job - but who won?? how did jerry and gary do??

Pompano - 3-15-2010 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
roger - had i known you and bendix were gonna have that much luck and the seas look calmer than they were gonna be - i should have stayed and gone out..........

Mike...BE GLAD YOU WERE NOT. The wind came up, as predicted by the stars and Buoyweather, right around noonish. It got bad, really bad. Only idiots fish in that stuff. Soon, 3 footers were the little guys..to some rogues topping 5 and 6 feet.

Since we ARE idiots, we used 500 feet of heavy anchor road and 30 feet of chain on a big sea plow anchor. It glued our 21 CC boat right over our chosen spot. We figured we had a 50-50 chance of ever getting the anchor back.

We had stupid grins on our faces most of the time. The dogs moved away from us.

We were left all alone on the water by one o'clock. Not another boat in sight. Well, Duh!... Non-idiots were enjoying dry land at the Jungla Bar.

HOWEVER Fishing was just short of unbelievable. I had 3 MAJOR hookups with fish that broke my tough P-line.

I've caught some true monsters in that spot and know the estimated size of those that got away. Suffice to say..bigger than any in these photos or in the tournament. The bruisers broke the line in the middle depths...180 feet over 255 bottom...no rocks or abrasions. I am respooling with 60lb and going back for more. Failing that .. I do have 80lb. I am resolved to take the fight to them again and again.

Yeah, you don't want to be out in stuff like this..(unless you are an idiot, too?) Check it out when it was calm enough for me to take photos...and Pepper and Chili to stand up.

I am still stiff today from all the pounding and bracing. Hell, I'm not 25 anymore...

...or even 55.

The big fellow about to hit us was a rogue of over 6 ft. We got wet...a few times. Sure is fun out there...oh yeah...but it's kinda nice here on shore, too.

Well, that's it for now. I have to drive into town (by way of Ana's Bar) and eat the fish dinner at the Jungla and attend the awards presentation to see who won all the stuff. I abhore competitions, but I love the food and drinks. Usually you can just sit there and sooner or later somebody will feed you and set down a drink or two...

The last entries I saw yesterday before we collapsed onto the Jungla bartop..was this:

Biggest yellowtail at that time was 29 piont-something pounds caught by angler Overboard John on Mi Mujer with Bart and Mulege Jim as crewmates. My biggest in the box were dinks of about 22.5 lbs each...plus a half-fish courtesy of The Shark.

Biggest 'other' fish caught by someone was a broomtail grouper ..about 17llbs, I think.

It was a helluva day out there....fun stuff..we were almost eaten by sharks...got lots of fresh air....

....and if I should ever be stoopid enough to do it again in a wind like that, please shoot me in the leg first.

Signed: An Idiot. :rolleyes:

edit to add:

An amigo, Carlos, who owns the Havana club/cafe in San Jose del Cabo is cooking prime rib at mi casa right now...so I think we'll pass on the fish dinner at the Jungla, but thanks anyway, Bart. ;)

[Edited on 3-18-2010 by Pompano]

capt. mike - 3-15-2010 at 06:10 PM

i had no idea Bendix had German pubic haired pointers for dogs!
we used to raise em in KS.
tell him i said hey.

well we had a good tail wind on the flight home. now i have a new Canadian friend in Brian, eh??
got him to phx then he caught a flight to calgary.

Cypress - 3-15-2010 at 06:11 PM

Pompano, Thanks for the report and pictures.

willyAirstream - 3-15-2010 at 06:17 PM

Great pics ( as always) from a candle light romantic pic ( 9 1/2 weeks?) to the teaser shark tail pic! Regards to co pilot and sis ! :)

24baja - 3-15-2010 at 07:09 PM

Booo hooo hooo booo hooo hoooo, still crying cause I have 70 days to go. Lovely fish everyone!:(