BajaNomad

US consular employee and wife murdered in Juarez

arrowhead - 3-14-2010 at 11:19 AM

A US consular employee and his wife, both American citizens, were murdered in Juarez along with the Mexican wife of another consular employee. President Obama has already issued a statement on it. The story in Spanish is here:

Quote:
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldetijuana/notas/n1555930.htm

Washington EU.- Pistoleros sin identificar asesinaron a un empleado del consulado de Estados Unidos en una ciudad fronteriza de México, junto a su esposa y a la esposa de otro funcionario consular, informó este domingo la Casa Blanca.

El presidente Barack Obama "está profundamente entristecido y ultrajado por la noticia del brutal asesinato de tres personas asociadas con el Consulado General de Estados Unidos en Ciudad Juárez", señaló un portavoz del consejo de seguridad nacional en un comunicado.

Mike Hammer, el portavoz, precisó que los muertos incluyen a un empleado estadounidense del consulado, su esposa --también estadounidense-- y a la esposa de un empleado mexicano del mismo consulado.

So, what do you think the odds are that the US will listen to Jorge Ramos' and Hugo Torres' pleas to tone down the State Department warning on travel to Mexico? I'm guessing the next warning the US issues on Mexico is going to be a lot worse.

Hook - 3-14-2010 at 11:33 AM

There was a US consular meeting over here in San Carlos, Sonora last week. They were verbally recommending that people not drive the route from Sonoita/Lukeville to Caborca to Santa Ana, due to increased harassment of non Mexico plated vehicles. They were not specific about the term harassment.

With it's recent road upgrades, this route is favored by many coming from California to San Carlos, Sonora. It's a much quicker and more beautiful route than going through Tucson and Nogales.

Well, that didn't take too long....

arrowhead - 3-14-2010 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
I'm guessing the next warning the US issues on Mexico is going to be a lot worse.

Quote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5juvIjR4Vb_...

State Department warns of violence threat
(AP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The State Department is authorizing U.S. government employees at six U.S. consulates in northern Mexico to send their family members out of the area because of concerns about rising drug-related violence.

The department says the family members are authorized to leave until April 12. The six consulates are in the border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros.

The department said in a statement Sunday that recent violent attacks have led the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City to advise American citizens to delay unnecessary travel to parts of the Mexican states of Durango, Coahuila and Chihuahua.

The State Dept. just made the US Consul in Tijuana look like a schmuck.

http://rosaritoenlanoticia.blogspot.com/2010/03/destaca-cons...

Bajahowodd - 3-14-2010 at 12:34 PM

It's getting so weird. On the same day, 13 bodies, some of them headless turn up in and around Acapulco. This, just as things were gearing up for spring break. Not to mention that with the Benito Juarez holiday, thousands of Mexicans usually head down to Acapulco from the DF.

Then, I read that February saw an occupancy rate of 85% in Cancun, stoking that town's hopes for a big time spring break. Yucatan is a getaway for Americans on the East Coast due to proximity. Just wonder if the crime problems are less covered by the media back there.

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-14-2010 at 12:47 PM

Was it Narcos or Jihadist Terrorists? Let's hope we get some answers soon!

Hook - 3-14-2010 at 04:44 PM

There was a third person killed in what appears to be (to me) a premeditated attack on personnel attached to that consulate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100314/wl_nm/us_obama_mexico_mu...

Bajahowodd - 3-14-2010 at 05:07 PM

I'm told that Calderon is going to handing out lollipops.

lizard lips - 3-14-2010 at 05:14 PM

S%$t is going to hit the fan in Juarez.....

[Edited on 10/14/2009 by lizard lips]

JESSE - 3-14-2010 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
S%$t is going to hit the fan in Juarez.....

[Edited on 10/14/2009 by lizard lips]

It already did, many years ago.

lizard lips - 3-14-2010 at 07:02 PM

With this happening Jesse things will change and what I mean is there will be a lot of "clean up" by operations in the military that will never be reported.

DENNIS - 3-14-2010 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
With this happening Jesse things will change and what I mean is there will be a lot of "clean up" by operations in the military that will never be reported.

Is that new and different? The big change will, or should be, the militarization of US personel anywhere around Mexico.

We,ve been attacked. The war is on.

lizard lips - 3-14-2010 at 07:15 PM

Not new or different but just more of it........

bajaguy - 3-14-2010 at 07:16 PM

Oh, you can bet there are "contingency" plans that are being dusted off right now.......

lizard lips - 3-14-2010 at 07:16 PM

A LOT MORE-

DENNIS - 3-14-2010 at 07:17 PM

Can't wait to see the dirt pimps and Torresistas saying, "This didn't happen and if it did, it's not a matter for tourists to be concerned with. They won't bother you."

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by DENNIS]

Woooosh - 3-14-2010 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Can't wait to see the dirt pimps and Torresistas saying, "This didn't happen and if it did, it's not a matter for tourists to be concerned with. They won't bother you."

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by DENNIS]

...and if the DO bother you- no one in the media will dare report it since those Mexican journalists were kidnapped, tortured and killed this week. Mexico went from blaming the media for distorting the security problem, to having no media to report any security problems. The two carjackings in Rosarito of Americans last month were reported to the police and well documented- yet were never reported by the US media. That was when I knew the local news blackout and censorship was real- although no one will tell you openly who is doing the intimidating.

Besides- the new passport regs, perceived long border lines and the bad US economy are bigger negative factors for Baja tourism right now.

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by Woooosh]

Donjulio - 3-14-2010 at 11:38 PM

http://www.madcowprod.com/

http://www.madcowprod.com/01162008.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/gaddy/gaddy54.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTbYLUEUZI&feature=relat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VyO_jaJFs&feature=relat...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIEUhpxeuP4&feature=relat...

And there are 1000 more links that can be posted here. So lets get real about who is behind the drug cartels and the drug running and quit bashing Mexico and look at the reality of what is happening in the US

Get real people

Woooosh - 3-14-2010 at 11:46 PM

And here with go with blaming the USA for Mexico's problems again. Still stuck on stupid. You can't have a battle of wits with the unarmed- so I'm out until you come up with something real to solve the problem, not deny it exists or blame everyone else but corruption within Mexico for Mexico's current problems.

And they are only going to get worse as more Baja jobs are lost and people become more desperate for money. Every local business was holding out for hopes of a Spring Break revival and Summer tourists- now those are gone... 80% gone for a long long time.

Wait...

Dave - 3-15-2010 at 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
So lets get real about who is behind the drug cartels and the drug running and quit bashing Mexico and look at the reality of what is happening in the US

Get real people

You're suggesting that the U.S. government is supporting the Mexican cartels efforts to addict our society? Drug abuse, both legal and otherwise, cost us billions in lost production and missed tax revenue as well as enforcement and incarceration costs. And you're saying somehow our government would support this?

Why?

Woooosh - 3-15-2010 at 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
So lets get real about who is behind the drug cartels and the drug running and quit bashing Mexico and look at the reality of what is happening in the US

Get real people

You're suggesting that the U.S. government is supporting the Mexican cartels efforts to addict our society? Drug abuse, both legal and otherwise, cost us billions in lost production and missed tax revenue as well as enforcement and incarceration costs. And you're saying somehow our government would support this?

Why?

Yeah that's what he's saying. I don't buy it is a valid argument either. It's just another excuse. Mexico won't stop the flow of humans and drugs moving north illegally. If you sealed the whole border to all illegal human trafficing- they would scream bloody murder and claim their human rights were being violated. They want it both ways.

I'd rather be honest and forward-thinking about it. I would seal the border to all northbound human and drug traffic, legalize/decriminalize recreational drugs in the USA, tax all drugs at import location to fund treatment programs, implement a sales tax on retail drug sales to pay off the national debt.

Americans will find solutions to addiction and the lost productivity issues (like we did with alcohol) better than Mexico could ever hope to resolve the narco violence and institutionalized corruption problems south of the border. JMO

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by Woooosh]

Sharksbaja - 3-15-2010 at 12:41 AM

Is that a trick question Dave?:yes:
What I find strange is the lack of planning by the cartels and govt and enforcement traitors. There is a good profit center(tourism) out there just ripe for clever entrepenuers;D

Think about it, cash flow across the board. Capitalism(ahem) could be just the ticket for those big boys looking for a way in, oops, out.:rolleyes:

There are plenty of credible mentors available worldwide. That's what I don't get. Does SOS apply to the cartels et al?:?:

Choose any mentor here;

Example A: The Chinese

Example B: The Russians

Example C: The Colombians

Example D: The Canadians
------------
There ya go!! Anyone can do it!

Just gotta get on the same page.:yes:;D;D;);)

[Edited on 3-15-2010 by Sharksbaja]

Woooosh - 7-2-2010 at 08:58 AM

Today we get the answer to why. The female consulate employee WAS specifically targeted because she gave US travel visas to rival cartel members...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100702/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_dru...

"A drug gang leader says he ordered the killing of a U.S. consulate worker because she gave visas to a rival gang in the border city of Ciudad Juarez, federal police said Friday."

BajaBruno - 7-2-2010 at 09:20 AM

Does anyone think that drug cartel members are supposed to get US travel visas? The article seems to carefully refuse to tread on the notion that Lesley Enriquez was a corrupted consular employee.

It sounds like the cartels have better intelligence than either the US or Mexico.

Woooosh - 7-2-2010 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
Does anyone think that drug cartel members are supposed to get US travel visas? The article seems to carefully refuse to tread on the notion that Lesley Enriquez was a corrupted consular employee.

It sounds like the cartels have better intelligence than either the US or Mexico.

Man. I wish we could use that "Human Resources" technique in the corporate world... corrupt=extinct, not just indicted or unemployed.

[Edited on 7-2-2010 by Woooosh]

wessongroup - 7-2-2010 at 01:10 PM

Ditto's