BajaNomad

Laja in Valle Guadalupe

Santiago - 3-26-2010 at 08:46 PM

Tonite was one of the best meals we have ever had. I don't mean just the food but the entire experience was simply wonderful. The menu changes weekly based on what ever they can get that is local and fresh; youse pays your moneys and takes your chances. Tonite was asperegas soup, green salad with a citrus dressing, raviolis, shrimps, baked fish, roasted lamb and two desserts that were unkown and to die for. The wine list is extensive but all local; we chose a Fume Blanc blend that was made by the owner and was dry but very citrusy.
The menu always has 8 items and you either order small portions of all 8 or pick 4 and get larger portions. We ordered the 4 but mixed them so that we were able to taste all 8 items. Total bill for food, wine, coffee but before tip was about $1450 NM.
The atmosphere is country elegant, relaxed but serious about enjoying food and wine. The wait staff is knowledgable, attentive but not overbearing. Only one of the 8 dishes was a bit off; the fish had a lot of the dark flesh below the skin and my wife found it a bit too bland.
These guys have it going on and we highly recommend you try it out.

Hook - 3-26-2010 at 10:18 PM

That's pricey, but not outrageous.

We went to a steakhouse in Phoenix last week (Durant's) and the lowly top sirloin was 33 bucks, a la carte. Bone-in NY was almost 50 bucks.

But the topper was the 48 oz porterhouse with TWO Aussie lobster tails at 189.00. Most expensive item I have ever seen on a menu...........but I've never been to New York or Paris.

They had Screaming Eagle on the menu. Three different vintages. One was 1800.00/bottle. Never seen Screaming Eagle on a menu.

All the food was very good. But the most praised dish we ordered in a group of 6 was...................the fried chicken livers in panko!!!!!

[Edited on 3-27-2010 by Hook]

bajabound2005 - 3-27-2010 at 08:57 AM

We had lunch at Laja the other day...we've been there several times, but this week was particularly fabulous!

What?

Dave - 3-27-2010 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
That's pricey, but not outrageous.

At a fair rate of exchange and including wine that works out to around $60 per person. I'd consider that to be very reasonable.

You couldn't find those prices at any comparable restaurant in the States.