BajaNomad

PINTO FISHING DERBY - NOW OVER & WINNER'S ANNOUNCED!

Pompano - 3-30-2010 at 02:32 PM

PINTO DERBY

Saturday, APRIL 24th

ANA'S CAFE AT SANTISPAC - 15 MILES SOUTH OF MULEGE

WELL, HERE IT IS..THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!

Another fun fishing derby and dance at Ana's Cafe on Santispac Beach south of Mulege. I have been asked to post this notice on BajaNomads and am happy to do so.

The 2010 Pinto Derby

REGISTER AT ANA'S CAFE, SANTISPAC BEFORE APRIL 24th

ANA'S CANTINA - SANTISPAC BEACH AND ANCHORAGE

A 'Pinto'..the one without the cap....and sticking his tongue out at Pompano.;D

This is a strictly amatuer event...not serious at all, just good old Baja Fun! You don't need to know anything about fishing or catching. Just go out and drop a jig on some rocks, and bring your prize to Ana's around 1:30 to register it for a prize. A great fish dinner will follow. Simple.

History of the Derby. A couple of us dreamed this contest up one lazy afternoon a few years back when Ray's Place was still on the beach. Around 2003, I think? Some new arrivals wanted to fish for thier own dinners and asked what was easy to catch and good to eat? So..the Pinto Derby was born. It was held at Ray's until the bar burned 2 years later, then once at the Hacienda, and then moved to a great location: Ana's Cafe at Santispac. Like a wandering pinto the Derby makes the rounds of good rockpiles.

The Derby is a good just-for-fun contest that started out with a bang and has remained that way. I think mainly because it is a great..and easy... family event that anyone and everyone can participate in..no matter your skill as an angler. Heck, even the best pinto rockpiles will be pointed out in detail...and the best way to get one or two. There is no secret to catching nice pintos! You are welcome to follow one or two of us who will gladly point the way. Also check the map below for some of the best general areas. So easy even a caveman can do it. Some of my good pinto areas are marked in red on the following maps.

Stay legal, with licenses and limits..have fun!

!APRIL 24th!

The Pinto Derby has been at Ana's Cafe now for 4 years..which is truly a great beach cafe in the old Baja tradition. Charming and friendly...everyone feels at home here.

Hey...Russ, Lupe, and the crew are there to serve you good humor and spirits, too!!

Zulema washing my socks a couple years ago....

...okay, okay..so she's washing glasses and singing.

Come join us and have a good time!

Register at Ana's Cafe, Santispac as soon as you can...prior to the Derby. Pepe needs to know how many beers to chill and Russ would like a good estimate on mouths to feed.

Derby is APRIL 24th..a Saturday.

REGISTER AT ANA'S CAFE, SANTISPAC

Note: the fish below is NOT a pinto, SO DON'T TRY TO WEIGH IN ONE OF THESE.

Nice couple of fish, Lupe...but NO, not pintos either...

COME ON DOWN TO ANA'S AT SANTISPAC..AND SIGN UP FOR ....

THE PINTO DERBY! APRIL 24TH.

[Edited on 4-24-2010 by Pompano]

[Edited on 4-25-2010 by Pompano]

htnfool - 3-30-2010 at 02:51 PM

Oh, I can't miss this one. You are even giving us your honey holes.

I better warm up the mice...

roundtuit - 3-30-2010 at 03:59 PM

Count Me in again.Will go to my secret spot 10 yds away from Rogers. He has to pass my place to get there JEJE
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

APRIL 24TH IS THE DATE OF THE DERBY.

Pompano - 4-6-2010 at 06:13 AM

..by a unanimous vote of Ana's swamper after closing last nigth the date of the Pinto Derby has been set for April 1th.

hmmm.....We better make that APRIL 24TH...

APRIL 24th

[Edited on 4-8-2010 by Pompano]

capt. mike - 4-6-2010 at 07:53 AM

i was going to say... the oneth of Abril has passethed.

durrelllrobert - 4-6-2010 at 08:43 AM

Can I be disqualified too? i thought this looked like a pinto.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/durrellrobert/rogers...

boe4fun - 4-6-2010 at 09:39 AM

Sounds like a blast. Have fun, with I could make it - maybe next year....

New Pinto Derby Date

Pompano - 4-8-2010 at 06:37 AM

This just in from the swamper at Ana's:

Because of very low tides for launching at the Mulege ramp on April 17th...THE PINTO DERBY date has now been definetly been set for

APRIL 24th

Sign up anytime before April 24th..100 peso entry fee to win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd...plus gets you draft beer and a fish dinner about 3-4 pm April 24th.

p.s. please ignore the cat looking at you from the restroom rafters. Gato uses that area as a safe refuge from Tigre the bar dog.

Lauriboats - 4-10-2010 at 01:37 AM

Count me in.

Pompano - 4-23-2010 at 03:57 AM

A REMINDER....TOMORROW IS DERBY DAY.

APRIL 24TH, 2010

I'm in!

toneart - 4-23-2010 at 10:02 AM

Hook - 4-23-2010 at 06:00 PM

Need clarification on the honey holes............are they in the bar photos or on the maps???

I wish all contestants fair seas.......hopefully, better than we have over here right now. Blustery would be an understatement

Best fishes to all.

[Edited on 4-24-2010 by Hook]

Derby Weigh-in Results:

Pompano - 4-24-2010 at 01:50 PM

News Flash!

So far..Pompano, Co-pilot, & The Purple Sage, command the top spots in the annual Pinto Derby weigh-in held at Ana's Cantina of Santispac.

This is due in large part to the fact that they are the only ones to weigh-in so far...:rolleyes:

Because...

..the entire boat crew mutinied due to some alleged rough water, some shouting "I don't like Waves!", and one bearded crewmate muttering something about nausea and hurling into the open mouth of his pinto.

Prize fish.

FIRST fish to be weighed

monoloco - 4-24-2010 at 01:53 PM

I've never seen a fishing scale that weighs in grams.

Boat cleaned and in barn. Heading to Ana's Now!

Pompano - 4-24-2010 at 02:20 PM

Will post further results later...if there IS a later. :spingrin:

vandenberg - 4-24-2010 at 02:41 PM

That's a cute bugger, Roger:P
And I do mean the little fish.:biggrin:

Cypress - 4-24-2010 at 02:51 PM

Oh yea! There will be a later.:biggrin:

Hook - 4-24-2010 at 03:14 PM

So, that's a pinto bass, for the purposes of the tournament?

The Mexicans over here call those calico bass but, being from SoCal, I know better. That isn't a calico (kelp) bass.

Mexfish.com defines the pinto bass as the same thing as the spotted cabrilla and differentiates that from a spotted bay bass.

At least on Mexfish.com, the fish you are holding in the LAST photo is referred to as a gold-spotted bass or gold-spotted sand bass.

I guess after a few at Ana's, they all look close enough. :lol:

Lauriboats - 4-24-2010 at 03:48 PM

Roger,
We had so much fun today, I didn't win the Derby, but all of the fish that I caught were bigger than yours. :lol:

Bait

Howard - 4-24-2010 at 04:05 PM

Pompano

I assume that fish you are holding is what you used for bait. Where the real picture of the fish?

Barbareno - 4-25-2010 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Will post further results later...if there IS a later. :spingrin:

Waiting and wondering.

Pompano - 4-25-2010 at 09:11 AM

PINTO DERBY

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Need clarification on the honey holes............are they in the bar photos or on the maps???

I wish all contestants fair seas.......hopefully, better than we have over here right now. Blustery would be an understatement

Best fishes to all.

Hook..we have all species of honeys in our Derby.

And Thanks for your fair seas wish, but unfortunately the wind gods decided to wreck havoc on our fishing day. IT WAS ROUGH for a day that was predicted to be nice. Buoyweather was a little bit off! :smug: and many boats opted for safe & comfortable boating rather then beat themselves up.

Hey..this is a strictly for-FUN tournament, and we're determined that nothing serious will ever come of it.:yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I've never seen a fishing scale that weighs in grams.

Well, there ya go, monoloco! Just our style for this derby...we'll have one for next years Derby.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
That's a cute bugger, Roger:P
And I do mean the little fish.:biggrin:

Thanks Ed. Co-pilot took a liking to it, also and it now resides in a saltwater tank. She calls it Fortunato. I call it Comida.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Oh yea! There will be a later.:biggrin:

Cypress! We could have used some of your southern expertise in locating good fishing holes. Come on back to Baja..you can't find many redfish here, but these pintos can be fun, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
So, that's a pinto bass, for the purposes of the tournament?

The Mexicans over here call those calico bass but, being from SoCal, I know better. That isn't a calico (kelp) bass.

Mexfish.com defines the pinto bass as the same thing as the spotted cabrilla and differentiates that from a spotted bay bass.

At least on Mexfish.com, the fish you are holding in the LAST photo is referred to as a gold-spotted bass or gold-spotted sand bass.

I guess after a few at Ana's, they all look close enough. :lol:

Hook, Hook, Hook...this is the Pinto Derby. We have 1 rule. You must have fun. If you can paint a sailfish to look like a pinto, you'll fit right in.

What's in a name? Call them sand bass, cabrilla, deepwater-goldspotted-bigeyed bladder-bulgers, or paralabrax maculatofasciatus if you must. We've been calling these gold-spots - pintos - for a half-decade..and we've ain't stopping now. ;) Go down the block and they get a different name. Mostly, pangeros call them cabrilla (On Baja commercial boats anything that looks even close to a bass is called a cabrilla.)

We don't care. :biggrin:

Mostly they are fun fish in every way..easy to find, easy to catch, easy to eat. Fits right in for a Old Baja style derby, don'tchathink?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
Roger,
We had so much fun today, I didn't win the Derby, but all of the fish that I caught were bigger than yours. :lol:

Laurie...We had a ball, too, even though my crew mutinied. And we all won, regardless of who caught the largest fish.

...Now as to My Pinto, while not the biggest fish in the sea, had certain capabilities that transcended mere lateral measurements. You knew when it was on the line.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, you can mention to Jim that I am now marketing my new discovery called WoW.

One drop of this miracle product can change this..

...into this...

Price: Whatever it takes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Pompano

I assume that fish you are holding is what you used for bait. Where the real picture of the fish?

Howard ..you are absolutely correct. Here is the real picture of the fish.

AND NOW....[drum roll]
FINAL RESULTS OF THE 2010 PINTO DERBY:

The villagers gather at Ana's for the 2010 Pinto Derby.

The winning fish was just over 21 inches..a whopper by any standards..
and...the 'spots' were nicely done, too.

1st Place: Marty - on "Mary Jane" - 21-1/4"

2nd Place: Steve/Cara - on "Montana Baja Special - 20-3/4"

3rd Place Marty - on "Mary Jane" - 19 1/2"

4th Place Mike&Celia - on "Scarecrows" ..so close..19 1/4"

Honorable Mention Award - John - Mi Mujer - 30lb yellowtail

The whopper pinto's location was the renowned area known as "The Slides" Second and third place pintos were also caught near there. Good job, guys!

The food was expertly prepared by some of the area's finest cooks...who always sample their creations.

Of course, the draft beer is a welcome specialty of the house.

Service for the Pinto Derby is buffet style..and worth the very short wait.

Good times, good people.

In addtition to his cheffing skills, Macy Man is an accomplished announcer and only fell on his face once.
SIDENOTE: Now for local news from our gossip section,
'Maude Tells All.'

From Maude's desk: 'Sheesh.. Nothing EVER happens around here...but now finally, thanks to my snitches, here's some juicy news.
'We would like to welcome this handsome couple to the area. This is a rare photo of the mysterious duo who are retired from selling timeshares on the moon. My sources tell me they live in a home/s near the Jungle in Mulege, but are seldom seen outside their quarters...honest.'

Hey, that's all for now, folks. A great, fun time was had by all. Looking forward to next year's.. PINTO DERBY.

See Ya There!

[Edited on 4-25-2010 by Pompano]

Lauriboats - 4-25-2010 at 10:50 AM

The derby was a blast, I am looking forward to next year. Here are my two biggest Pinto Bass.

159.JPG - 42kB

Cypress - 4-25-2010 at 03:00 PM

Lauriboats, That's a couple of nice ones!:)

Cypress - 4-25-2010 at 03:02 PM

Pompano, Thanks for all the pictures.:biggrin:

shari - 4-25-2010 at 06:44 PM

Way to go Laurie...you rock doll! see ya mom's day!