BajaNomad

Beat the skunk today

Russ - 4-3-2010 at 04:43 PM

Finally the wind settled down this morning and I went over to Deadmans to try for some surf fish. Last few times out I haven't been able to fish because of the surf & wind or I flat struck out. Well, today it all changed.

Cleaned up and iced down and went to give 3 of the four to a friend. His wife comes out with and big bowl of ceviche for me. Now that worked out really well! I love it when there is a happy ending!

Cypress - 4-3-2010 at 04:47 PM

Congratulations Russ. Thanks for the pictures, that's a fine pile of fish.:bounce:

wessongroup - 4-3-2010 at 05:21 PM

You made me smile and laugh.. what a great day out there...

Thank you so much... can almost feel it...

That tackle for that size fish.. how long on?

Looks like a real kick... can see why you guys are down there with the hurricanes...

Seems to be a fair trade.. plus the sunrises and sunsets...

Again, thanks for keeping that camera around and thinking of us poor stiffs not getting line wet... let alone hooking up with that.... what a day.. a keeper all the way around

And off topic, as usual ..... what's the set up you are using to get around... looks like the perfect set up

Oggie - 4-3-2010 at 05:21 PM

Russ,

Good looking fish. they look like the corbina we would catch near San Felipe.

dtbushpilot - 4-3-2010 at 05:46 PM

Nice corvina Russ. How do you like the Curado?

Give Mason a scratch for me.....dt

Russ - 4-3-2010 at 05:46 PM

Oggie, They are the corVina you get in San Felipe.
David, I liked the Curado 200 so much I bought the 300 also and it's even better. Can hardly wait for the 1st dorado on it. But I really want to go to Asuncion for halibut & corBina.
wessongroup,I get to drive around on a Polaris Ranger. Goes everywhere and room for camp gear too. It only takes 5 min. or less to bring these fish in but the do a tough few minutes and taste good too.

[Edited on 4-4-2010 by Russ]

Sharksbaja - 4-3-2010 at 06:29 PM

RIGHT ON RUSS!!:yes:

Pacifico - 4-3-2010 at 06:43 PM

Very cool!!! Those are beauties!!!!

woody with a view - 4-3-2010 at 07:41 PM

corb/vina are very good catching, and eating.....;D

100_5547.jpg - 43kB

woody with a view - 4-3-2010 at 07:43 PM

i dare anyone to challenge this BRUTE as the all time biggie......

your foto may vary!

big corbina.jpg - 43kB

woody with a view - 4-3-2010 at 07:51 PM

apples to guava

i never noticed how different the gulf specie was compared to its pacific brethrin. no barb on the bottom lip and the gulfies seem to have bigger shoulders.......

still gotta be a good day on the shore..........

[Edited on 4-4-2010 by woody in ob]

Russ - 4-4-2010 at 05:46 AM

Woody, I remember well the photos you use to post of those huge croaker you'd catch. Those guys really had the shoulders. IMO the croakers & corbina are much more closely related. The corvina appear to be in a whole different family, to me, but most of the articles I've read say they're related. The corbina, again my opinion, are much tougher fighters and one of the very best eating fish.

Bob and Susan - 4-4-2010 at 06:28 AM

the croaker we've caught have worms...

covina...never

Pompano - 4-4-2010 at 06:32 AM

What a mess of great fish and nice photos to enjoy with my coffee morning. Gracias, amigo.

The heck with the wind, I'm getting the Jeep ready for a little Chivato beach fishing trip. Russ..you're in the right place.

Bob and Susan - 4-4-2010 at 06:56 AM

roger

our friend stopped by on the boat with extra yellowtail yesterday

live bait trolled out by the mine

caught about noon

woody with a view - 4-4-2010 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the croaker we've caught have worms...

covina...never

it only adds to the flavor. as long as they are cooked, right? does lime juice (ceviche) kill the worms?

mulegemichael - 4-4-2010 at 04:17 PM

russ, yer killin' me....we won't be back down for a month or so and i'm freezing!....hey amigo, i thought corvina had kind of a downturned mouth and a whisker or two...those fish you beached looked like white sea bass with the underhooked lower jaw...just asking??...

Russ - 4-4-2010 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
russ, yer killin' me....we won't be back down for a month or so and i'm freezing!....hey amigo, i thought corvina had kind of a downturned mouth and a whisker or two...those fish you beached looked like white sea bass with the underhooked lower jaw...just asking??...

That's definately the corBina as in Wood's pic. The corvina really does look like a white seabass but has two "egg teeth" sticking down.

[Edited on 4-5-2010 by Russ]

CorB &CorV head shots.jpg - 48kB

Trex - 4-5-2010 at 09:50 AM

Beautiful fish.

Is it possble to catch those around the Loreto area?

Russ - 4-5-2010 at 10:29 AM

Probably. Some one down there could give you a definite answer.

David K - 4-26-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
corb/vina are very good catching, and eating.....;D

That is a corbina (b=barb on lower lip, mouth on b=bottom)

Russ - 4-26-2013 at 05:49 PM

13 year old memory of some fish that are even more rare today.
Thanks for the memories David K

watizname - 4-27-2013 at 09:02 AM

Beauties Russ. What fun. :bounce::bounce: