BajaNomad

Awesome Baja Offroad Trip - April 2010

Pacifico - 4-12-2010 at 02:06 PM

I just got back from a great offroad trip down in Baja yesterday. We did about 1200 miles total which was mostly dirt, but we did have to do some pavement due to many backroads being wiped out from the recent storms. We started in Ensenada at Horse Power Ranch and on the first day went to Laguna Hansen and then Mike's Sky Rancho:

We spent the night at Mike's and then headed down through San Matias to Diablo Dry Lake and into San Felipe. We had an awesome lunch in town and it was pretty deserted - not a lot of people.

Then it was off to Puertocitos and Cow Patty's for some cool, refreshing beverages!!!

We then headed south and spent the night at Alfonsina's in Gonzaga Bay....

The back bay was at full at high tide and it was a beautiful day in Gonzaga!

The following day we headed down to Coco's and he is doing well! We gave him some much needed business and put down a few Pacificos....

We left Coco's and headed through Calamajue Canyon which was surprisingly dry considering all of the rain. We were somewhat dreading the mud and big water holes that we hit last year there. It's amazing how the backroads can change from year to year.... We then motored into BOLA and ate at Costa Del Sol. After eating we headed south for San Francisquito for the night. We stopped and visited Pancho at San Rafael as well.

The next day was a long one - PSF to San Quintin. We headed back north through BOLA and hit the dirt to El Crucero. Then we had to burn some pavement... We tried to do a dirt section to cut around El Rosario, but we got in aways and the roads turned to arroyos with large boulders and walls. We headed back to the highway and had to motor into San Quintin by pavement because we were running out of daylight. We arrived at The Old Mill, showered up, and headed over to eat at Jardines de Baja. Awesome food as usual!!!

The next day we had a great breakfast in town and ran up the coast. It is a beautiful section......

We had lunch in Erendira, headed north and came out at Santo Tomas. We then continued on back to Ensenada. We stayed another night in Ensenada as to not push it too hard getting home. Baja is as beautiful as ever and I can't wait to get back down there.....
Here is a picture of our route from the GPS. We traveled clockwise from Ensenada....

Bajaboy - 4-12-2010 at 02:09 PM

Sounds like a blast!

Cypress - 4-12-2010 at 02:09 PM

Pacifico, Thanks for sharing.:D

BajaWarrior - 4-12-2010 at 03:34 PM

Pacifico,

We saw your group at "Cow Patty's" last week. We stopped in for a beer heading north to our place at Playa Hermosa/Santa Maria after cruising the new road south to Isla Huerfinito.

We pulled in about 20 minutes before you left driving this truck.

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

[Edited on 4-12-2010 by BajaWarrior]

Pacifico - 4-12-2010 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Pacifico,

We saw your group at "Cow Patty's" last week. We stopped in for a beer heading north to our place at Playa Hermosa/Santa Maria after cruising the new road south to Isla Huerfinito.

Bummer, I didn't know you were a fellow nomad......I woulda bought ya a cold one!!! Maybe next time? Cow Patty's sure was hopping!!!

BajaWarrior - 4-12-2010 at 04:08 PM

Pacifico,

Thanks for the offer! Cow Patty's has been pretty reliable this year, especially when the wind blows as it was that day. Our place is about 20 miles north of there.

BW

Curt63 - 4-12-2010 at 07:51 PM

SICK!

David K - 4-12-2010 at 07:57 PM

TOO COOL... :bounce::bounce::bounce:

torch - 4-12-2010 at 07:58 PM

yep I saw the group around cuatro casas (my place). you had to double back at my back fence. I remember the vw with the wide axles.

BAJACAT - 4-12-2010 at 08:30 PM

nice report pacifico looks like alot fun, I can see alot of water at Laguna Hanson... cool:coolup:

Bob H - 4-12-2010 at 10:34 PM

Wow, great trip report with some SERIOUS offroading equipment. What a great route, and you all must have had a great time! For sure.

Thanks,
Bob H

TMW - 4-13-2010 at 08:46 AM

Love the pixs and what a great trip. I too noticed the water at Laguna Hanson, looking good. I see Coco is still riding that little ATV. Thanks for the trip report.

TMW - 4-13-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Pacifico,

BW is that a custom camper?

Pacifico - 4-13-2010 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by torch
yep I saw the group around cuatro casas (my place). you had to double back at my back fence. I remember the vw with the wide axles.

I remember going around cuatro casas....Is your house on the end or north a few???

torch - 4-13-2010 at 08:11 PM

yea that was a pretty good group. I have the place with trees, bushes and a 3 story deck. that looked to be a great trip by the speed you guys could go .

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

Quote:
Originally posted by torch

I remember going around cuatro casas....Is your house on the end or north a few???

BajaWarrior - 4-13-2010 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No, just a lumber rack with plywood wired on the sides to shade our pooches when the weather is hot, they're black as you can see and actually love the enclosure complete with square portholes.

They go with us on every trip south and ride along in the Toyota almost each time we go out for a cruise.

That's they're enclosure in the photo for traveling from home to home.

[Edited on 4-14-2010 by BajaWarrior]

cjesme - 4-14-2010 at 04:50 AM

WOW, Great trip and GREAT Photo's. Your trip is our dream vacation. Maybe next year!!!

Pacifico - 4-14-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, just a lumber rack with plywood wired on the sides to shade our pooches when the weather is hot, they're black as you can see and actually love the enclosure complete with square portholes.

They go with us on every trip south and ride along in the Toyota almost each time we go out for a cruise.

That's they're enclosure in the photo for traveling from home to home.

BW, What beautiful dogs/friends you have!!! Makes me want to get some pups!!!

Cyanide41 - 4-14-2010 at 07:25 PM

Can I hitch a ride next time?

BajaWarrior - 4-14-2010 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

BW, What beautiful dogs/friends you have!!! Makes me want to get some pups!!!

Thanks, they're good dogs, good and spoiled dogs that is. Great companions, and gentle too.

Sorry for the hijack. The trip you have taken is dream trip for most here!

bajaandy - 4-16-2010 at 03:43 PM

Sweet. Nice TR. Looks like you guys had a good run.

classicbajabronco - 5-24-2010 at 03:10 PM

who makes those buggies.....I want one. How much the run more or less? Makes the top speed? How much travel? They look sick!!!:wow: