BajaNomad

CODE SF 200

tunaeater - 4-16-2010 at 09:16 AM

Heading down to the CODE San Felipe 200 in about an hour. The course is a 60 mile loop with 55 miles of whoops, sand and rocks. :fire::fire::fire:

Anybody that has been down the old puertecitos road knows what I'm talking about. The bikes/quads will do two laps and the cars and trucks three laps. We will be 61X riding a Honda XR 650..:yes::yes:

Come say hi if you see us.

Baja Lou we should be at registration about 5:30 pm if you are around....

TMW - 4-16-2010 at 02:57 PM

Good luck Paul. That course sounds like it is just up your alley, Whoops, sand and rocks.

Barry A. - 4-16-2010 at 03:43 PM

The "sand and rocks" don't bother me, but the "whoops" drive me (and my rig) nuts!!!!! That road is essentially destroyed for all by the races---------a pet pieve of mine, yes. :mad:

Barry

rts551 - 4-16-2010 at 04:01 PM

Barry

When was the last time you were there?

David K - 4-16-2010 at 09:05 PM

Last New Years, BajaRob and Connie rode in my new Tacoma along with Baja Angel and I on the Old Puertecitos road... south of the Sulfur Mine, for several miles... seeking a mine road... It is very whooped and rocky, and it is probably most likely due to flash floods ... and the racers, who are the only ones to use the old road anymore... (except for Baja nuts like us)!

Now, another nearby place where it was really whooped-up (back in Jan. 2000) was Caņada el Parral ('Azufre Wash') between the Sulfur Mine and Valle Chico... I had been over it many times in the previous 20 years since I found the abandoned road... (Dec. 1978) after searching for it many times.

SCORE ran through it the previous year, so I had no other explanation for how the previous smooth sand track got so whooped... as it was never that way before...??

Barry A. - 4-16-2010 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Barry

When was the last time you were there?

About 4 years ago. I am making the assumption that it is still pretty bad, but your right I have no recent information.

Barry

David K - 4-16-2010 at 10:24 PM

Rafael Orozco (sp?) (the owner of Puertecitos) maintained the road from San Felipe by running a grader over it every so often... from around 1960. The new road was built in 1982 and first paved all the way, over 10 years after... no need to maintain the older road via the sulfur mine... so it has slowly deteriorated to a very tough 4WD or off road racing track.

bajalou - 4-16-2010 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tunaeater

Baja Lou we should be at registration about 5:30 pm if you are around....

Sorry Paul, I'll miss it. In Yuma for the Willie Nelson concert.

TMW - 4-19-2010 at 08:20 AM

Tunaeater how did you do? Win I hope.

tunaeater - 4-19-2010 at 08:20 PM

We finished 4th place in our class. We had a lot of fun, enjoyed the race and the great town of SF. Actually, we had a really good time on the beach after the race. The weather was perfect and the water was warm enough to swim. We even caught a few fish from the beach down by my dads.

TMW - 4-20-2010 at 09:17 AM

Great wish I had been there.

tunaeater - 4-20-2010 at 04:46 PM

Will you be there for the B500 ? The drawing is this weekend..

TMW - 4-21-2010 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tunaeater
Will you be there for the B500 ? The drawing is this weekend..

Yes, I have my room reserved in Ensenada for Thursday, Friday and Sat. I plan to prerun a week or two before.