BajaNomad

Bay of L.A. to Loreto by Boat

bajamikey - 4-18-2010 at 03:46 PM

Will be leaving june 1st on a 4 day fishing trip from Bola to Loreto. The boat is a 23ft striper c.c. with a 135 gal fuel tank with a 225 yamaha f.s. I'v made a list of things to bring on a trip like this(water,gas,food,frist aid kit,etc) it's a long list. I'm sure there's a nomad that has done a trip like this, would love to hear his or her story. any comments -or+

Bob and Susan - 4-18-2010 at 04:08 PM

watch out for weight...

gas water is HEAVY

it's easy to spin a prop

i've seen it in the past

think stops for gas
or a land back up truck to meet you in locations with supplies

Diver - 4-18-2010 at 04:57 PM

Whereas you will probably be fine, I would definitely carry a kicker and 6 gal tank.
Maybe you can get a Nomad to bring you a few gallons extra in Mulege' ?

Also consider a "dump bag" in case the boat goes down or you are robbed or ???
Some cash, water, power bars, shoes, shirt, sunscreen, etc...

BajaBruno - 4-18-2010 at 07:42 PM

If Google Earth is accurate, that is about 250 miles straight-line. Probably considerably more if you are gunk-holing around. If you carry enough fuel to do that, it could be a 12 hour trip. Some think you can't carry too much "stuff"--I believe that with enough gas, a reliable motor, a good anchor and long rode, you can empty a lot of that other crap out of the boat. Oh, and a good VHF, both for company and to hail help. If your calculations don't work out, you can always jerry jug some fuel in Mulege--I did it lots of times in the days before Mexican fuel docks.

Hook - 4-18-2010 at 08:06 PM

Forget stopping in Mulege for fuel, when Santa Rosalia is close enough and has a fuel dock.

Concentrate on safe anchorages between San Francisquito and Santa Rosalia!!! That will be your most dangerous stretch. No really great anchorages if the weather comes up. Highly recommend the Jack Williams book. DK will provide a link, I am sure.

Santiago - 4-18-2010 at 08:22 PM

I've done an over-nighter from BOLA to San Francisquito: 65 miles and at my most efficient (24 mph) about 2.5 hours or so. If you are following the coast, be very wary of rocks a bit south of Roca Bernabe at the south point of Animas. Must be a 1/4 mile or so off shore and scary. I've had fog in this area in June.
Do you know what your MPG is at various speeds? If not, get a fuel flow meter and learn your consumptions. U2U me and I'll send you a spread sheet that will make it easy to convert speed and fuel flow if you have the old style meters that simply give you the flow. Newer ones convert to mpg.
I'm guessing that your boat is 3 or 4 mpg trimmed for best efficiency. I don't think you need a lot of extra gas as you would fuel up at Santa Rosalia.
Goes with out saying to have way more water than you think you'll need but don't carry in one or two containers; I've had my containers wear a hole and loose all the water before I figured out where the water was coming from. I now carry my emergency water in 1 gallon jugs spread all over the boat in different holds.
As Hook says, read the Williams book on this stretch until you know it by heart.

4baja - 4-19-2010 at 06:39 AM

that time of year you will allso have south winds so your MPG will drop. i wouldnt go without a kicker moter, could save your butt. and for sure a spare prop and a can of kitty hair(fiberglass repair) in case you do hit a rock.

David K - 4-19-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Forget stopping in Mulege for fuel, when Santa Rosalia is close enough and has a fuel dock.

Concentrate on safe anchorages between San Francisquito and Santa Rosalia!!! That will be your most dangerous stretch. No really great anchorages if the weather comes up. Highly recommend the Jack Williams book. DK will provide a link, I am sure.

There are two editions (Pacific and Gulf)... find them offered here:

Baja Boater's Guide by Jack Williams

There is also the older SEA GUIDE (Vol. II) BAJA by Leland R. Lewis Oct. 1971.

SEA GUIDE: BAJA

The great classics include:

'The Log from the Sea of Cortez' by John Steinbeck, 1951.

The Log from the Sea of Cortez

'Cruising the Sea of Cortez by Spencer Murray, 1963.

Cruising the Sea of Cortez

[Edited on 4-19-2010 by David K]

bajamikey - 4-19-2010 at 07:43 PM

Thanks to all for the feed back. I just order jack williams book. Thanks David

David K - 4-19-2010 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamikey
Thanks to all for the feed back. I just order jack williams book. Thanks David

You are very welcome... but a big thanks to Hook for the suggestion!

irenemm - 4-19-2010 at 10:58 PM

David
could you tell me where I can get a book on Baja wrote I believe in 1948 by Mr. Frank Alvarado.
I would so love to have that book.
Thanks
Irene
Posada Don Diego
Vicente Guerrero

Barry A. - 4-20-2010 at 07:07 AM

An additional book (if you can locate a copy) that I have found useful is----------:

THE COMPLETE CRUISING GUIDE TO THE MIDDLE GULF, Sea of Cortez--------by Gerry Cunningham (1994) (ISBN 0-9642450-1-9) Lib. of Congress # 94-67863.

It really is a "sailing" guide, but his descriptions of the coast are great, and thorough.

Gerry Cunningham also has many charts and maps of the Sea of Cortez.

Barry

David K - 4-20-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
David
could you tell me where I can get a book on Baja wrote I believe in 1948 by Mr. Frank Alvarado.
I would so love to have that book.
Thanks
Irene
Posada Don Diego
Vicente Guerrero

Hi Irene,

The book 'Baja California' was published in 1953 and was written by Ralph Hanc-ck, but he includes the three other members of the big Baja hunting and fishing trip: Ray Haller, Mike McMahan (who later produced the big Baja wall maps and authored his own book, 'There It Is: Baja!', and Frank Alvarado.

Here's a list of about 50 copies of the book for sale:

Baja California 1953

There is a You Tube video taken during their trip that has been posted here of their trip... quite interesting! See the 1953 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaiBWGc8PM8

The book is full of photos and is a great look at Baja in the early 1950's!

[Edited on 4-20-2010 by David K]

David K - 4-22-2010 at 11:39 AM

Irene... did you get the details you asked for?

irenemm - 4-23-2010 at 02:21 PM

David,
thank you SR. Alvarado lived here for at least 25 years. I will search it out
Again a very heart felt thank you
Irene Martinez
Posada don Diego

irenemm - 4-23-2010 at 02:28 PM

BTW
Sr. Frank's son was Secretary to President Ronald Reagan in the 80's His name is Ronald Alvarado.
Frank Alvarado was one of the nicest people in the world and the most helpful. He Baja like you do.
He is missed by all his friends.
Again thank you so much and the video is just great
Irene

David K - 4-23-2010 at 04:25 PM

How cool was that! El gusto es mio, Sra.!