BajaNomad

Our Trip to the "Other Side" (of Bahia Concepcion)during Semana Santa

shari - 4-19-2010 at 08:48 AM

In Bahia Asuncion, Semana Santa is known for being windy and cold. It is the only week long stretch that the fishermen get all year so is the only holiday for going out of town. We used to go to Agua Verde but this year decided to do something different and try some panga camping to avoid the masses.

The first night we were spoiled by Laurieboats at their fine digs south of Mulege. They have a gorgeous place and we were treated like royalty…man that girl can mix a lethal drink!!!!

We went into Mulege that night to hook up with Mulegena, Mick and Pompano for dinner which was wonderful…Mick filled our scuba tanks and provided some good diving tips for the area. We slept soundly in this awesome guest house!

Stocked up on the essentials…beer, ice and a bit of food and showed up at Pompano’s for coffee where he graciously allowed us to store our truck and trailer and gave us more ideas for where to camp. He was sworn to secrecy as to our wherabouts...good thing we didnt have to kill him!

Man, that whaler was loaded down…and I consider us pretty light campers!!!

We cruised up and down the other side of the Bay of Conception and the beach we planned on camping on was occupied by a single nudist…dang. But we found another sweet campsite just down the coast a bit. It was perfect…a big arroyo full of firewood but best of all, it was chocked full of scallops and oysters we could forage for at low tide. We sure ate our fill of them!!!

At night we could faintly hear the thumping bass beat of the music at the popular beaches across the water and even the trucks roaring by which made us happy to be in our private place away from the madding crowds. Here is the other beach across the bay from us.

The shells were incredible and even Shami did some beachcombing…that dawg will fetch anything!!

The focus of this holiday was diving for Juan and relaxing for me!

So while he was underwater, I enjoyed photographing the birds around, reading and swilling beers.

I loved watching this guy fish.

Midweek, we did a beer and ice run...checking in with Pompano and copilot.

dropped off some air tanks...man it was almost too hot for me...I needed a dunk every few minutes.

after a couple hours of civilization...we zipped across the bay to our little paradise...happy to be home to enjoy the sunset.

part 2 to follow.

[Edited on 4-19-2010 by shari]

Barbareno - 4-19-2010 at 08:58 AM

Wonderful wonderful wonderful. I just showed Ottis a picture of his crazy mom.

Part II desert exploration

shari - 4-19-2010 at 09:31 AM

One morning while walking through the cactus desert, we came upon some horses so later that day I scanned the area with binoculars and saw a ranch up in the hills. So the next morning we set out on a hike in hopes of meeting the ranch family so we could ask directions to some cave paintings Pompano told us about. Unfortunately, the ranch dwellers were probably out partying on "the other side".

So we decided to explore the canyon nearby. The ranchers had built some really cool corals at the entrance to the canyon as well as an impressive presa.

these were the only rock painting we found!

when we climbed up around the damn, we entered into a wonderland of rock pools and palms where we spent a long time relaxing...soaking up the beauty.

the colours and reflections were stunning...and the flowers...ohhhhhh

This turned out to be my favorite part of the vacation as the desert was so beautiful but what we discovered up the canyon was one of those magical baja places.

Not finding the cave paintings will ensure our return hopefully in May when we will mount a jeep expedition with Pompano and copilot as our guides...cant wait!

many thanks to all of you who made our vacation so wonderful....viva la baja.

[Edited on 4-19-2010 by shari]

Natalie Ann - 4-19-2010 at 09:39 AM

Neat report, cool pix. Thank you.
Good to know you two had a fun time away from work.;D

nena

Lauriboats - 4-19-2010 at 09:44 AM

Wow, looks like you had a great time, beautiful photos. Hope to see you back again next year.

David K - 4-19-2010 at 09:47 AM

GREAT Stuff Shari!:bounce:

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-19-2010 at 10:02 AM

Shari I am glad you and Juan had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing.

David

Mexitron - 4-19-2010 at 10:18 AM

What a cool discovery! Nice!

willyAirstream - 4-19-2010 at 10:49 AM

Thanks for the great pics and comments!!!

BajaGringo - 4-19-2010 at 10:54 AM

Wonderful photos and report Shari. Sounds like you guys had a memorable trip - you deserved it!!!

Barry A. - 4-19-2010 at 01:12 PM

What a great report and pics, Shari. Thank you!!!

That is the most stripped-down Montauk Whaler I have ever seen :lol::lol::lol: Makes it very practical indeed, with tons of room for "stuff"---------love it!!!

That is a wonderful area you went to.

Barry

shari - 4-19-2010 at 01:32 PM

we bought the whaler used just for the 4 stroke engine which we put on our fishing panga as well as the center console....but when we put the old motor on it and took her for a spin...dang...we LOVED it.It is soooo stable and you can load a ton of gear on it and it makes a fantastic dive platform. I much prefer putting deck chairs in it and having it open to use for whatever reason. You can damn near park a car on that thing.

Cypress - 4-19-2010 at 01:37 PM

Shari, Thanks for sharing your vacation.:D

tiotomasbcs - 4-19-2010 at 01:52 PM

C,mon, ladies. Juan was stylin in his Speedos, no?! The hot sun might have been an opportunity for that all around tan not seen too often in Asuncion! More like Tarzan & Jane than Elvis & Priscilla, ha, ha.

KurtG - 4-19-2010 at 02:39 PM

Its been a few years since I hiked up the arroyo (El Salto)behind that presa but remember how lovely it was. Arroyo Pintado is a bit south of where you were. I have always enjoyed the solitude of "the far side" and the beauty of those mountains.
Kurt

bajafam - 4-19-2010 at 09:27 PM

Wow!!! You guys sure know how to get away!!! I'm sorry we missed you, but we will definitely catch you guys on our next trip...we are thinking August/September. We ate all the pistachios we had brought for you, but have already started a new stash for you :) Thanks for "shari"ng your trip! The pictures are fantastic!

BornFisher - 4-19-2010 at 10:06 PM

Gracias for the report and pics. Geeeze, I want to go there!

irenemm - 4-19-2010 at 11:11 PM

Wow
those are great pictures and some awesome places to go. Glad you guys can get away from your business to explore and relax.
thanks really enjoyed it.
Irene

Great report on our BOC peninsula, shari.

Pompano - 4-20-2010 at 05:00 AM

Hey girl, it's a marvelous point of land over there, isn't it?

Yes, looking forward to camping & jeeping with you next season. For starters, we can do San Sabastian, Painted Canyon, Baja Patty's, and the Mine. All kinds of adventures await us. ;)

Camping in the middens of the oldtimers is a trip back in history....

Painted Canyon Gallery
... and touring their art studios is truly inspiring.

I couldn't agree more on the floor plan change in your boat. For a camping or general hauling boat, the Montauk as a 'tiller boat' is a huge, huge improvement over a center console. Of course, I've always been a tiller fan when it comes to serious fishing, so I'm pretty biased. :yes:

Juan with the Whaler heading across Coyote Bay.
Thanks to you and Juan for stopping by..

We had fun getting 'fuzzy' with you. :rolleyes:

Hasta Pronto, amigos!

Tiomiguel - 4-24-2010 at 07:39 AM

Looks like you had a great time Shari, glad the Whaler is getting good use as a recreational boat. Looks like a really neat area over there and I see Juan is now doing scuba with tanks I presume form Gypsy's.
Juan must be able to stay down forever with those huge double tanks.
Glad you got some well deserved time off before the busy season.