BajaNomad

$ for pesos????

stulege - 4-21-2010 at 08:06 AM

anyone in the Mulege area willing to exchange their pesos for dollars? Banks wont change them for me anymore...gracias..

capt. mike - 4-21-2010 at 08:21 AM

sure Stu - what's the rate you want, are looking to get?
i'll bring a bunch when i return May 7th and bank on some arbitrage.... :biggrin::biggrin:

gnukid - 4-21-2010 at 08:29 AM

Not sure why having pesos is a problem for you? There is no point to having dollars in Mexico? If you are mexico you can spend them, the peso is rising to the dollar so it is to your advantage. You can buy anything you want or deposit it in the bank, when you return north any bank will exchange them?

So what is your concern? Any? Earth to Stulege?

Bajaboy - 4-21-2010 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Not sure why having pesos is a problem for you? There is no point to having dollars in Mexico? If you are mexico you can spend them, the peso is rising to the dollar so it is to your advantage. You can buy anything you want or deposit it in the bank, when you return north any bank will exchange them?

Sounds to me like he is looking to buy pesos, Jerky...but nice lecture anyways.

Osprey - 4-21-2010 at 08:44 AM

Ah Professor Gnukid again. Now you have learned to love the question mark. Your lectures are better when you let us know what is a question and what is a statement. Any bank will exchange them? Pesos? The Bank of Minot? This lecture has been very short but painful none the less.

gnukid - 4-21-2010 at 08:58 AM

Okay, I hope there's nothing wrong with asking? I was wrong. You see if someone in Baja were keen on selling dollars for pesos right now at low rates, it would be suspicious, but not unreasonable. I was alerted because I have run into what are apparently desperate money launderers lately since they have no place to go, though I noticed in Cabo and at many resorts dollars are the norm.

If you need to change dollars I have heard many large retailers and groceries are happy to take them at an excellent exchange and they provide change in pesos.

gnukid - 4-21-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

You are really that offended by misunderstanding that you need to insult me? Not exactly the cool surfer athlete apparently. Inappropriate anger is often associated with poor diet. Think about it.

Bajaboy - 4-21-2010 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

You are really that offended by misunderstanding that you need to insult me? Not exactly the cool surfer athlete apparently. Inappropriate anger is often associated with poor diet. Think about it.

:?:

Bajahowodd - 4-21-2010 at 04:53 PM

Eat your veggies and understand that when in Cabo, you never have to have pesos. Makes sense to me!:P

shari - 4-21-2010 at 07:11 PM

I wish I'd have exchanged money at our local store here at 12-1 as the bank in Vicaino took my dollars I deposited into our peso account...but at 11.85-1...dang.

DianaT - 4-21-2010 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I wish I'd have exchanged money at our local store here at 12-1 as the bank in Vicaino took my dollars I deposited into our peso account...but at 11.85-1...dang.

The peso is getting stronger. We bought pesos at the Chula vista Costco days ago at 11.95.

rts551 - 4-21-2010 at 08:07 PM

Official exchange rate is 12.28. wonder what the bank is going to give me?
11.95 isn't too bad then

torch - 4-21-2010 at 08:22 PM

Quote:

a little harsh response IMHO

tripledigitken - 4-21-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by torch
Quote:

Bad diet!:lol:

mulegemichael - 4-21-2010 at 08:33 PM

stingray????......where is B of R????....oops!

DENNIS - 4-21-2010 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by torch

Oh....that was nuthin'. It gets better.

Hey neighbor, tell em to bite ya!

Sharksbaja - 4-21-2010 at 11:23 PM

Well, that'll teach Stu a lesson! :lol:

Poor bastard posts 3 TIMES and our purist watchdog gives em a good bite and for what?

WTF is up with that? :rolleyes:

It's only money.......

gnukid - 4-22-2010 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Poor bastard posts 3 TIMES and our purist watchdog gives em a good bite and for what?

It's only money.......

If someone's third post is 'meet me in Baja to exchange money', I would say no not a good idea. Anyone who either travels to or lives in Baja has access to reputable services to exchange money, if not there is a reason and its not a good one.

A programming message throughout the media recently is dollars are going away for combinations of other reserve currencies. this message reflects that meme.

To each his own, in the case of a new poster with only meeting to exchange money on the mind, I express 'use caution' in this circumstance.

This speaks to the issue what we are getting at here on line, every-time a 'new poster' posts something which is problematic many of you give the new poster 100% credibility.

Do not meet people you don't know to exchange money. Use common sense.

toneart - 4-22-2010 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

It's only money.......

If someone's third post is 'meet me in Baja to exchange money', I would say no not a good idea. Anyone who either travels to or lives in Baja has access to reputable services to exchange money, if not there is a reason and its not a good one.

A programming message throughout the media recently is dollars are going away for combinations of other reserve currencies. this message reflects that meme.

To each his own, in the case of a new poster with only meeting to exchange money on the mind, I express 'use caution' in this circumstance.

This speaks to the issue what we are getting at here on line, every-time a 'new poster' posts something which is problematic many of you give the new poster 100% credibility.

Stu is a member in good standing with the Mulege community and he has property here. He is also an avid fisherman. Mulege isn't that large and doesn't have as many retail outlets that will convert currency, but a few will if they know you and/or you do business with them... if you catch them at the right time. Bancomer will not.

He is a newby on The Baja Nomad, asks a simple question and then obviously discovers that our "community" is not that hospitable. Notice he hasn't been back since our "community" ran with his post into left field. Can't say that I blame him.:(

I can understand Gnukid's wary response but, in this case, I can vouch for Stu.:yes:

DENNIS - 4-22-2010 at 11:59 AM

Baptism By Fire. :fire::fire:

gnukid - 4-22-2010 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Quote:

It's only money.......

Stu is a member in good standing with the Mulege community and he has property here. He is also an avid fisherman. Mulege isn't that large and doesn't have as many retail outlets that will convert currency, but a few will if they know you and/or you do business with them... if you catch them at the right time. Bancomer will not.

He is a newby on The Baja Nomad, asks a simple question and then obviously discovers that our "community" is not that hospitable. Notice he hasn't been back since our "community" ran with his post into left field. Can't say that I blame him.:(

I can understand Gnukid's wary response but, in this case, I can vouch for Stu.:yes:

That introduction helps a great deal to alleviate some concern. Other posters also mentioned businesses which do exchange and who presumably check the money as well, we hope.

Furthermore my concern is two-fold, the Federal Reserve published a press release that anyone exchanging money or doing businesses with named launderers were also guilty of a crime, they named a large number of people in Baja in their PR.

And, people may demand their banks and business serve them by honoring legal currencies and money exchange. The consumer leads practices by demanding the services they need not vice versa.

Look for this theme of scarcity of dollars to appear often in the coming days and week.

capt. mike - 4-22-2010 at 12:55 PM

i know Stu too. he's good peoples.
can't blame him if he doesn't want to hang here - you have to have thick skin.
not for everyone.

i vote for GnuKid as GnotHead of the month!! :lol::lol::lol:

rts551 - 4-22-2010 at 01:36 PM

Quote:

That introduction helps a great deal to alleviate some concern. Other posters also mentioned businesses which do exchange and who presumably check the money as well, we hope.

Furthermore my concern is two-fold, the Federal Reserve published a press release that anyone exchanging money or doing businesses with named launderers were also guilty of a crime, they named a large number of people in Baja in their PR.

And, people may demand their banks and business serve them by honoring legal currencies and money exchange. The consumer leads practices by demanding the services they need not vice versa.

Look for this theme of scarcity of dollars to appear often in the coming days and week.

Can people now "demand" that US businesses "honor the peso?

oldjack - 4-22-2010 at 01:41 PM

going forward to 2011.... the new 100's will create quite a problem for exchanging/use/depositing etc.....

Care to 'Splain?

Bajahowodd - 4-22-2010 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
going forward to 2011.... the new 100's will create quite a problem for exchanging/use/depositing etc.....

Udo - 4-22-2010 at 04:02 PM

The US Feds are going to print a new $100.00 USD bill to keep ahead of the counterfitters.

mtgoat666 - 4-22-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:

newkid: your theory assumes that post count is correlated with trustworthyness. i think post count often correlates with pompousness and affliction with last-word-itis :lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 4-22-2010 at 04:39 PM

Yeah....TAG! YOU'RE IT!!

stulege - 4-22-2010 at 07:06 PM

i'm overwhelmed with the warm and fuzzy responses, gracias

mulegemichael - 4-22-2010 at 07:25 PM

again, stingray, wasn't B of R the way to go???...you KNOW you miss us...or...her.....and aren't these guys just a bunch of banditos?..."i don't need no stinking positive s**t!"...geez

irenemm - 4-22-2010 at 07:35 PM

Hey we at the Posada Don Diego in Vicente Guerrero
will take all the dollars you have. Of course we have no pesos to give back to you we just want your dollars. Stop and drop them off on your way South so you don't have to worry about getting them exchange. we will exchange from your hand to ours. 7 days a week and hey even 24 hours a day.
good luck exchanging them

rts551 - 4-22-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
Hey we at the Posada Don Diego in Vicente Guerrero
will take all the dollars you have. Of course we have no pesos to give back to you we just want your dollars. Stop and drop them off on your way South so you don't have to worry about getting them exchange. we will exchange from your hand to ours. 7 days a week and hey even 24 hours a day.
good luck exchanging them

Great Irene. You give new meaning to "Casa de Cambio"

irenemm - 4-22-2010 at 08:52 PM

Hey the way business is got to think of something.
change also
change from your hand to mine.
got any taken?
we are here to provide service and please the public that is one of our jobs

capt. mike - 4-23-2010 at 05:08 AM

well...how's that hope and change working out fer ya??:biggrin::biggrin:

DianaT - 4-23-2010 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Actually, it is working quite well----a very definite improvement and more to come. :yes::yes:

mtgoat666 - 4-23-2010 at 08:33 AM

Quote:

stock market is up, stocks are still paying good dividends, and personal business is good and steady (thank you stimulus funding!) :bounce::bounce:
also good to see some libs back on supreme court, and health insurance reform, and progress on financial regulatory reform :bounce::bounce:
ab32 is rolling out in california to fight climate change, hopefully will change the way we produce and consume energy, and hoping to see that go national in a few years :bounce::bounce: did you see the recent Nova episode on ab32?

capt. mike - 4-23-2010 at 09:26 AM

when your great grand kids finish paying for it i'm sure they'll be relieved for THEIR great grand kids.
or - if it keeps up maybe they'll be wearing the same soviet inspired garb or burkhas and those funny head wraps.....

Nov 2010 can't come soon enuff...:P

mtgoat666 - 4-23-2010 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
when your great grand kids finish paying for it i'm sure they'll be relieved for THEIR great grand kids.
or - if it keeps up maybe they'll be wearing the same soviet inspired garb or burkhas and those funny head wraps.....

mikey,
don't be an old fuddy duddy. fashions change, and i wouldn't be surprised to see republican women wearing burkhas in 50 years, especially after republicans accomplish their goal of repealing the bill of rights, taking away a womens right to choose, recreating a feudal class system, and eliminating separation of church and state.

hopefully, when that happens, California will secede from the USA, and leave federal dept with people east of the colorado river :lol::lol:

Why no dollar exchange??

lookingandbuying - 4-23-2010 at 11:00 AM

I am wondering what is up for the locals not wanting to take dollars. Is this supposed to be part of a huge anti-money laundering operation by the Mexican and U.S. government??

I passed through Playa Tijuana last week with dollars and had a hard time using them for my purchase at a major grocery store.

Anyway, I just can not understand why dollars are out all of a sudden. I think the locals have been making more money on the exchange rate than they were on the goods they sell. They were all happy in the cambio business!!

Will be exchanging to Pesos at the border for sure on my next trip down.

Mexico's central bank like dollars!!!

lookingandbuying - 4-23-2010 at 11:19 AM

Mexico cenbank says peso gains not excessive-paper
Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29am EDTRelated NewsMexico peso firms after central banker's comments
Wed, Apr 21 2010
Mexico peso sinks, stocks see worst fall in 2 months
Fri, Apr 16 2010
Mexico peso suffers worst fall in over 2 months
Fri, Apr 16 2010
Mexico's peso close to topping out -Barclays
Wed, Apr 14 2010
Mexico peso hurt as Greece woes dent risk appetite
Tue, Apr 13 2010
* Central bank chief says peso playing catch-up

* Peso recovering from sharp losses during global crisis

MEXICO CITY, April 21 (Reuters) - Mexico's Central Bank Governor Agustin Carstens said a two-month surge in the peso's value was not excessive, according to an interview published in El Economista newspaper on Wednesday.

A recovery in Mexico's exports to the United States has fueled a 7.5 percent increase in the peso MXN= MEX01 since February, leading some market players to speculate Mexico could ramp up purchases of dollars in the foreign exchange market.

The currency's appreciation makes Mexico's exports more expensive. There is also a concern in some emerging market countries that extremely low interest rates in the United States have pumped up asset prices too much, setting the stage for a big fall once the U.S. Federal Reserve starts to increase its overnight lending rate, currently targeted at 0 to 0.25 percent.

Carstens, however, said Mexico was just playing catch-up in world markets, where the peso has trailed a recovery since the global financial crisis exploded in late 2008.

"It would be hard to say that the appreciation has been excessive," Carstens said.

Mexico's central bank has been buying U.S. dollars since March to build a war chest of reserves ahead of any possible volatility in global markets when the Fed eventually clamps down on easy money.

Higher rates in the United States could lead yield-hungry investors to pull their investments out of emerging market countries like Mexico.

"We have to follow the behavior of these investments very closely when U.S. rates start rising," Carstens said.

Carstens said in March that Mexico has no plan to build up more reserves. (Reporting by Jason Lange; Editing by Padraic Cassidy)

bajalou - 4-23-2010 at 11:28 AM

Went to pay my Telnor bill a couple days ago. They will not accept any credit cards that are not issued by Mexican banks. Nor checks. Hadn't been there for a while but they said the policy changed last Nov. Have a Mex. bank debit card and that too is not accepted. So to the ATM and get pesos.

DENNIS - 4-23-2010 at 11:30 AM

There was a time a while back on Lopez Mateos, the tourist zone in Ensenada, that the shops wouldn't take Pesos. Dollars only.
Times sure have changed.

Sharksbaja - 4-23-2010 at 03:04 PM

This will surely cost them tourist bucks. Who wants to run around finding pesos while on the road. The clever ones will ALWAYS take good ol' USofA currency. My feeling is that there is such little US currency floating around Mex and the uncertainty of what an actual "Dollar" is worth in exchange.

Looks like the screws get tightened once again. Looks like Mex will be in limbo for a looong time.:o

mulegemichael - 4-23-2010 at 04:41 PM

Stingray, you have created a firestorm here

ArvadaGeorge - 4-23-2010 at 04:48 PM

Some time is does seem Mexico is trying to chase the tourist away

good one Goat.

capt. mike - 4-23-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Mike,
don't be an old fuddy duddy. fashions change, and i wouldn't be surprised to see republican women wearing burkhas in 50 years, especially after republicans accomplish their goal of repealing the bill of rights, taking away a womens right to choose, recreating a feudal class system, and eliminating separation of church and state.

hopefully, when that happens, California will secede from the USA, and leave federal dept with people east of the colorado river :lol::lol:

that's rico. and phunny stuff...:lol::lol: