BajaNomad

Knot

maspacifico - 4-28-2010 at 04:58 PM

I got busted off this morning. I was fishing a dead sierra from the day before. I tied a fresh leader with two hooks because I have had half a sierra come back before. I used a palomar knot on both hooks because I've never had one slip before. I got hooked up and was on solid when it went away. Brought the line up and the inside, not the end, palomar knot was the one that broke, no way for that one to slip. Fresh 50 lb flourocarbon, 30 lb main line. The knot that broke was the one through the nose. I guess I need some advice on how to tie that kind of setup!

Osprey - 4-28-2010 at 05:13 PM

Perfection knot on the nose lets the dead fish "swim", palomar should be good for 50 and under.

maspacifico - 4-28-2010 at 05:32 PM

Maybe I was trying to make it too simple because the second palomar would tie on without breaking the line? I'll look up "perfection knot". This is the second big fish I've lost with this new leader, though the other one frayed the leader. I have been using 30 lb. Guess it's better to hook them and lose than not at all....but ahhhhhh.

maspacifico - 4-28-2010 at 05:43 PM

Ok.......I tie a perfection loop and leave a long tag end that I tie the other hook to. Makes sense.
Thanks

Udo - 4-28-2010 at 07:31 PM

I think I bought the wrong set of fish-knot instructions. They show 20 diferent offshore fishing knots, but sadly no perfection or palomar knots.

Perfection Loop

Skipjack Joe - 4-28-2010 at 08:06 PM

We use it to connect flyline to the leader. The knot is very compact and goes through the guides easily.

perfectionloop.jpg - 12kB

Udo - 4-28-2010 at 08:40 PM

Thanks, Skip...

I'm printing a copy of it rat now!

mulegejim - 4-28-2010 at 09:23 PM

This may be of interest. Jim

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

bajabass - 4-28-2010 at 09:34 PM

Good web site, thanks. Anyone try the improved clinch, with a double loop through the hook/lure split-ring? Try it, it works well!

mulegejim - 4-28-2010 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Good web site, thanks. Anyone try the improved clinch, with a double loop through the hook/lure split-ring? Try it, it works well!

I have - it is a good knot, however, I tend to use the San Diego Jam Knot. Jim

Russ - 4-29-2010 at 06:01 AM

San Diego Jam Knot: http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html Video

Pescador - 4-29-2010 at 06:13 AM

Part of your problem may be that you are using one of the flourocarbons that are stiffer and any of the clinch type knots will cause premature breaking. I experiment with different knots for different conditions all the time and the only sure way to find where the problems are occuring is to tie your knots in the usual way and then test to breaking point with a scale. Seagaur is probably the most limp of all the flouro's but if you take a twenty pound test line with a perfection knot, usually you will break at somewhere around 15. A Palomar is usually a great knot for floro but you have to look at every knot and make sure that the line does not cross over itself on the hook ring because when pulled under pressure it will cut into itself. Since your knot broke instead of the 30 lb main line it is very obvious that you had an improperly tied knot that gave way at less than half the breaking point of your line. The 30 pound test should have broken way before the 50 flouro.
Russ is right about the San Diego Jam knot being very strong and I use it in a doubled up line configuration and it always tests over the breaking strength of the line, but should be retied after a couple of big fish as it will start to get too tight on the hook and eventually cut into itself.
When you get your line back and you see a little curly end then you know the knot gave way, whereas if you have a round break and the line is straight, you know the line gave way and the knot held.
Finally, when tying any knot and especially with flouro, make sure that you use saliva, water, or something to lubricate the line and pull hard to seat it properly.

[Edited on 4-29-2010 by Pescador]

bajabass - 4-29-2010 at 07:16 AM

I hate those little curly ends, always means a lost fish. Seems when I break off on structure is when I have tied a great knot. Anchored by 50lb in a little flat bottomed skiff with 120ft out is fun:no:

maspacifico - 4-29-2010 at 07:52 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll try some more knots. I got some YoZuri flourocarbon and it is stiff...50 is really tough to tie a palomar and pull it tight. Even with spit!

pascuale - 4-29-2010 at 08:37 AM

Seaguar knot is what we use in the San Diego Fleet. Never breaks. Flouro to Mono

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-tie-seaguar-knot-fishing-2...

Johannes - 4-30-2010 at 06:29 PM

There is another link to how to make knots for fishing
<http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog&Website=>
Have fun

Johannes - 4-30-2010 at 06:32 PM

Hey Udo,
want to see how you are printing these
;D:spingrin:

Udo - 4-30-2010 at 06:39 PM

I'm not one of the most prolific computer nerds, but I simply got to the page shown and either right-click the mouse and press "save as", or I can also press Ctrl-P and the page automatically prints.

The only thing I'm prolific on is tequila drinking on a beach.:bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by Johannes
Hey Udo,
want to see how you are printing these
;D:spingrin:

Johannes - 5-1-2010 at 09:32 AM

Udo
I was referring to the animation of the knot demo
Saludos

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 03:37 PM

did you lubricate the knot with saliva before you cinched it and remember to pull the knot tight using the tag end?...if not you probably burnt your leader and weakened it, making it the weak link in your setup. a palomar or uni is a 100% knot when tied correctly.

a pair of fishing pliers really help cinch that sucker down. I use Yozurri flouro as well in both 50 and 100lb.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by classicbajabronco]