BajaNomad

Your first fish,do you remember that far back?

baitcast - 5-6-2010 at 04:50 PM

I was looking at some old film and ran into this,lake trout with some help from Dad I,m sure,had to be late 40,s.

DENNIS - 5-6-2010 at 04:56 PM

My first fish was a Tuna Sandwich. Catholic family and that's what we had every Friday night.
It's amazing....I still love'm.

Cypress - 5-6-2010 at 05:04 PM

Don't remember, but it was probably a bluegill.:D

castaway$ - 5-6-2010 at 05:15 PM

Went fishin with granpa for trout in the lake about 46 years ago, haven't stopped fishing since.

Russ - 5-6-2010 at 05:53 PM

can't remember..... What was the question?

David K - 5-6-2010 at 06:23 PM

Maybe not my FIRST fish, but my first Dorado!:bounce:

This was in 1966, off Cabo San Lucas... after driving our Jeep down from Tijuana... 800 miles of unpaved roads back then.

stimbo - 5-6-2010 at 07:43 PM

That's cool David. Quite the adventure and nice fish for your efforts.

jim

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by stimbo]

stimbo - 5-6-2010 at 08:03 PM

Looking at DK's photo, I too remember fishing long ago with my dad in Baja. I don't think "pangas" were around yet, they were "lanchas," not necessarily that seaworthy, but they seemed to work. We hired a "lanchero" and headed out far from shore. I recall looking back at the coastline, hazy in the distant fog... my feet wet and cold from the water seeping in from the bottom of the boat, the water had a slick on the surface from the fuel leaking from the motor. However, fishing was REALLY good in those days. The fact that we had no life vests seemed like a minor inconvenience and would have gotten in the way anyway of the fish we were hauling in. Those were my first Baja fish. They were packed in ice and placed into an ice chest my dad made especially for the trip. We ate well.

Barry A. - 5-6-2010 at 08:39 PM

I was 9 years old------near Independence Creek where it runs thru the little town of Independence in Owens Valley (Eastern Sierra). The City had shut down the creek for a few hours--------I ran over to the creek and started crawling on my hands and knees down the creek bed feeling in all the nooks and crannys and felt and grabbed a large trout and pulled it out with my hands-------it measured 15 inches long and was one of the biggest trout I have EVER caught-------I remember it like it was yesterday. :o

Barry

wessongroup - 5-6-2010 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
can't remember..... What was the question?

Yep....:lol::lol:

Howard - 5-6-2010 at 09:10 PM

Does Lox and cream cheese on a bagel count?

BornFisher - 5-6-2010 at 09:27 PM

#11 perch caught off some dock near where my dad worked in Newport Beach!

dtbushpilot - 5-6-2010 at 09:32 PM

10 years old, Zebco 202, razor clams for bait, San Diego bay, 6" sculpin.....even then I knew not to grab one with my bare hands....

Funny that I can remember that but can't remember what I had for breakfast.....dt

Barbareno - 5-7-2010 at 05:28 AM

I was knee high to a grasshopper, the city stocked the duck pond at the local park on father's day.

The first time alone in a tin boat, must of been 10, wondering can I do this all by myself. Yep I can.

And then the first time in a belly boat. Going round and round in circles.

My next first will be out of a kayak. And it will be huge. Can't wait. Now I will need to learn how to gaff.

woody with a view - 5-7-2010 at 06:27 AM

ob pier. probably a queenfish.

bajajudy - 5-7-2010 at 06:52 AM

Forest Lake, brim caught with a worm on a cane pole.
edit to add....circa 1957

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by bajajudy]

Bob H - 5-7-2010 at 09:22 AM

Was back in the mid 50's, in Miami, along a canal near my house, with a cane pole, using biscuit doe, on a hair hook strung from a red and white cork bobber, catching Brim and sometimes a Mullet or two.

We'd bring'm home and my Dad would bury them around our fruit trees (key lime, avocado, grapefruit and mango). Fantastic fertilizer!

Only later on in life did I learn that mullett fish can be pretty tasty.

Ever heard of the annual Mullett Toss at the Florabama Bar on the Florida/Alabama State line? Quite an event.

Bob H

Oso - 5-7-2010 at 10:11 AM

A grunt, as best I can recall. From an inlet near Sarasota, learning from my "Uncle Fish". He told me that if I threw my first one back I would always have good luck fishing. Seems to have worked reasonably well.

baitcast - 5-7-2010 at 10:34 AM

Just what is a Florabama?......What does one do at such an event,Mullet toss? does sound like fun I think:lol:
Rob

DanO - 5-7-2010 at 11:08 AM

Trout, Clear Lake California, 1967 or thereabouts, from a tin boat with my Dad.

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2010 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast

caught my first fishes bare-handed, he-man style. no sissy fishing poles for me.

tidepooling on beach.

Mexitron - 5-7-2010 at 11:40 AM

I think it was an baby opaleye from a large tidepool in Three Arch Bay, Laguna...8 or 9 yrs old...first fish in Baja was a triggerfish at Gonzaga, around 1975.

First fish that I can remember catching.

BMG - 5-7-2010 at 11:46 AM

36" catfish from Lake Cachuma above Santa Barbara, CA.

Bob H - 5-7-2010 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Just what is a Florabama?......What does one do at such an event,Mullet toss? does sound like fun I think:lol:
Rob

It's an old bar (now rebuilt since the hurricanes) that is situated on the Florida/Alabama State line. Half of the building is in Florida and the other half is in Alabama. (or so it used to be before rebuilding, maybe it still is).

Here is the link to this year's mullet toss (was in April)
http://www.florabama.com/Special%20Events/Mullet%20Toss/mull...

Bob H

Cypress - 5-7-2010 at 11:58 AM

Mullet, AKA "Biloxi Bacon"!:yes: Call 'em "Lisa" south of the border.:biggrin:

Sunman - 5-7-2010 at 12:34 PM

Trout, Lake Casitas, 1970, 5yrs old.

comitan - 5-7-2010 at 12:45 PM

The whole story, a little creek in Capitoa Ca. behind a nunnery 2 -6" trout took them home to cook, was told you have to cook and eat them with their heads, so I did and guts too, sure were sandy.:biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 5-7-2010 at 02:50 PM

My first fish was a queenfish on a handline from the far end of Santa Monica pier. Like Mexicans, Dad looked down on guys fishing with rods. "Can't feel the bite real well that way", he used to say. And he was right. There's nothing like that rat-tat-tat feeling on your index finger telling you something's on the other end of the line.

bajabass - 5-7-2010 at 07:23 PM

I was probably 7 or 8. It was either a bluegill or a rockbass out of the Grand River in Lansing, Michigan. No poop, a piece of line with a hook, on a broken old rod, with a twig for a float. Nightcrawlers were under the nearest tree or rock. Not Huck Finn, but close. Hell, we used to smoke grapevine!:barf: :yes:

estebanis - 5-7-2010 at 08:46 PM

Growing up in Oregon I caught my first fish when I was still in Diapers. Later on Grandma even trusted me to hold the rod all on my own. Nowadays I just use a rodholder and a bell...:lol: JK
Esteban

Bob H - 5-7-2010 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Was back in the mid 50's, in Miami, along a canal near my house, with a cane pole, using biscuit doe, on a hair hook strung from a red and white cork bobber, catching Brim and sometimes a Mullet or two.

We'd bring'm home and my Dad would bury them around our fruit trees (key lime, avocado, grapefruit and mango). Fantastic fertilizer!

Only later on in life did I learn that mullett fish can be pretty tasty.

Ever heard of the annual Mullett Toss at the Florabama Bar on the Florida/Alabama State line? Quite an event.

Bob H

Wow, just found out that a Brim fish is a Bluegill fish. Never knew that.
Bob H

It was a WALLEYE...

Pompano - 5-8-2010 at 07:28 AM

..that started my career as a fishing bum..those Waldos are so much fun to catch..AND EAT!

My Dad was the cuprit who started it all..

Natalie Ann - 5-8-2010 at 09:13 AM

First fish when I was 9... bluegill and crappie at Lake LeAquaNa in Illinois. Each time out my mom would freeze 'em in a black garbage bag, then when we had a whole lotta fish.... barbecued little fishies for the entire extended family. Makes me drool just to remember those feasts.

nena

Timo1 - 5-8-2010 at 09:19 AM

I was about 4 years old and we fished in old bomb holes that the Japanese
left behind after WWII
There was a stream connecting them and we caught bull-heads from them
I think thats what they were anyway
fishing and swimming in bomb holes....we just took it for granted
Forgot to mention this was in Dutch New Guinea

[Edited on 5-8-2010 by Timo1]

baitcast - 5-8-2010 at 10:02 AM

Fishing and swimming in bomb holes,my god tell us more:o
Rob
I have fished the Kamloops Vernon area,Lived in Okanogan Wash. at the time.

[Edited on 5-8-2010 by baitcast]

sorry Rob!

woody with a view - 5-8-2010 at 10:18 AM

i remember my first Spotfin......

100_1434.jpg - 44kB

bajabass - 5-8-2010 at 05:02 PM

What is that beast??:O From the surf? Nice dinner!

Pompano - 5-8-2010 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
I was about 4 years old and we fished in old bomb holes that the Japanese
left behind after WWII
There was a stream connecting them and we caught bull-heads from them
I think thats what they were anyway
fishing and swimming in bomb holes....we just took it for granted
Forgot to mention this was in Dutch New Guinea

[Edited on 5-8-2010 by Timo1]

Hey Timo 1,

Mi amigo, Randy, and I also get a treat fishing near Japanese bombholes ...on Christmas Island....but we don't fish those..instead we go wading in the lagoons for some remarkable snook fishing. Quite the sights, eh? Amazing the things that happen to mankind.

Timo1 - 5-9-2010 at 05:35 AM

If only I knew then what I know now.....
We lived in 2 seperate places in DNG
One place was deep in the Baliem Valley jungles...rivers eveywhere
The fishing would have been fantastic
We didn't have the knowledge or the gear to pursue it
The other place was a missionary kids' home in Hollandia
This is where we learned how to fish the bomb craters
I was born over there and we returned to Canada when
I was 7.....long story
The fishing just got better and as far as I can remember has been a big
part of my life

wessongroup - 5-9-2010 at 06:12 AM

Green Lake up above South Lake out of Bishop... had hiked in with my Dad for the day.. Rye crisp and cheese, with a snicker bar for energy... was 8... caught a 16" rainbow native (1950) on a "hotshot wobbler"

Did not see a single person until we got back to camp that evening... used to be a different place, really glad my Dad took us kids so many places when young.. he didn't hunt, just fished and dug clams when we were down in Mexico.

He started taking us kids down to Mexico in 1952, deep sea fishing out of Ensenada.. again.. it was a different place... we used to shoot off fireworks in downtown Ensenada with the Police... once again the Mexican people were just super, to a couple of Gringo kids from the States having fun like we never had before... they enjoyed seeing a couple of kids having fun... plus we after a while had a bunch of Mexican kids playing with us... we had more money that we knew what to do with... think firecrackers were only a 10 cents a pack.. we had money from our page routes so we had like 10 dollars... we were giving quarters to other kids so they could have firecrackers as we were throwing them at each other... as you can see, it stuck in my mind.. ... after the firecracker war, we all had cokes and sat on the curbs which at the time seemed four feet high.... was always a blast down there when kids..... and still is ..... even as an old man...

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by wessongroup]

bajaponderosa - 5-9-2010 at 01:51 PM

My grandfathers dairy farm had a pond. But after many tries of casting my line and bobber with a worm for bait. My first catch was a Snapping Turtle. Sorry no fish were taken that day. :spingrin:

durrelllrobert - 5-9-2010 at 03:41 PM

don't rember the species but i do know that i ate it before i released it:lol::lol:

dizzyspots - 5-9-2010 at 06:09 PM

blugill on a cane pole with worms dug from my Grandma's garden...didn't bring a bucket, so when I started catchin a bunch of em...I dumped out the worms, stuckk the bluegills in the coffee can nose first and run up to the house for a bigger bucket

circa 1957 as well

Friendsville, MD ...Youghegennie River ran about 50 yards from her house

[Edited on 5-10-2010 by dizzyspots]

Sparetimewanted - 5-22-2010 at 09:22 PM

My first fish was a tomcod on San Clemente Pier in 64. My Dad could cast underhand with an open face reel. I still can't do that without a backlash. I put the fish in a clogged up drinking fountain on the pier. Two kicks later that fish earned his freedom and i laughed with my dad. Luckily we caught one more that we could take home to show Mom. Great memories in this thread.

Skipjack Joe - 5-23-2010 at 08:21 AM

A very moving story, for sure.

But a better ending would have been with grandpa and grandma adding to the rose bush also.

baitcast...another type of 'fish', perhaps?

Pompano - 5-23-2010 at 08:41 AM

For those days when you just can't go out fishing for real.

A good 'catch'..standing at the poker table...nomad htnfool :yes:

Best bait for these 'fish'..thanks, Rocky!

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 05:05 PM

Juneau AK Silver salmon....I wouldn't even touch it..Made dad put a stick through the mouth before posing for the photo. I can't remeber catching the fish much. But I do remember finding a bunch of money on the bank and 100's of lures in the trees.

Tomas Tierra - 5-23-2010 at 09:25 PM

1970 Brim (sunfish)..Holts Lake, Smithfield, NC.Out in front of uncle Georges boat house in the cypress trees. He still lives there. My grandaddy used to spit on the worms for good luck..

nancyinpdx - 5-24-2010 at 06:50 PM

uh i was about ten or so and had a stick with a piece of fishing wire and a hook on it i held it over a small waterfall and was excited when i felt something on my line. I pulled it in and discovered it was a rock! I ran to my family and friends and showed them my prey! And we all had a good laugh! :P

Curt63 - 6-22-2010 at 08:39 AM

I dont remember the fish, but I know who I caught it with. Here's me and Grandpa Al on the Goleta pier in 1970. We used to fish the Santa Barbara pier and Lake Cachuma too. Good times.

smlslikfish - 6-22-2010 at 02:43 PM

Estero Bay 1970 Corbina. This fish sent me on a lifetime chase that's still going on.

corbina.jpg - 21kB