BajaNomad

low profile baitcasters?

Santiago - 5-9-2010 at 09:22 AM

I'm getting ready to replace my inshore round style baitcaster and am leaning to a low profile. I've been fishing freshwater with a Shimano Curado on a Fenwick HMX for the last 2 years and prefer the balance and feel of the low profile reels. Line capacity is not an issue anymore using braid line. Particularly interested in the Toro reels from Abu Garcia. Anyone use these or have another suggestion? I need to stay in the $200 range.

dtbushpilot - 5-9-2010 at 09:26 AM

Stick with the Curado, just need to clean it more often. I love mine and so does Russ (I think)....dt

Santiago - 5-9-2010 at 09:33 AM

If I recall you have yours on a Salt Striker? I snapped mine in 2 different places last trip and replaced it with a 7' Fenwick HMX. What size braid do you use? I have 25# on my freshwater.

dtbushpilot - 5-9-2010 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
If I recall you have yours on a Salt Striker? I snapped mine in 2 different places last trip and replaced it with a 7' Fenwick HMX. What size braid do you use? I have 25# on my freshwater.

My new one is on a salt striker mostly because Cabelas was offering a combo special that made the rod basically free. The other is on a Shimano Teramar, 7'6". The first one snapped about 6" up from the butt the first time I put pressure on it. It was replaced immediately with shipping and apologies included. I also have an 8' Teramar with a Shimano Trinidad TN14. Both rods have a long butt section. I like both of the rods, they're about $129.

I spool them all with #50 Spectra braid and vary the weight of the fluro top shot (usually about 15 or 20 feet) depending on what I'm fishing with or for. I usually use 15 or 20lb on the Curados and 20-40 on the Trinidad. I use the Trinidad to cast heavy stuff a long way, sometimes with disastrous results. One screw up when making a "distance commitment" and you're headed back to the barn. I think I'm going to try JB hollow braid on the Trinidad to eliminate the knot at the leader.

There are a lot of good rods and reels out there for less money. The salt water environment is hard on equipment that isn't specifically designed for salt water (like the Curado) so no matter what you chose in a low profile reel plan on stepping up your maintenance schedule.....or buy a new one like I did.....maybe I'll take better care of this one..........naaaaaaa....dt

Russ - 5-9-2010 at 01:53 PM

David is right, I love my Curados. Both the 200 & 300. I have 30# Power Pro a braided line http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?i... on both and use either a 6 to 10' 10# or 15# fluorocarbon top shot when surf fishing and straight to the lure when trolling.
With the 300 I matched it with a Fenwick HMG 7 1/2' extra heavy rod
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?i...
With the 200 I like the medium light 9' Shimano Claris.
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Clarus-Salmon-Steelhead-Castin...
The Fenwich has a lot of back bone but still kicks a 5/8 oz. lure out pretty far and trolls well. I'm still working on my first dodo or decent rooster to see just how well it handles real fish.
The 9' Shimano is just a real joy to catch any thing on.
The nice thing about the Curado is NO backlashes once the brake is tuned for lure weight.
Edit: sorry about the URLs you'll have to copy & paste the whole thing I haven't figured out how to get the long URLs to work here.

[Edited on 5-9-2010 by Russ]

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 08:49 AM

my votes for

1. Quantum cabo pt 30 widespool( this reel rocks!!, it is made for the salt with ceramic drag)

2. Shimano calcutta 300

3. pflueger supreme, (trion also is good)

#2 and #3 need more cleaning, but I clean my gear everytime it's used.

I also run 30lb braid....but I use p-line. This line stood up to a 400lb blue marlin for about 10 minutes
until the fish jumped the 4th time and landed on the leader, the 80lb leader parted from the braid at the knot!

It was the leader that actually broke!

just my .02

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by classicbajabronco]

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 08:51 AM

as far as rods..if it's not a lamiglas or Loomis...it's just a pole!

Russ - 5-23-2010 at 09:37 AM

I just got a 9 1/2' noodle salmon/steelhead rod/pole for the Curado 200. I can't wait to have a decent fish on it. Crazy FUN!:)

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 12:29 PM

noodles are ooodles ..of fun. What line class? I have a 11' 2-6# and they are a blast...Never tried it here thou..

Tight lines

Russ - 5-23-2010 at 01:44 PM

8 to 14# line 3/8 to 3/4 oz lure. Can't imagine an 11' model but would sure be interesting.
We may not catch the big boys but what ever we catch will fill like one:o

classicbajabronco - 5-23-2010 at 02:06 PM

I used mine for Silvers and steelhead. On 6lb. My budddy used 4lb, he catches up to 15lb silvers on the setup. There is a great book on ultra=-light steelheading from the great lakes region. Called Ultralite steeheading I believe. I am from Seattle so I got lots of funny loks with mine on the wetside of the state.

Iflyfish - 5-24-2010 at 07:17 PM

Have landed lots of steelhead, walleye and salmon on the Columbia with my noodle, up to 20#, really gives great action to the lures, in my case trolled wiggle warts, the action drives the fish nuts. I just grin when others look askance! Tight lines!

Iflyfish

Doug/Vamonos - 5-27-2010 at 11:14 PM

The only inshore fishing I do anymore is for bass in front of camp on the beach or drifting in my boat when I don't want to run to the islands or offshore. I like regular bass reels. My favs are diawas and quantums. Nothing fancy, but I usually don't like the ones that cost less than $100. That seems to be the magic number in terms of cost/quality. I don't often buy Shimano but I really like the newest Curado. For swim baits I usually use Berkeley Fireline 16lb, but I'll probably re-spool with 6lb mono, since it's usually smaller spotties I'm targeting. My rods are usually 7 feet and rated for 10-14lb with a medium fast action.

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by Doug/Vamonos]