BajaNomad

baja 500??

capt. mike - 5-12-2010 at 03:09 PM

course not out yet?
anyone have any intel as to where it goes? and by San Felipe?

David K - 5-12-2010 at 03:34 PM

Hi Mike,

I just checked Score, RDC (Race Dezert.com) and Off Road.com and no map YET. However, our very own TW has posted that the gossip says it is nearly the same as last year's... Perhaps some changes in direction or leaving Ensenada?

Here is last years... When the map is online for this year, I will post...

UPDATE... 2010 map added:

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by David K]

TMW - 5-12-2010 at 05:42 PM

A couple of good sources said that at the drawing Sal said it is basically the same course as 2009. On their schedule of events sheet on the web site under pre-running the begin and ending of the pre-run indicates to me it will be the same direction as last year. There could be some additional milage around San Felipe, we'll just have to wait and see. McMillin has a pit crew going to the top of the summit.

Elena La Loca - 5-13-2010 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
course not out yet?

Oh, si, we have the "intel" but, if we told you, we'd have to kill you!

Patience, grasshopper.

surfer jim - 5-13-2010 at 08:07 AM

Can you say when the map will be out?

Pre Running Starts May 22

estebanis - 5-13-2010 at 08:21 AM

Map should be out one week before so teams can plan. So we should see the map on score's website in the next few days. I am sure looking forward to the race. 39 Trophy Trucks entered!
Esteban

kill me is ok - but can

capt. mike - 5-13-2010 at 09:46 AM

you resurrect me? i mean...Bill does have amazzing baja powers...you too Girl!
seriously - i want to come to SF but if it does not go by close....it will be a waste.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elena La Loca
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
course not out yet?

Oh, si, we have the "intel" but, if we told you, we'd have to kill you!

Patience, grasshopper.

baja-chris - 5-14-2010 at 10:13 PM

Prerunning opens a week from tomorrow so there will be an offical map released next week but I can tell you it is mostly the same as last years 500 and I can tell you were it's different. It will still run clockwise.

There are some changes around Ojos and of course it's always a little different in/out of Ensenada as population and development happens.

On the outbound course there are changes around Tres Hermanos, we turn east at the junction a mile or so before Tres Hermanos but rejoin last years course before we get to the highway.

On the west coast, when we get to highway 1 we go south instead of north to steer clear of the new vinyards and take in a nice technical loop that rejoins last years course at the either/or as you approach the coast. Then at Erindira we run the inland route north up behind the farms.

We will be pounding stakes and putting up mile markers tomorrow on the east side (summit and desert) and the rest of the course will be marked during the week. There is some storm damage issues to be dealt with on the west side that are pushing both the final route/map and the marking to the last minute. And of course there may still be some changes due to land use issues around the ranched areas that may change the final details. So this is why the map won't be out for a few more days yet.

The east side of the course is the same as last year.

capt. mike - 5-15-2010 at 06:04 AM

ok - so?? does it go reasonably close to SF for viewing?

David K - 5-15-2010 at 06:41 AM

Mike, if what Chris says is accurate, the race gets to a point about 35-40 road miles from San Felipe, at its closest (near the Hwy. 5 and 3 junction, Borrego Wash).

capt. mike - 5-15-2010 at 07:28 AM

bummer. too far away.

David K - 5-15-2010 at 07:37 AM

Too bad Mike's Sky Rancho north airport is closed... because that is right on the race course!

surfer jim - 5-15-2010 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for the info Baja-Chris.

surfer jim - 5-15-2010 at 07:05 PM

Sat. 6 pm......race dezert has a map up....check it out.

David K - 5-16-2010 at 11:23 AM

Here it is...

k-rico - 6-1-2010 at 03:44 PM

Approximately what time Friday will the trucks be going through the Erendira - Punta Cabras area?

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by k-rico]

dtbushpilot - 6-1-2010 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Approximately what time Friday will the trucks be going through the Erendira - Punta Cabras area?

[Edited on 6-1-2010 by k-rico]

The race will be on Saturday. We are on motorcycles so I can't be sure, perhaps 4pm or so for the leader. They will be starting at 10am. Maybe someone from a truck team could help out?.....dt

k-rico - 6-1-2010 at 05:20 PM

Saturday? Thanks! I thought the race was on Friday. Obviously I'm not up on baja racing. I'm assuming different classes start throughout Saturday. Is there someplace on the Inet that lists classes and start times?

I'm thinking about watching racers go by at Punta Cabras, but if they are rolling through there after dark, that's no good.

What's the best place on the central to west side for spectators? I'd like to stay somewhat close to the paved road. Some dirt road driving is OK but I'm in a 2WD pickup with a camper. No serious off-road stuff.

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by k-rico]

dtbushpilot - 6-1-2010 at 05:31 PM

http://www.score-international.com/races/1064/42ND_TECATE_SC...

This will get you to the SCORE web page for the 500.
I think average speeds are around 55 or 60 mph for the fastest trucks, you can look at the map for a good place to watch and figure about when to expect them. Get there early as it can get crowded.

You will probably have to copy and paste to get the web address

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by dtbushpilot]

David K - 6-1-2010 at 06:47 PM

10-4 on that... dt

Erendira is about 320 miles from the start... average speed of 50 mph (for the fastest racers)...

The first 4 wheeled race trucks/ buggies/ cars start approx. at 10 am, so expect the leaders by Erendira around 4-5 pm (gets dark around 7:30-8). The leading bikes may be coming through shortly after noon... as they start closer to sunrise!

Racers will be passing by all afternoon and all evening!

bajalou - 6-1-2010 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Saturday? Thanks! I thought the race was on Friday. Obviously I'm not up on baja racing. I'm assuming different classes start throughout Saturday. Is there someplace on the Inet that lists classes and start times?
[Edited on 6-2-2010 by k-rico]

Bikes usually start around 6am - 1 every 30 seconds followed by quads. 4 wheel (Trophy trucks, buggies etc. start 3 hours after last of the bike/quad classes go so as to not be running over them right at the start. This is around 10am.

DonBaja - 6-2-2010 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Too bad Mike's Sky Rancho north airport is closed... because that is right on the race course!

That looks to be about RM 236 or so..do you think that would be a good spot to set up camp to watch the race ?? Not pitting this year just watching and camping so thought I'd try something different then Borrego area RM 205 ish

Thanks

David K - 6-2-2010 at 06:00 PM

We watched the race from there in 1978... Too long ago to remember if it was extra exciting... Before that point, there are stream crossings and tight turns... But, you will be stuck until the racers have all passed.

DonBaja - 6-2-2010 at 07:02 PM

Think I'll go look around on friday am to see if the spectating and camping is good (I was there in March but didn't look for camping spots)...Check 2 closes at 5am sunday and CK 3 at 7am so I'm good with that. May be a little cooler at 1220' elevation than the desert floor at Borrego...

David K - 6-2-2010 at 09:39 PM

Yah, our last Baja 500 was in 2006 overlooking Valle de Trinidad... It was VERY hot and dry: http://vivabaja.com/606

David K - 6-3-2010 at 09:55 PM

Action in Ensenada begins tomorrow with registration and TECH inspection... a great time for all.

The race begins at dawn Saturday morning and runs to Sunday morning.

Good luck racers!