BajaNomad

Why do fish sometimes...

landyacht318 - 5-19-2010 at 02:32 PM

....attack or swim right next to a hooked fish?

A couple years back I caught a 40 inch long needle fish/garr type fish at the estuary by campo Rene, and that thing was being attacked by the same type of fish as I reeled it in. It looked as if it had been in a knife fight.

Another time in SW Florida, I caught a couple of these beautiful Gag groupers, and every time I got them close to the boat there were a couple others close by, but not visibly attacking. They appeared distressed at the hooked fish's predicament.

dtbushpilot - 5-19-2010 at 03:10 PM

When big fish attack little fish it causes a lot of excitement in the water which encourages feeding by the other big fish. Fish attack other fish that are injured or in distress because they are easier to catch.

I often see rooster fish of the same size following a hooked fish. I always imagine that they are his buddies rooting him on....."come on man, don't give up, shake your head again, keep pulling!"......maybe I have a vivid imagination......dt

DENNIS - 5-19-2010 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by landyacht318
They appeared distressed at the hooked fish's predicament.

And who says fish don't have feelings. This is incontrovertible proof. [well, it would be for me anyway] :)

DENNIS - 5-19-2010 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Fish attack other fish that are injured or in distress because they are easier to catch.

In my bar haunting days, that's the first thing I'd look for when I walked in the door...a girl on crutches. :lol:

Skeet/Loreto - 5-19-2010 at 04:59 PM

Dennis:

And look at you Now!!

DENNIS - 5-19-2010 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Dennis:

And look at you Now!!

I know. Sad...isn't it. :lol:

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 5-19-2010 at 07:06 PM

Hola, this is the friendly type of banter to be expected on this site.

thank you.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

landyacht318 - 5-19-2010 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

And who says fish don't have feelings. This is incontrovertible proof. [well, it would be for me anyway] :)

I was tired of eating fish at the time I caught and returned 4 of these guys. 3 of the times I returned one, I saw another greet it on re entry.

Those things had some serious shoulders on them, I was really expecting a bigger fish. I was not sure what they were at the time, or if they were legal to take, so I just snapped a photo, and quickly got them back in the water.

bajabass - 5-19-2010 at 08:45 PM

Feeding fish are in competition. They will fight for bait or lure. It is a very common practice to hook a fish or two, set the rods in holders, and catch more of the schooling, feeding, competitive fish. This works on tuna, dorado, bonito, calicos, ect. several times I have hooked 2 fish on one lure with 2 or 3 hooks, salt and fresh water. This happened several times in 3 days at El Salto, on topwater plugs! Delightful!!!:biggrin:

durrelllrobert - 5-20-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
[

In my bar haunting days, that's the first thing I'd look for when I walked in the door...a girl on crutches. :lol:

You didn't have to just pick on the cripples since all the girls in the places you hunted in were hooked on something:biggrin:

Bob H - 5-20-2010 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Dennis:

And look at you Now!!

Skeet.... that is hilarious! :D:lol::D
Bob H

acadist - 5-23-2010 at 06:39 AM

I think i remember a PETA offshoot saying something like this a few years back:P
Quote:
Quote:

durrelllrobert - 5-23-2010 at 10:13 AM

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
A little rod feels like a fish:lol::lol::lol:

durrelllrobert - 5-25-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote:

A couple years back I caught a 40 inch long needle fish/garr type fish at the estuary by campo Rene, and that thing was being attacked by the same type of fish as I reeled it in. It looked as if it had been in a knife fight.

I once participated in the test of a 2000 lb underwater explosive in the Chesapeake Bay that killed thousands of fish and blue crabs. Amongst these was a 6 ft long Gar fish that nobody knew swam that far north. And yep, it definitely looked like it had been in a knife fight :biggrin: